Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Death Bot posted:

"Hey..... ladies."

waste of internet posted:

Oh come on! I'd pay good money to watch footage of a goon working in Hollister/Abercrombie. I hear that part of the training/customer approach style is acting like a douche from SoCal. You're supposed to be all "Sup brah?" when a dude walks in, or something. Maybe that's another store, I dunno, either way, I'm just picturing a neckbeard trying to act all "burnt out surfer," while scaring away all the high school girls.

Now, I don't know if the EXPLICIT instructions in your employee handbook will say this, but it's pretty much spot-on. Hollister clothing is meant to have a southern California, beach bum, surfer guy/girl, mildly burnt-out vibe. A&F is more preppy. Hollister's clothes sell at a lower price point, but you'll find that most of the staples like polos and graphic Ts and jeans are cut/fitted almost exactly like A&F's, but with different logos and slogans and sexually suggestive phrases printed on them.

Granted Hollister is not my favorite place to shop for clothing, but I've been in there a couple of times. It's not literally "sup brah" - more like "Hey man" or "What's up" when you greet people. It's very casual, and if you're working in one of their stores, you are half retail employee, half clothing model. These roles appear to be equally important.

I've been through several successful retail interviews, and if you want to chat for a little while before you head over there, please feel free to PM me. I can give you some pointers.

Just one other thing - shoes. You're going to take our advice and dress casually/stylishly, I assume. Just because you're casual doesn't mean you can wear disgusting beat up sneakers. Actually being serious here - they can make or break the image you're trying to put forward, and it's something that a lot of guys (and some girls) don't think about unless they're dressing formally. Dress shoes would be equally inappropriate. Wear clean/new sneakers, or those distressed leather(ish) man flip flops. You know, if you've got mandals lying around. You will someday, if you work at Hollister. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PurePerfection posted:

Wear clean/new sneakers, or those distressed leather(ish) man flip flops. You know, if you've got mandals lying around. You will someday, if you work at Hollister. :colbert:

Dangerous pool, my friend. We don't know what the OPs feet look like. Don't do this if you're pale as a ghost.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Dangerous pool, my friend. We don't know what the OPs feet look like. Don't do this if you're pale as a ghost.

Eh, the stores are dimly lit, pale is fine.

But if you have Liz Lemon type foot problems or visible fungus or horrible foot odor... yeah, closed toe shoes.

However, not to worry - if you get the job, you'll be able to afford a pedicure to clean that poo poo up.

Edit: ...now I am imagining a fake-tanning attempt gone catastrophically wrong as Benny stops by the spray-tan salon on the way to the mall.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 5, 2013

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't know if it's the same at other retail places, but my sister used to work for American Apparel. She said that if you wanted to be hired there, you needed to only wear American Apparel clothing to the interview. That was one of the ways they weeded out people. Not sure if it's the same for other retailers.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

the runs formula posted:

I don't know if it's the same at other retail places, but my sister used to work for American Apparel. She said that if you wanted to be hired there, you needed to only wear American Apparel clothing to the interview. That was one of the ways they weeded out people. Not sure if it's the same for other retailers.

Not sure exactly how to phrase it, but American Apparel is a little...obsessed? weird? cultish? when it comes to company culture and work environments. If ANY retail store is likely to have a stick up its rear end about candidates dressing in their brand only, it's probably AA.

I think in most other places this comes down to manager's discretion, although Benny will absolutely be expected wear exclusively Hollister to work if hired. Most interviewers are going to be sympathetic to the fact that young people applying for retail jobs probably don't have enough money to build up a huge brand-name wardrobe on their own, which is why you get deep discounts on the clothing so that you can start wearing it as an employee.

It would be a nice touch if he can incorporate at least ONE Hollister item into his outfit for the interview, but I don't think it's a dealbreaker if he aces the interview. Do you have any friends who shop there? Maybe one could loan you a shirt?

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I might not be fashion conscious, but I am aware of aesthetics. Hollister is very much California Dreamin' by way of the Santa Monica/Newport beach surfer scene. So yeah, it's a much more laid-back and casual place. Also, my feet are clean. Funnily enough, I go through shoes in like six months at best, sandals in half the time. I also applied to the American Eagle in the same mall and they've got more of a high-end boutique vibe to them in comparison. The manager told me that they need someone immediately so I'm calling them until I get a hold of the hiring manager. Somebody wanna fill me in on AE?

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

I might not be fashion conscious, but I am aware of aesthetics. Hollister is very much California Dreamin' by way of the Santa Monica/Newport beach surfer scene. So yeah, it's a much more laid-back and casual place. Also, my feet are clean. Funnily enough, I go through shoes in like six months at best, sandals in half the time. I also applied to the American Eagle in the same mall and they've got more of a high-end boutique vibe to them in comparison. The manager told me that they need someone immediately so I'm calling them until I get a hold of the hiring manager. Somebody wanna fill me in on AE?

Hollister with a less insane CEO and lower price point, as awll as less obsessive branding, better lighting, less cologne and quieter music. Aimed at high school and college kids, real emphasis on typical American college lifestyle. They make really good underwear too, A++++, would wear again.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Generally, they're preppy (but not in quite the same overpriced, obnoxious way as A&F) - they target late teens/early twenties. They also have a couple of offshoot stores - 77kids and aerie (lingerie/pajamas). Much cheaper than A&F, moderately cheaper than Hollister. If you search clearance racks, you can easily get a nice polo or graphic T for $15-20 or less, which would be a smart thing to do if you're interviewing.

I personally think it would be a much nicer working environment than A&F/Hollister, if you do well in your interviews and have the option of choosing between the two. None of that poorly-lit, oppressive perfume-air, surfer-dude, tacky-pictures-of-shirtless-teenagers bullshit. Also, if there is music playing, it tends to be more ambient than I'M SORRY WHAT SIZE DID YOU NEED, I COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE GENERIC POP SONG THAT'S BEEN ON A LOOP FOR THE LAST SIX HOURS.

While I'm very pleased to learn that you have clean, mandal-ready feet, I'd probably stick to sneakers for AE. Otherwise, same advice applies.

EDIT: And to everyone who kind of had a chuckle at the prospect of a goon working at a trendy youth clothing retailer, it sounds like he visited these stores in person looking for jobs, so if they offered him interviews on the spot, I'm guessing they weren't horribly offended by his everyday appearance. The fact that two separate stores did so makes me think that it wasn't just an isolated incident in which Hollister was desperate and hard-up because PacSun poached all the quality SoCal burnouts or something.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 5, 2013

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
DON'T WEAR A BLUE BUTTON UP SHIRT TO AN INTERVIEW AT HOLLISTER. Good Christ man, wear a Hollister shirt! Something that isn't too branded or a graphic tee, they have decent polos. Don't wear a button up shirt. They want more "hip", not your Sunday best.

HappyAlpaca
Nov 10, 2012
Wear something easy to take off, every guy I know who has interviewed at Hollister here (UK) has had to take their shirt off at interview to check they meet the model looks requirements...

toby
Dec 4, 2002

This thread is making my head hurt, not kidding

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

trollby posted:

This thread is making my head hurt, not kidding

Every time I check back, it says there's been 20 updates or whatnot, and I always expect to see that OP has been hired, and every god-drat time, I'm disappointed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Toriori posted:

DON'T WEAR A BLUE BUTTON UP SHIRT TO AN INTERVIEW AT HOLLISTER. Good Christ man, wear a Hollister shirt!

OP has made it clear he doesn't have a lot of disposable income right now. Buying a shirt that's useful for one retail interview isn't a smart use of money.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP has made it clear he doesn't have a lot of disposable income right now. Buying a shirt that's useful for one retail interview isn't a smart use of money.

We've been beating this dead horse for at least half a page. If he doesn't already have a Hollister shirt and he can't borrow one for free, he should just wear a generic, logo-free casual shirt and jeans. Agreed that a dressy button-down shirt will make him look like a fish out of water.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

PurePerfection posted:

We've been beating this dead horse for at least half a page. If he doesn't already have a Hollister shirt and he can't borrow one for free, he should just wear a generic, logo-free casual shirt and jeans. Agreed that a dressy button-down shirt will make him look like a fish out of water.
It's not "dressy". It's a casual collar shirt.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 5, 2013

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not "dressy". It's a casual shirt like a Polo. It's the kind of thing I could wear open with a t-shirt underneath. I probably should've specified.

That's probably fine (but don't actually wear it all open). Good luck with the interview!

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HappyAlpaca posted:

Wear something easy to take off, every guy I know who has interviewed at Hollister here (UK) has had to take their shirt off at interview to check they meet the model looks requirements...

OP, listen to this poster. You're gonna wanna pop that shirt off the first chance you get. Don't wait for some stupid "model look requirement" bullshit. Just pop that sucker off whenever you feel it would be appropriate. The sooner, the better.

I'd be willing to bet your lack of callbacks stem from a lack of taking your shirt off during interviews.

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 5, 2013

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Benny the Snake posted:

It's not "dressy". It's a casual shirt like a Polo. It's the kind of thing I could wear open with a t-shirt underneath. I probably should've specified.

A casual shirt like a polo but you would wear a shirt underneath? Like a button all the way down? Do you have a plain black tee and dark wash jeans? Just a plain, clean shirt with no obvious logos? Tan slacks? I'm honestly trying to help you here because I've worked retail for five years and the only reason I'm not management is because I'm in university. Just make sure you aren't overdressing for the interview. How did looking at greenhouses go? Again, this is prime time for that kind of job and they need to find able bodied young men who can pick up bags of dirt and stuff. Girls can too of course but those kind of jobs are still in your favour.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Totally understandable and I've been there. That's what places like the Salvation Army and thrift shops are for. Not all clothes that come from there are cheap and gross, as long as you give it a wash and an iron it's good.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

OP, listen to this poster. You're gonna wanna pop that shirt off the first chance you get. Don't wait for some stupid "model look requirement" bullshit. Just pop that sucker off whenever you feel it would be appropriate. The sooner, the better.

I'd be willing to bet your lack of callbacks stem from a lack of taking your shirt off during interviews.

I'm going to go ahead and take this line of reasoning to its logical conclusion.

Don't wear a shirt. Make it easy. Time spent removing clothing during an interview is time wasted, time that you or they could be out on the floor, selling graphic Ts to the poor schmucks out there who don't meet the model requirements and need to cover up their disgusting flesh.

God, I hope we haven't overestimated his ability to perceive sarcasm :ohdear:

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
All the people focusing on the nitty gritty of interview outfits are wasting this dude's time.

I've sat in 200+ interviews and the only time I've paid any attention to someone's clothes is the one dude who showed up in an orange construction shirt and dirty Carhart pants for a IT Service Desk job. I seriously thought he was in the wrong room. Other than that, as long as it's appropriate, no one cares. Unless it's a serious business type thing, like a bank, law firm, financial firm, large insurance company, etc, a tie is approaching overkill and a suit is over the top. Anything more formal a button up shirt for a menial job is total overkill. Wearing a tie or jacket to a McD's interview is a joke. They don't want someone wearing a suit, they want someone that can work the fry counter for 8 hours and not be a bitch about it.

Just wear a nice button up shirt and some slacks and you're fine. No one cares.

BTW Abercrombie, Hollister and AE exclusively hire people with model confidence and model physique who will fit in with all their other employees with model confidence and model physique. You're not gonna get a job there and even if you do, you'll hate it and hate the other employees. You're wasting your time.

HappyAlpaca
Nov 10, 2012
Additionally people are never hired to Hollister by applying, they get picked out of the customers.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Mix up some salt water and dunk a polo hat in it. Let it dry. Once it's dry, take a belt sander to the brim, to make it look old and tattered.

Take the belt sander to a nice pair of dark-wash jeans. Holes are encouraged, however you don't wanna rip all the way through. You wanna leave some fringe fabric sorta holding the "holes" together.

Sperrys now come pre-worn. Get those. You might need to deodorize them from the last person who may/may not have worn them.

Go to Urban Outfitters and get some short-pants with a nautical object/animal pattern.

Now for the shirt situation. White undershirt foundation, green polo shirt (level 1), white polo shirt (level 2) and pink polo shirt for the top layer. All collars popped.

Pooka shell necklace. Throwback ray ban shades. Old rope for a belt. Don't forget LOTS of Axe deodorant.

"Which way to galoona beach, bro?"

HappyAlpaca posted:

Additionally people are never hired to Hollister by applying, they get picked out of the customers.

Wait, do they seriously approach customers and ask "Hey, do you wanna work here?"

waste of internet fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 5, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

HappyAlpaca posted:

And yet, they've given him an interview. Even if this is true, and the OP is never ever going to get the job (I know nothing about this brand, it could be true) he can still get interview experience by going along to said interview and doing his best.

HappyAlpaca
Nov 10, 2012

Wait, do they seriously approach customers and ask "Hey, do you wanna work here?"
Yes they seriously do. I know several people it's happened to. It's always people who go into the shop and have the right 'look', so unless OP has washboard abs he has literally no chance. I know a fair few people who work for this brand, and one who is in the head office. I'm sure they'll do the interview, but their hiring practices are generally not based around applications.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Take the belt sander to a nice pair of dark-wash jeans. Holes are encouraged, however you don't wanna rip all the way through. You wanna leave some fringe fabric sorta holding the "holes" together.

It's the spring season now, so he may want to consider belt-sanding a nice pair of light or medium wash jeans, instead.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Nobody, especially in retail (a very overworked/underpaid industry), is going to give an interview because they're bored. There are certainly interviews out of obligation, but unless the manager mistook Benny for someone else's kid, he has an interview because he might work there. I know half of us are laughing at Benny because is making a ton of contradictions/dumb rear end mistakes, but telling him he got a job interview with 0% of landing a job is retarded.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

It's still interview experience, at least. People spazzing out about dumb details are not helping in any way. If "helping" is even a thing that can be done here.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I can perceive sarcasm, PurePerfection.

reflex posted:

Nobody, especially in retail (a very overworked/underpaid industry), is going to give an interview because they're bored. There are certainly interviews out of obligation, but unless the manager mistook Benny for someone else's kid, he has an interview because he might work there. I know half of us are laughing at Benny because is making a ton of contradictions/dumb rear end mistakes, but telling him he got a job interview with 0% of landing a job is retarded.
And I'm rather surprised that I got it in the first place. But thanks.

And I finally figured out a better way to answer the whole "weakest quality" question. My weakest quality is that I hesitate often. It's because I strive to do my best, so I stop a moment to make sure that the given task is done to the exact specifications. "Measure twice, cut once", so to speak.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

"sometimes, I am more cautious than I need to be"

hesitant is a negative word, cautious is not

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

trollby posted:

"sometimes, I am more cautious than I need to be"

hesitant is a negative word, cautious is not
Point. My biggest flaw is that sometimes I become overly-cautious. Thanks.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
At the last interview I had, I replied to the 'greatest flaw' question by saying "hmm I'm not sure, you would have to ask my friends and family that question!" The interviewer laughed, we chatted a while and I got the job. :) This may or may not work, you would have to read the situation first, I think.

Good luck with the search, OP, I'm rooting for you. You've had jobs before, you can do it again.

Oh nearly forgot, one tip I've picked up for dealing with interview nerves and awkwardness is to think that you are also interviewing THEM. This was true in the days when the economy was booming and you could take your pick, interviewers would really try to sell the job to you. Things are different at the moment but it still holds true, I think.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I can't believe this thread is still going, two months later. Good luck with the interview OP, it can be hard to stay motivated but you seem to be doing a good job at it.

Remember that simply wanting money and independence is a great goal. You need to show your motivation for each and every job, even the lovely ones. You're probably not interested in a career in men's fashion or hamburgers or stacking crates or whatever the gently caress. You know this, the interviewer knows this. Don't SAY it obviously, just convey your enthusiasm for fat stacks of cash through your demeanour. Answer the poo poo out of an interviewer's questions, the job is not the goal, it's cash.

As a not so uplifting story, years ago I was broke and unhinged from quitting anti-depressants cold turkey. For some god-awful reason I had also grown a full beard and that, combined with a starvation diet of rice and ketchup made me look like a deathly ill hobo. My lease was running out in two months after which I would be homeless. So I started walking, and walking, and walking, applying for every job in sight. I would walk for 5 or 6 hours a day. When I ran out of places within an hour's radius, I started applying to all the jobs I had passed over before, because they were embarrasing or intimidating. Two weeks later, I finally got hired as a grill cook at Dairy Queen after the interviewer said I "looked clean" despite not having any food service experience at all (It turned out their previous cook had quit after getting heat stroke).

Sadly sometimes the jobs you get have nothing to do with your experience or what you think you deserve. Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Keep trying. Walk and bike every day to new places. Anything and everything within two hours or so is fair game. Have no shame.

Edit: and as postscript to the story, I ended up talking the manager into letting me work 12-hour shifts off the books. After half a year, I had enough money saved up to move into a swanky apartment with my best friend, quit the the grill job, and got a better paying job as a barista at a fancy bistro. gently caress yeah. Things didn't work out in the long term for other reasons, but that poo poo job pulled me out of a slump like nothing else.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 6, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I have good news. I found a job. It's a Mexican grill here in town and the manager told me to show up on Wednesday for training. I'm to show up in work slacks and work shoes so as far as I'm concerned I've got the job. I feel relied and happy. But I can't just take it easy. I have an interview tomorrow to show up to and more resumes to send out. My first investment is going to be the Resumes to Interviews service advertised on this fine site. Just thought I'd give some good news for once.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Benny the Snake posted:

So I have good news. I found a job. It's a Mexican grill here in town and the manager told me to show up on Wednesday for training. I'm to show up in work slacks and work shoes so as far as I'm concerned I've got the job. I feel relied and happy. But I can't just take it easy. I have an interview tomorrow to show up to and more resumes to send out. My first investment is going to be the Resumes to Interviews service advertised on this fine site. Just thought I'd give some good news for once.

'grats. Are you going to be front of house or back of house?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

My god. It has finally happened, maybe.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

trollby posted:

My god. It has finally happened, maybe.

gently caress. Don't jinx it. Knock on some wood RIGHT NOW.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Geniasis posted:

gently caress. Don't jinx it. Knock on some wood RIGHT NOW.
Knocking!

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Yes finally!
Now don't panic like the warehouse. When you start to feel overwhelmed, just focus on one task at a time, put meat on grill, now check microwave, then check buns, etc. Don't worry if you are slow the first week or two they fully expect that. They just expect you to remain calm and show up.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

My keyboard is wood and I type by knocking so don't worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castle Bidimar
Mar 27, 2012

by T. Finninho
I have started punching wood structures all around me. My hands hurt.

• Locked thread