Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Is anybody here familiar with how hard it is to get into the RMC through the ROTP? I've been looking at my options as a young dude with good grades from high school, and joining the military has been something I've been very interested in for a few years now. The idea of a paid for education, guaranteed work after graduating, and servin the country :canada: is very appealing. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

Is anybody here familiar with how hard it is to get into the RMC through the ROTP? I've been looking at my options as a young dude with good grades from high school, and joining the military has been something I've been very interested in for a few years now. The idea of a paid for education, guaranteed work after graduating, and servin the country :canada: is very appealing. Thoughts?

Yes, DO NOT go to RMC. You'll be surrounded by fags and forced to do really dumb, faggy poo poo all day for four years. After you're done, everyone will hear that you did RMC and think that you are a faggy poo poo, even if you're a cool dude.

HOWEVER, you can get the same perks, plus grow a beard and dreadlocks and live in your own apartment for which the military pays the rent, by doing ROTP at a civilian university. As far as I can tell, after meeting many RMC students from all of the combat arms and several support trades, there is no real reason to go to RMC. Unless you're dead set on making it to Colonel or above before your 50s and you want to ensure that that happens with no snags, but even then, RMC is really a poor substitute for capability.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CanadianSuperKing
Dec 29, 2008

tuyop posted:

Yes, DO NOT go to RMC. You'll be surrounded by fags and forced to do really dumb, faggy poo poo all day for four years. After you're done, everyone will hear that you did RMC and think that you are a faggy poo poo, even if you're a cool dude.

Don't use stupid hate-language like this here. By the way I got my YNAB shirt, thanks!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

tuyop posted:

HOWEVER, you can get the same perks, plus grow a beard and dreadlocks and live in your own apartment for which the military pays the rent, by doing ROTP at a civilian university. As far as I can tell, after meeting many RMC students from all of the combat arms and several support trades, there is no real reason to go to RMC. Unless you're dead set on making it to Colonel or above before your 50s and you want to ensure that that happens with no snags, but even then, RMC is really a poor substitute for capability.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The worst part about graduating from RMC is dealing with dipshit DEO and ROTP Civy U types with huge chips on their shoulders who constantly need to prove that they are way better than RMC types.

Thankfully once you get to the Lt(N) / Capt level this poo poo goes away because by then nobody cares what school you went to.

Also the part about RMC types getting promoted quicker is 100% fallacy as well (I heard it as a SubLt too but its just more bullshit barracks wisdom passed around by idiots, including recent Mil Col grads). There is no box on your PER for "check here if you went to RMC and want your super fast promotions bro", nor is it a factor in promotion boards.

If anything the biggest advantage to being an RMC graduate is on the civilian side, as there is a very large, well heeled and superbly connected alumni network.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Mederlock posted:

It's unlikely to be any harder than any other decent school in the country, but enrolment numbers are tiny compared to UofT or whatever (but then so are application numbers). Extracurriculars are very important, though. Talk to a recruiter.

Dipshit levels I've noticed on OJT are no higher for RMCs than other entry plans, although there have been a couple of bigtime Koolaid drinkers: young age plus a hyper-moto atmosphere is a dangerous thing. I've also met a couple of really cool kids who actually didn't make me afraid for the future so, whatever.

The problem is these people haven't done anything with their lives yet so all you might hear is "This one time, at RMC..." all their friends went to RMC, they played intramural volleyball at RMC and so on. Once they get some time in, like Jebus said, it doesn't matter where they or anyone went to school. I personally would have no desire to go there because of the extra stuff piled on top of academics, but also I'm old and have other things I like to do so again, you mileage may vary. Keep in mind that Officer Cadet pay is like 1500 take-home per month, so being occupied with all that stuff might actually be a good thing (I'm a prior NCM so make a great deal more than that so can indulge my hobbies a little bit).

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Mederlock posted:

I'm an NCM, and I met a few people that quit RMC because they didn't like the general attitude of the students. You do have less freedom at RMC, as far as I know, like you have to act military as opposed to the freedom of civi-side university. I guess an advantage to joining RMC is that you will have a greater chance to network with military folks.

In the military, you get charged for missing a day of course, but on civi-side, I believe you can miss as many days as you want, so if you find you're taking a course that doesn't need a lot of your attention, you have the freedom to treat the course however you want.

I've also heard first year students get hazed all year, and you have to do things like wear the monkey suit as long as you set foot out of your room, and it's taboo to get caught hanging out with any sort of senior student, even outside school.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to say gently caress the RMC and see about doing the civi school ROTP instead.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

ToeShoes posted:

In the military, you get charged for missing a day of course, but on civi-side, I believe you can miss as many days as you want, so if you find you're taking a course that doesn't need a lot of your attention, you have the freedom to treat the course however you want.

That's absolutely untrue. Even in civilian university you are still subject to every single military regulation and depending on how strict your ULO is you can/will get charged for missing class (considering the military is paying for you to be there) among other things. I've never been so scared in my life than when I saw my ULO show up at one of my classes and ream me out for being unshaven after class. Obviously not every ULO is as hardcore as he was, but it's still best to follow regulations in case someone does see you and it's better to start following directions when no one is watching so that it becomes ingrained for when people actually pay attention.

Personally, I was happy at Civi-U but if you want to join the Forces it's not necessarily in your interests to say Civi-U or bust since there are very few Civi-U spots per year. For instance, the year I was accepted only 60 applicants were accepted into ROTP through Civi-U.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 1, 2013

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

ToeShoes posted:

I've also heard first year students get hazed all year, and you have to do things like wear the monkey suit as long as you set foot out of your room, and it's taboo to get caught hanging out with any sort of senior student, even outside school.

None of this is true

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Lt. Jebus posted:

None of this is true

As a townie in Kingston I did see a number of first year students walk around in the city in the monkey suit. I really don't know if it was a rule that first year students had to wear it outside of the school but that was the general consensus/perception of us townies.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

scaper exile posted:

As a townie in Kingston I did see a number of first year students walk around in the city in the monkey suit. I really don't know if it was a rule that first year students had to wear it outside of the school but that was the general consensus/perception of us townies.

It changes year to year. I'm not sure the current college policy on walking out dress for first years but there has never been a policy where you had to wear a "monkey suit" (I'm assuming we are referring to the Scarlet dress here) outside of your room while still on college grounds.

In my first year we had to wear our "fours" out which were a blue semi formal dress. I don't think they even have that order of dress anymore. However the three first year classes after us had no such restrictions and could wear civvies out. This was all ten years ago tho, which is a life time in terms of how often policy is changed at RMC.

SunChips
Nov 16, 2006

Samu posted:

So you're upset that someone pretended to cut your hair?

I'd be upset if someone pretended to hold arms against me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
shuuuuuuuuuut uuuuuuuuppppppppppppp

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Mederlock posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'm going to say gently caress the RMC and see about doing the civi school ROTP instead.

It's not a choice. RMC looks at you first and gives yea or nay, then you get offered civ u or nothing at all - RMC most commonly rejects you if you don't have their prerequisite requirements (I didn't have BC math 12. Hello civ u).

You can engineer your way into a civ school by taking a program not offered at Kingston, like nursing or what have you, but that's about the only choice you get.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

compressioncut posted:

It's not a choice. RMC looks at you first and gives yea or nay, then you get offered civ u or nothing at all - RMC most commonly rejects you if you don't have their prerequisite requirements (I didn't have BC math 12. Hello civ u).

You can engineer your way into a civ school by taking a program not offered at Kingston, like nursing or what have you, but that's about the only choice you get.

Oh, okay. Well, I've got ~7 months before I need to get serious about applying, so this is something I'll have a fair amount of time to think about.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

compressioncut posted:

This must be what happened to me, because I was two years through a degree at civi u when I went ROTP, RMC would have made me drop one of my majors and my minor, so it wasn't really an option.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
I don't think RMC would be such a bad option. You would stand a much greater chance of developing lifelong friendships and professional contacts with a group of people who are going to experience the same things you are. If you run into someone from your RMC days down the road it would be a lot easier to pick up where you left off because you had that common experience.

That said I really do not believe that their is a RMC Illuminati running the CAF. For one thing RMC graduates get out for just the same as any other officers for all the same reasons. With that in mind it would be very difficult to put capable and dedicated people in positions solely out of the RMC grad population. (working 50+ hours a week and being lawfully wed to your blackberry is not realistic for everyone)

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Well I've made a decision of trying my luck to a trade change. Image technician is what im aiming for, I have been interested about this trade for quite some time and I know they don't hire that many per years but I'm willing to wait.

My only concern is that once I do my memo and give it to my chain of command, i'm afraid they will pretty much block me of anything and it can become a long wait for something that might not even come true in the end.

Anybody that can give me a tips on what to do?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Get on DWAN and read up all you can about the VOT (Voluntary Occupational Transfer) process. You should be able to find links through your unit BPSO page.

Obviously it is not up to your chain of command to either approve or block your request, in fact it should have nothing with them other than perhaps helping you get the paperwork done.

Good luck!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ub posted:

Obviously it is not up to your chain of command to either approve or block your request, in fact it should have nothing with them other than perhaps helping you get the paperwork done.

Good luck!

Yeah, because nobody EVER "loses" paperwork or procrastinates on things like OTs for personal conflicts and bullshit reasons. The military is, after all, a perfect meritocracy! :rolleyes:

Good luck will help though, and eventually things will get done and through.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

How long does enlistment take, on average? I put in my application at the start of the calendar year for trades in demand, trades which they had actually posted on outside job boards looking for applications for, and it took until a couple of weeks ago for my application to actually make it to the recruitment centre in town. I imagine maybe it'll begin to move again now that the new fiscal year has begun?

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

ub posted:

Get on DWAN and read up all you can about the VOT (Voluntary Occupational Transfer) process. You should be able to find links through your unit BPSO page.

Good luck!

Yes, I've read up everything and manage to find the request form and every procedure. The only thing that suck is that my demand have to be sent before April 18th with everything done or my application won't be hold for this fiscal year. I'm still gonna try my luck and see if it can be send before that date.

tuyop posted:

Yeah, because nobody EVER "loses" paperwork or procrastinates on things like OTs for personal conflicts and bullshit reasons. The military is, after all, a perfect meritocracy! :rolleyes:

Good luck will help though, and eventually things will get done and through.

Yeah that's my fear of having my boss just pretend it's been sent or whatever just so they don't lose yet an other MSE Ops. Well see, at best it's done this year, in my mind if I see it happen within the next 3 years I will be happy. I will be at half my 25 years contract by then and will have the chance to learn a new and more interesting trade.

Frog 1.0 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 5, 2013

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

How long does enlistment take, on average? I put in my application at the start of the calendar year for trades in demand, trades which they had actually posted on outside job boards looking for applications for, and it took until a couple of weeks ago for my application to actually make it to the recruitment centre in town. I imagine maybe it'll begin to move again now that the new fiscal year has begun?

Took me 4 months before the time I turned in my paper and the day I was sworn in back in 2004. Took my wife a full year last year. It depend of the trade and the timing but you're right that a new fiscal year usually means new course opening.

From what the recruiter said to my wife and me last year, now they try to wait as much as possible to make your basic training fit with your QL3 starting date so you don't wait too long in between. While back a few years ago they would just get you on basic training asap and you could be waiting more than a year sometimes in Borden.

You can always phone your local recruiting center and ask them about your application they are there for that as well.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm moving back to Canada in June or so, and I'm trying to get into the naval reserve in Victoria. I think I'm going to miss the summer basic. Does this roughly mean I'll have to hold out until the next series of Basic, or do I get to do something in the meantime? Also, how well will a remote application work out for me? I'm in the U.S. right now. :(

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You probably wouldn't have gotten in for the summer basic anyway. Recruiting is a long and tedious process.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
Yeah, June is far too late to be able to get on a summer basic. But if its the Reserves, I know in the Army side we usually run weekend basics (in fact its usually the only thing we got now...), so maybe they'll have that too?

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
A friend of mine is in the Canadian military, and he asked me a question about getting out of his contract. I only have experience with US military contracts, so I thought I would ask here:

"How long can your CoC hold you back if you want to get out and go back to the reserves and have a job lined up? Been in for less than a year regs, 6 years of reserves, specialty trade."

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Tell your buddy to talk to the release section on base. They'd be able to give him the best info.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Pufflekins posted:

You probably wouldn't have gotten in for the summer basic anyway. Recruiting is a long and tedious process.

Good to know, last time I submitted an application they had managed to fill the spot shortly after. v:shobon:v

swagger like us posted:

Yeah, June is far too late to be able to get on a summer basic. But if its the Reserves, I know in the Army side we usually run weekend basics (in fact its usually the only thing we got now...), so maybe they'll have that too?

I can't do army, too much Navy in my family history. :)

e. I'm going for officer, by the way.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Good to know, last time I submitted an application they had managed to fill the spot shortly after. v:shobon:v

I can't do army, too much Navy in my family history. :)

e. I'm going for officer, by the way.

No no, I mean't, in the Army side Reserves they run Weekend BMQs throughout the year, and I imagine that maybe in the Naval Reserve they do that too.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

compshateme85 posted:

A friend of mine is in the Canadian military, and he asked me a question about getting out of his contract. I only have experience with US military contracts, so I thought I would ask here:

"How long can your CoC hold you back if you want to get out and go back to the reserves and have a job lined up? Been in for less than a year regs, 6 years of reserves, specialty trade."

It's possible if he's on his initial engagement and is trained, they can deny his release until the contract is over. He could get out given a well articulated reason, but "because I have a better job lined up on civy street" may very well not work.

That said, I don't know what kind of contract you get on component transfer from the reserves.

Like the other guy said, tell him to contact the release section at his orderly room.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They're legally not allowed to deny a release. It's a volunteer army, you can leave anytime you want, as long as you don't mind waiting 6 months.

Edit: This was straight from release when I was strongly contemplating a VR.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Not if they've spent money training you.

QR&O posted:

15.33 - RELEASE ON REQUEST - NON-COMMISSIONED MEMBERS

The release of a non-commissioned member under Item 4(c) (Voluntary - On Request - Other Causes) of the table to article 15.01 (Release of Officers and Non-commissioned Members) shall not be approved unless:

the applicant has good and substantial reasons for seeking his release and the exigencies of the service permit; and

the applicant is not on active service by reason of an emergency.

QR&O posted:

15.02 - RELEASE AS OF RIGHT

(1) Subsections 30(1) and (3) of the National Defence Act provide:

"30. (1) Except during an emergency, an officer or non-commissioned member who is not on active service is entitled to be released at the expiration of the term of service for which the officer or non-commissioned member is enrolled or re-engaged...

3) Subject to paragraph (1), no officer or non-commissioned member may claim his release as of right except:

a non-commissioned member not on active service by reason of an emergency

whose service entitles him to an immediate annuity under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act, or

who has completed his fixed period of service.

Typically the releasing authority won't give a poo poo and will grant it, but voluntary military or not you kind of signed a contract promising a few years of service. I heard army COs have been doing this more often as guys began pulling the pin to go work the oil patch.

I'm only outlining worst-case here, odds are it will be fine.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen them dick a lovely soldier around by 'losing' paperwork 2 or 3 times. But 2 of the guys who kept their head down and were quiet got out around the 6 month mark.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
I am pretty sure I read something about not declaring yourself a pacifist to get out faster...I am pretty sure that if you really wanted to burn some bridges on your way out this would be the thirty day solution...That said good luck getting a job in the public sector ever again.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've seen that part of the ref interpreted to mean Obligatory service, like for ROTP candidates or people who just got back from maternity/paternity leave, but there's a part dealing with that specifically.

As far as I know, the contract basically means that they can say no to your request to release, but usually they don't.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
Yeah I'd never heard of a VR being denied, just it taking the full six months to go through. Personally I don't want to be in charge of someone who doesn't want to be there anyway, so better off helping them move on.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
My VR took about 2 months. Mine was rushed due to family problems, friends of mine took 3-4 months. My first VR was denied by a Mcpl because "i didnt have enough reason's and had never been on course(even though I had)". Ive had friend working with the clerks given documents to shed, one of them being his own "lost" VR.

edit: Thinking about it it was because I didnt elaborate on my reasons and kept it short.

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 10, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
We used to process many unqualified VRs, the wait went from 6-12 months at the beginning of 2012 to less than 5 weeks around May when the CANFORGEN gave authority to COs to release members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey, does anybody who's posted to Edmonton know how the bus system works there? Is there a bus that goes close enough to the base to walk or bike from the stop?