Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Does Get Glue track? I know the whole point of it is to list what you watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

PaganGoatPants posted:

Never seen anything like it.

They're REALLY committed to making it feel like a native app. It shows up in the location services privacy settings, and when you follow a link to an external site (like a weather alert or something) instead of just firing up a web view they actually go through the whole "warning, this will be opened in Safari" business, and then they really do kick you over to Safari. The sliding-panel GUI is drat near flawless too, all the springy-feedback stuff feels really convincing.

I'm not actually sure if this is a weather site/app or a bid to get acquired for their HTML5 development team.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

slomomofo posted:

iOS Apps Megathread: The best app is actually http://forecast.io/

If you check the weather thread this app's credibility has been gutted. Nice design, but not a meteorological foot to stand on. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3527402&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post414046720

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goddamn, is there any topic in the world that doesn't have a thread on SA?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

If you check the weather thread this app's credibility has been gutted. Nice design, but not a meteorological foot to stand on. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3527402&perpage=40&pagenumber=48#post414046720

It's based on the same data that Dark Sky uses which has been proven to be pretty accurate, and in the weather thread they seem to be saying that what Dark Sky does is impossible when there are numerous accounts of it working really well.

Of course nothing is going to be perfect but I think they're dismissing it pretty fast.

Something from the Dark Sky website:

quote:

It’s very much a numerical & statistical approach, rather than a meteorological one. Since we’ve launched the Kickstarter project, we’ve had several people (many of them meteorologists) criticize it because it eschews physical modeling of atmospheric fluid dynamics. And it’s true that our system will never be able to predict six hours in the future, let alone a day from now. But by focusing on the immediate future, and leaving everything beyond to the meteorologists, we can create a highly accurate app that is useful in a surprisingly wide range of applications.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 3, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Or you can use wunderground and have accurate data.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Or you can stick your head out of the window. So much spergin'

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Or you can use wunderground and have accurate data.

Exactly. None of these "pretty" iOS weather apps are worth poo poo if the data is inaccurate. Weather Underground has very accurate data and maps, and the mobile site works just fine, even if it's not the best looking.

If you must have a native app, they've got one.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I like wunderground for radar, but their highs and lows are usually off by 5 degrees where I am. Also their popups showing county by county snow/rainfall is an ugly block of text they get directly from the NWS.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Just get Solar weather. It is free for today and it is both pretty and uses wunderground :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/solar-weather/id542875991?mt=8

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Just get Solar weather. It is free for today and it is both pretty and uses wunderground :)

Wow. Simply amazing. The hour-by-hour scroll down function is amazing, and seeing that today I have a "chance of rain" followed by "rain" it was even more amazing to watch.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

e: skipped over the three-day forecast page in the tutorial. Nm!

savesthedayrocks posted:

Or you can stick your head out of the window. So much spergin'

Anyone who goes outside needs more than what it is right now. Or do you just tell that to everyone who uses a weather forecasting service?

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 5, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Can't turn down free.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Zigmidge posted:

Anyone who goes outside needs more than what it is right now. Or do you just tell that to everyone who uses a weather forecasting service?

My assumption is that anyone that needs an app on their mobile phone to check the weather is already outside or does not have access to "more accurate" sources.

If you are planning an excursion that requires precise information (like the high being 5 degrees off like was mentioned previously) you probably already have the resources to find it on a "more accurate" platform and will plan out ahead of time.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

priznat posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that lets you track movies/tv shows you've watched? I suppose I could use evernote or whatever but it would be handy just having a searchable list of movies where I could give them a rating how much I liked them and some notes etc.

I like Episode Tracker Lite. Edit - I have not used this for movies, only TV shows. I don't know if it does movies (probably not).

langurmonkey fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 5, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

langurmonkey posted:

I like Episode Tracker Lite. Edit - I have not used this for movies, only TV shows. I don't know if it does movies (probably not).

Out of curiosity, why the Lite version? The regular one appears to be free as well.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

syscall girl posted:

Out of curiosity, why the Lite version? The regular one appears to be free as well.

No particular reason - there might have been a difference when I first started using it.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Is there a trustworthy iPad app for Google chat?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
WikiWeb download codes:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Took the top one.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

decypher posted:

WikiWeb download codes:

Took the third code. Thanks!

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Redeemed the bottom code, thanks.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dragonrah posted:

Either AIM or imo work well for me.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Dragonrah posted:

Google really doesn't care about chat on iOS it seems.

They really dropped the ball IMO... Google Chat was reasonably popular way back, and they could've sling shotted that popularity into the de facto ubiquitous and mobile messaging platform for everyone. Alas, we're stuck with imperfect alternatives like Facebook, whatsapp, and iMessage.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I use IMO on my iPhone and it works well enough. There is an iPad version available in the app store as well (free). There's rumors that google is going to overhaul chat and integrate google+ and chat into something possibly called Babel. Maybe they're working on an app as we speak.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

There's an app on the Playstation Vita called "Wake Up Club," which is basically a social alarm clock. It puts you in a group of people who all have their alarm set for the same time, and then when the alarm clock goes off, if everyone wakes up and taps the screen in time you basically "win." If someone in your group doesn't wake up, you can tap on their icons to send slightly annoying "chirps" that play through their Vita to help them wake up. If anyone sleeps 5 minutes past the alarm, everyone loses.

Is there anything like this for iOS?

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Is there a good app for managing food shopping lists? Preferably something with coupon integration, etc.…

Hopewell
Nov 29, 2004

I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork.

aherdofpenguins posted:

There's an app on the Playstation Vita called "Wake Up Club," which is basically a social alarm clock. It puts you in a group of people who all have their alarm set for the same time, and then when the alarm clock goes off, if everyone wakes up and taps the screen in time you basically "win." If someone in your group doesn't wake up, you can tap on their icons to send slightly annoying "chirps" that play through their Vita to help them wake up. If anyone sleeps 5 minutes past the alarm, everyone loses.

Is there anything like this for iOS?

That sounds awesome. If you do find one, please post it here.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

uh zip zoom posted:

Is there a good app for managing food shopping lists? Preferably something with coupon integration, etc.…

Dunno if it does coupons but I heard grocery iq was good.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

uh zip zoom posted:

Grocery IQ is owned by Coupons.com. So, you get coupons like it or not! I've never used the coupon stuff since it's mostly brand-name items I don't care about, but overall the app is decent. My only realy complaint with it is that it's slow on startup while it syncs with the cloud (though that may only happen if you set up an account).

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I can't wait to see what a thunderstorm looks like in Solar. Or a twister for that matter.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I can't wait to see what a thunderstorm looks like in Solar. Or a twister for that matter.

It blew my mind when I tilted the phone and saw the rain tilt as well. It's the little things.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Is there a decent maps app that DOESN'T do turn-by-turn? I really hate the drain of turn-by-turn.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

NeuroticErotica posted:

Is there a decent maps app that DOESN'T do turn-by-turn? I really hate the drain of turn-by-turn.

Google Maps does not force you to turn on the navigation portion. You can simply look at the directions if that's your thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Check The Weather just got upgraded, and here are two interesting features in the upgrade:

quote:

What's New in Version 1.4
+ Switched data providers to Forecast.io to be able to take advantage of their very high quality weather data. Your forecasts and observations should be much more accurate.

+ Added Dark Sky Short Term Rain forecasts to the United Kingdom and parts of Canada.

Also forecast.io looks gorgeous on my Mini in Safari.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

uh zip zoom posted:

Buy Me A Pie doesn't have coupon stuff as far as I know, but makes up for it with painless signup-free syncing of lists between multiple devices.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have suggestions for a good voice recording app for the iPhone? All I'm really looking for is Dropbox integration and (preferably) the ability to record only when there's sound. I see that Audio Memos does a million things including that but it's all IAP based, but Dropvox doesn't seem to do the silence-negating. Has anyone used either of these, or is there another option that works better?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Any way to view Google My Places maps on the iPhone?

For example: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=203139471440864178333.00049dc830cb077734456

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

dabre_aiamim posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good voice recording app for the iPhone? All I'm really looking for is Dropbox integration and (preferably) the ability to record only when there's sound. I see that Audio Memos does a million things including that but it's all IAP based, but Dropvox doesn't seem to do the silence-negating. Has anyone used either of these, or is there another option that works better?
I've used Audio Memos, and like it a lot. I bought the "send" IAP which includes Dropbox support and works just fine, but I stopped using that feature because you can download audio directly from the phone through a browser when the phone is on a local Wifi network, and that's much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Its just like when it rains, except every once in a while the screen will flash and your phone vibrates, it's super sweet.

• Locked thread