Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden-i
Sep 18, 2006

One big, stumpy family

IratelyBlank posted:

This is probably a dumb question but is it obvious when a cat pees in their litter box? I found cat pee on my couch from the mother I brought in on Monday and I decided to put her litter box (its an actual box with a hole cut in the side) facing the entrance of her little area under my stairs so she can't get out, only into the litter box. The litter box has like a foot of clearance between the top of it and the top of the little doorway and I didn't want to completely close her in there so I just some tin foil across the top and hope she wouldnt want to jump on it to get out, but there is definitely enough room for her to get out if she really wanted to (she didn't).

I can tell she has definitely been in the box because I went to change her towels and there were particles of cat litter on the floor right outside the box, but when I looked inside there was no poo and I didn't see any obvious wet spots or clumping or anything. I felt all over her towels and on the whole floor inside her area and nothing was wet so I am fairly sure she didn't pee in her bedding.

I brought her in on Monday so I can be sure that she has peed at least one time (on my couch) since then. I haven't found any poo anywhere but she may have hidden it somewhere that I haven't found yet. If not, she hasn't had a poo since at least Monday, is this something to be concerned about?

You don't have any other pets, do you? I only ask because I had a similar concern with Refurb not going #2 in her box for a few days with similar evidence of box usage (no wet spots, litter had been kicked and spread on the towel near her box) and it turned out that the dog had been eating it :barf: but we've since dealt with that issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday

Golden-i posted:

You don't have any other pets, do you? I only ask because I had a similar concern with Refurb not going #2 in her box for a few days with similar evidence of box usage (no wet spots, litter had been kicked and spread on the towel near her box) and it turned out that the dog had been eating it :barf: but we've since dealt with that issue.

No, no other pets. I have searched my house a few times looking for turds but I haven't found any and I would think that if she was peeing on the couch, she would also poo on it. I guess I will keep her in her current situation until she goes in her box?

e: she is eating and drinking fine. I left her a plate of food and a bowl of water inside her hole with her and all the food was gone by the time I got home from work.

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

I brought 2 kitties home a few weeks ago. I choose them because they were a pair of hard luck cases that became best buddies at the shelter I got them from.
The kitten is an absolute sweetheart who sleeps, cuddles, follows me everywhere, and will begin to purr as soon as I pick him up. He also loves to tackle the older one.

Now this is the point of this post: The older one
He is an estimated 2-3 years old and gets along just fine with the kitten. However, he will not let me near him. He wont hiss, scratch, or bite but the only time he acts friendly is when its time to be fed. Then he will rub against my legs until I put the bowl down. I can pet him while he eats but that is as far as it goes.
I give him his space and don't chase him around the home trying to touch him but I am beginning to worry if this behavior will solidify into our permanent relationship and just become normal for him.
Does he just need more time?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
If there are otherwise no warning signs yes he'll just need more time. It is also possible that this is simply his personality and there's not much you can do about that.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
One of my cats has begun to growl at the other.

Higgs has, over the last few days, decided to be an rear end and growl at his brother whenever he feels. I think it is most often when they are around a resource: toy mice, food, cardboard boxes that are to be explored, that sort of thing. He gives a low, constant growl and stares at his brother until we either break them up or his brother wanders off. There is only the growl so far, he does not lower his ears, hiss, or attack his brother.

Any tips on how to keep this from developing into aggression? These two cats are littermates and until now have been BFFs. They still seem to be okay with one another, but I can't tell if Higgs is just being an rear end in a top hat adolescent or if this is a behavior that needs to be nipped in the bud.

- Age Both 1.5 years old.
- Sex: Both male.
- How long have you had your cat? A little over a year.
- Is your cat spayed or neutered? Both neutered.
- What food do you use? Blue Buffalo Longevity and some Blue Buffalo wet
- When was your last vet visit? January
- Is your cat indoors, outdoors, both? Indoor.
- How many pets in your household? Just the two cats.
- How many litter boxes do you have? One

Here is a picture of the ragamuffins to tide you over:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I think growling and hissing is normal for cats. Mine growl, hiss, chase, and wrestle but sometimes they're buds. Unless I'm wrong, it's just how cats communicate.

Have these cats always been together? If so, there can't have been a problem with introductions.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 4, 2013

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
There is still no pee/poo in her litter box and all her bedding is dry. She is coming out of her area when I move the box and she is still friendly and moving around and doesn't look like she's in any pain, but it's been at least 1-2 days since she has gone to the bathroom. Should I consider putting her outside for a little while so she can go or take her to the vet? She is eating fine as usual. I just tried putting a layer of dirt and leaves over the litter to see if I can trick her into thinking it's something she always goes to the toilet on.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

IratelyBlank posted:

There is still no pee/poo in her litter box and all her bedding is dry. She is coming out of her area when I move the box and she is still friendly and moving around and doesn't look like she's in any pain, but it's been at least 1-2 days since she has gone to the bathroom. Should I consider putting her outside for a little while so she can go or take her to the vet? She is eating fine as usual. I just tried putting a layer of dirt and leaves over the litter to see if I can trick her into thinking it's something she always goes to the toilet on.
It's not weird for a cat to hold their poop for a few days when moved to a new place, so I probably wouldn't worry as long as she's eating well, acting fine, and not straining. As for pee, my bet is she's is peeing somewhere and you haven't found it yet. Cat pee is small volumes and dries pretty fast, so you may more likely to find it by sniffing the bedding than by feeling a wet spot after you've been gone all day. What are you feeding her, and how much? She should be eating a ton.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004

Crooked Booty posted:

It's not weird for a cat to hold their poop for a few days when moved to a new place, so I probably wouldn't worry as long as she's eating well, acting fine, and not straining. As for pee, my bet is she's is peeing somewhere and you haven't found it yet. Cat pee is small volumes and dries pretty fast, so you may more likely to find it by sniffing the bedding than by feeling a wet spot after you've been gone all day. What are you feeding her, and how much? She should be eating a ton.

She is eating what I eat which for the past few days (and always, I guess) has been chicken and pork. She also gets some dry cat food, the kibble stuff, and wet canned cat food on top of that. She devours the canned cat food like she really loves it and she'll take a little longer to pick around at the actual meat and the dry stuff.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I was under the impression pork is not a good thing for cats.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Namarrgon posted:

I was under the impression pork is not a good thing for cats.

Pork isn't necessarily bad for cats, but it's generally not recommended to give to animals (aside from an occasional little treat maybe), as a lot of our pork intake (ham, bacon, etc.) is processed and pretty heavy on preservatives and sodium.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

four lean hounds posted:

One of my cats has begun to growl at the other.

Higgs has, over the last few days, decided to be an rear end and growl at his brother whenever he feels. I think it is most often when they are around a resource: toy mice, food, cardboard boxes that are to be explored, that sort of thing. He gives a low, constant growl and stares at his brother until we either break them up or his brother wanders off. There is only the growl so far, he does not lower his ears, hiss, or attack his brother.

Any tips on how to keep this from developing into aggression? These two cats are littermates and until now have been BFFs. They still seem to be okay with one another, but I can't tell if Higgs is just being an rear end in a top hat adolescent or if this is a behavior that needs to be nipped in the bud.

Around that age is a normal time for them to start trying to figure out dominance relationships. Let it happen and don't break them up unless there's blood. When they groom, does Higgs lick the other one or vice versa?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
What does grooming mean? My cats take turns. Or sometimes pete will start grooming ozma and then Ozma will start grooming him back and then after a few adorable minutes they fight. I don't get it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Huntersoninski posted:

What does grooming mean? My cats take turns. Or sometimes pete will start grooming ozma and then Ozma will start grooming him back and then after a few adorable minutes they fight. I don't get it.

Sometimes the more dominant one does most of the grooming. Groom -> fight is very normal also, especially around meal times. :iiam:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Vet check is clean for Goldie. I added a second litter box in the room and am hoping this works. I never see her use the box, but I don't see a lot of cats enter or leave any of them anyway.

New cat issue. Her name is Bubbles and she was a foster found....somewhere. The rescue we work with had her for months and she never grew, was always anti-social. Probably didn't help that she is about seven month old now, and weighs and looks like what a kitten half her age does. Also has one eye.

So we've had Bubbles for a while, and we can pick her up, and pet her, and she plays like a kitten, which she never did at the rescue house. Because of her size, she was not spayed. But I'm wondering if she has come into heat, because the past few days she has started meowing, which she never does. Little tiny whispers of a meow, rubbing against my mom, meowing at us both a lot. All of our other cats are fixed but the vet said due to her size and early malnutrition she might never develop fully. The rescue didn't get her spayed for that reason.

I've never seen a cat/kitten in heat but it should be obvious, right?

Loot
Apr 3, 2013

119-242 Text Count
+59 Contribution Score
+5.9% Cold Resistance

6.7% chance of shitposting
Fires rockets instead of bullets!
Got a bit of a question. My older cat turned 16 last December and is starting to show signs of old age. Among the typical signs, he has started to accumulate some brown/black gunk in the inner corners of his eyes. I've been cleaning his eyes a couple times a week but just today they're already getting a bit dirty even after cleaning them last night. I'm guessing it's mucus but it never really appeared until recently.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I've kind of been wondering, why is it that my female cat seems to lash out at her brother when she gets upset. Like after vet trips I usually have to isolate them for a day or 2 because the girl cat will hiss and swat at the boy like crazy. Bud, the boy cat, could care less and just kind of cowers or slinks away. Earlier tonight rose, the girl cat, had a little scare from the dog and now won't let bud anywhere near her. Just kind of strikes me as odd but I've never had 2 cats before. The dog won't be inside anymore when I'm around that's for sure.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

kojicolnair posted:

I've kind of been wondering, why is it that my female cat seems to lash out at her brother when she gets upset. Like after vet trips I usually have to isolate them for a day or 2 because the girl cat will hiss and swat at the boy like crazy. Bud, the boy cat, could care less and just kind of cowers or slinks away. Earlier tonight rose, the girl cat, had a little scare from the dog and now won't let bud anywhere near her. Just kind of strikes me as odd but I've never had 2 cats before. The dog won't be inside anymore when I'm around that's for sure.

I am no expert, but I believe that is a kind of "transferred aggression". Rose can't attack the dog, so she takes her stress/fear out on her brother instead. Also, when a pet returns from the vet they smell very strange (think of all the different animals and medicinal smells in a vet's office), so Rose may not recognize Bud by his scent. That freaks her out so she keeps him at a distance.

Eggplant Wizard I think the grooming is even between them for which cat instigates. I will keep an eye out to observe if Higgs starts grooming Cave more. My cats do the groom > fight thing all the time, too!

Ema Nymton yes, they are littermates and have always been together. They still chill on the cat tower together and ate dinner together fine tonight, so I will try not to freak out too much about them. We're about to go on a trip so they'll have a good chunk of time to hash out who is top cat without us worrying about our :qq:PRECIOUS DUMPLINGS.

...now I feel bad because we turned away from adopting a pair of cats that were 1.5 years old and exhibiting this same behavior. Sorry little cats, we didn't know!

Best Bag Buddies

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Around that age is a normal time for them to start trying to figure out dominance relationships. Let it happen and don't break them up unless there's blood. When they groom, does Higgs lick the other one or vice versa?

This. Hugo and Decoy, dickhead teenagers, are still kicking the poo poo out of each other and I'm really over it. Hugo's bark is a million times worse than his bite, and he LOVES LOVES LOVES CHASING DECOY GOTTA CHASE THAT rear end in a top hat ALL THE TIME but gets confused and kind of stands there awkwardly when he actually catches up to him, and then Decoy smacks him up. I can't tell when there's blood because Hugo is so fluffy, I only ever find the scratches when I pat him later.

And yes they groom each other... it's all 'groom groom groom groom gonna grab your motherfuckin' FACE and rake my back claws over it'. That is the only time Hugo has ever managed to scratch Decoy, and I think it's possibly going to leave a small, permanent scar right across his nose.

Stupid animals.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Tamarillo posted:

This. Hugo and Decoy, dickhead teenagers, are still kicking the poo poo out of each other and I'm really over it. Hugo's bark is a million times worse than his bite, and he LOVES LOVES LOVES CHASING DECOY GOTTA CHASE THAT rear end in a top hat ALL THE TIME but gets confused and kind of stands there awkwardly when he actually catches up to him, and then Decoy smacks him up. I can't tell when there's blood because Hugo is so fluffy, I only ever find the scratches when I pat him later.

And yes they groom each other... it's all 'groom groom groom groom gonna grab your motherfuckin' FACE and rake my back claws over it'. That is the only time Hugo has ever managed to scratch Decoy, and I think it's possibly going to leave a small, permanent scar right across his nose.

Stupid animals.

Oh yeah, the "groom groom groom I love you, I EAT YOUR FACE!" has been a part of life for as long as I can remember. I think it is hilarious because Cave, our shy-guy, is 2lbs heavier than his brother Higgs. So Higgs will start poo poo, which to his surprise, Cave finishes. But yeah, tons of bunny-kicks and face-bities go down. They never (or haven't yet) hurt each other, but I'll keep and eye out for scratches or anything.

Majestic assholes. :3:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My cat doesn't cover his poop. Is this indicative of a medical problem, behavioral problem, or is he just a gross dick? He went to the vet recently and they didn't find anything wrong with him.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

four lean hounds posted:

Oh yeah, the "groom groom groom I love you, I EAT YOUR FACE!" has been a part of life for as long as I can remember. I think it is hilarious because Cave, our shy-guy, is 2lbs heavier than his brother Higgs. So Higgs will start poo poo, which to his surprise, Cave finishes. But yeah, tons of bunny-kicks and face-bities go down. They never (or haven't yet) hurt each other, but I'll keep and eye out for scratches or anything.

Majestic assholes. :3:

My guess would be the over-stimulation thing kicking in there - if we stroke our cat for a while eventually she'll start twitching the tip of her tail then flip out, either making cat fight noises or straight out GOING FOR OUR FACES! Luckily the tail tip twitch is a very reliable indicator, at least in the case of our little rear end in a top hat.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

My cat doesn't cover his poop. Is this indicative of a medical problem, behavioral problem, or is he just a gross dick? He went to the vet recently and they didn't find anything wrong with him.

He's very likely just stupid and gross. As someone with a cat this moronic, I can tell you he'll probably never change.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah. He might be showing his dominance/ marking his territory, his momma may not have taught him right, or he might be like my cats and try to bury using everything conceivable except the litter...the walls of the box, the walls of my apartment, the carpet, any nearby object like a shoe or the trashcan, the litter scoop...then give up. You little assholes the litter is all around you just brush it over your poops.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pollyanna posted:

He's just stupid. I have two like that. Enjoy.

e: To pretend to be more helpful, I like the Breeze litter system I have because when they don't bury their poop it doesn't really matter. The pellets still suck the moisture out of the poops pretty quickly so they don't stink except immediately after. I imagine any drying-out type litter would be the same.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hear him scratching in the litterbox a lot but the poop is usually uncovered, and whenever I take the poop out he scratches around in it for like forever. I think he just wants his poop everywhere :mad:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Pollyanna posted:

I hear him scratching in the litterbox a lot but the poop is usually uncovered, and whenever I take the poop out he scratches around in it for like forever. I think he just wants his poop everywhere :mad:

No, mine do the same thing. They scratch everywhere but in the litterbox. All around the edges, the inner sides, the wall next to it... just not the litter in the pan. So close, and yet so far.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Serella posted:

He's very likely just stupid and gross. As someone with a cat this moronic, I can tell you he'll probably never change.

Same with one of ours. Mind you, she tries. She tries a lot. But she never quite manages to cover anything, despite having left claw-gouges in the bottom of the litter box (through ~3" of litter).

Someone in some thread made the very astute observation that cats don't really seem to understand "changing the method".

1. Scratch in a place.
2. Check if poop is covered.
3. If no, repeat 1 until tired or yelled at.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

No, mine do the same thing. They scratch everywhere but in the litterbox. All around the edges, the inner sides, the wall next to it... just not the litter in the pan. So close, and yet so far.

I love watching my cat stare intently at the poop in the box while she's scratching away at the wall. You can just see the frustration.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

My wife and I have an 11 week old kitten that we adopted last week. She's very well behaved (as well behaved as a kitten can be...), but I can't figure out how much to feed her.

When we got her from her previous owner they gave us a bunch of Fancy Feast kitten food. The feeding instructions are "Feed 1 can per 3 to 3-1/2 pounds of body weight daily. Adjust as needed to maintain your kitten in ideal body condition." She weighs just under 2.5 pounds so not quite a full 3oz can per day. We're just feeding her the canned food, no dry.

I've been feeding her 3 times a day (though those times can change, I have a weird schedule, though I am home most of the time), but if I feed her only 1/3 of the can per meal, she devours it instantly and meows like we're starving her anytime we're in the kitchen. Has she just associated us being in the kitchen with her being fed?

I looked around online and found some people and some food manufacturers saying you can't overfeed a kitten, they are growing and need lots of energy. So now I have no idea what to do.

So to sum it up, how do I:
Feed my kitten enough
Not make her fat
Not get meowed at whenever I'm in the kitchen

I'm considering getting an automatic feeder, so that the meal times can be more consistant. Comments?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Cats will beg for food at any time, even while eating. It doesn't mean she's being malnourished.

Feed kitten however much she'll eat until she's fully grown (or a fatty fatty fat fat), then taper it back. For the love of god keep doing scheduled feedings and do not just top up a bowl all the time or your life will be a living hell whenever it is empty. You can also probably reduce the constant begging by bring it down to two meals a day. My cats beg from about 2 hours before each meal, so if you're feeding her twice during the daytime, she's probably in meal anticipation mode for basically all of it. That sounds annoying.

My adult cats get 1/6 can <the bigger one than those fancy feast ones I think> wet & 1/8 cup dry 2x a day each. That seems to be about the right amount for them to finish throughout the day without getting morbidly obese or starving. You'll have to play around with quantities until you find the right one.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Our guy doesn't even scratch in a digging motion, his basic procedure is:
  1. Take giant stinky dump.
  2. Claw at linoleum outside litterbox after walking out of it.
  3. Claw at bathroom mats.
  4. Come meow at us very loudly to tell us that something went wrong.
  5. Refuse to go back in litterbox at all until his giant stinky uncovered dump has been cleaned.

Edit: Sometimes our other cat will go in there and cover the confused cat's turds. It's very helpful.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Lemons posted:

So to sum it up, how do I:

Not get meowed at whenever I'm in the kitchen

Don't feed them in the kitchen that is literally the only way this is gonna happen.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Dead Cow posted:

I love watching my cat stare intently at the poop in the box while she's scratching away at the wall. You can just see the frustration.

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY THIS ISN'T COVERED YET."

I yell at my cat after listening to him pawing at the side of the box for five minutes straight because I'm sick of hearing it when I know he's not actually covering anything up.

Lemons posted:

I'm considering getting an automatic feeder, so that the meal times can be more consistant. Comments?

The consistency of a timed feeder helped shut my fat loving cat up. Used to meow for hours before mealtime, now he never begs for food because I'm not the Goddess of Numnums any more, the feeder is.

I realize this while post makes my cat sound awful. And he is.

Serella fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 5, 2013

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

My dumb-dumb likes to stand horizontally across the two litterboxes we have, poop in one, and try to bury with the other. This means he launches litter absolutely everywhere, and one box is always more empty than the other. Less dumb cat appears to do it correctly.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Same with one of ours. Mind you, she tries. She tries a lot. But she never quite manages to cover anything, despite having left claw-gouges in the bottom of the litter box (through ~3" of litter).

Someone in some thread made the very astute observation that cats don't really seem to understand "changing the method".

1. Scratch in a place.
2. Check if poop is covered.
3. If no, repeat 1 until tired or yelled at.

Or in the case with one of our cats, there's also a number 4 on the list:

4. Abandon the area with a meow and run around like a cat on fire, because suddenly the poop monster has appeared!

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

Kidney Stone posted:

Or in the case with one of our cats, there's also a number 4 on the list:

4. Abandon the area with a meow and run around like a cat on fire, because suddenly the poop monster has appeared!

Ah, the one of ours that flees from the poop monsters goes straight from "do bathroom thing" to "FLEE YOUR YOUR LIFE".

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Ah, the one of ours that flees from the poop monsters goes straight from "do bathroom thing" to "FLEE YOUR YOUR LIFE".

They are poo ghosts how do you not know this?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

El Gar posted:

They are poo ghosts how do you not know this?

We call them "poo ghosts", too. I was just repeating Kidney Stone's wording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
That's hilarious about cats not covering their poop. One of my cats just can't be bothered, but the other two just kind of take over. Ollie digs in his litterbox for fun I think, and anytime we go to the bathroom there's a 50/50 chance he'll hop into the litterbox for funsies. The weirdest thing he does is watch us clean it.

He does try to bury his food and its kind of hilarious. He's always tipping poo poo over and we have to shoo him away so he'll stop loving poo poo up. We have his dishes on a flexible placemat and he sometimes pulls that up half over his food.