Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

brc64 posted:

Not even that. It looks like a Windows Mobile 5 app. It just got a "holo" update, but all that really amounted to was some color and button changes. It's still pretty ugly. But functional.

I still can't figure out how to get back from a folder to the default unread view. The only way I know is with the back button, but that doesn't work if you open up the app and it's already on a folder.

They did fix one thing with the new update. The send button used to be a wide button at the bottom of the screen, so if you used swiftkey, pressing a suggestion slightly too high would send the message. Now the button is at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Crooz posted:

So I just started a new job who runs their email through Exchange. The admin settings are forcing me to use a strong password on my lock screen because it's in finance. Is there anyway to only password protect the email (generic one that comes with a SGS3) app? I never had any lock because none of my personal stuff is a big deal so this is a huge pain.

If that isn't possible, is there a way to make the keyboard come up when I first hit the lock screen? Right now I have to touch in the password area and then begin typing. I don't have any widgets on there.

I might get yelled at here due to security policies and admins and such, but most of the current roms for my phone (HTC EVO LTE) now have a cracked sense apk that removes the pinlock administrator stuff. There is even a MOD that you can flash that'll rip it out, something like that MIGHT exist for your phone/rom, but you'd have to slog thru XDA and risk getting some jacked up hacked up apk that might or might not send your credentials out to some guy in his underwear in china.

YMMV.

VVV Yup, I knew I'd get yelled at :shrug: I don't do it, was just offering the fella some alternatives with fair warning.

godzirraRAWR fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 5, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

godzirraRAWR posted:

I might get yelled at here due to security policies and admins and such, but most of the current roms for my phone (HTC EVO LTE) now have a cracked sense apk that removes the pinlock administrator stuff. There is even a MOD that you can flash that'll rip it out, something like that MIGHT exist for your phone/rom, but you'd have to slog thru XDA and risk getting some jacked up hacked up apk that might or might not send your credentials out to some guy in his underwear in china.

YMMV.

For the love of god please do not connect your phone to your employer's exchange system if you're going to do this.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

kitten smoothie posted:

For the love of god please do not connect your phone to your employer's exchange system if you're going to do this.

Yeah, circumventing security policy puts both you and your employer at risk and almost certainly constitutes gross misconduct. Just learn to live with Touchdown, it's $20 vs. the possibility of losing your job and/or getting sued when you're the cause of a security breach.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah speaking as an Exchange admin, depending on the company, management can have a serious boner about locking down devices. Also depending on the company they might be using Mobile Device Management software that can detect such shenanigans, or detect if you're rooted, etc.

I'd check with your help desk to see if you have any kind of policies like that, especially if it is BYOD (Bring your own device.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, your company should pay for the touchdown license or pay for your phone.

If it's purely BOYD that you are paying for yourself, they can't require you to check company email on it if it requires surrendering over control of the phone.

Hell, I'm the guy who would be initiating the remote wipes and such and I won't use company Exchange on my personal phone without touchdown.

And yes, hacking your phone to get around the pin requirement would be fireable offense here and likely anywhere else that require strong security on mobile devices.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Can anyone recommend a solid camera app? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and am headed to a conference/tradeshow next week where I need to be able to snap a bunch of pics/video on the go and send directly to dropbox(or something similar). Thanks!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Unless I'm missing something I've been able to do that with my stock N4 and Dropbox.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Cervixalot posted:

Can anyone recommend a solid camera app? I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and am headed to a conference/tradeshow next week where I need to be able to snap a bunch of pics/video on the go and send directly to dropbox(or something similar). Thanks!

Isn't the camera one of the things people really like about Touchwiz? Just use the camera that is already on your phone and turn on auto upload in the Dropbox app.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Yeah. I'm of the mind that if my job responsibilities require 24/7 accessibility via phone or email, then they can buy me a phone and pay the monthly bill. At that point it's their phone and they are free to invoke whatever device policy they like on it.

That said you're probably better off password protecting your phone all the time, anyway. But I don't want my employer being able to delete pictures of my kid off my phone so I don't connect it to any work services.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah. I'm of the mind that if my job responsibilities require 24/7 accessibility via phone or email, then they can buy me a phone and pay the monthly bill. At that point it's their phone and they are free to invoke whatever device policy they like on it.

That said you're probably better off password protecting your phone all the time, anyway. But I don't want my employer being able to delete pictures of my kid off my phone so I don't connect it to any work services.

FYI, you can set your phone up to automatically back up any photos you take on Google+ and/or Dropbox (and probably a few other sites too). They'll be private by default until you make them public.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I switched over from the Galaxy S3 to the Nexus 4 and I love it! However, I miss the stock widget on my S3 of the month calendar that showed all my upcoming tasks / events for the full month. The Nexus 4 Calendar widget only shows the day... Any recommendations for apps/widgets that can do what I am looking for?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

I switched over from the Galaxy S3 to the Nexus 4 and I love it! However, I miss the stock widget on my S3 of the month calendar that showed all my upcoming tasks / events for the full month. The Nexus 4 Calendar widget only shows the day... Any recommendations for apps/widgets that can do what I am looking for?

Simple Calender be the tool you need.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

Simple Calender be the tool you need.

I downloaded but cannot figure out how to set it to show the month view... Google is not helping either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Busy Bee posted:

If you resize the stock one it shows your agenda for the next week or so. Just tap and hold on it as if you're going to move it, then let go and the resize bits will appear.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

If it's purely BOYD that you are paying for yourself, they can't require you to check company email on it if it requires surrendering over control of the phone.

Hell, I'm the guy who would be initiating the remote wipes and such and I won't use company Exchange on my personal phone without touchdown.

And yes, hacking your phone to get around the pin requirement would be fireable offense here and likely anywhere else that require strong security on mobile devices.

Yeah. If work's not paying my phone bill, they won't have access to wipe my phone (or any part of it).

I have a work-provided iPhone, so the point is already moot

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Whats the best way to import business card info into Google contacts? I'm heading to a conference, probably the same one Cervixalot is going to, and I'm probably going to have a stack of cards that I would like to import as contacts.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At worst you can type them in on http://contacts.google.com. I don't know of an automated way to do it but that should be quicker than entering them all on your phone at least.

Edit: On reflection, you probably already knew this.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 6, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Doesn't Google Goggles scan business cards?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Doesn't Google Goggles scan business cards?

Yup and it is awesome

https://plus.google.com/105103058358743760661/posts/ij9nfY53cwu

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Is there a good free notetaking app that will sync with Linux? I was using Epistle which saved flat text files to Dropbox, but the author has dropped support of it in favor of a new paid version.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Is there a good free notetaking app that will sync with Linux? I was using Epistle which saved flat text files to Dropbox, but the author has dropped support of it in favor of a new paid version.

I literally just came here to ask that same question. Does anyone know of an Epistle-like note app? For reference, here's the Epistle app page and I'd like something visually similar which syncs with DropBox.

I was actually going to get the Epistle author's new app, but after the shady tactic of disabling DropBox sync to force people over to the new (for money) app he can gently caress off.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Have you tried Google Keep?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

rolleyes posted:

I was actually going to get the Epistle author's new app, but after the shady tactic of disabling DropBox sync to force people over to the new (for money) app he can gently caress off.
Really? I used the Dropbox sync just this afternoon. Weird.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's disabled for new users and gets completely shut down on May 1st for everyone else.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib

rolleyes posted:

Yeah, "dropped support" isn't exactly the right phrasing. I don't mind paying for a replacement, but not being forced into paying to keep using what I already had for free.

Google Keep looks promising, but I like having dropbox sync and offline access.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Yeah, "dropped support" isn't exactly the right phrasing. I don't mind paying for a replacement, but not being forced into paying to keep using what I already had for free.

Google Keep looks promising, but I like having dropbox sync and offline access.

You have offline access in Keep, if I recall correctly. The only thing is that any syncing is done once you get a mobile or wi-fi connection.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Evernote?

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Fallen Rib

ThermoPhysical posted:

You have offline access in Keep, if I recall correctly. The only thing is that any syncing is done once you get a mobile or wi-fi connection.

That works. I'll check it out then. Thanks.

AFAIK Evernote still doesn't have a Linux desktop option.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's pretty mean. Unless Dropbox suddenly changes their protocol all the way, there's no way that Epistle app would stop syncing, being abandoned or not. This is intentionally crippling functionality, and Google should come down with the hammer for this.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Is there a general Android help thread, and if not, is this thread okay for general non-app questions?

My phone's been bugging me saying the internal memory is full, but device memory has ~240MB free and USB storage has 1.3GB free, with a 16GB TF card on top of that. Does it have a really high standard for free memory or is something legit wrong with my phone? This issue may have something to do with the alarm clock crashing without going off as well, which I'd rather not risk on mornings that I work.

Media scanner has a lot of issues as well. This is 2.3.5 Gingerbread on a Samsung Exhibit II 4G. Any help is much appreciated because this phone's been a pain in the rear end as of late, and I don't want to :retrogames: for a new one.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

That works. I'll check it out then. Thanks.

AFAIK Evernote still doesn't have a Linux desktop option.

Everpad?
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/everpad-25-released-with-note-sharing.html

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Wotalt posted:

Is there a general Android help thread, and if not, is this thread okay for general non-app questions?

My phone's been bugging me saying the internal memory is full, but device memory has ~240MB free and USB storage has 1.3GB free, with a 16GB TF card on top of that. Does it have a really high standard for free memory or is something legit wrong with my phone? This issue may have something to do with the alarm clock crashing without going off as well, which I'd rather not risk on mornings that I work.

Media scanner has a lot of issues as well. This is 2.3.5 Gingerbread on a Samsung Exhibit II 4G. Any help is much appreciated because this phone's been a pain in the rear end as of late, and I don't want to :retrogames: for a new one.

I can't provide any help but I've found help for these kind of problems for my phone on androidforums.com. Worth checking out if you don't get any help here.

As for syncing note-taking, you should also check out SimpleNote and apps that integrate with it. Flick Note is a good android app that syncs with SimpleNote, and Notetak is supposed to be a good Linux port of NotationalVelocity, which is a super awesome OSX app for note taking.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wotalt posted:

There actually is a thread for general Android phone questions, that'd be here.

However, your issue sounds like something I had on my Nexus S 4G. I think the OS is complaining because you have a lot of third-party apps installed. I had to go in and manage the cache of the Browser and apps like Google+. Then I had to go and remove apps I never used and it gave me just enough space to get by. I also started sharing some apps with the USB partition just to save space on the internal storage side.

Though you do have enough USB Storage (since I'm assuming the drive is partitioned since you're on GB), the apps don't fully install to that. They'll install to the internal memory partition and once that's full, the phone complains even if you have space on the USB partition.

I'm not sure what's up with Media Scanner, though. Sorry. :(

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 7, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

There actually is a thread for general Android phone questions, that'd be here.

However, your issue sounds like something I had on my Nexus S 4G. I think the OS is complaining because you have a lot of third-party apps installed. I had to go in and manage the cache of the Browser and apps like Google+. Then I had to go and remove apps I never used and it gave me just enough space to get by. I also started sharing some apps with the USB partition just to save space on the internal storage side.

Though you do have enough USB Storage (since I'm assuming the drive is partitioned since you're on GB), the apps don't fully install to that. They'll install to the internal memory partition and once that's full, the phone complains even if you have space on the USB partition.

I'm not sure what's up with Media Scanner, though. Sorry. :(
Back in my GB days the thing that would toss this error the most was having the Contacts app explode in size from undeleted text messages piling up. Remember that system apps have their own little partition so when they get large the system will complain but will only show you user installed apps, etc.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Back in my GB days the thing that would toss this error the most was having the Contacts app explode in size from undeleted text messages piling up. Remember that system apps have their own little partition so when they get large the system will complain but will only show you user installed apps, etc.

I forgot about the partition of System Apps as well. Was that GB only or did it carry over to ICS and beyond?

I haven't used GB in a while. D: I kind of want to grab some cheap Android phone (doesn't even need to be used as a phone) just to compare things.

Or maybe fire up the Android SDK Emulator...that's much cheaper.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pretty sure the whole partition structure carried over when the NS updated from 2.3 to 4.0

Do you still have the Nexus S around? If so the 2.3 image is still available from Google.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

Pretty sure the whole partition structure carried over when the NS updated from 2.3 to 4.0

Do you still have the Nexus S around? If so the 2.3 image is still available from Google.

Yeah, it did. I asked on Google+ to an Android developer at Google about it and they said that they'd have to remove all user apps and personal files if they wanted to merge the partitions so they decided to leave them alone. I was wondering though if the Galaxy Nexus and phones after it still have system apps located on their own partition but I'm guessing most likely not since my Nexus 4 shows it as one single drive with system apps. So, question answered. :v:

I don't, unfortunately. Should've kept it around, but I can probably get a cheap one somewhere if I really want to tinker with it again. I forgot about the 2.3 images.

As for an app question, has anyone run into weird issues with the YouTube app forgetting you were subscribed to someone? I've had people appear in my list but if I go to their page it claims I'm not subscribed.

I can tap to subscribe but that doesn't do anything. The app will just claim I just subscribed to them and nothing will be affected. It's kind of weird.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I kept getting asked which account to sign in with to YouTube (even though I was clearly signed in since I could see all my stuff), possibly when I tried to do something like thumbs-upping a video. Anyway there was an app update the other day saying they fixed people getting 'periodically signed out' or something, so maybe it's that issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I kept getting asked which account to sign in with to YouTube (even though I was clearly signed in since I could see all my stuff), possibly when I tried to do something like thumbs-upping a video. Anyway there was an app update the other day saying they fixed people getting 'periodically signed out' or something, so maybe it's that issue?

I'm not sure, but I had that issue too and it fixed it but it's still claiming I'm not subscribed to people I'm obviously subscribed to.

• Locked thread