Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Does anyone know what kind of markers he's using to color his pages? I'd love to start experimenting with them after seeing those pages, I'm kind of new to coloring so I wouldn't know what kind of marker he's using so blend-friendly like those pages are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Al-Saqr posted:

Does anyone know what kind of markers he's using to color his pages? I'd love to start experimenting with them after seeing those pages, I'm kind of new to coloring so I wouldn't know what kind of marker he's using so blend-friendly like those pages are.

He uses Copic Sketch markers. They're alcohol based brush-tip markers. They're pretty pricy, but I think most art-supply/craft stores in the states carry them now (I know I've seen them at Michaels before even). I think there are some other brands of similar style, alcohol-based markers that are less expensive though. He uses either watercolor or gauche on top of the marker work too. It's also worth noting that he doesn't color directly on the inked pages, but copies of them. It's sort of like 'flattening' the line art. I think he mentioned exactly what kind of paper he was using at one point during the stream, as I recall it was just some kind of heavy copy paper, rather than anything specifically geared toward markers. There was a lot of talk in the chat about the materials he uses, but basically it's all 'normal' stuff you could get at any stationary store in Japan.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Good_Haro posted:

He uses Copic Sketch markers. They're alcohol based brush-tip markers. They're pretty pricy, but I think most art-supply/craft stores in the states carry them now (I know I've seen them at Michaels before even). I think there are some other brands of similar style, alcohol-based markers that are less expensive though. He uses either watercolor or gauche on top of the marker work too. It's also worth noting that he doesn't color directly on the inked pages, but copies of them. It's sort of like 'flattening' the line art. I think he mentioned exactly what kind of paper he was using at one point during the stream, as I recall it was just some kind of heavy copy paper, rather than anything specifically geared toward markers. There was a lot of talk in the chat about the materials he uses, but basically it's all 'normal' stuff you could get at any stationary store in Japan.

Jeez, you weren't kidding, a 72 piece set costs upwards of 360 dollars. Haha, gently caress getting a PS4 then.

Thanks so much for the info! I think I'll start with some basic colors and a skin tone set, and work my way up from there. I'm honestly surprised people have figured out that much from his stream, given how it's in Japanese and it's really rare when he says anything.

I got to say though, god drat this last chapter. it's too amazing.

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

Al-Saqr posted:

Jeez, you weren't kidding, a 72 piece set costs upwards of 360 dollars. Haha, gently caress getting a PS4 then.

Thanks so much for the info! I think I'll start with some basic colors and a skin tone set, and work my way up from there. I'm honestly surprised people have figured out that much from his stream, given how it's in Japanese and it's really rare when he says anything.

He answered some questions in the chat a few times, but ultimately he's not using anything terribly unusual. He put out a book about drawing manga a little while back: http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/408874859X

I can't remember if he goes into coloring in it, but it's a neat little book. Unlike a normal drawing technique book, the whole thing is in comic form. Though I'm not sure how useful it'd be if you can't read it.

As far as Copics go, you might want to shop around a bit. I don't think the official US distributor's adjusted their prices for the recent-ish changes to the exchange rate yet.

Battle Strudel
Jan 1, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

If you're just getting started on Copics, try picking up Copic Ciaos instead of Sketches. They're smaller so don't last as long without refilling, but they're cheaper and still have the same neat bendy brush-like tip Sketches have. Ciaos + Refils work out cheaper in the long run anyway, and they do some good sets as well. You'll wanna pick up a colourless blender as well as your basic colours.

Watching the stream though, a lot of the really polished stuff does come from his paints, just his brushes seem to have a thick barrel so they look quite like pens. I'm curious what brushes he's using, getting the right brush makes such a difference.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

Battle Strudel posted:

Watching the stream though, a lot of the really polished stuff does come from his paints, just his brushes seem to have a thick barrel so they look quite like pens. I'm curious what brushes he's using, getting the right brush makes such a difference.

He uses Neo-Sable Brushes and waterclor painting.From personal exprience there are a ton of good brushes around I don't think a specific brand will make a difference, but is always good to try.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

passed by the mom and pop store and bought me a starter kit of greys 'cause those things are expensive, but holy moly is it worth every penny.

Here's my first attempt at using them on a quick sketch, I'm posting it here because it's fanart of one-punch man so it's relevant:-

Soon my dreams of moving to japan and becoming a Mangaka will be complete. Thank you, Murata.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The next chapter is out in Japanese, right on schedule for the first time in months, I think. "Only" a black and white chapter, but still really good, and respectably long at 40+ pages.

Also, the third volume, "Rumors," is out as of today, with everyone's favorite ninja gracing the cover. This volume's dust jacket shenanigans involve sliding the jacket up to reveal that the illustration is continued underneath--that is, if you stack the dust jacket above the inner cover you get a complete illustration of Sonic's upper and lower body.

In other news, the original Onepunch-Man updated with a new chapter which ended on the worst cliffhanger ever :argh:. ONE's wesite is down for the moment so he's hosting it and the previous two chapters on his pixiv account.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 4, 2013

Good_Haro
Mar 14, 2009

Noted shitposter.

AnonSpore posted:

The next chapter is out in Japanese, right on schedule for the first time in months, I think. "Only" a black and white chapter, but still really good, and respectably long at 40+ pages.

I couldn't help but laugh when Murata tweeted the other day that after doing that full color chapter, black and white seems so easy he now thinks he could easily do 100 pages a week! I think he inked the last 18 pages in 10 hours.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Good_Haro posted:

I couldn't help but laugh when Murata tweeted the other day that after doing that full color chapter, black and white seems so easy he now thinks he could easily do 100 pages a week! I think he inked the last 18 pages in 10 hours.

:drat: Murata is a mad mofo of a genius.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

AnonSpore posted:

In other news, the original Onepunch-Man updated with a new chapter which ended on the worst cliffhanger ever :argh:. ONE's wesite is down for the moment so he's hosting it and the previous two chapters on his pixiv account.

I haven't been keeping up with the original, but somebody actually took a punch and stood up afterwards? How often has that happened?:stare:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So angry.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Onepunch-Man/Onepunch-Man---027--?id=160590

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
New chapter is out at Boon's page.

Also the Batoto link to it.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 5, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

That chapter was horribly translated.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Please read Boon's version. I'm not sure the other translator actually knows Japanese at all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Wow, this has sure been good for Saitama's lack of affect. Anger is healthy.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Genos's reactions to Saitama's ignorance will probably never stop being funny to me.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That chapter was horribly translated.

The Batoto translation is perfectly fine.

This entire chapter was great. I especially liked the commentary from the old man hero. "Welp. You just failed, kid." He didn't even need to watch the fireworks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Oh, Saitama, I knew they'd hate you for that. :(

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Saitama's I don't give a gently caress about you attitude is awesome. He's the best self-serving rear end in a top hat ever.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Sure he cares. He's all, "Air your complaints, you shits. Or don't. Either is fine. If you keep quiet I'll ignore you forever."

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Bang calling Tank Top Black Hole "Young one with the athletic undershirt" got me. I imagine him saying it like an ancient master reciting koans and it's so funny.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think i don't get the last page.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's a preview for the next chapter, which will kick off the next major arc.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I wonder if Saitama will ever get a hero name or they'll just roll with [spoiler]'Rank C no. 5 Saitama'[/spoiler
I mean with the comic's name you'd expect he's eventually gonna get SOMETHING.

e: I'm dumb

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 6, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
His hero name will be Baldy, or possibly just "That Guy".

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 6, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colon Semicolon posted:

I wonder if Saitama will ever get a hero name or they'll just roll with 'Rank S no. 5 Saitama'

He's not Rank S No. 5, though. He's Rank C No. 5.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Colon Semicolon posted:

I wonder if Saitama will ever get a hero name or they'll just roll with 'Rank S no. 5 Saitama'

There's no way he's not eventually going to be called One Punch Man, but in the meantime, Rank C no. 5 Saitama works perfectly fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

tsob posted:

His hero name will be Baldy, or possibly just "That Guy".

No, he needs something with pop. Something with verve. Something like describes his method to a tee.

Something like...Onepunch Man.

e: aww man, i was just beaten

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Something like describes his method to a tee.

Something like... the Caped Baldy.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

AnonSpore posted:

I'm seconding this. Considering people are getting stuck with names in regards to the color of their shirts this seems very likely.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

AnonSpore posted:

I though this was his hero name. Maybe I am just making up memories.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I though this was his hero name. Maybe I am just making up memories.

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/141999/onepunch-man_ch17.1_by_boon-scanlation/4

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
The translation of the latest chapter on Kissmanga is among the worst I have ever seen.

Is tanked top black whole supposed to be Tanktop Black Hole?

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 6, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

The translation of the latest chapter on Kissmanga is among the worst I have ever seen.

Yes, but don't read the bad translation. Ever.

Read the good one instead.

AnonSpore posted:

New chapter is out at Boon's page.

Also the Batoto link to it.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

The_Angry_Turtle posted:

No idea what the hell you're talking about. It makes absolute sense that when it comes to Saitama "hearing one of his yell would do no good to the quietness".

Seriously I'm not sure the translator speaks either Japanese or English. It's like they used Google Translate and didn't even try to correct the glaring mistakes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

HenryEx posted:

I think i don't get the last page.
Saitama effortlessly won a fight with some tank top guys, then yelled at the bystanders.

Later, a sea monster attacked the city.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Saitama's reaction was the best. This is why he's such a great protagonist.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
:saddowns: It's your fault my house got des-
:sotw: SAY THAT TO THE METEOR, RETARD

I love it when a manga can make me laugh out loud. Saitama is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Saitama really doesn't give a poo poo at all. It's so great. Also Geno. Hahah he really looks up to Saitama. That action panel of him furiously writing down the quote had me in stitches. I thought I would get tired of Saitama one punching poo poo but it hasn't gotten old.

How long has this manga have been going?

I hope it never stops.