Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Ha! Take that Strongholdlikers :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Comrade Flynn posted:

I better get my drat stronghold.

Me too! What did the Paypal numbers end up being?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Congratulations Brother None and everyone at Inxile. The final figure blew away my expectations. I had my doubts you'd reach Wasteland 2 levels before that spectacular opening day. Good stuff.

Looking forward to playing W2 later this year (don't disappoint!).

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Noricae posted:

It'll depend if they count the 200k extra donations.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Great Rumbler posted:

I'm still holding out hope for Wizardry 9.

I would give the smoldering remnants of SirTech so much money.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Noricae posted:

It was like 130,000ish. I dont think the stronghold made it. Its pretty impressive we got EVERYTHING but that though!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Noricae posted:

Did you guys see the gog.com pack up today? $20 for a bunch of games, $1.99 each: http://www.gog.com/promo/hasbro_stacking_weekend_promo_050413 Buy that! ;)

edit: Nevermind, it's five pages back. Man this thread is moving fast.

Thanks for posting, as I missed the earlier one. I got a copy of PS:T, hopefully I'll finish it this time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Comrade Flynn posted:

It'll depend if they count the 200k extra donations.

They've said that's to cover Kickstarter's cut, amazons cut, and failed pledges.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

FRINGE posted:

It was like 130,000ish. I dont think the stronghold made it. Its pretty impressive we got EVERYTHING but that though!
Awww, lame! I think they should count the late donators for the next month or two ;)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
One thing I'm wondering is what they gonna do with all the Wasteland 2 money they will be getting long before this ships. I mean KS was meant to cover all their development costs so any copies they sell should be pure profit. Is all that money going straight to their pockets, or are they going to invest at least some of that in eg. Torment's development. Shouldn't be a problem for inxile to cover for that missing 100k or so for the final stretch goal if they wanted to.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

Zilkin posted:

One thing I'm wondering is what they gonna do with all the Wasteland 2 money they will be getting long before this ships. I mean KS was meant to cover all their development costs so any copies they sell should be pure profit. Is all that money going straight to their pockets, or are they going to invest at least some of that in eg. Torment's development. Shouldn't be a problem for inxile to cover for that missing 100k or so for the final stretch goal if they wanted to.

They're going to need to pay their design team something when they're done with their Torment work. Though at this rate I'm sure they'll just kickstart that game too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AllanGordon posted:

They're going to need to pay their design team something when they're done with their Torment work. Though at this rate I'm sure they'll just kickstart that game too.

At some point you hit diminishing returns though, personally I'd be loathe to kickstart another Inxile game now that they have two potentially profitable projcets. Maybe I'm harping too much on the name, but to me Kickstarting is just that, it was a chance to give studios that I love like Obsidian and Double Fine the opportunity to break off from harsh yoke of monolithic publishers. If these companies achieve great success and independence from these projects I expect them to start self funding future projects and taking on the risk themselves.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

At some point you hit diminishing returns though, personally I'd be loathe to kickstart another Inxile game now that they have two potentially profitable projcets. Maybe I'm harping too much on the name, but to me Kickstarting is just that, it was a chance to give studios that I love like Obsidian and Double Fine the opportunity to break off from harsh yoke of monolithic publishers. If these companies achieve great success and independence from these projects I expect them to start self funding future projects and taking on the risk themselves.
I am fine with them using kickstarter for these games that dont fit the OMG FPS HALO BRAH funding and advertising model. It allows the fans to interact a great deal more as the project gets going.

I would not want to see another in this genre for a while though. WL2, P:E, and this are enough things to be 'pending' all at the same time. Plus Shadowrun for some, and Ultima for some others.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

That is an exceedingly large sum of money to get via KS and I'm happy to have contributed to it. I'd love to see the last stretch goal reached, maybe they should just round up to the nearest half-million or something ;)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My wallet lies a charred husk on the altar of the Changing God.

:woop:

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Demiurge4 posted:

I think InXile doesn't see it that way. For them it's not just about needing the funding constantly, but about working directly with their audience and getting people invested in the game long before it's out. If their project succeeds on Kickstarter, it's not just funded, it also means that people actually care about it and want it, so they know that it's worth pursuing. I think there's definitely a lot of benefits there for backers even if it means we're essentially shouldering the risk ahead of time. Except we're only personally risking as much as we're prepared to lose int he first place as opposed to a publisher who would risk that many millions all at once, and it's a safer bet* because we're the target audience for it.

*In theory at least. W'll have a much better idea of how safe it is or isn't once Broken Age and Wasteland 2 come out.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I agree that 3 kickstarted games at once would be way too much, but the worry about smaller projects getting overshadowed seems misguided; either in this very thread or the Richard Gariott kickstarter thread, someone linked a statistic showing that the small kickstarters generally receive a ton more money when a big popular project like Wasteland 2, P:E, DoubleFine Adventure, Torment, etc. is going on. The funding breakdown posted in the Divinity thread supports this with the majority of funding coming from dudes that browse the "Discover: Games" category on the KS site.

Basically, even if InXile and Obsidian were to use Kickstarter for every single project from hereon out, smaller kickstarters would still benefit immensely (so long as InXile & Obsidian's projects maintain popularity) due to Kickstarter itself getting more popular from these projects.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

FRINGE posted:

I would not want to see another in this genre for a while though. WL2, P:E, and this are enough things to be 'pending' all at the same time. Plus Shadowrun for some, and Ultima for some others.

I think this is also where I'm at. I wanna see some 4X legacy games kickstarted, 2014 Masters of Magic :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

DrManiac posted:

I think this is also where I'm at. I wanna see some 4X legacy games kickstarted, 2014 Masters of Magic :getin:

I would basically empty my savings account for a modern remake of MoM with identical mechanics except for the addition of proper multiplayer.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm really interested to see how these games sell. I go back and forth, but right now I'm thinking the proportion of people who hear "pay us $50 now and get a game in two years" and think "yeah, sounds good" can't be that high. Especially with three RPGs basically in a row, although they are all filling different niches.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
It's probably not that high, but those people probably see it differently. Instead of paying now for a game later, you get the warm and fuzzy feeling of supporting a project near and dear to you and those working on it.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
They won't do 3. They said they did this one because wasteland 2 is finishing up adn they're ready to get design guys on it.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'm very curious as to whether inXile will continue to make isometric RPGs after these games or if they will use their newfound independence to do something really different.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

the black husserl posted:

I'm very curious as to whether inXile will continue to make isometric RPGs after these games or if they will use their newfound independence to do something really different.

Match-3 puzzle solitaire. :pcgaming:

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

the black husserl posted:

I wouldn't mind them doing some kind of "smaller" bridge project post-Wasteland 2 and prior to the release of Torment.

But I'd really like to see them do a proper sequel to The Bard's Tale, full of turn-based and first-person goodness.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Question is how profitable these games are going to be. If Wasteland 2 comes out and does surprisingly poorly they'll still need another cash shot to get whatever comes out next going. It might very well be that everyone that wants a copy will either have their own or have a friend that donated at the 2 copy tier and just gets a free one.

I think that's unlikely but it may end up being the case.

If the opposite happens and they get a huge amount of cash they may ramp up their vision next time around and try to make a 10mil game instead of a 4million game but only have 9mill in profit.

As with any pre-order it's a gamble but as long as their lowest pledge is so reasonable I can't see myself turning my nose up at it. $25 for a game just isn't that big of a risk it takes a horrible game for me to feel I haven't gotten my money's out of it at that level. They start having the lowest tier be $50+ after a successful game that's the time to start wondering WTF is going on.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Masonity posted:

What's stopping you from playing planescape now? It's still awesome at what it's good at (story) and awful at what it's bad at (combat).

We can all agree that the story is the best thing about the game, but the combat is far from awful..

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So I want to add an Idea to the Ideas page that's 'Press a key/button to toggle every usable object in an area;' is that Idea already up? If not, what category should it be in?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Oasx posted:

We can all agree that the story is the best thing about the game, but the combat is far from awful..

It's much, much, much worse than any of the other IE engine games, even the very early ones like BG1 and IWD. In fact, I'm not even sure how it ended up so much worse than BG1 given that it came out over a year later. The combat in PS:T has prevented me from ever finishing it (or even getting very far), while I've finished all the other games several times.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Oasx posted:

What?

The combat in Planscape is unremittingly terrible. It manages to be worse than even the fairly clunky Baldur's Gate series, and they're both running on the atrocious D&D 2E chassis converted into a 'real-time with pause!' system which rewards micromanaging the gently caress out of everything and pausing the action every second or two.

If the game had even just been full on turn-based it would have been a massive improvement. And might have even made physical attributes not completely worthless. Though in Torment's case the decision to lock so much stuff behind mental stat barriers while Mages already dominate the combat system and never really give any areas where other types of characters could even do anything a Mage couldn't do sort of show where the design priorities lay. It sure as hell wasn't the mechanics, or combat.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 6, 2013

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

John McCain posted:

The combat in PS:T has prevented me from ever finishing it (or even getting very far), while I've finished all the other games several times.
I have heard this a couple times, but never understood it. Its been a while since I played it but I never really found the combat to be that hard, even if you dislike the interface. (Plus, you know, "death lol".)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

mental stat barriers while Mages already dominate
Wisdom was the most important xp and conversation stat, not Int. Your edition warrior stuff can go somewhere else.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FRINGE posted:

Wisdom was the most important xp and conversation stat, not Int. Your edition warrior stuff can go somewhere else.

Wis: 263
Int: 597
Cha: 452
Str: 81
Dex: 90
Con: 9

Those were how many times your stats had to be above a certain threshold to trigger something in Torment. Wis had the most important checks, but Int and Cha were checked all the time. They unlocked a hell of a lot more content than someone who focused on the physical stats.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 6, 2013

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

FRINGE posted:

I have heard this a couple times, but never understood it. Its been a while since I played it but I never really found the combat to be that hard, even if you dislike the interface. (Plus, you know, "death lol".)

It's not a matter of being hard, it's a matter of being tedious as gently caress and not worth the payoff.

e: one big factor contributing to the tediousness is the radial menus

John McCain fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 6, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Darkhold posted:

Question is how profitable these games are going to be. If Wasteland 2 comes out and does surprisingly poorly they'll still need another cash shot to get whatever comes out next going. It might very well be that everyone that wants a copy will either have their own or have a friend that donated at the 2 copy tier and just gets a free one.

I think that's unlikely but it may end up being the case.

I don't know why you would even think that. It's been categorically proven that people will buy poo poo if it goes up on Steam or Gog or Origin or wherever. It's been shown that when you get press, people will buy what the press write about.

Your concern (argument?) is like saying the people who preordered Tomb Raider or Thief 4 or Far Cry 3 or some strange niche space game like FTL are the only ones who will buy them.

edit: And PS:T is worth playing again just for the 9th level spell animations. :allears:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Zore posted:

Note that this includes "is stat 9+?" checks that are nearly impossible to fail in an unmodded game.

And woah, I never realized that there were that many Charisma checks. The only big one I recall (that is, one that locks you out of significant chunk of content if you can't pass it) is learning Stones-Bones-Tell.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 6, 2013

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Then again, if you max out your constitution like my brother did, you regenerate absurdly quickly.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Zore posted:

Those were how many times your stats had to be above a certain threshold to trigger something in Torment. Wis had the most important checks, but Int and Cha were checked all the time. They unlocked a hell of a lot more content than someone who focused on the physical stats.
A lot of the Int checks were for talking your way out of something you otherwise could have fought through. (Which was more fun - its true.) And like Ephemeron said, many of the checks are trivial.

For people that are just now playing this for the first time: Wisdom gives you MASSIVE xp bonuses in PS:T. If you want to level up very quickly then Wis is your friend.

quote:

A Wisdom of 12 and lower, no bonus
13 gives you about a 2% bonus to experience
14 5%
15 8%
16 10%
17 13%
18 15%
19 18%
20 20%
21 23%
22 25%
23 27%
24 30%
25 35%

Taking fighter until 7, then a SMALL bit of rogue, and then finishing with wizard is pretty fun. TNO gets a special bonus for whichever class first hits lv7, and whichever first hits lv12. I would make fighter the first to level 7, and then have mage be the first to lv 12.

Theres a lot of opportunities for TNO to [redacted] and get stat increases. Keep you eye(s?) open. (Cheat list tells me theres 7 points just in wisdom you could potentially get...)

Also this:

Drifter posted:

edit: And PS:T is worth playing again just for the 9th level spell animations. :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
The only point I was really trying to make was that the mental stats gave truckloads more options and unlocked more optional content than the physical stats did. If you leave your Con at 12 the entire game there is exactly one time you won't pass a Con check, and you can pass that with a strength check. If you neglect Cha, Int or Wis to that level you're going to be missing out on a lot more than that.

And considering how the game treats them equally at character creation, that is terrible game design. Being a physically gifted and middling mental character crippled your Exp gain, didn't give you any fun options and forced you to miss out on large portions of the story. There weren't nearly enough things like Strength checks to intimidate people into not fighting you, or Dexterity checks to pickpocket details notes that told you stuff you might have noticed with high wisdom, or Constitution checks that existed. Torment only really rewards characters who primarily focus on mental stats, they get all the same options that characters who focus on the physical stats do and they get to level up faster, get more gold, get extra quest rewards etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
That's how my main characters are in RPGs anyways so it worked out well for me, but I hope the new game has more options in that regard.

Just got widescreen set up for my old PS:T, maybe I'll try playing a bit later. Thing about those old games is that you forget the long, boring, tedious parts.

• Locked thread