Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Sage advice

Thanks very much, I think you're probably right. I've had good luck with the Halfords pro tools, the 150 piece one practically lives in the back of my LR and has seen a lot of use. I did have a little look at the cabinets a while ago but wasn't impressed with them.

I've used shadowboard here and there but for some reason I nearly always end up with a lovely painted board and no / few tools actually on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, check this out, an adaptor for a trolley jack to let you jack up an axle with an offset diff (like most 4x4 front axles and quite a few rear ones) without being way off the centreline:

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=16291&PromotionID=90369&PromotionTitleID=486

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYXXs9RpGNM

Bit much for what it is, but you could knock up your own pretty easily, especially as it wouldn't need to be adjustable.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Wow that is nice--I hope HF has a cheap version in the future.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Dear thread, please educate me on rivets, and the riveting thereof. I need to replace the bits that grip the laces on my snowboard boots, and they are riveted in. Burton sent me replacements, and some semi-tubular rivets to attach them. I've used pop rivets in the past, is there a simple, cheap tool like the pop-rivet gun to rivet these semi-tubular rivets? I'm seeing big industrial looking things that are all over $100.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Something like a rivet squeezer? http://www.aircraft-spruce.com/menus/to/rivet_1squeezers.html

Or could you just get the dies and hammer them over?

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.
I just bought one of these: http://www.maxidas.com/

So far, all I can say is it takes forever to update. You'd think for the price it would have a faster wifi adapter in it. I could always pull the SD card and update it in my laptop, but :effort:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Anyone have a suggestion for a good socket storage solution that can travel (preferably a spring-peg platter or a pegbox rather than strips)?

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 26, 2013

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

lolricecamrylol posted:

I just bought one of these: http://www.maxidas.com/

So far, all I can say is it takes forever to update. You'd think for the price it would have a faster wifi adapter in it. I could always pull the SD card and update it in my laptop, but :effort:

Do you have a compatible vehicle list?

If its good for Range Rovers, (specifically the P38's and L322's), it would be nice to have a tool for the E60 as well.

But I also have a dumb plan to go all Rover here in the near future.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Splizwarf posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a good socket storage solution that can travel (preferably a spring-peg platter or a pegbox rather than strips)?

What kind of sockets and how many of them is kind of important to know but I use this for my impacts.

The middle part is a magnet so they stick to it from both sides. Pretty nifty.
I think they are like 15 - 20 bucks at Sears.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
^ Was literally going to post those.

I have 6 of those bad boys, 2 for 1/4 inch metric and standard, 2 for 3/8ths, and 2 for 1/2 inch.

They are a god send. You can carry the entire thing without any of the sockets falling off, you can easily take them off the magnets, and the BEST part is, the bottom of the trays have a strong magnet strip so you can slap them on the side of your toolbox, or, wait for it....to the VERY CAR YOU ARE WORKING ON.

Plus I have a drawer in my box with all 6 of them lined up neatly. It just looks nice.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
After dealing with my lovely craftsman ratchets for a year I decided to finally pony up and buy some nice flex-head Snapon ratchets. I wish I hadn't waited so long. They were worth every penny.

1/4" drive flexhead 8.25" long

3/8" drive flexhead 13.7" long

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004
minivanmegafun bought me this account and said I'm stuck with this title until I derice my car.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Do you have a compatible vehicle list?

If its good for Range Rovers, (specifically the P38's and L322's), it would be nice to have a tool for the E60 as well.

But I also have a dumb plan to go all Rover here in the near future.

http://www.maxidas.com/coverage/index.aspx?page=1

If you go to that link and page over to find Land Rover, then click on the logo it will bring up a compatible vehicle list.

Seriously though, if it has a diagnostic port it should have full dealer-level capabilities and output controls. I've been playing around with it the past couple of days and it really is awesome, especially for the price. Yes, it seems like a lot (I paid $1800 to get a legit unit, some of the ones available online are the Chinese versions and cannot be updated in the U.S.) but compared to buying the next most capable unit (the Snap-On Verus PRO (about $10k) or buying each dealer scan-tool separately, it is one hell of a bargain.

Most people on here wont be able to justify the price, but those of us that do this for a living really can appreciate the value of a tool like this.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Brain Issues posted:

After dealing with my lovely craftsman ratchets for a year I decided to finally pony up and buy some nice flex-head Snapon ratchets. I wish I hadn't waited so long. They were worth every penny.

1/4" drive flexhead 8.25" long

3/8" drive flexhead 13.7" long

Got the same but I stuck with a hard plastic handle. Love every second I use them. But you have opened up pandoras box my friend....

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
If anyone needs drill bits, there's an eBay seller who is selling sets of Norseman bits for cheap. He's accepting offers of $50 per set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171014517480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321096858625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The ones with the 3 flats on them are HSS, the round shanks are Moly bits that are supposed to be really good for harder materials like Stainless.
I bought both sets... $100 for two sets of bits that normally sell for $100 each.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

lolricecamrylol posted:

Most people on here wont be able to justify the price, but those of us that do this for a living really can appreciate the value of a tool like this.

If your dealing with specialty vehicles, its actually quite worth the price to have 1 tool to do all the work.

Seeing how I really do like odd ball vehicles, this would be worth it. I can easily sell my Hawekeye Scan tool for rovers and purchase this, work for both my BMW and Rover.

And seeing how I would eventually like to purchase a Jaguar later down the road, a tool that can do all the odd ball cars I love so much, it would be worth it for me.

lolricecamrylol
Sep 27, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

If your dealing with specialty vehicles, its actually quite worth the price to have 1 tool to do all the work.

Seeing how I really do like odd ball vehicles, this would be worth it. I can easily sell my Hawekeye Scan tool for rovers and purchase this, work for both my BMW and Rover.

And seeing how I would eventually like to purchase a Jaguar later down the road, a tool that can do all the odd ball cars I love so much, it would be worth it for me.

I reprogrammed some keys for a Chrysler Town and Country with it today. It was so sweet telling my boss "No, we don't need to send it to the dealer. I can do it here :smug: "

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I need a proper timing strobe. I'm going to lose a hand if I get too close to the crank pulley on the Fairlane. What a pain in the rear end. Maybe one will come up cheap on eBay or something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Brits! Halfords have their usual Easter offers on, and one of these is the 150pc socket and spanner set for 80 instead of 200. If you need some hand tools, or just think you might in the future, I strongly urge you to grab one!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sharkytm posted:

If anyone needs drill bits, there's an eBay seller who is selling sets of Norseman bits for cheap. He's accepting offers of $50 per set.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171014517480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321096858625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The ones with the 3 flats on them are HSS, the round shanks are Moly bits that are supposed to be really good for harder materials like Stainless.
I bought both sets... $100 for two sets of bits that normally sell for $100 each.

All out of the Moly bits :(

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

Brits! Halfords have their usual Easter offers on, and one of these is the 150pc socket and spanner set for 80 instead of 200. If you need some hand tools, or just think you might in the future, I strongly urge you to grab one!

God drat, converted to the lovely dollar to pound rate, its still a god drat good bargain for the amount of stuff in there.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

General_Failure posted:

I need a proper timing strobe. I'm going to lose a hand if I get too close to the crank pulley on the Fairlane. What a pain in the rear end. Maybe one will come up cheap on eBay or something.

Self quoting!

This weekend I bought an inductive timing light on eBay. From the U.K. $30 including postage. Beats the pants off prices here. I'm still not really sure how to safely do the timing given the way the serpentine belt runs but it's a massive step in the right direction. My inline light didn't put out enough light to do the job at any distance.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Halfords tools are great; they will honour the lifetime guarantee too! It is also incredibly easy to get a trade card there for another ~20% off tools.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
There is a dangerous game brewing in the shop called make someone buy something stupid when the tool guys come. The rules are straight forward. You find something the tool guy has on special that your buddy has been wanting for a while and call him a pathetic little bitch until he buys it.
Today the Matco guy came and I fell victim to these

and a little flash light. Unfazed I countered by demanding my buddy replace his old and worn air ratchet with a new one after all he only wanted was a 12 dollar cover. My grand total tool debt so far is like $1300 while he is sitting with a tad under 2000 so Im winning.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I need a recommendation on a mig welder. So far I'm seriously considering the Lincoln Easymig 140. But as I now reside in Windsor ON, prices are considerably higher than the US. I think I'll still be better off to buy a welder in Detroit even if I have to pay taxes coming back over. I need something that runs on 115v. It will be used for light duty stuff welding on thin gauge steel.

I did check out Princess Auto today. I'll be making many trips there for the next few years that we are here.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

bung posted:

I need a recommendation on a mig welder. So far I'm seriously considering the Lincoln Easymig 140. But as I now reside in Windsor ON, prices are considerably higher than the US. I think I'll still be better off to buy a welder in Detroit even if I have to pay taxes coming back over. I need something that runs on 115v. It will be used for light duty stuff welding on thin gauge steel.

I did check out Princess Auto today. I'll be making many trips there for the next few years that we are here.

With MIGs you get what you pay for. I won't recommend mine to you because it's Australian made including the components. Bloody good welder though. It was the best one I could find before needing to step up to 415v three phase. As it is this one is meant to be hardwired into its own circuit but the manufacturer nicely includes a plug on the end labelled "for testing purposes only".

You may want to hunt for a good condition, good quality used one. Mine cost over $1000 new but other offerings less than that had no aftermarket support and were essentially rebadged Chinese specials. Do your homework, and lots of it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Preoptopus posted:

There is a dangerous game brewing in the shop called make someone buy something stupid when the tool guys come.

This is horrifying. And yet, pretty funny.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Might be a dumb question, but I'm building a house and I want an outlet in the garage for a compressor and a welder. How many volts does it need to be? I see things listed as 220/230/240, etc. Is it all the same thing or do I need to pick one and buy all my equipment to that standard?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just went through and gave the 3/4" tools I picked up today a quick spraydown with inox. They look to have some standing water damage and will need a wire brush job but I wanted to neutralize the rust first.

They seem to be a mixture of SEK, Sidchrome and Minimax. I really can't complain. There's easily $500 worth of tools there. 3/4" stuff is stupidly expensive here in the land of Oz.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

kmcormick9 posted:

Might be a dumb question, but I'm building a house and I want an outlet in the garage for a compressor and a welder. How many volts does it need to be? I see things listed as 220/230/240, etc. Is it all the same thing or do I need to pick one and buy all my equipment to that standard?

They're mostly all talking about the same thing. Same as 110, 115, 117, 120, and 125 are all the same thing - just made in different eras and/or some are intended for industrial areas, others for residential, etc. They will all work in the same circuit.

220 = double 110
230 = double 115
240 = double 120

Basically it's just a slightly varying standard, AC line voltage is never really constant. The easiest way to get what you want is to spec an electric dryer outlet (30 amp, 220/230/240/250 volt) or electric range outlet (50 amp, same voltage, w/ neutral) where you want it in the garage.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

bung posted:

Ive got a Lincoln 180C and its a fantastic MIG. Cost me about $1200 australian and i cannot fault it running solid wire and gas

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Ive got a Lincoln 180C and its a fantastic MIG. Cost me about $1200 australian and i cannot fault it running solid wire and gas

I didn't even know we could get hold of Lincolns here. I looked around and came up blank. Much love for my Weldmaster though. I talked to the people in the know at the factory directly do discover whether it was what I was after. Funny thing is the product listing looks different to mine. I think mine was an early first production run one. Still needs a trolley. That copper transformer and big reel is a killer.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

kastein posted:

They're mostly all talking about the same thing. Same as 110, 115, 117, 120, and 125 are all the same thing - just made in different eras and/or some are intended for industrial areas, others for residential, etc. They will all work in the same circuit.

220 = double 110
230 = double 115
240 = double 120

Basically it's just a slightly varying standard, AC line voltage is never really constant. The easiest way to get what you want is to spec an electric dryer outlet (30 amp, 220/230/240/250 volt) or electric range outlet (50 amp, same voltage, w/ neutral) where you want it in the garage.

Which would you recommend for using standard plugs that come on the equipment?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kmcormick9 posted:

Which would you recommend for using standard plugs that come on the equipment?

That depends on the equipment. There isn't even really a "standard" dryer outlet (3 prong or 4 prong L14-30s are the two most popular).

If you don't want to cut cords off, check what plug it comes with and get the appropriate receptacle.

I typically use twist-locks for everything (large) and cut off whatever the equipment came with.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Same. I generally want to be able to move stuff further than the cord will reach though, so I'd just make an extension cord with the right gauge cable and the required plug and socket to make things work.

I have a 220/110 4 prong twistlok on the outside wall of my house for the welder, but anything works really, especially if it's in an enclosed, weatherproof location.

PS: Motronic, I know you've mentioned being a building inspector in the past. What's your take on AFCI or GFCI requirement for a garage or outside 220 outlet? Right now I'm probably not compliant, I have a regular breaker feeding it because I couldn't find a GFCI 30A dual gang breaker for less than $texas that would fit my panel, and I'm not sure a welder would even go very well with a GFCI breaker anyways.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

PS: Motronic, I know you've mentioned being a building inspector in the past. What's your take on AFCI or GFCI requirement for a garage or outside 220 outlet? Right now I'm probably not compliant, I have a regular breaker feeding it because I couldn't find a GFCI 30A dual gang breaker for less than $texas that would fit my panel, and I'm not sure a welder would even go very well with a GFCI breaker anyways.

Arc fault is only required in bedrooms and would likely be problematic when being used for garage type equipment.

Ground fault should be on all 120v outlets in your garage.

220v requires neither by code. The only reason you found a 30A GFCI is because they are required on hot tub and pool heaters. Don't waste your money. Sure, it's safer. But it's not required by code and only necessary if you are a complete moron around electrical devices in the garage.

Edit: and I'm talking about NEC/I-codes here. Your mileage my vary, but most municipalities/states are using the I-codes now (which reference the NEC) and even if they aren't their own codes reference the NEC anyway.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 6, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Excellent, that's what I was leaning towards but wasn't sure what the official take on 220 was.

I think you MIGHT be incorrect (at least on NEC 11 and later - iirc it's changed, but many municipalities haven't started using it and mine is probably among them) about AFCI only being required in bedrooms, there's a lot of debate about that online and I couldn't determine for sure which way it was - some people say living rooms, halls, dining rooms, etc need it as well, and that basically everything in a modern house should be either AFCI or GFCI unless it's running a smoke/CO alarm or has some other very good reason not to be. Basically, I am not sure.

And yeah, GFCI for everything in bathrooms, kitchens, basements, garages, and outside areas is my understanding.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

I think you MIGHT be incorrect (at least on NEC 11 and later - iirc it's changed, but many municipalities haven't started using it and mine is probably among them) about AFCI only being required in bedrooms, there's a lot of debate about that online and I couldn't determine for sure which way it was

Yeah, my code knowledge is 2 or 3 years out of date. I know that a change was coming down the pipeline that was phrased as "living spaces", and everyone was complaining that it was ambiguous. Good to know they didn't bother correcting it even after asking for and receiving review from those of us out in the field. That's pretty normal.

ANyway, to add to this.....if you tried to use an arc welder on a GFCI outlet I can guarantee you wouldn't get anywhere. Even GMAW/FCAW likes to trip GFCIs occasionally (seemingly depending on settings and how you get the arc started) so I've wired a non GFCI outlet just for my little 120v welder.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 6, 2013

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica
When it comes to multimeters does splurging on an expensive one really matter? As long as it works I don't see the purpose.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When working in a car, whatever works is probably good enough. You'll want an expensive one when exact and consistent readings matter, but in a car, "is it hooked up" and "is this getting 12-14 V" are generally all you care about.

Get something with a continuity tester, though. Makes life easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

VanNuys posted:

When it comes to multimeters does splurging on an expensive one really matter? As long as it works I don't see the purpose.
IIRC a lot of people in this thread use the free one from Harbor Freight for doing ballpark/"is it hot?" measurements, and it works well enough.