Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Hey, you know Rik D. and Tony don't you?

I don't know? Full names?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Goreld posted:

The fast pace cannot be underlined enough. You move *FAST* in Doom - around 90 mph at full speed, and nothing slows down the action.

Kind of agree with you. loving health regen in games these days takes you out of combat where you wait safely and briefly behind cover ubtil you're at full health, whereas the older fps games would have you running for the nearest health pack, blasting away packs of brutal monsters as you did so.

Also slime. And lava.

Vvvvvvvv
Picked this up on steam yesterday and I'm glad they've added quick save/load. Forgot how brutal this game could be. How does the patch improve mouse aiming, though?
Vvvvvvvv

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 4, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Update for Duke 3D Megaton:

quote:

Version 1.0.1
- Added "Take No Prisoners" achievement
- Added "Invaiders Must Die!" achievement
- Added VSync option (Video settings)
- Added Max FPS option (Video settings)
- Added Quick save/load keybindings (F9/F6 by default)
- Added awesome people to credits
- Improved mouse aiming
- Fixed in-game crashes
- Fixed textures misalignment
- Fixed MacOX 10.6 startup issue (Remove "duke3d-local.cfg" if after update the issue will happen again)
- Other fixes and improvments

The two new achievements are for killing 1000 enemies (not retroactive, of course) and killing all enemies in a level.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Update for Duke 3D Megaton:

The two new achievements are for killing 1000 enemies (not retroactive, of course) and killing all enemies in a level.

What I would really like is a "virtual 320x200 resolution" option that emulates the low resolution of the game. Chocolate Doom does this (the game runs at 320x200 and is enlarged to fit a certain resolution), and the GOG version of Dungeon Keeper 2 does something similar as well (the game is patched to use a fake renderer running at 640x480, then enlarged to fit desktop resolution with necessary pillarboxing), but no other ports do this. I really want to experience these games in something approximating mode 13h (that is, 320x200 stretched to 4:3 ratio) while having the modern amenities of source ports, but only Chocolate Doom does this, and even then it doesn't support things like extended limits or zdoom scripting, limiting my ability to enjoy wads with the port.

EDIT: Project Free Fall, a new Tribes-like multiplayer FPS, is releasing a netcode update and running a playtest from 10am to 12pm and 4pm to 6pm PST (that's 1pm to 3pm and 7pm to 9pm EST). Check it out!

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Apr 4, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I don't know? Full names?

Rik Dimond.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

I do not. I know a Tony here though.

If he used to be here, I started in August 2 years ago, so if they left before then I probably don't know them.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
So who else here tried making your house as your first duke3d map?

I spent so much time goofing off in build making lovely little maps. I figured out how to use build by just deconstructing other peoples maps, and those default ones that came with the editor. Haha, I remember the first time I figured out how to make moving sectors (ie like trams or cars) I built a speeding couch that circled a giant race track squishing slimer eggs.
Then I figured out how to make orchestrated explosions/demolish buildings. I made this gigantic, elaborate crumbling building with all these gently caress off explosions that took me hours and hours to place. I remember the process to make the prefab explosions was kind of strange, like you placed all these explosive containers around where you wanted the explosions to happen, then you shrank the sprites so they were invisible and gave them all individual timers or something so they could go off at different intervals.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Segmentation Fault posted:

What I would really like is a "virtual 320x200 resolution" option that emulates the low resolution of the game. Chocolate Doom does this (the game runs at 320x200 and is enlarged to fit a certain resolution), and the GOG version of Dungeon Keeper 2 does something similar as well (the game is patched to use a fake renderer running at 640x480, then enlarged to fit desktop resolution with necessary pillarboxing), but no other ports do this.

That'd be neat. Closest you can get is setting it to 640x480 and setting "Textures" to "Retro". ...actually, there's nothing related to video settings in <userid>\225140\remote\duke3d.cfg, nor the registry so I have no drat clue where it stores that stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Temascos posted:

I'm really surprised ID take so drat long and tried to ape all popular FPS's at the moment rather than doing their own thing. Rage to me looked exactly like a lot of other games and lacked the old school style.
Rage was great, but it took seven loving years to make, which is about four too many.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Kins posted:

Rage was great, but it took seven loving years to make, which is about four too many.

The combat in Rage was great, but everything else was pretty mediocre. Which was a shame because there was not enough combat.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roobanguy posted:

The combat in Rage was great, but everything else was pretty mediocre. Which was a shame because there was not enough combat.

Yeah, the sub-Borderlands grinding and fake RPG elements really loving sucked. Just give me a competent shooter with fast movement and satisfying combat, and don't pad it out with boring poo poo.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
...Grinding?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

The fact that you have to buy ammo, upgrade weapons, and manage resources beyond just picking up ammo and health, those idiotic meteor shard collection minigames, (and while not necessarily grinding, but still tedious) the fact that you have to do side-quests and drive miles and miles to advance the plot.

It's everything that's unfun about RPGs without any of the redeeming aspects.

The tired post-apocalyptic setting didn't help things either.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Borderlands has the good sense to be gleefully over-the-top about everything you do, which takes most of the sting out of repetition.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On a shiny Doom note, for those who want their Doom with a little more 'oomph', but don't want to screw with play balance, the final version of Doom Expanded was released a few days ago.

It's basically a compilation of all the better graphical mods. Better coloured lighting, more particles, more enemy death animations, smoother weapons, etc. But nothing touched at all gameplay-wise, so it plays nicely with just about every WAD out there, even ones that add new enemies.

It also comes with a really nice custom HUD which reinstates the doomguy face and generally shows a lot more information without being cluttered.

Edit: It plays nicely with Back To Saturn X if you remember to load the map first and Expanded second.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 5, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

sector_corrector posted:

The fact that you have to buy ammo, upgrade weapons, and manage resources beyond just picking up ammo and health, those idiotic meteor shard collection minigames, (and while not necessarily grinding, but still tedious) the fact that you have to do side-quests and drive miles and miles to advance the plot.

It's everything that's unfun about RPGs without any of the redeeming aspects.

The tired post-apocalyptic setting didn't help things either.

You don't have to do the side quests, and in fact you actively should not because they don't generally introduce new environments and are pretty pointless. You have to buy ammo(not like money's an issue) and drive places but calling that grinding is a huge stretch. I thought you were saying you found somewhere you could reset enemies and shoot the same ones over and over and did that to farm materials.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Wow, I had never heard of either of these. Lunicus looks like it's pretty completely terrible, but Sensory Overload looks and sounds pretty interesting. The clickable buttons in the elevator is a feature that I don't recall seeing in another FPS until Doom 3 or so. What other Mac exclusive FPSes do you know of? I know next to nothing about early Mac stuff, so all I knew about were Pathways Into Darkness and the Marathon series.

I've mentioned all of these individually before and some day plan on doing a proper effortpost on the subject, but my favorite ones to bust out are what you might call the other Marathon trilogy. There were three games that licensed the Marathon 2 engine in the mid-90's and, while not strictly Mac-exclusive (two of them had PC ports), they were developed for the Mac first and foremost. What I love about them is that they took the same hokey, buggy FPS engine and made three distinctly different games.

The most famous one would probably be ZPC, or long title, Zero Population Count: No Flesh Shall Be Spared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsxiqKPBVA

ZPC used the M2 engine to make a dystopian sci-fi shooter where you played as a the messiah slaughtering your way through a KMFDM music video. I've beaten this game and lemmie tell ya, there is just not an appealing level in this entire thing. The art direction is amazing and the gameplay isn't bad, but nearly every level is so crude that it feels like they blew the entire budget on Brute Propaganda and had to outsource the levels to a sixth grader that just learned how to use Forge. See the oval stone tablet at 5:52? -- those items are kept in inventory and consumed whenever you save your game, because apparently Zombie thought M2's level checkpoint system was letting people off too easy.

ZPC was one of the two ported to PC, the other being Damage Incorporated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlA2ULmn2UM

Damage Incorporated used the M2 engine to make a gritty, realistic tactical shooter where you and a squad of soldiers wipe out domestic right-wing threats while quoting metal songs. Seriously, in most of the levels you're fighting the KKK, gun-hoarding fascists and a proto-Tea Party group called The Minutemen while your squadmates scream Sabbath lyrics. It's a fun game to boot, with surprisingly effective squad control, multiple ammo types for many weapons, realistic levels and endlessly quotable squadmates (which you don't hear in that video because he doesn't have the voice pack, the fool)

The audio in the Damage Inc video is off because the more obscure the game, naturally, the shittier the YouTube. With that, I bring you the most obscure of the three, Prime Target

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTrYpmm8uQ

Prime Target used the M2 engine to make a non-linear near future shooter based on every low budget 80's action movie ever. You play the role of Dirk "Motherfucker" America (1) whose girlfriend is being held hostage in the capitol building. You, your Beretta and your exploding shirt (your armor status is no bullshit displayed by how much of your shirt has exploded off) launch a one man assault against gangs of convicts, ninjas, crazy motherfuckers with ice guns and, the most sinister enemy of all, white guys in suits. Of the three this is the only one I've never beaten, and that's only because the Mac I was playing it on poo poo the bed when I was halfway through. What I did play I remember being campy, colorful and incredibly entertaining.

(1): I assume that's his name, I mean, look at the title screen:

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Doombat you are destroying me by reminding me that I never finished the "other" Marathon engine games or Sensory Overload (or Pathways into Darkness, for that matter). I had all of those drat things, except ZPC (only played the demo and was turned off. A few years ago I tried playing it emulated and just got sick of wandering). Prime Target is my favorite, for its nonlinear levels loaded with secrets, 80s arcade-game like bestiary (fire and ice mercenaries! colorful ninjas! giant men who take more bullets because of muscles! skinheads in chains and tattered tees!), and little things like being able to collect documents to SOLVE THE MYSTERY and bullet holes and blood splats and swinging doors and poo poo. poo poo.

I really wonder why the old Mac-exclusive/made-for-Mac-initially FPSes were so weird and advanced for the time. Also for that matter, I just realized between Prime Target and Damage Inc there were TWO Marathon engine games about patriotic as gently caress manly men fighting for freedom from the right-wing/corporate menace.

Also also why isn't there a reboot of Damage Inc where I can shoot the KKK with dual shotguns (somehow loaded with acid ammo) in blazing 3D? Does the videogame industry hate America? Did our raw love of the Red, White, and Blue leak away to Japan during the 00's, spurring the creation of Metal Wolf Chaos, Vanquish, and Binary Domain?

edit:
The covers for Prime and Damage are 100% accurate. They are wise thinkers in a sea of liars.

(Damage Inc has a bunch of alt. cover art for some reason and it's hard to find good pictures of any of them. PS The site for it is still online. xxxxoooo)

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 5, 2013

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Dominic White posted:

But nothing touched at all gameplay-wise

I really enjoy Doom Expanded in general but is that true? Unless they took them out since the last version I played, the revenant double rockets are mega-annoying. I feel like some other stuff had damage tweaks as well but I could be imagining things.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

NovaPolice posted:

(fire and ice mercenaries! colorful ninjas! giant men who take more bullets because of muscles! skinheads in chains and tattered tees!)
Haha, how could I forget about the giant guys? I loved that they were, like, eight feet tall, easily weighed three hundred pounds, slung a full-sized Uzi like a pistol and wore bright neon pinstripe suits that would've made a 90's Batman movie blush at the campiness. They're easy to overlook when there's fuckin' Godfrey Ho ninjas and flamethrower Bruce Willises popping out from every corner. The ninjas show up in the first level and the skinhead convicts show up in the second, so you can tell they didn't have a gently caress to give right from the start.

And the acid shotgun shells in Damage Inc didn't confuse me as much as the acid 9mm Beretta rounds, or how in the entire gently caress the player was pumping those shotguns one-handed -- I've actually tried it (because of that game, no less) and it doesn't work for poo poo :(

Edit: I still have the top Damage Inc box floating around here somewhere. The muzzle flare is the only thing embossed, which told junior high me at Circuit City "Oh, so this game is just shooting." Quickest ten bucks I ever spent. Plus the Prime Target box tells you everything you need to know: if you put this CD in your computer, things will never stop being awesome.

Edit2: the Damage Inc site has not changed since I last checked it over a decade ago gently caress yeah

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 5, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

I've mentioned all of these individually before and some day plan on doing a proper effortpost on the subject, but my favorite ones to bust out are what you might call the other Marathon trilogy. There were three games that licensed the Marathon 2 engine in the mid-90's and, while not strictly Mac-exclusive (two of them had PC ports), they were developed for the Mac first and foremost. What I love about them is that they took the same hokey, buggy FPS engine and made three distinctly different games.

The most famous one would probably be ZPC, or long title, Zero Population Count: No Flesh Shall Be Spared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CsxiqKPBVA

ZPC used the M2 engine to make a dystopian sci-fi shooter where you played as a the messiah slaughtering your way through a KMFDM music video. I've beaten this game and lemmie tell ya, there is just not an appealing level in this entire thing. The art direction is amazing and the gameplay isn't bad, but nearly every level is so crude that it feels like they blew the entire budget on Brute Propaganda and had to outsource the levels to a sixth grader that just learned how to use Forge. See the oval stone tablet at 5:52? -- those items are kept in inventory and consumed whenever you save your game, because apparently Zombie thought M2's level checkpoint system was letting people off too easy.

ZPC was a game I always thought should get a well polished Doom wad, like the great ROTT one Return of the Triad, just take the art and weapons and design a good game with it.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

NovaPolice posted:

(Damage Inc has a bunch of alt. cover art for some reason and it's hard to find good pictures of any of them. PS The site for it is still online. xxxxoooo)

Well, if you got your hands on so many rejected Sodom album covers, it would be a shame not to use them all.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ExMortis posted:

I really enjoy Doom Expanded in general but is that true? Unless they took them out since the last version I played, the revenant double rockets are mega-annoying. I feel like some other stuff had damage tweaks as well but I could be imagining things.

No damage tweaks on the guns as far as I'm aware - whatever subtle changes the SSG used to have have been made optional now as of this final version, too. As for the double-rockets, I could be wrong, but I think they just fire two at once, but each one does half the damage it used to be. The two projectiles tend to naturally coalesce into one if they're the homing type, anyway, which is visually helpful.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 5, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Haha oh my god

EDIT: Holy poo poo they're all amazing, sorry for the reddit link: http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/1bnezw/jedi_outcastjedi_academy_source_code_released/

We can't figure out who wrote these hahah

Oh my god this is amazing :allears:

Them releasing the source is really awesome, and I was thinking about poking around. But if they allowed comments like this, I'm going to have to take a look!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Ultimately, I don't think any one can make a proper sequel to old style games like Doom and Quake. The way that the community has worked to constantly produce source ports that'll run on modern computers has in a way spoiled us for it.

We will just continue to adapt the games themselves no matter how long it takes. The only thing iD could really offer is something like having the original art team break out the models and such, and redo the drawings for ones that were never clay models, once again to make real higher resolution textures and sprites, or maybe even 3D models in game that behave "correctly".

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Is there a problem with the Reelism download at kin's website? I've tried all mirrors, different computers and even two modems, but the file is always corrupt regardless if its the package itself or the zip file.

Any ideas?

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Mitt Romney takes back Washington by force.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

erotic dad posted:

Mitt Romney takes back Washington by force.

From Obama's flouescent ninja army, no less.

The only way Prime Target's box could've been more appealing to teenage boys is if the tagline was changed from "Action-Packed 3D Mystery" to "Gun-Pizza Vagina Explosion"

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Prime Target and Damage Inc. were developed and prublished by WizardWorks, which was GT Interactive's budget software company.

MacSoft was their Macintosh software division and was for a long time the only source of FPSes for the Mac. MacSoft published the MacPorts of Quake, Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Rainbow Six, and others.

Fun fact, the music for Prime Target was done by my ex-boss Bill Holmberg and Al Schilling, the head of MacSoft. They also did all the voices.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 6, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DoombatINC posted:

From Obama's flouescent ninja army, no less.

The only way Prime Target's box could've been more appealing to teenage boys is if the tagline was changed from "Action-Packed 3D Mystery" to "Gun-Pizza Vagina Explosion"

There's a pretty distinct lack of tits. :colbert:

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

DoombatINC posted:

More awesome Mac stuff
Oh yeah, these guys! I'd heard of ZPC and Damage Incorporated a long time ago... I think they were on Home of the Underdogs at some point? Prime Target is one I was only sort of aware of because of an abandoned Doom mod that IIRC took some enemy sprites from it. Definitely gonna have to try and check it out because hell yes it sounds incredible. I, too, want to be Dirk Hardpecs and save America from a corporate takeover!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Fun fact, the music for Prime Target was done by my ex-boss Bill Holmberg and Al Schilling, the head of MacSoft. They also did all the voices.

Your ex-boss and his old associate are permanently lodged in my brain talking about how HE JUST TOOK OUT A DOZEN OF MY GUYS because it's the first radio signal in the game and I played through the demo a hundred times before eventually buying it.

Also, that post made me realize that "MacSoft" still auto-translates in my head into "BuyThis"

Edit: Now I'm almost tempted to see if I can bring my iMac back to life just to see if the install files for Prime Target are still on it.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 6, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

DoombatINC posted:

Now I'm almost tempted to see if I can bring my iMac back to life just to see if the install files for Prime Target are still on it.

My G4 Tower still has it installed...:smug:

Al is the first voice, Bill is the second...

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 6, 2013

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I seriously want to hunt down a copy of Prime Target and play it now. We no longer have our old Mac, though. Can I install Basilisk II and run it with that, or should I borrow my Dad's Macbook and try and run it on there?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mill Village posted:

I seriously want to hunt down a copy of Prime Target and play it now. We no longer have our old Mac, though. Can I install Basilisk II and run it with that, or should I borrow my Dad's Macbook and try and run it on there?

Neither, you should be running http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Use Sheepshaver not Basilisk

edit: drat! Beaten...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most of the games mentioned in this thread that ever ran on a Mac at all and haven't been ported won't run on a modern Macintosh; you need an emulator even there. OS X isn't backwards compatible to 10+ years the way Windows is; the Classic environment and support for running PPC apps on Intel hardware were removed several versions ago. So unless your dad's Macbook is a good 4 or 5 years old, just download Sheepsaver.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Prime Target on SheepShaver trip report: There's emulation lag and the mouse support is broken but lord knows I'm still going to piss away hours toying with this. Already found the rocket launcher secret in level one, already died trying to use it in a six foot by six foot office.

Lunicus on SheepShaver trip report: This game runs almost flawlessly in emulation, possibly better than it did on the Macs I originally played it on, which is a shame because now I'm actually playing it. I don't want to say it sucks but it certainly inhales deeply.

Edit: I was knee-high during the Wolfenstein era and, when I first saw some of the early FPSes, I thought they had pre-rendered the levels from several angles (like Myst) and your movement caused you to cycle through different background slides while enemies floated over the whole thing. That's literally how Lunicus works. The game is basically 200mb of cutscenes and pre-rendered backgrounds.

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 6, 2013

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
For the sake of it, I don't suppose you can convince Prime Target to cooperate with Aleph One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there any way to play a different hero in each level of a WAD played with Samsara?