Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I'm pretty sure this was in this week's episode.

I have little doubt that Johnathan has discovered his own ignorance several times. It's why I can't really get mad at him when he says something stupid or offensive, because I know he'll just go back to it in 3 months and call himself out for being an rear end in a top hat.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Edit: You know what, I don't think I can really explain it. Keep listening, I'm interested to see if you can see what I mean after really getting into it.

This is the only real answer. There's just a certain sense you get about people after listening to a year of podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Production
Jun 11, 2001
You have to start noticing that they aren't usually talking about whether or not a situation could turn out well in theory, but that they pretty quickly go to the "realistic" scenarios where every societal advancement might as well be a cover for Scientologists and/or Floridians to lure you into some kind of perverted grift, because that's the story of UYD's America so far.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Was he telling the truth when he said that there was a weed named after him(Seth's Sexy Sativa)?

That's definitely true. I don't understand how people don't get what's true or not on UYD.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Seth's voice generally changes tone slightly when he's being facetious. It's kind of subtle, but he also changes phrasing and asks pseudo-rhetorical questions when he's lying - it kind of sounds like his old 'is it pedo-phile, or is it peeedo-phile' from the TCAP days.

But, he doesn't do this every time and even then he's a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in an anxious, ex-alcoholic genius.

Jah is cool too, and I really appreciate that he acknowledges being wrong and not always super-smart in some situations. I don't think he's dumb [at all] and doesn't really credit himself with more intelligence than he possesses.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

soru posted:

That's definitely true. I don't understand how people don't get what's true or not on UYD.

That's one of the few things I've been unsure of. I thought it was probably true because it wasn't particularly funny, just crazy.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
hey, so I just randomly found something out a couple weeks ago. This may be loving dumb of me, but I just realized that every episode splash screen has a different awesome design. Is this just if you listen from a podcast app that downloads from the feed as opposed to itunes?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Bumbledorf

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Beeez posted:

It starts off making fun of some 80s magazine that talks about goofy predictions for the future which then jumps to him saying in thirty years nothing will change which then leads to him declaring aliens don't exist and superhero movies aren't good and Battle Star Gallactica isn't good and then he says other planets don't exist and science is meaningless. Again, this didn't really seem like a joke, it seemed more like the humor was in mocking scientists and nerds and idiots who thought we'd have flying cars by the mid 90s.

So he struck a nerve by making fun of super hero movies and battle star galactica and other nerd poo poo? I dont think that makes him "incredibly ignorant", but for what its worth in that case he wasnt doing a character or anything, just exaggerating his actual opinion a bit for laughs. he knows other planets exist he is just making fun of people who obsess over space movies and the idea of meeting aliens and other stupid futurist poo poo. If that is ignorant then yeah he is

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares

niethan posted:

Bumbledorf

Booblebots and noogatrons

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I don't know anyone like Seth or Jonathan in my life, but having spent so much time listening to them, I feel like I have a lot more room for understanding the insane asylum that is our country. That and also now I'm a vegan.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

dvorak posted:

I don't know anyone like Seth or Jonathan in my life, but having spent so much time listening to them, I feel like I have a lot more room for understanding the insane asylum that is our country. That and also now I'm a vegan.

Well, a Vegan who makes Tuesday exceptions.

or was it wednesday exceptions I don't follow the podcast closely enough to just know offhand

E:

Al! posted:

I guess I'm ignorant for thinking superhero movies and scifi TV shows are dumb as hell and bad too. It's good to be in good company on this one.

Oh c'mon now, let's not get all :smuggo: about this. Johnathan and Seth are awesome, but they definitely are ignorant on quite a few occasions throughout the series. They're apologetic and self aware about it most of the time, so it's usually no problem, but it happens. And that rant about space and the planets could definitely be taken the wrong way.

And Star Trek The Next Generation is loving rad and awesome :colbert:

Dr. Witherbone fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 6, 2013

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I guess I'm ignorant for thinking superhero movies and scifi TV shows are dumb as hell and bad too. It's good to be in good company on this one.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

I love all that kind of stuff, but Seth's satirical take on that whole genre of entertainment seems kind of accurate. I love some Batman, but his breakdown of Batman "using a scary voice and getting them" is something that I can't forget whenever I think of DC now.

I'm going to talk in this voice, and get the bad guys. I'm going to get them. I'm going to get them and them put them in jail, but then they'll break out so I can get them again.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Oh christ I just remembered the story about the beautiful crazy girl who he interacted with at that restaurant while maintaining his vow of silence. Oh god he's the best.

I think this is still my favourite UYD story. Definitely the moment in ep15 where I realised I was in love with this show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb3VnwjPuIc

Beeez
May 28, 2012

manyak posted:

So he struck a nerve by making fun of super hero movies and battle star galactica and other nerd poo poo? I dont think that makes him "incredibly ignorant", but for what its worth in that case he wasnt doing a character or anything, just exaggerating his actual opinion a bit for laughs. he knows other planets exist he is just making fun of people who obsess over space movies and the idea of meeting aliens and other stupid futurist poo poo. If that is ignorant then yeah he is

Al! posted:

Um, no, there's a difference between not caring for "nerd poo poo" and equating "Bumbledorf" and X-men fans with actual scientists and acting like all science is poo poo in the first place. Do you not understand the difference here? I don't even like Battle Star Gallactica or Star Trek, I just thought that rant in general was idiotic if it was serious. But yes, hone in on the one point that I mentioned in passing and get all smug about it, how dare I say Seth the Great and Mighty was wrong about something. Saying stupid things in a mocking or smug way doesn't make it any less stupid.

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Beeez posted:

Um, no, there's a difference between not caring for "nerd poo poo" and equating "Bumbledorf" and X-men fans with actual scientists and acting like all science is poo poo in the first place. Do you not understand the difference here? I don't even like Battle Star Gallactica or Star Trek, I just thought that rant in general was idiotic if it was serious. But yes, hone in on the one point that I mentioned in passing and get all smug about it, how dare I say Seth the Great and Mighty was wrong about something. Saying stupid things in a mocking or smug way doesn't make it any less stupid.

I don't think UYD is really something you would enjoy. Just listen to something else.

The Real Quaid fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 6, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Well, I've been enjoying it so far, I'm just trying to figure out if Seth's supposed to be astute or just funny. If it's the former, maybe you're right.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Beeez posted:

Saying stupid things in a mocking or smug way doesn't make it any less stupid.

I think you should stay away from comedy podcasts until you understand the concept of a "joke".

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Beeez posted:

Well, I've been enjoying it so far, I'm just trying to figure out if Seth's supposed to be astute or just funny. If it's the former, maybe you're right.

You might have a touch of the autism.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Again, look at Adam Carolla's podcast. It may be a comedy podcast, but his rants are usually quite genuine. And don't worry, I don't have the autism.

SaxMaverick
Jun 9, 2005

The stuff of nightmares
Hey thread, are you cool?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

well why not posted:

Seth's voice generally changes tone slightly when he's being facetious. It's kind of subtle, but he also changes phrasing and asks pseudo-rhetorical questions when he's lying - it kind of sounds like his old 'is it pedo-phile, or is it peeedo-phile' from the TCAP days.

Ever since listening to this podcast I started saying "peedophile". Not sure why.

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Well, a Vegan who makes Tuesday exceptions.

or was it wednesday exceptions I don't follow the podcast closely enough to just know offhand

It's a Thursday exception, I always give myself one!

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Beeez posted:

Again, look at Adam Carolla's podcast. It may be a comedy podcast, but his rants are usually quite genuine. And don't worry, I don't have the autism.

The main thread running through UYD is sort of the decay of american culture and how absurd modern america is, thats why theyre always talking about lovely pop science articles and new goofy technology and stuff like that and making fun of it. To distill it down you can watch seths TV corner on their website and see that the idea is sort of a panic attack-inducing montage of how surreal american pop culture is, viewed from the point of view of a paranoid neurotic sober 30-something guy who sees the worst of it living in hollywood. You dont necessarily have to be right there with them to find it funny, lots of people think theyre stupid and listen to it just as two funny guys talking about current events. But if you're genuinely offended over those sort of luddite views, even being expressed in a self-aware, silly way, then UYD might rub you the wrong way. And thats exactly as many words as I am capable of typing about this

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Well, I appreciate your willingness to explain your take. It doesn't really rub me that raw, if it seems that way it's simply that I appear to be trying and failing to convey my meaning. I'll keep listening.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Did they talk about James Bond in the most recent episode (366)? I listen to so many episodes including the new ones that they mush together in my head. Either way, I was just listening to Episode 141 and they talk about James Bond and Quantum of Solace and his catch phrases.

JethroMcB posted:

"James Bond is a secret agent who gets mad laid. His catchphrases are 'I'll be back,' and 'Fuggedaboutit!'"

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
With so many new posts I hoped the WTF episode had finally dropped.

Manyak summed it up better than I could have, but I wanted to add that along with the general theme of how frightening modern America is the shows heart is the friendship between Jonathan & Seth.

In the W Weekly podcast interview they did in 2006 Jonathan said the idea for the show came from regular phone calls he would have with Seth where Seth would rant about all the things that had happened to him in the week and his observations on culture, which led to the cue card format they run with now. Like so many other podcasts it takes a while to get to know the hosts and their relationships to eachother. I think with UYD this is especially important since there are no guests or special appearances (save for Marcia, have a glass of wine). It took me way too many episodes to realize Seth's dad was still alive or to actually believe he has a younger step-brother, which I'm fairly sure is true? I could be wrong on that.

Seth is a funny and secretive guy, I've listened to these two people talk for over 500 hours with re-listens which is pretty strange and kind of sad considering ill never meet them, entire television series' don't run that long. I'm a voyeur to an ongoing 7 year conversation that I'll never be a part of but I listen every week cause both Jonathan and Seth's quirks and character flaws are endearing now instead of frustrating.
So I feel I know their friendship well and getting to know these two dopes through the podcast is part of the fun of it. Try not to let Seth's opinions annoy you cause they're largely fictional and mostly (always) for humor. he's one of the funniest people on the planet, it's a shame he has performance issues in front of live audiences, I hope he gets better as they get more live shows.

Edit: Marcia

kidsam fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 7, 2013

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.

Beeez posted:

how dare I say Seth the Great and Mighty was wrong about something.

Yeah, listen to some more shows. You'll either decide they're terrible and give up on UYD, or you'll come around to where the rest of us are, and you'll poo poo on people for talking smack about Seth. Feel free to poo poo on J-dog all you want to.

On the other hand, if you like Adam Carolla, there's a major cognitive dissonance with loving UYD as well.

kidsam posted:

I think with UYD this is especially important since there are no guests or special appearances (save for Martha, have a glass of wine).

Marsha.

kidsam posted:

It took me way too many episodes to realize Seth's dad was still alive or to actually believe he has a younger step-brother, which I'm fairly sure is true? I could be wrong on that.

Yeah I'm on board with believing that half-brother/step-brother Max is a real person.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

nub posted:

Yeah I'm on board with believing that half-brother/step-brother Max is a real person.

I'm pretty sure he is real. Didn't Seth's mom even talk about him? She funnily cut through a lot of the BS that Seth made up about his childhood, too.

Marcia seemed to have a lot of fun disassembling Seth's elaborate fiction. "You still tell people you were a latchkey kid?"

dvorak fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 7, 2013

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
I'm positive Max is real. Seth doesn't talk about him like he talks about Jeff or his sexy tween daughters and bitch ex-wife in Phoenix.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

kidsam posted:

With so many new posts I hoped the WTF episode had finally dropped.

Manyak summed it up better than I could have, but I wanted to add that along with the general theme of how frightening modern America is the shows heart is the friendship between Jonathan & Seth.

In the W Weekly podcast interview they did in 2006 Jonathan said the idea for the show came from regular phone calls he would have with Seth where Seth would rant about all the things that had happened to him in the week and his observations on culture, which led to the cue card format they run with now. Like so many other podcasts it takes a while to get to know the hosts and their relationships to eachother. I think with UYD this is especially important since there are no guests or special appearances (save for Martha, have a glass of wine). It took me way too many episodes to realize Seth's dad was still alive or to actually believe he has a younger step-brother, which I'm fairly sure is true? I could be wrong on that.

Seth is a funny and secretive guy, I've listened to these two people talk for over 500 hours with re-listens which is pretty strange and kind of sad considering ill never meet them, entire television series' don't run that long. I'm a voyeur to an ongoing 7 year conversation that I'll never be a part of but I listen every week cause both Jonathan and Seth's quirks and character flaws are endearing now instead of frustrating.
So I feel I know their friendship well and getting to know these two dopes through the podcast is part of the fun of it. Try not to let Seth's opinions annoy you cause they're largely fictional and for mostly (always) for humor. he's one of the funniest people on the planet, it's a shame he has performance issues in front of live audiences, I hope he gets better as they get more live shows.

Interesting. Yeah, I didn't mean to sound like I was making GBS threads on Seth(although I know it did sound that way) I was more questioning how much of opinions are meant to be something we agree with and how much of it's just satirical.

nub posted:

Yeah, listen to some more shows. You'll either decide they're terrible and give up on UYD, or you'll come around to where the rest of us are, and you'll poo poo on people for talking smack about Seth. Feel free to poo poo on J-dog all you want to.

On the other hand, if you like Adam Carolla, there's a major cognitive dissonance with loving UYD as well.

I don't actually listen to Adam Carolla anymore, his stuff got me into podcasts back when I was like 17 or so but there's way too much stuff he puts out every week and he kinda seems to have lost it at this point. The fact that I'm familiar with him is partly why I asked this question, actually. Having seen the people who agree 100% with everything Adam says or everything Karl Pilkington says, I know how irritating it can be when the rants I took as humorous are treated as deadly serious by the fanbase at large. I didn't mean to provoke poo poo on-ittude.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

nub posted:

Marsha.

Marcia.

At least that's how we spell it here in Haverill, Massachusetts.

kidsam
Aug 12, 2007

YES
It's spelled Marcia in the episode description, I'm an idiot for getting that wrong I listened to two of her episodes last night :downs:

Wiki Episode 206 posted:

Marcia smoked a joint and almost burned the house down when Seth was still in the crib. They were in a back room watching a Boston Bruins game smoking pot and someone was leaving to go home, and there was a little fire in the kitchen started from the hot wax from a candle dripping onto a plastic floral arrangement sitting in the china dish and it caught on fire. It melted into the kitchen table. They grabbed a towel from the bathroom and smothered it out. That was the last time Marcia smoked pot.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

kidsam posted:

Pot story

Wow, that is...that is just the best.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

dvorak posted:

I'm pretty sure he is real. Didn't Seth's mom even talk about him? She funnily cut through a lot of the BS that Seth made up about his childhood, too.

Marcia seemed to have a lot of fun disassembling Seth's elaborate fiction. "You still tell people you were a latchkey kid?"

It's really charming/concerning how she seems so used to how he makes things up as it goes along, like it's no big deal. Hopefully he isn't actually crazy with an enabling mother and she's just used to the schtick. She's a cool lady, with an amazing accent.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

well why not posted:

It's really charming/concerning how she seems so used to how he makes things up as it goes along, like it's no big deal. Hopefully he isn't actually crazy with an enabling mother and she's just used to the schtick. She's a cool lady, with an amazing accent.

The accent is fake, you know they're actually from Dearborn, Michigan, right?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I listened to 206 recently and it was exceptionally charming and Seth even manages to make fun of Jonathan's lovely driving + temper

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hahaha Holy poo poo. Episode 47, Jonathan talks about the iPhone coming out. My god.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

niethan posted:

Also the funniest part is how they later revealed she isn't actually his mom but rather a coworker from the dispensary.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Hahaha Holy poo poo. Episode 47, Jonathan talks about the iPhone coming out. My god.

And then his dad buys him one and he never uses it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

niethan posted:

a starwar betamax posted:

Also the funniest part is how they later revealed she isn't actually his mom but rather a coworker from the dispensary.

you guys gotta give episode numbers