Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cataphract posted:

Can marker lights actually help snap shots? My understanding of ability modifiers is that multipliers are applied first, then additions/subtractions, then absolute modifiers. So a tau snap shooting at a target with 2 lights would get +2BS but then his BS would go to 1.

You're correct. You can use as many loving markerlights as you want, it reverts to the absolute modifier at the end so you'll still be BS1.

Unless there's something specific in the markerlight rules, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Bhsman, do us a favor and post nicely painted busts when you're done.

Manifest posted:

Talisman has always been fun
Dissident opinions detected. Paging Broken Loose to the 40k thread.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Sykic posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows which kits have straight right arms for Marines, just regular old vanilla Marines with no chapter specific stuff on them (such as fur or angel wings)? I can find no shortage of bent right arms and straight left, but that's not going to work for what I'm planning. It doesn't matter what weapon its holding, if any.

The Space Marine Commander kit has a straight right arm with no hand attached so you could try and track one of those down. Failing that you could maybe try something like this: http://www.bitsandkits.co.uk/space-marine-convertors-arm-with-shoulder-pad-p-260.html

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

TheBlobThing posted:

I bought the weapons sets from FW. :20bux::suicide:

I considered that but after realizing just how many guns/flamers/meltas I needed armywide I just sucked it up and resolved myself to having to possibly cut into preciousss preciousss forge world resin in an attempt to make the weaponry fit. The weirdest thing I've done so far was cut off the sergeant's chainsword and replaced it with a gigantic loving ork choppa to represent him having a power axe. It's seriously so retardedly big compared to the man carrying it but the more I look at it the less I give a gently caress and I just think if anyone gives me poo poo for it they hate fun. They're supposed to be 'unwieldy' anyway.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

A dremel is next on my list, this might be the excuse I need to buy one. Dont know how enthusiastic the wife will be after I just spent £200 on my airbrush setup.

It's a little more time consuming but you can make holes for magnets without a dremel. You start by drilling a pilot hole with a hand drill. Then put the tip of a scalpel or craft knife into the hole and rotate the scalpel while applying pressure. It will widen the pilot hole. Keep going until the hole is big and deep enough for your magnet.

It's not as effortless as using a Dremel but the results are comparable.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Ultramega posted:

I considered that but after realizing just how many guns/flamers/meltas I needed armywide I just sucked it up and resolved myself to having to possibly cut into preciousss preciousss forge world resin in an attempt to make the weaponry fit. The weirdest thing I've done so far was cut off the sergeant's chainsword and replaced it with a gigantic loving ork choppa to represent him having a power axe. It's seriously so retardedly big compared to the man carrying it but the more I look at it the less I give a gently caress and I just think if anyone gives me poo poo for it they hate fun. They're supposed to be 'unwieldy' anyway.

Yeah, my 'reasoning' went more like 'if I've already spent so much money on the models, I might as well go all the way'. I'm the worst consumer.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Went in to GW early this morning to pick up a Riptide and Broadside. There was actually a small crowd of goony motherfuckers all waiting to get in and buy Tau. It was a pretty surreal experience. :psyduck:

Also not really sure how to assemble this Riptide. Ion Cannon looks pretty rad I guess? Probably should have taken a look at the codex before I bought this, but £80 for the models then another £30 for the codex was just too much for one purchase.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Any recommendations for a Tyranid kill team? I have a bit of everything in the codex to work with. I'm assuming warriors and gaunts?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Corrode posted:

You're correct. You can use as many loving markerlights as you want, it reverts to the absolute modifier at the end so you'll still be BS1.

Unless there's something specific in the markerlight rules, of course.

I don't have the new codex but people on Dakka Dakka say that it now does raise your BS on snapshots.

Fake Edit: New Tau FAQ is up. Also, according to the FAQ, Tau are part of the Chaos Space Marines Codex.

Two Feet From Bread fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 6, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cataphract posted:

It's a little more time consuming but you can make holes for magnets without a dremel. You start by drilling a pilot hole with a hand drill. Then put the tip of a scalpel or craft knife into the hole and rotate the scalpel while applying pressure. It will widen the pilot hole. Keep going until the hole is big and deep enough for your magnet.

It's not as effortless as using a Dremel but the results are comparable.

I've been doing this with just a hand drill and I've gotten perfect results every time. 0.1mm pilot hole, which isn't always necessary due to the recess on battlesuit arms for the weapon tab, then hand drill a 1.5mm hole for the magnet. Perfect, flush fit. Sometimes the fit is so good that friction is enough to keep the magnet in.

e:

I actually found it far easier to work with a hand drill than an electric dremel.

LordAba posted:

Personally I don't think so. I'll have to see how they changed the SMS, and if some of the other upgrades are worth it. Though railgun + plasma isn't terrible if you are facing monsters/2+ save infantry.

As someone said earlier, Ignores Cover as usual + increased range from 24" to 30".

ijyt fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 6, 2013

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I don't have the new codex but people on Dakka Dakka say that it now does raise your BS on snapshots.

Fake Edit: New Tau FAQ is up. Also, according to the FAQ, Tau are part of the Chaos Space Marines Codex.

I love that there's an Errata up for them on the day of release, while the Daemon codex still doesn't have one. Clearly there must be nothing wrong with it... :suicide:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Cool. So Fireblades can be your Warlord, nice.

I have a question about how Shield Drones work... who benefits from their save? Is it just that the drone has the save so you can try and load as many wounds onto it as possible before it fails a save, or does it somehow confer the save to other members of the unit?

Edit: Also, for the Kill Team fans, what are decent strategies for Imperial Guard in Kill Team? I'm looking at assembling a few teams to play with friends and I have some Guard stuff.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 6, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Presumably either the author of Codex Tau cares more than the guy who wrote Daemons (which may explain why there are only two items that needed errata fixes) or the shock success of this launch put the wind up them.

Or it was a mistake and they'll take it down again within the hour.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Nearly finished writing my Android app for organising and running tournaments. Now all I have to do is figure out how to publish and market it. Might price it at a couple of bucks for my efforts. If this sounds like something the thread might be interested in (because of wargaming tournaments) then I'll post about it again once it's all ready (with mod permission, of course).

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Yeah, it straight up says "Pinpoint can increase the Ballistic Skill of Snaps Shots and Overwatch." For Scour it says "All weapons fired at the target as part of this Shooting attack gain the Ignores Cover special rule."

Only Broadsides can take missile drones, that makes a lot more sense. It would have been incredibly broken otherwise, I was already planning ridiculous stuff last night right before I went to sleep.

vvv: Of course. That is the balancing factor. It's better than nothing.

Phyresis fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 6, 2013

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phyresis posted:

Yeah, it straight up says "Pinpoint can increase the Ballistic Skill of Snaps Shots and Overwatch." For Scour it says "All weapons fired at the target as part of this Shooting attack gain the Ignores Cover special rule."

The only problem with markerlights on overwatch is that the target has to be hit by an overwatching markerlight first, because markerlights only last for one phase.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
New goal: buy all the Markerlights, kill all Flyers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

7thBatallion posted:

Any recommendations for a Tyranid kill team? I have a bit of everything in the codex to work with. I'm assuming warriors and gaunts?

My first recommendation is to get a houseruling for synapse not being necessary in Kill Team. Otherwise you basically have one viable build, and that's just "How many warriors/genestealers/gants do you want in 200pts".

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Phyresis posted:

Only Broadsides can take missile drones, that makes a lot more sense. It would have been incredibly broken otherwise, I was already planning ridiculous stuff last night right before I went to sleep.

vvv: Of course. That is the balancing factor. It's better than nothing.

Yeah I thought I remembered reading this somewhere but I didn't know for sure hence caveating my post.

AgentF I would love to see that app. We were using goePP for ages but at the most recent event we ran it poo poo the bed really badly, so I rebuilt the whole table and results so far only for it to gently caress up again. Doing results with an Excel sheet thrown together in 5 minutes is doable but not a lot of fun.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ineptmule posted:

I have a question about how Shield Drones work... who benefits from their save? Is it just that the drone has the save so you can try and load as many wounds onto it as possible before it fails a save, or does it somehow confer the save to other members of the unit?

Pre-6th you would choose to either allow the drone controller to take the saves or assign them to the drone, the drone itself has the 4++ save. Now it's the closest model, if the drone is closest it'll be the one assigned wounds.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Sweet fancy loving Moses, the pathfinder kit is good, and full of extra stuff.

THE RECON DRONE HAS loving MOVING PARTS. If you don't glue it in, the burst cannon is on a pivot, so you can fold it up when it's sitting on a Devilfish.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Or you can look out sir to deflect the save to the drone, assuming a character was going to get hit.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah Ok, I thought it would be something like that.

So if I want to use it to protect my whole squad I need to try and position it in front.

Edit:

VogeGandire posted:

Sweet fancy loving Moses, the pathfinder kit is good, and full of extra stuff.

THE RECON DRONE HAS loving MOVING PARTS. If you don't glue it in, the burst cannon is on a pivot, so you can fold it up when it's sitting on a Devilfish.

You're doing a Stealth/Pathfinder Kill Team, right? How are you fitting all the cool stuff in to 200pts? I'm finding the Stealth Team takes up so much that there's very little room for Pathfinders.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 6, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've had to drop the stealth suits entirely. There's too much cool stuff in pathfinder teams.

Plus the firepower I'm losing by dropping the stealthsuits can be made up for with rail rifles and the recon drone.

I'm still bringing a load of S5 shooting, and isn't THAT the real meaning of Tau.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 6, 2013

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

7thBatallion posted:

As in <200 points?

Hive Guard and Gene Stealers has always been my go to system.

40 termagants has it's own charm.

Or 25 Gargoyles with adrenal glands and poison.

But yeah, if you can't avoid synapse, a bunch of massively pimped out warriors can gently caress poo poo up by playing conservatively and abusing lash whips.

Ymargl stealers also an option, especially with their ability to come on from terrain, single unit squads could really let you screw people over.

this troper
Apr 4, 2011

:o

Cataphract posted:

Can marker lights actually help snap shots? My understanding of ability modifiers is that multipliers are applied first, then additions/subtractions, then absolute modifiers. So a tau snap shooting at a target with 2 lights would get +2BS but then his BS would go to 1.

In the markerlight section of the codex it specifically mentions that Markerlight tokens can be spent to improve snap shots/overwatch.

Of course markerlight tokens are removed at the end of each phase so it makes you wonder how you'll actually manage to get tokens on a charging unit during the assault phase but hey, it's at least possible.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

There. One kill team out of a single box of pathfinders.

10 pathfinders.
-Shas'ui w/ 2 gun drones & Blacksun filter
-Recon Drone
-3 rail rifles

194 pts.

Although I might swap out the gun drones with missile drones, for a little more punch, since I'll have tonnes of markerlights anyway.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

VogeGandire posted:

Although I might swap out the gun drones with missile drones, for a little more punch, since I'll have tonnes of markerlights anyway.

Only Broadsides can get them, it just got FAQed.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

Only Broadsides can get them, it just got FAQed.

Dammit. Ah well, 2 gun drones it is.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
In regards to how posable the Riptide is, a GW manager posted this WIP to Facebook:

Gonna look really nice all painted up.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

God, I loving love the new rules for the Skyray.

I dislike flyers very much, since my two main armies (DA and Tau, this has been a great year for me!) didn't have any flyers and no anti-air, and now they have mediocre flyers. DA got pretty meh anti-air but Tau are loving awesome now.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

this troper posted:

In the markerlight section of the codex it specifically mentions that Markerlight tokens can be spent to improve snap shots/overwatch.

Of course markerlight tokens are removed at the end of each phase so it makes you wonder how you'll actually manage to get tokens on a charging unit during the assault phase but hey, it's at least possible.

With enough Support fire you'll manage it.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
So I'm juggling a list around to bring my IG army to 1850 pts. and making plans for expanding my collection. How does this list look? Bear in mind that I've reserved 100 pts. for an Aegis defense line.

code:
+++ Mega IG (1748pts) +++
+++ 1750pt Imperial Guard 5th Ed (2009) Roster (Primary Detachment)) +++

Selections:

Imperial Guard 5th Ed (2009) (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (197pts)

* Company Command Squad (197pts) 
        Astropath (30pts), 4x Plasma Gun (60pts)
        * Chimera (55pts) 
            Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser
        * Company Commander (2pts) 
            Boltgun (2pts), Close Combat Weapon

+ Elites + (65pts)

* Guardsman Marbo (65pts) 

+ Troops + (736pts)

* Infantry Platoon (392pts) 
        * Infantry Squad (75pts) 
            Autocannon (10pts), Flamer (5pts)
            * Sergeant (10pts) 
                Laspistol, Power Weapon (10pts)
        * Infantry Squad (75pts) 
            Autocannon (10pts), Flamer (5pts)
            * Sergeant (10pts) 
        * Infantry Squad (125pts) 
            Autocannon (10pts), Flamer (5pts), Vox Caster (5pts)
            * Commissar (45pts) 
                Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon (10pts)
            * Sergeant (10pts) 
        * Infantry Squad (65pts) 
            Flamer (5pts)
            * Sergeant (10pts) 
        * Platoon Command Squad (52pts) 
            3x Flamer (15pts), Vox Caster (5pts)
            * Platoon Commander (2pts) 
                Boltgun (2pts), Close Combat Weapon

* Veteran Squad (172pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun (45pts)
        * Chimera (55pts) 
            Heavy Flamer, Multi-laser
        * Veteran Sergeant (2pts) 
            Bolt Pistol (2pts), Close Combat Weapon

* Veteran Squad (172pts) 
        6x Lasgun, 3x Plasma Gun (45pts)
        * Chimera (55pts) 
            Heavy Flamer, Multi-laser
        * Veteran Sergeant (2pts) 
            Bolt Pistol (2pts), Close Combat Weapon

+ Fast Attack + (260pts)

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (130pts) 
        * Vendetta (130pts) 
            2 Twin-linked Lascannons

* Vendetta Gunship Squadron (130pts) 
        * Vendetta (130pts) 
            2 Twin-linked Lascannons

+ Heavy Support + (490pts)

* Leman Russ Squadron (165pts) 
        * Leman Russ Demolisher (165pts) 
            Heavy Bolter

* Leman Russ Squadron (165pts) 
        * Leman Russ Demolisher (165pts) 
            Heavy Bolter

* Manticore Rocket Launcher (160pts) 
        Heavy Flamer

Created with BattleScribe

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 6, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Cataphract posted:

With enough Support fire you'll manage it.

Support fire is my trump card in Kill Team. As long as I keep everything roughly chained together in range, I'll be able to really dent charges.

(e) Ooh, 12 fire warriors, upgrade one to a Shas'ui, two drones and Devilfish comes out to 198, perfect for a Kill Team.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 6, 2013

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

7thBatallion posted:

Lictors, they are scary in kill team. Pop up, kill a dude, get super cover saves and charge the next dude.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaysette posted:

In regards to how posable the Riptide is, a GW manager posted this WIP to Facebook:

Gonna look really nice all painted up.

Bill at Tower Center?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Bill at Tower Center?

Yup. I learned to play 40k at the Springfield store when Bing, Bill, and Taylor worked there. I moved last year right as the new location was opening but I still follow them on Facebook.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I can't believe how popular Tau are. I got to the GW store at the exact time it opens and they were basically sold out of everything, I barely managed to nab a Codex.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

After finishing them all, the Pathfinder kit is one of the best infantry kits GW have put out in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Phyresis posted:

I can't believe how popular Tau are. I got to the GW store at the exact time it opens and they were basically sold out of everything, I barely managed to nab a Codex.

Our LGS owner was told by GW that it was the biggest launch they've had. So there's the answer to the supply/demand thing, I guess.

• Locked thread