Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

horse mans posted:

Is there any way to play a different hero in each level of a WAD played with Samsara?

Picking random as your hero should give you a new hero on every map change.

e: On well done, are the little hands in Blood supposed to just kill you from 200 health even if you're mashing your use key 200 times per minute?

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

e: On well done, are the little hands in Blood supposed to just kill you from 200 health even if you're mashing your use key 200 times per minute?

Yes. Those little fuckers are the worst thing about the game and there are points where it will drop you blindly through a hole in the floor into rooms full of those assholes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Every time I return to Blood I forget how to quickly shake them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQBr65tZHY

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Cephalectomy posted:

Yes. Those little fuckers are the worst thing about the game and there are points where it will drop you blindly through a hole in the floor into rooms full of those assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evt6vFFUCLY

This guy's playing on well done, and at 8:43 in the video he shakes a hand off instantly. Is he a wizard or what in the gently caress?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
All you have to do is jam on the 'use' key and they pop right off. I just always forget if I haven't played in a while.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

All you have to do is jam on the 'use' key and they pop right off. I just always forget if I haven't played in a while.

Well I know what I'm supposed to do, and I did it on the lower difficulty setting in the first 2 episodes. But after turning up the difficulty for the 3rd one, no matter how hard I mash the use key nothing happens and I just die. Also somewhat related, a hellion just killed me in 1 hit. It set me on fire right as it died and I wouldn't stop burning, taking my health from 100 to 0. I think the game might just despise me.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 6, 2013

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Yodzilla posted:

Every time I return to Blood I forget how to quickly shake them off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQBr65tZHY

What a death scream, I should play this game.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Isn't it a known glitch with fast computers ( and so affects DosBox if you're running it unthrottled ) ?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dominic White posted:

No damage tweaks on the guns as far as I'm aware - whatever subtle changes the SSG used to have have been made optional now as of this final version, too. As for the double-rockets, I could be wrong, but I think they just fire two at once, but each one does half the damage it used to be. The two projectiles tend to naturally coalesce into one if they're the homing type, anyway, which is visually helpful.

Yeah I think this is correct. Unfortunately it does increase the visual clutter a bit, as well as making it easier for you to eat damage since they cover more area. I only think it's a real problem because I hate Revenants to death and every map pack in the world crams their maps full of the things.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah I think this is correct. Unfortunately it does increase the visual clutter a bit, as well as making it easier for you to eat damage since they cover more area. I only think it's a real problem because I hate Revenants to death and every map pack in the world crams their maps full of the things.

It's an interesting tradeoff, but I quite like how you can much more easily tell the difference between a rocket (two parallel projectiles) and a homing missile (after a while it forms into a single, denser-looking projectile). When there's only a couple of Revenants, it's easier for me to parse, visually.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Bloodmobile posted:

Is he a wizard or what in the gently caress?

No, i'm just really bad at Blood apparently.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Geight posted:

What a death scream, I should play this game.

Haha it's a little choppy in the video but yeah the vocalizations of Caleb and your enemies are fantastic. It really is a great game.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Bloodmobile posted:

This doesn't seem to work. Does that only apply in deathmatch or something?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

horse mans posted:

I guess so. If you pick random then die and do a pistol start, does that give you a new hero?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I'm a strange gamer. I just completed Bioshock Infinite, regularly play 4xs, and love competitive games (had a mega sperge out on League of Legends last year which got me past gold rank). One of the most consistently enjoyable things I find myself doing year in year out however is playing Doom wads.
I don't really know why, I think it's because, genuinely and even without nostalgia, they are really loving fun. Wads like Alien Vendetta, Plutonia 2 and Scythe which hold to the basic tenants of the game (difficulty progression, themed levels and so on) are my favorite sort - I've yet to grow accustomed to liking slaughter maps and wads too much; firing the BFG 1000 times in a level doesn't quite grab me.

Anyway, just two things:

1) How do I play Doom multiplayer (ie: with a friend co-op) these days, I heard Skulltag is no longer in development?

2) What are people's favorite wads, does anyone have any more recent recommendations? I'm currently going through Epic2 after seeing it being played by the excellent Tatsurdcacao - pretty fun if a bit heavy on the Egyptian theme. Speed of Doom looks great but the later levels look way too slaughter-ish (3000 monsters).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

maev posted:

1) How do I play Doom multiplayer (ie: with a friend co-op) these days, I heard Skulltag is no longer in development?

Skulltag is technically no longer in development. In reality, it just got rebranded as Zandronum after a slight team reshuffle and it's chugging along same as ever.

As for recent good map packs? Community Chest 4 is a great mix of maps by a lot of talented folks, and Back To Saturn X is a very tightly designed techbase kinda deal.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

maev posted:

2) What are people's favorite wads, does anyone have any more recent recommendations? I'm currently going through Epic2 after seeing it being played by the excellent Tatsurdcacao - pretty fun if a bit heavy on the Egyptian theme. Speed of Doom looks great but the later levels look way too slaughter-ish (3000 monsters).

Ultimate Torment and Torture is pretty drat good. I like Scythe2 but it gets brutally hard near the end (I'm not finished with it yet because of this).

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Here's some things from my doom.txt:

Doom 1:
Base Ganymede Complete
The Ultimate Needs More Detail
Phobos Massacre
Redemption
Double Impact
Simply Phobos
Doom The Way Id Did (and Lost Episodes thereof)

Doom 2:
Bloodrust
Memento Mori 2
Perdition's Gate
Requiem
Doom Core
Titan 2 (There's one slaughter map in there though)
Hell Ground

I guess many of those aren't really recent.

There's also the hoard of vanilla doom 2 megawads from the past year or two:
Reverie
Jenesis
Interception (though the final bugfix release is still pending on that one)
Doom 2 Unleashed (Pcorf community project)

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

SavageMessiah posted:

Here's some things from my doom.txt:

Doom 1:
Base Ganymede Complete
The Ultimate Needs More Detail
Phobos Massacre
Redemption
Double Impact
Simply Phobos
Doom The Way Id Did (and Lost Episodes thereof)
These are all solid choices but I'd also like to recommend 2002: A Doom Odyssey. The version I'm linking to is the "10th anniversary" update that came out last year - it kinda retools the maps from the original release.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Back To Saturn X i cannot recommend enough. My enjoyment of that might be skewered due to Brutal Doom and co-oping the entire thing on whatever passed as BTSX's "hard co-op."

:v: Spider Mastermind around the first corner on level 1, gawd drat.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

horse mans posted:

It does, unfortunately, sorry. If you play on Zandronum, it'll be as simple as typing Spectate in the console and selecting Random again.
If you're playing on ZDoom, um. :shrug:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For those looking for good Doom levels/mods/etc to play, here's a few good resources:

Every Cacoward winning/mentioned WAD + a boatload of community-recommended ones. 1994-2011.

Cacowards 2012 (the only one not included in the list above).

A good WAD review site, covering a lot of stuff the Cacowards passed on.

Honestly, between all those, you should have enough to chew on from now until doomsday.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Doom 2 The Way id Did is reaching critical mass.

quote:

Time, gentlemen!

The D2TWiD maplist is (almost) fully compiled, and being as close as we are to completion we think it best to release the list so that those still interested in making maps for the project can cater their creations specifically for the missing slots. Having contributors continue to create "any old map" with the hope that it might make the cut is really rather unfair at this stage, as others such as myself who would be aware of the current roster would be able to bypass uncertainty.

If you're nearing completion on a map that doesn't look like it could work itself into 08, 27 or 29, keep in mind that slots can still be trumped for quality and that, this being Doom 2, it's not unusual for maps to feature in thematic blocks you wouldn't think them fit for. We also have several professional butchers on standby, ready to hack your precious map to bits and stitch them together into an abominable masterpiece.*

BOLD = "Completed," pending inevitable tweaks. Maps that aren't emboldened are penned in for inclusion on the grounds of what's been seen so far. Map06 and 12, for example, are simply missing monsters.

And, the map list.

map01 Unnamed - Rottking (Petersen)
map02 The Compound - Tarnsman (Mcgee)
map03 Water Main - Esselfortium (Mcgee)
map04 The Terminal - Alfonzo (Mcgee)
map05 The Boiler - Pavera (Mcgee)
map06 The Gorge - Esselfortium (Romero)
map07 Unnamed - Tarnsman (Petersen)

map08 ???
map09 The Gambit - Tarnsman (Petersen)
map10 Reservoirs - Tarnsman (Petersen)
map11 The Garrison - Pavera (Romero)

map12 The Shipyard - Esselfortium (Petersen)
map13 The Docks - Zodiac (Green)
map14 Flooded Library - Jimmy (Mcgee)
map15 The Causeway - Tarnsman (Petersen)
map16 Cul-de-sac - Pavera (Petersen)
map17 The Precinct - Tarnsman (Romero)
map18 The Sanctuary - RottKing (Petersen)
map19 Bedlam - Alfonzo (Petersen)
map20 Leap of Faith - Esselfortium (Romero)

map21 Passage to Exile - Megalyth (Petersen)
map22 Borderlands - Tarnsman (Romero)
map23 The Crucible - Tarnsman (Mcgee)
map24 Crushed Spirits - Marcaek (Petersen)
map25 Dead Sea - Esselfortium (Petersen)
map26 Damned Strait! - Tarnsman (Romero)
map27 ???
map28 Abyss - Xaser (Petersen)
map29 ???
map30 Hell on Earth - Alfonzo (Petersen)

map31 Vorticon - Xaser (Petersen)
map32 Well of Wishes - Xaser (Petersen)

EDIT: I just finished Episode 1 of Doom The Way id Did, and it kicks so much nostalgia rear end, even with Brutal Doom riding shotgun.

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 8, 2013

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dominic White posted:

Honestly, between all those, you should have enough to chew on from now until doomsday.

That's the best part about Doom! What other game has nigh-infinite quality single player content?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dominic White posted:

It's an interesting tradeoff, but I quite like how you can much more easily tell the difference between a rocket (two parallel projectiles) and a homing missile (after a while it forms into a single, denser-looking projectile). When there's only a couple of Revenants, it's easier for me to parse, visually.

There was some other visual enhancement mod where the Revenant homing missles had an audible beep to them. That was my favorite way to handle it honestly, but I can see why some people wouldn't like it.

And actually, is it just me or does this WAD not work with Zandronum? I get a random error when trying to use it. I have the same issue with a lot of WADs and Zandronum actually, is it just far behind on scripting support of gzDoom or something?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

For those looking for good Doom levels/mods/etc to play, here's a few good resources:

Every Cacoward winning/mentioned WAD + a boatload of community-recommended ones. 1994-2011.

Cacowards 2012 (the only one not included in the list above).

This contains all of them plus a few more. Also you can sort by columns easily so it's more practical than a forum post.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SavageMessiah posted:

That's the best part about Doom! What other game has nigh-infinite quality single player content?

The fact that there are ~20 years (and growing) worth of WADs, utilities, and ports for the game, that the whole thing can be fit on a thumbdrive, that it doesn't require any sort of installation, and that it is generally gentle on resources, makes Doom one of the few things that I put on every desktop and laptop I own, regardless of purpose. You never know when you might be stuck somewhere with nothing to do besides play Doom. :getin:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

This contains all of them plus a few more. Also you can sort by columns easily so it's more practical than a forum post.

One thing I find kinda amusing is that in both that list and OneManDoom, they credit authors by name wherever possible, but 'mouldy', creator of The Eye always just gets credited as that. Nobody seems to mention that he's incredibly prolific animator Cyriak Harris. He's done bits for TV all over the world - most of it nightmarish. http://www.youtube.com/user/cyriak?feature=watch

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Really? That's neat! Guess that's just not common knowledge.

Not a surprise his beginner maps were so intricately designed.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Dominic White posted:

One thing I find kinda amusing is that in both that list and OneManDoom, they credit authors by name wherever possible, but 'mouldy', creator of The Eye always just gets credited as that. Nobody seems to mention that he's incredibly prolific animator Cyriak Harris. He's done bits for TV all over the world - most of it nightmarish. http://www.youtube.com/user/cyriak?feature=watch

I didn't know mouldy's name was Cyriak Harris, nor who Cyriak Harris is. I'll update my indexes. Thanks for the heads-up!

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dominic White posted:

Are his Doom wads as mind bendingly horrible as his videos?

Edit.
Not horrible as in bad, horrible as in bad, as in ohgodwhywhatisthis.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 9, 2013

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dominic White posted:

Oh my god I have to play this WAD right now. I love Cyriak!

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Hi. Back to Saturn X is really good. It has great music.

That is all.

PS: Play BTSX :ssh:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Still need to extract that music for listening to. Its really rather good.

Someone posted before a possible way to do it, sorry to be a pest, but could you explain it again? :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wasn't that the one that required some fiddling with synthesizers and sound fonts to make the music actually sound decent, though?

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Mak0rz posted:

Wasn't that the one that required some fiddling with synthesizers and sound fonts to make the music actually sound decent, though?

It sounds great as it is and I'll scowl disapprovingly at anyone that says otherwise.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Mak0rz posted:

Nope! The music was all composed and mixed for the default SoundCanvas-based instrument set you get if you leave the settings all completely unchanged. I've tried it with a number of alternative soundfonts and have yet to come across any that don't muck up the sound and mixing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mak0rz posted:

The music for BTSX sounds great by default, but it sounds even better with FluidSynth soundfonts.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

esselfortium posted:

Nope! The music was all composed and mixed for the default SoundCanvas-based instrument set you get if you leave the settings all completely unchanged. I've tried it with a number of alternative soundfonts and have yet to come across any that don't muck up the sound and mixing.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The music for BTSX sounds great by default, but it sounds even better with FluidSynth soundfonts.

I absolutely swear by this one, which I've uploaded for easy public consumption. It has a generally 'videogamey' sound to it, but it does synth-guitars (of which BTSX has a lot) so much better than the default.

Edit 2: Just updated the link above with an updated version that has the very latest Fluidsynth DLL (as far as I'm aware). It's all you need to get better music. Here's a before/after comparison:

BTSX Level 1, default FMod

BTSX Level 1, Fluidsynth + soundfont above. It's a bit quieter, but that's just due to my config - I lowered the volume gain on Fluidsynth to bring it more in line with Tracker and MP3-based music in-game.

A lot of soundfonts end up sounding like MIDI, but just more orchestral. This one has an almost SNES-like edge to it which I really dig.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Hmm.. It's not bad (and I can still make out the instruments, which is always a plus), though the drums are extremely flimsy. I'm also not sure how the electric guitars would work out on some of the other tracks, like map02's for instance. I'd still argue that the default instruments sound better, though this doesn't gently caress with the mixing as badly as some I've heard. Here's what my working version sounded like, for comparison: http://essel.spork-chan.net/music/wips/btsx-entering-c.mp3

I'd really like to eventually put together a set of nicely-produced true audio remixes of some of the BTSX soundtrack tunes, done carefully by hand rather than trying to automate the process by just loading an alternate set of instrument samples, but so far I haven't managed to come up with anything I'm particularly satisfied with the sound of.