Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

hairypanis posted:

Hello bass megathread.

I play for a Greek band and am looking for a new amp to gig with.

At the moment, I'm just going through our PA, and I have to be really quiet or else it just overloads and turns off.

At the moment, I'm looking at either:

promethean P5210 2x10 500w combo or Ashdown Mag 300 and an Ashdown 4x10 cab

I'm going to be putting an Epiphone Thunderbird through whatever I get.

Looking for a really warm, reasonant tone. The bass is the part you should 'feel' in order to dance in time.

I'm just wondering if any (or either) are terrible or something - I'm quite new to all this.

I'd been working on building a performance-worthy bass rig, myself, and went with an Ashdown MAG 600 through an old Carvin 2x15. It sounds great, and I play to a lot of traditional surf so I know the sort of "simulated stand-up bass" sound you might be looking for with Greek folk. Tonewise, the "Deep" switch will be your best friend, along with the EQ tapering off the treble. Just make sure you replace the fuses in the amp ASAP, based on previous advice regarding Chinese-crafted Ashdowns (of which the EVO III is included).

Getting a separate head is a treat because it leaves you open to different options. You can use your own cabinet, if the house has their own cabinet you can use theirs or if they prefer you can use the direct input. I can't speak for the 4x10, but it couldn't hurt having a complete set of "the wings" at your disposal.

As for your Thunderbird, the bassist in my last outfit used one of those. A little on the neck heavy side, but I sort of liked the way it was configured to focus less on the body and more on weighting the neck so its set almost like a standup. Tonewise, it was a pretty aggressive little device with little EQing and no preamp gain, so I'd adjust your tone to cut that treble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

Awesome! Thanks for the advice :)

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
If you want warm & whumpy bass you might want to try a set of flatwound or half-round strings.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ibntumart posted:

Any suggestions for a decent acoustic bass guitar? I want a bass I can take when travelling without worrying about plugging into an amp.

I have a Kramer Ferrington electric-acoustic bass, it's still the best I've heard unplugged or amped. I actually have taken one camping, you're not going to be able to be heard unless your guitarist is willing to finger pick really lightly but it's great for solo jamming.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I just joined a metal band for the first time in years, this means lots and lots and lots of very high tempo sixteenths. My poor fingers just aren't up to the task anymore.

Can anyone suggest some exercises that help build left hand speed?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Geisladisk posted:

I just joined a metal band for the first time in years, this means lots and lots and lots of very high tempo sixteenths. My poor fingers just aren't up to the task anymore.

You gotta go slow before you can go fast. Do you just want right hand or left hand too?
Also I find it helps to pick right over the last few frets, and I really just slam the string down onto the frets and let it bounce back. This gives it a little more bite in the tone and it goes faster too

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

+

+

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I see what you did there.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I definitely endorse Bass Fitness. Its a loving evil book, that will light your forearms on fire.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Geisladisk posted:

Alex Webster. Seriously. Study the man. His extreme metal bass book is fantastic and his playing style is a great thing to emulate if you want to play faster cleanly and easily.

Lawless Laura Lee
Feb 13, 2012

Constipated posted:

I definitely endorse Bass Fitness. Its a loving evil book, that will light your forearms on fire.

I second this. I got this book for Christmas in '11 and it's a great little warm-up/practice book that will indeed make your forearms burn. Highly recommended that you use this book with a metronome.

I wanted to ask you guys if buying a used cabinet/amp set at a place like Guitar Center would be a good idea. There's a local music shop called The Starving Musician that sells used cabinet/amp sets as well, but I'm not sure to go there, to Guitar Center, to look online.. or what. I don't really see the point in buying a brand new everything when a used one will do the job just fine (I am also unemployed and would like to save money). I wanted some opinions though (before I drop serious coinage). What do you guys think?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Lawless Laura Lee posted:

I second this. I got this book for Christmas in '11 and it's a great little warm-up/practice book that will indeed make your forearms burn. Highly recommended that you use this book with a metronome.

I wanted to ask you guys if buying a used cabinet/amp set at a place like Guitar Center would be a good idea. There's a local music shop called The Starving Musician that sells used cabinet/amp sets as well, but I'm not sure to go there, to Guitar Center, to look online.. or what. I don't really see the point in buying a brand new everything when a used one will do the job just fine (I am also unemployed and would like to save money). I wanted some opinions though (before I drop serious coinage). What do you guys think?

Go to as many places as possible in one or two days and try out some different setups. In my experience small stores will hold an item for me if I tell them I fully intend to purchase I just need two weeks to get the money. I've never purchased anything other than my first amp and bass from guitar center. I find that the individually owned stores are so much more customer oriented and much more helpful and honest.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I discovered a small amount of restitution in Guitar Center's awful track record when it came to Used Gear. Basically you can have Used Gear from any store, found online, sent to a store near you, and you can buy it there! But, before you do that, you can insist that you want to test it! Which means you get to inspect all parts and plug it in to make sure it runs and sounds good, and if it doesn't they will handle your return there! I thought that was the best drat thing I had ever seen out of Guitar Center since the Bane acquisition, although most of their used gear was still either overpriced or complete junk and I eventually got impatient and looked elsewhere.

In other news, I've wanted to get myself a coiled instrument cable for a while, after I started playing in a surf rock group. My reasoning was purely aesthetic, but then I found that the impedance of a coiled cable might be beneficial for my tone because it rolls off the highs and mids a little? The cable I ended up ordering was a Fender Acc. Koil Kable, which is supposed to be higher fidelity anyway. I ordered the white 30' one, because it was like ten or twenty bucks cheaper than the black one, does anyone have any experience with it? I'm worried that white vinyl might look a little weird, even if it is going in a Midnight Wine/White Pkgrd bass.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Basically you can have Used Gear from any store, found online, sent to a store near you, and you can buy it there!
What the hell? I called and asked them to do that and they refused - I had to buy it blindly over the phone with a credit card. AND pay for shipping.

That being said I love the guitar I got but drat that pisses me off.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jeff Goldblum posted:

In other news, I've wanted to get myself a coiled instrument cable for a while, after I started playing in a surf rock group. My reasoning was purely aesthetic, but then I found that the impedance of a coiled cable might be beneficial for my tone because it rolls off the highs and mids a little? The cable I ended up ordering was a Fender Acc. Koil Kable, which is supposed to be higher fidelity anyway. I ordered the white 30' one, because it was like ten or twenty bucks cheaper than the black one, does anyone have any experience with it? I'm worried that white vinyl might look a little weird, even if it is going in a Midnight Wine/White Pkgrd bass.

I could be wrong, and call me a skeptic, but I've always thought that the vast majority of the whole "this cable will get you better TOOOOOOONE" thing is just a bunch of marketing bullshit.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Scarf posted:

I could be wrong, and call me a skeptic, but I've always thought that the vast majority of the whole "this cable will get you better TOOOOOOONE" thing is just a bunch of marketing bullshit.

I agree to a point but I have found that that some cables just sound better than others.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Scarf posted:

It's very true, but not in a better way, just different. It usually amounts to rolled off highs, slightly difference tone "size" and such. Very noticeable if you've got a good ear. Googling about capacitance would tell you a bit more. Most of the premium cables are actually the "worst" offenders.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Scarf posted:

There's some infos here:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov09/articles/guitarcables.htm
and here:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpost.php?p=10238024&postcount=5

Short answer is 'it depends', it can make a difference which may be subjectively better or worse, and the longer your cable is the more that difference is going to matter. Obviously there are bullshit cables too

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Cable capacitance can also be negated with a preamp in the guitar that has a low impedance(IIRC) output, so then you can have effectively infinite cable runs. Active preamps give a lot of cool options, and I'm surprised they're not used more

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have that white Fender coiled cable and it sounds exactly the same as my Spectraflex straight one.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Thumposaurus posted:

I have that white Fender coiled cable and it sounds exactly the same as my Spectraflex straight one.

It's not the coils that make the difference in sound, it's the length. Coiled cables are usually longer because they have less usable length (even stretched out, the coils don't totally disappear). The difference in length on yours probably isn't enough to be audible

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I always loved how Monster's "Bass" cables were just cables with super high capacitance which rolled off a bunch of high end, causing you to have to turn up and WOW HUGE LOW END

js86
Jul 22, 2012
So how many of you guys are in bands? I'm craving some new music to listen to and would love to hear what some of you guys can come up with.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm sure a bunch of us are, I'm in two metal bands myself, what genres are you looking for?

js86
Jul 22, 2012
Any would work, but original material is what I'm looking for.

Lawless Laura Lee
Feb 13, 2012
Who here can play and sing at the same time? I would greatly appreciate some tips n' tricks.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Lawless Laura Lee posted:

Who here can play and sing at the same time? I would greatly appreciate some tips n' tricks.

I'm not great at it, but one thing to do is to figure out where the vocal melody hits the "1" and maybe the "3". Then just treat that as the target you want to aim for the vocal and the bass to hit at the same time. Like in "Let It Be," the vocal hits the downbeats where it goes "When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me..." so you know that the bass hits on the bolded parts, the rest is just filling in the gaps. And of course, start slowly and build up speed.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

js86 posted:

The two bands I make noise around Boston in...
Boarcorpse, groove metal, messes around with different beats and times. Much more bass-centric than the other band. Uploaded material is just demos at this point, actual CD to land this year.

Parasitic Extirpation, brutal slam metal. More heavy. Will have new stuff this year too.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Like in "Let It Be," the vocal hits the downbeats where it goes "When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me..." so you know that the bass hits on the bolded parts, the rest is just filling in the gaps.

Almost all of the bolded syllables actually fall on off-beats. But the poster's basic advice is correct. You find out where the notes sit in the measure and combine that with where the bass notes are. There's essentially only two options: they either come simultaneously or alternately.

VVV EDIT: The way I hear it is exactly as notated here http://www.onlinesheetmusic.com/let-it-be-p361927.aspx

cactuscarpet fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 4, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

cactuscarpet posted:

Almost all of the bolded syllables actually fall on off-beats. But the poster's basic advice is correct. You find out where the notes sit in the measure and combine that with where the bass notes are. There's essentially only two options: they either come simultaneously or alternately.

Uhh, not really. Paul comes in on an "and" and "Find" is on the 1. The rest only seem as such because he sings slightly ahead of the rhythm he's playing on the piano, which is only natural because otherwise it'd sound incredibly robotic.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

For some reason I decided to youtube Michael Manring as I haven't listened to him in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSEokzwmfnY

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Michael Manring is like the Kenny G of bass. Would love to see him play live, I've always loved his fretless tone.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

js86 posted:

how about this?

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

basscat.co.uk

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MancXVI posted:

basscat.co.uk

Looks like a little booking agent :allears:

"Great news kid, I got you a show in front of that little sproingy thing out in the den."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I've decided to buy my first cheap bass. I'm getting a Squier VM Jazz Fretless. It's $300 and bleeds Jaco vibes. Has anyone played one? After buying a crazy expensive Bongo and being really let down by it I'm excited to own a really basic passive bass again. The thing seems like pure zen and learning a fretless will be really rewarding.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I have one but I'm a nub so I'm not sure how much of a review I can give it! It has a few issues (I got it used) like buzzy spots on some of the fret lines, and I sometimes feel like I don't get the sustain I should, but that could be me messing with the pickup height. But yeah when I got it I was amazed how much different it sounded compared to my Aria PJ, and the fretlessness is really fun and not actually that hard to get used to. It's not exactly a replacement for a passive fretted instrument, depending on what you play, but it feels pretty versatile

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

baka kaba posted:

Yeah I have one but I'm a nub so I'm not sure how much of a review I can give it! It has a few issues (I got it used) like buzzy spots on some of the fret lines, and I sometimes feel like I don't get the sustain I should, but that could be me messing with the pickup height. But yeah when I got it I was amazed how much different it sounded compared to my Aria PJ, and the fretlessness is really fun and not actually that hard to get used to. It's not exactly a replacement for a passive fretted instrument, depending on what you play, but it feels pretty versatile

Thanks dude! Sounds like its what I expect. A perfect way to get a cheap fretless but nothing incredible, and that's not really a problem. Hopefully drumcityguitarland gets their shipment in because waiting on a new instrument is the worst.

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Wait.

Woah.

WOAH.

Custom colors scheme for $60. I wonder if they discount me for a dozen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

RetardedRobots posted:

Wait.

Woah.

WOAH.

Custom colors scheme for $60. I wonder if they discount me for a dozen...

They'll cut deals on group buys. A guy on another forum I frequent has set them up a few times.