Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ugh, I just checked and I need 167 more iron ore to upgrade my Iron Impact all the way up to Onslaught. Please, please tell me there's a way to get those in bulk that I'm forgetting about right now.

On the plus side, finally hit G-Rank tonight :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Success story! I fought Rathalos for the first time. After going through a couple Mega Potions learning his attacks, I settled in a bit and managed to get breaks on both wings and his horns, AND cut his tail! First cut ever! Then he ran, and I caught him napping, so I plonked down a Shock Trap and captured him :3:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Fungah! posted:

Ugh, I just checked and I need 167 more iron ore to upgrade my Iron Impact all the way up to Onslaught. Please, please tell me there's a way to get those in bulk that I'm forgetting about right now.

Think in your mind of getting Carbolite, Dragonite, Bathycyte, or anything else while mining.

You should always get Iron Ore that way.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

Fungah! posted:

You can forge Anvil Hammer straight up for 50 iron, 15 Eltalite and 10 Steel Uragaan Carapace, don't know how much it saves, but it skips 50 iron going from Iron Striker+ to Iron Impact.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Oh my god I just made the Huracan hammer.

It doesn't matter this early in HR, it's just so loving strong I can smash everything regardless of their element.

I'm working on the upgrade to the rime & blossom longsword, hoping I can fight the glacial agnaktor soon for the parts, and then I'll be loving unstoppable.

Also, I have rathalos armor, should I bother making HR or azure rathalos armor?

EDIT: Elder dragon blood only comes from Alatreon doesn't it?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 6, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
...Are the monsters in Tanzia HR busting out new moves? Purpludroth did this twisting leap, Gobul did something with his mouth, maybe sticking his tongue out? I didn't get a super clear look since I was trying for tail cuts at the time. Seein' some stuff I don't recognize, even in Moga HR.

About halfway through HR3 quests. If I'd have known you get Sodas to extend out your food combinations, I would've done this sooner. On that note, does Unlucky Cat do anything other than starting you with like 10% health and the shortest stamina bar?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

Oh my god I just made the Huracan hammer.

It doesn't matter this early in HR, it's just so loving strong I can smash everything regardless of their element.

I'm working on the upgrade to the rime & blossom longsword, hoping I can fight the glacial agnaktor soon for the parts, and then I'll be loving unstoppable.

Also, I have rathalos armor, should I bother making HR or azure rathalos armor?

EDIT: Elder dragon blood only comes from Alatreon doesn't it?

The main difference between Rath and HR Rath armor is twice the defense. HR can also be easily gemmed for AttUp(L) and FireAttack. Azure Rath armor has CritEye+2 instead of attack up and Razor Sharp instead of Speed Sharpening (you sharpen slower but less often, saves on whetstones) and it has Earplugs and enough gem slots to gem HG Earplugs.

Jhen drops ElderDragonBlood, and I swear Ceadus does too (I remember he did in Tri), but the guides I see don't show it. They should drop from every elder dragon.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

loving can not get these loving goldfish, holy gently caress they are on the hook for like a millisecond and then just gently caress off.
gently caress you goldfish.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

organburner posted:

loving can not get these loving goldfish, holy gently caress they are on the hook for like a millisecond and then just gently caress off.
gently caress you goldfish.

Wait for them to actually pull the bobber under.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Kiggles posted:

Wait for them to actually pull the bobber under.

That's what I've been doing but it's there for such a short time that it seems impossible to get one.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

organburner posted:

That's what I've been doing but it's there for such a short time that it seems impossible to get one.

I think you are doing it wrong? The timing is super forgiving, you just need to wait for the bobber to actually go under.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

organburner posted:

Just use a mega fishing fly + snakebee larva to make goldenfish bait. I found catching them with it to be trivial, but that's the only time I've ever fished so for all I know it makes no difference.

Does anyone actually like fishing in these games? Like, would you be said if they removed it?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The Moon Monster posted:

Just use a mega fishing fly + snakebee larva to make goldenfish bait. I found catching them with it to be trivial, but that's the only time I've ever fished so for all I know it makes no difference.

Does anyone actually like fishing in these games? Like, would you be said if they removed it?

Fishing is super boring.

Zero Odds
Feb 16, 2008

NO!! NO!! NO!!
Yo, gently caress fishing. The fishing fleet is full of saints. I picture those NPCs all playing through the tedious fishing minigame, and I feel for them.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Get the outdoorsman skill and goldfish bait for easy fishing

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

So I've settled on a Great Sword and I kinda like it. The attacks are huge and hit a wide range of things around me, I can block with it, and the cutting damage, from what I've read in this thread, appears to be a huge bonus. Is there any particular upgrade path I should, or shouldn't take, while upgrading this dude? I have mine up to a Buster Sword at the moment. Also, should I hold off on using my Armor Spheres until later on when I have actually good armor? I'm still in the early game, only just got to level 2 * quests so I'm figuring it all out. Is there anything I should focus on farming now while it's easier? Also, the little leech enemies are a pain in the butt with a great sword.

Also, is IRC the only way we organize games? I'd like to do some multiplayer soon but gently caress pubbies.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

...Are the monsters in Tanzia HR busting out new moves? Purpludroth did this twisting leap, Gobul did something with his mouth, maybe sticking his tongue out? I didn't get a super clear look since I was trying for tail cuts at the time. Seein' some stuff I don't recognize, even in Moga HR.

About halfway through HR3 quests. If I'd have known you get Sodas to extend out your food combinations, I would've done this sooner. On that note, does Unlucky Cat do anything other than starting you with like 10% health and the shortest stamina bar?

Yep! This is something that's a little more fun: The monsters in HR and G rank get more moves (so expect more in g rank) that thematically fit. There's no "gently caress you I'm G rank" moves, thankfully, but it does add some new spice to things.

A great example: In low rank (MHFU), Diablos would only burrow to one person and then do his jump out. In I think G rank, he would start pinging back and forth between 1 and 5 times between people before jumping out. Means if you saw the sand moving away in low rank you could use an item, not in G rank (you have to wait for him to pop out).

High rank rathian seems to have a new sweeping tail swipe (With a slightly different tell) that hits a small cone in front of her in high rank.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Once you find a good set of armor; go ahead and drop armor spheres on it -- It'll cost you a good chunk of change, though, so hold off until you've settled on one you like. Basically until you get red armor spheres, you're pretty much in the green to spend them as you see fit, since they're plentiful, but like I said, money will be your bigger factor.

Upgrade your Buster Sword into the Ravager Blade; it's really good for it's tier and will carry you through until you get better. Plus the materials are really easy to get.

Also surpisingly pubbies are not terrible at this game; but I guess that's more due to how focused the MH fan-base is.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Depends on your luck of the draw. I can regularly make a public game and find people who have no idea how to hunt any given monster because they've never soloed anything outside of village low rank.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

To get myself some elder dragon blood, I went and fought Ceadeus. I thought since I had the hurucan hammer (936 atk + 200 fire, attack up M and fire attack +1 with rath armor) I would loving destroy him in the first fifteen minutes. Nope. :downs:

In response to my large damage output, he began speeding ahead during the chase sequence and I could barely keep up with him whilst sprinting, pretty much skipped that whole first half of "please hit me."

During the actual fight, he swam rapidly in massive circles around the arena to charge up his ~big attack~ (which doesn't do poo poo to me with my HR armor), and he kept repeating this over and loving over again. He spent 3 whole minutes just running away from me and it's impossible to get any hits in.

Despite this, I broke his shell, horns, and beard, and I got him with two dragonator attacks. He was on his last sliver of health for sure, but the timer was up due to his loving pool laps and I ended up "repelling" him.

The only reason I am considering giving it a second try is because in the repel spoils, I got a deep dragon gem. This loving game. That was the least fun I've ever had doing anything.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

If you do the offline mission again; he'll return with the same amount of HP as he did when you finished the mission. You'll be able to down in him 10min or so with that, and carve him up.

But yeah, Caedus is pretty mind-numbing.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only reason I am considering giving it a second try is because in the repel spoils, I got a deep dragon gem. This loving game. That was the least fun I've ever had doing anything.

Welcome to Ceadeus.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Emalde posted:

Welcome to Ceadeus.

What really gets me is that every time he attacks it's just a waste of time. It's like Rathalos x1000 with his stupid loving map-clearing charges. Ceadeus would literally be more fun if he just stood still and let you hit him for 30 minutes.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
How large is the margin of error in High and G Rank, i.e. how many hits can you take?
I'm not good enough to do most monsters now without getting hit and I'm not sure how I'll do later.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Don't know about G-Rank, but as long as you keep up with building new armor sets, you can still handle getting hit quite a few times.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

scissorman posted:

How large is the margin of error in High and G Rank, i.e. how many hits can you take?
I'm not good enough to do most monsters now without getting hit and I'm not sure how I'll do later.

Well just to give you an example, when I first fought Brachydios I was still using Low Rank armour that hadn't been upgraded that much. His jump attack while enraged killed me when I was at about 90% health. Obviously though you can fight really easy monsters like Bird Wyverns to get a decent set of high rank armour before you face a monster as tough as Brachy.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

scissorman posted:

High rank is still pretty forgiving if you pick up an early high rank set. You can take a few hits and be fine. If you've done agnaktor in low rank, that's a good fight to base your damage expectations on.

G-rank, even in upgraded armor, is much more punishing. In full rank appropriate and upgraded armor and with max health, you can be 3-shot if the monster decides to just focus on you and gets you in a corner while enraged. Some, like Black Diablos, can kill you in two hits.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

In g-rank, if you're playing with people who use their mics, be prepared to hear a lot of cursing and the occasional attempt to beg the monster not to kill them.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
So what are you supposed to do with Brachydios when he gets mad, just leave the area? Because you can't get close to him at all without getting blown up by his million different instant-AOE attacks.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

rhoga posted:

G-rank, even in upgraded armor, is much more punishing. In full rank appropriate and upgraded armor and with max health, you can be 3-shot if the monster decides to just focus on you and gets you in a corner while enraged. Some, like Black Diablos, can kill you in two hits.
If that's the case, are there any weapons better suited to G-Rank solo play?
I'm currently using the greatsword but it sounds like that would be somewhat frustrating if you're not good enough.

I also can't go online since I'm playing on the 3DS.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

scissorman posted:

If that's the case, are there any weapons better suited to G-Rank solo play?
I'm currently using the greatsword but it sounds like that would be somewhat frustrating if you're not good enough.

I also can't go online since I'm playing on the 3DS.

You can bring your minions online with you, so they will focus you just as much. I just got a Sense+10 charm which reduces the chances a monster will focus on me, increasing the chances it will focus my minions which can be great for soloing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Machai posted:

You can bring your minions online with you, so they will focus you just as much. I just got a Sense+10 charm which reduces the chances a monster will focus on me, increasing the chances it will focus my minions which can be great for soloing.

Or detrimental. On jerks like the Rathalos and Plesioth who use a lot of long-distance charges, it can prolong a fight a lot.

If I want to make a fight quick I won't bring the shaka dudes. There's very few monsters (like the Diablos) that will viciously combo you if you're alone.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

So who's all beaten offline? I peeked at the key quests and god drat some of them look horrible. Double Duramboros; Mark of the Hero (All with G-rank damage), triple Plesioth...

Man that really looks un-appealing. What's the award for beating all of Moga village?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

So who's all beaten offline? I peeked at the key quests and god drat some of them look horrible. Double Duramboros; Mark of the Hero (All with G-rank damage), triple Plesioth...

Man that really looks un-appealing. What's the award for beating all of Moga village?

Those missions just give you super rewards basically. Lots of money, lots of parts, better rolls for rare parts. That's how it was in Tri at least. I seriously doubt they give you any kind of special village-only gear.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

So I've settled on a Great Sword and I kinda like it. The attacks are huge and hit a wide range of things around me, I can block with it, and the cutting damage, from what I've read in this thread, appears to be a huge bonus. Is there any particular upgrade path I should, or shouldn't take, while upgrading this dude? I have mine up to a Buster Sword at the moment. Also, should I hold off on using my Armor Spheres until later on when I have actually good armor? I'm still in the early game, only just got to level 2 * quests so I'm figuring it all out. Is there anything I should focus on farming now while it's easier? Also, the little leech enemies are a pain in the butt with a great sword.

Also, is IRC the only way we organize games? I'd like to do some multiplayer soon but gently caress pubbies.
Just use them, Atleast the first few ranks. I'm HR2 and on the 4 star solo quests and I have like 70 armor spheres and 25 +'s.

Speaking of pubbies I made a Barioth room trying to farm some spikes. I was surprised it filled up in about 3 minutes. One guy joined and had the same paralysis longsword as me. I checked his armor through the gamepad to see if he had wroggi armor for the status attack up like me. Nope, he had armor from 5 different sets and no skills :gonk:

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Office Thug posted:

So what are you supposed to do with Brachydios when he gets mad, just leave the area?

Run away. Try and trap him if you brought one but otherwise just stay away until he calms down, it ain't worth the risk.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Bland posted:

Run away. Try and trap him if you brought one but otherwise just stay away until he calms down, it ain't worth the risk.

Figures, this thing's just a chore even when using a hunting horn with movement boost. You probably can't evade its attacks with evasion+1/2 skill very easily either since all of them have hitboxes that linger for too long.

Another question, what do you need to make Tranquilizer decorations? I'd really like to get Capture Master on my plesioth suit.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 6, 2013

Tome
Mar 2, 2007

I don't know about anyone else but I really like the backgrounds you can pick for your guild card. I put these ones together because they make tilable wallpapers best out of all the cards available, but if there are any others people like then I can try and do requests.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Office Thug posted:

Figures, this thing's just a chore even when using a hunting horn with movement boost. You probably can't evade its attacks with evasion+1/2 skill very easily either since all of them have hitboxes that linger for too long.

Another question, what do you need to make Tranquilizer decorations? I'd really like to get Capture Master on my plesioth suit.

Looks like Deviljho tails and Alatreon parts.

Taken from here: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Jewel_Decoration_List in case it's out of date or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Tome posted:

I don't know about anyone else but I really like the backgrounds you can pick for your guild card. I put these ones together because they make tilable wallpapers best out of all the cards available, but if there are any others people like then I can try and do requests.

I think Port Gals is pretty cute, and I was using it on my guild card right up to when I got Kayamba and he covered one of the gals like a here.

• Locked thread