Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Yeah, for some reason I kept trying to select only the affected time codes but not anything else. Then it dawned on, "Hey dummy, the time code is a macro. Maybe highlight everything including the text and then tell it to adjust."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
I must be pretty dumb because I always enter my time codes by hand. I just paste a time code template every time and fill in the minutes and seconds. Maybe thats why I never got bothered about my time codes being off.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
Anyone have tips for getting faster at transcription? I've stopped going back to correct typos and just do it later in word, which should have seemed obvious but it took me a couple days to realize what a waste of time that was.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Just keep swimming?

So...flv files...they suck...how can I either use my foot pedal to control VLC, OR how can I convert these files into something InqScribe will like that doesn't take an hour for a two minute file?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Just keep swimming?

So...flv files...they suck...how can I either use my foot pedal to control VLC, OR how can I convert these files into something InqScribe will like that doesn't take an hour for a two minute file?

I know what're doing. I had to turn my part down, unfortunately, since I had other work. One video felt like I was reading a National Geographic.

Kaz posted some free programs he uses somewhere in here. Now sure if they do .flv though.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Nice, good for you, yeah I mean the pay on this one isn't awesome considering, but I love the medical stuff, it's my thing. I found one for free, it's just taking FOREVER!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Basically, the programs I use for conversion are Handbrake, XVID4PSP, and the Jodix family of converters. I've only run into three files that one of those programs couldn't sort out. I can't quite recall if I've ever run into an .flv, though.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
They're a pain, and I keep having trouble converting them because then they'll be something wrong with the codec when it's finished and a normally lovely format will cause issue, which is annoying because it might have taken an hour to convert the drat thing! Anyway trying Wondershare now, thanks Kaz!

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
When I converted flv files using Handbrake, they went all wonky in InqScribe - choppy, pedal wouldn't control the video, etc. What fixed it was going into Edit --> Options... and setting Windows Media Player as the preferred player (Quicktime is the default). All fixed. :)

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
Anyone having issue with Express Scribe not liking longer mp3s? I have a 59 minute file that ES keeps giving me "failed to convert" whenever I try to import.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Crunch Bucket posted:

When I converted flv files using Handbrake, they went all wonky in InqScribe - choppy, pedal wouldn't control the video, etc. What fixed it was going into Edit --> Options... and setting Windows Media Player as the preferred player (Quicktime is the default). All fixed. :)

This is embarrassing. I've been using InqScribe for YEARS and I never paid enough attention to that dialogue to realize you could do that. I just converted everything over to Quicktime to make easy (and a fair number of my clients used QT formats anyway). Next time I get a .wmv I'll see how using WMP does.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I might cry...why does InqScribe keep crashing...not even normal crashing it just...gone....half an hour's work gone because it keeps corrupting backups...I might actually go mad!

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I might cry...why does InqScribe keep crashing...not even normal crashing it just...gone....half an hour's work gone because it keeps corrupting backups...I might actually go mad!

Did you install the latest update? The only problem I've had with the program is responsiveness with my foot pedal.

MaveryJames
Feb 5, 2013
Might be a computer issue and not InqScribe. I use the program pretty regularly and it doesn't crash. Of course, now that I just said that I'll probably jinx myself.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
All up to date...and yeah...you might be right, might be the computer...oh man...I swear it heard me squee over new desk. It's punishing me by planning on doing something expensive. :-(

Edit: Folks, I'm signing up with a new company, ANP Transcription, I'm not seeing great things, but then again I have doen work for companies that had bad press online before and had good experience. Some people are crazy bitches so...anybody have any personal experience with these guys at all?

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 28, 2013

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Does anyone who worked or works at Lionbridge or Leapforce - or even Butler Hill - have any idea what would be appropriate to put on resumes/LinkedIn as far as job description? I am worried about that confidentiality agreement, but I have to be able to describe my job, right? If I just use somewhat vague descriptions without using the G word, am I okay? I'm more worried about LinkedIn.

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 5, 2013

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
A question for the folks doing SEO: how much business are you getting these days? I mean, obviously there's no such thing as a salary in this kind of work, but are you able to get the hours you want, or is your particular outfit slow?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Doghouse posted:

Does anyone who worked or works at Lionbridge or Leapforce - or even Butler Hill - have any idea what would be appropriate to put on resumes/LinkedIn as far as job description? I am worried about that confidentiality agreement, but I have to be able to describe my job, right? If I just use somewhat vague descriptions without using the G word, am I okay? I'm more worried about LinkedIn.

Just say a "popular search engine" or something. .

bolzo4
Apr 27, 2010
a couple of days ago I applied for leapforce,and yesterday I passed the first part of the exam,but I still can't do the next part!?is it normal?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Has DT been short on work lately or is it just normal to get 2 files in 3 weeks when starting out? I have been requesting 60 minutes M-F every week, unless I need to request more.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

dms666 posted:

Has DT been short on work lately or is it just normal to get 2 files in 3 weeks when starting out? I have been requesting 60 minutes M-F every week, unless I need to request more.

I was overworked two weeks ago where they were even sending things past my minutes but nothing this week so far.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Yeah, it's been pretty dry. I got an offer to do some editing for 50 cents a minute a moment ago, but eh. I think I'll do lionbridge instead.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Spartan421 posted:

Yeah, it's been pretty dry. I got an offer to do some editing for 50 cents a minute a moment ago, but eh. I think I'll do lionbridge instead.

At least LB has a 30 hour week this week, feels like it has been forever since one has happened.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Spartan421 posted:

I got that offer too and I'll be taking it as I haven't done much for the editing side yet. This week has been like weird for DT, not a HUGE amount. But yes, in the first few weeks working with them I really didn't get a lot and just chalked it up to them evaluating my skills.

And Spartan was you who turned down that medical job a couple weeks back with DT? You'll be glad of it. Three weeks out and I still have seven files sitting on my computer for all intents and purposes finished because the client hasn't given final word on some formatting points.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 5, 2013

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I got that offer too and I'll be taking it as I haven't done much for the editing side yet. This week has been like weird for DT, not a HUGE amount. But yes, in the first few weeks working with them I really didn't get a lot and just chalked it up to them evaluating my skills.

And Spartan was you who turned down that medical job a couple weeks back with DT? You'll be glad of it. Three weeks out and I still have seven files sitting on my computer for all intents and purposes finished because the client hasn't given final word on some formatting points.

It was me who turned it down. That was one of the files I turned down from being overextended. I knew that it was too good to be true. The files I reviewed were perfectly spoken with no background noise so I wondered why the pay was higher than usual. I figured it was because I would be googling medical terms for proper spelling 90% of the time. Not to mention I would be forced to look at boobies the whole time transcribing.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I basically gave up on Leapforce for a while. There were several months when I couldn't get more than a few minutes on tasks and then a bunch of weird one-offs came through but it wasn't worth reading the guidelines for 5 minutes of work, so I went to work on some other stuff.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

jabro posted:

It was me who turned it down. That was one of the files I turned down from being overextended. I knew that it was too good to be true. The files I reviewed were perfectly spoken with no background noise so I wondered why the pay was higher than usual. I figured it was because I would be googling medical terms for proper spelling 90% of the time. Not to mention I would be forced to look at boobies the whole time transcribing.

It seems weird to me that medical transcription is being sent through DT. Honestly, since I'm not paid for medical transcription, I just write things out that I can't find in a two second google search either phonetically, or in brackets. Since it's not a patient report or anything vital, I can't accidentally kill someone by doing that, and there's never been complaints from the QT guys. Makes the pay worthwhile, even if you end up staring at and/or listening to some unhappy poo poo for a while.

As an aside: I got a really, really weird job for transcription yesterday morning. It legit involved listening to a television program the company isn't contracted to work with through a second-hand audio recording. I'm really not sure what the hell to do with it other than point out where the program began, and I'm still waiting to hear back on whether or not that was "expected" to be transcribed, as well.

If it's not, cool, that's a lot of pay to just sit there doing nothing, but if it is, I'm not really sure that's legal, or if I should even consider doing it.

Kaz (or, hell, anyone), have you ever run into that before?

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 6, 2013

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I've had jobs where I've recorded meetings that contained an AV presentation, and sometimes I was expected to record it and sometimes I was expected to just note where it began and ended. And I've had some jobs where I was supposed to transcribe a program, and they recorded it by playing a DVD and holding a tape recorder up to the speaker. (Wanted to punch that one.) Without more details I wouldn't be able to tell you much about legality -- and I imagine you signed an NDA, so don't give me more details -- but generally speaking, if someone's going to get into the poo poo for this it's going to be the ones who gave you the job, not you. It's not really a call you need to worry about making. I'd just do what they ask and turn it in, unless you really don't want to do it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

... recorded it by playing a DVD and holding a tape recorder up to the speaker.

:lol: Sad as it is to say, that'd be a step up from this one.

Anyway, yeah, I contacted the company about it, feeling a lot less ??? about the legality, a lot more pissed about the quality. Thanks for the info (as always).

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

An Old Boot posted:

It seems weird to me that medical transcription is being sent through DT. Honestly, since I'm not paid for medical transcription, I just write things out that I can't find in a two second google search either phonetically, or in brackets. Since it's not a patient report or anything vital, I can't accidentally kill someone by doing that, and there's never been complaints from the QT guys. Makes the pay worthwhile, even if you end up staring at and/or listening to some unhappy poo poo for a while.

As an aside: I got a really, really weird job for transcription yesterday morning. It legit involved listening to a television program the company isn't contracted to work with through a second-hand audio recording. I'm really not sure what the hell to do with it other than point out where the program began, and I'm still waiting to hear back on whether or not that was "expected" to be transcribed, as well.

If it's not, cool, that's a lot of pay to just sit there doing nothing, but if it is, I'm not really sure that's legal, or if I should even consider doing it.

Kaz (or, hell, anyone), have you ever run into that before?

I see what you mean. Personally I trained for medical transcription so the terminology for the most part and the Googling wasn't a big deal, it was more their insistence that everything on the screen be transcribed as well, including tables and other things they'd added into the video presentation. There was some pages thrown up on screen with a lot of text, we still haven't heard back on. And trust me here guys, boobies were fine. Boobies were the BEST thing I saw the inside of form that entire assignment *shudder*.

And to add to the I don't know if this is legal bit, I had one that was an American client not too long ago, asked HIS client if it was okay to record. No is clearly hear, twice. It's weird, but it's not our job to pass judgement. Even when it comes to medical, you're responsible for any mistakes you make on the transcript if mistakes occur because you transcribed it wrong, but the actual content as long as the record you create is correct, is the responsibility of the client.

So yeah, always wait for final clarification, but don't worry about it.

As long as the audio is good, enjoy. Because next week you'll probably get something with audio where someone has the recorder in their pocket...the pocket through which they are stroking it, for the entire hour. Yeah, sometimes that's a thing. Bleh.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

FredMSloniker posted:

A question for the folks doing SEO: how much business are you getting these days? I mean, obviously there's no such thing as a salary in this kind of work, but are you able to get the hours you want, or is your particular outfit slow?

Are you calling Lionbridge/etc. "seo"? Because it's not, and there are salaries in SEO. http://www.seomoz.org/seo-industry-survey

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Oh my god, it was like dead and now it's like super rush files everywhere!

Crunch Bucket
Feb 11, 2008

Duuh! These are staaairs!
Is there anything in particular that can affect if DT sends you assignments? I've been signing up for 2-3 hours per day but it's been dead lately, save for one assignment last week. By the time I notice new dates have been added to the calendar, there are already 30-ish other transcriptionists that have signed up. Does getting on the schedule sooner affect how likely you are to get an assignment?

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

How do you see who else has signed up?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Spartan421 posted:

How do you see who else has signed up?

On the scheduling page if you look at a date on the calendar it lists a number "Work Request(20)"

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Oh cool, didn't know that's what that number meant.

Cast Iron Brick
Apr 24, 2008
So I think I'm out of trying transcription. I don't know what it is about my motivation, but I can't hold my attention to it long enough to stay productive and get faster.

Would it be kosher of me to offer to sell my foot pedal in this thread, or should I make a SAMart thread and link it here?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Cast Iron Brick posted:

So I think I'm out of trying transcription. I don't know what it is about my motivation, but I can't hold my attention to it long enough to stay productive and get faster.

Would it be kosher of me to offer to sell my foot pedal in this thread, or should I make a SAMart thread and link it here?

You'll want to make an SA mart thread -- strict adherence to that particular forum rule was set up after some dude scammed a bunch of people in this thread.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Did he actually scam people? I thought it was more preventative so that the mods keep all actual on-site transactions in one more easily monitored place. Unless I'm forgetting something, which I might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I think he finally made everyone whole, but it was definitely dodgy for a while.