Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Xaris posted:

Just curious, why a lot more? I like them both pretty much equally with Oath slightly nudging out Origin just because I found Yunica kind of annoying and level design wasn't as interesting.

The difficulty curve felt more reasonable to me. I got my poo poo handed to me in Oath a lot, even on Easy. But it was my first Ys game so who knows. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012
I'm currently playing Syberia because I've heard it's a great classic adventure game. Problem is, I hate it. It feels like they tried to make it feel like a very large world by just adding scores of pointless areas. I'll slog through a half dozen empty scenes, walking down a road, only to reach a dead end and have to turn back the way I came. On top of that, some of the puzzles just strike me as plain asinine. At one point, heroine Kate Walker can't be bothered to pick up a dirty wet boat paddle, so she has to ask Momo, the village idiot/handicapped boy to pick it up and carry it for her. At another, she refuses to climb a ladder because she's afraid of the three pigeons at the base. Granted, the scenery is pretty (for a ten year-old game), and it's a nice moody atmosphere. But I'm an impatient man who can't be bothered to wander around lost for five minutes before he spends ten minutes solving stupid puzzles.

Unfortunately, I have all of the adventure games from the studio sitting in my backlog, and I'm compulsive enough that I'd like to beat any game that I paid for. My question is, can anyone tell me (as I struggle to power through this one) if I should even bother trying Syberia 2 or Still Life 1 & 2? Do the later games get more streamlined, or are they all pretty much the same in terms of this slow gameplay that I hate?

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Nulled Shank. Too long levels, can't save within a level. This makes it immediately crap. Anyone know if Shank 2 has the same problem?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Hob_Gadling posted:

Nulled Shank. Too long levels, can't save within a level. This makes it immediately crap. Anyone know if Shank 2 has the same problem?

Those are still there. Definitely check out the soundtrack if you got it from a Bundle though; the main menu music is great.

That said, clearing the whole game only took me 3 hours, and most of my problems with Shank involved the controls not mixing well with the gameplay they wanted. Shank 2 solved that problem very well indeed, and that might translate to "shorter levels" in practice.

----

I don't think I'm quite to the meat of the game yet in Arkham City yet, but I'm proceeding. I'm getting "local surveilliance" stuff that looks like side missions but the only things my map tells me about are Primary Objectives; should I be taking my own initiative here, or am I expected to eventually be handheld through a "here is how side missions work" sequence?

Regardless, I haven't had the brainpower to be the the world's greatest detective much these days, so I've most been working my way through the brainless BIT.TRIP games.

COMPLETED: BIT.TRIP CORE in about five hours. It's BEAT with a D-pad and better difficulty progression, but that's about it. I cleared it on Normal (the hardest mode essentially requires perfection and therefore I don't consider it to count) and was in the top 100 on each level. Not really recommended, particularly since a gamepad is mandatory and only the D-Pad part works.

BEATEN: BIT.TRIP VOID in 72 minutes. This is the easiest one and probably the most mechanically interesting. It's a polarity-based shmup without shooting back, and they got more mileage out of this than I expected. Also, I got into the top 15 (and thus the first page of the Steam leaderboards) on level 2 :woop: This one's "beaten" instead of "completed" because I noticed afterwards that I'd been playing on Easy by accident, despite the achievements all saying "Beat the game on Normal" or whatever. For a difficulty comparison between VOID and the others, doing a fast traversal of BIT.TRIP RUNNER, which I'm very good at (if not a full master), takes me about 2 hours. I beat VOID from never having seen it in less than that. Definitely not worth full price, and I'm kinda questioning if it was worth the $2.50 I paid. I guess it was.

That covers all the Bit Trip that's available on PC, at any rate. Time to do some more Batmanning before selecting a new B-Side game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You have to initiate side missions on your own. If it hasn't happened yet, Batman will eventually trail the Riddler and you'll start getting green enemies that reveal map secrets. Sometimes you'll overhear someone being threatened and these "bystander" count towards total completion.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

I went back and tried to play the original Grand Theft Auto. Getting around the city is an enormous pain in the rear end because you lose all momentum the second you collide with another vehicle and there are vehicles everywhere. I can't remember if that's also the case for the second game or not although I remember that being the top down GTA that I really liked.

I played a few missions of Freedom Force before giving up. I really liked the story telling and the atmosphere of the game but either I was doing something really wrong or that game is really hard because I was dying constantly, even on normal. It seemed like anytime I was in combat with more than two enemies at once I was hosed, either from them just pounding me to death with baseball bats or by running out of energy and stunning myself and then getting pounded to death with bats.

I beat the Arcade mode of Super Street Fighter IV for the 3DS and then did some of Ryu's trial mode stuff. I didn't check out the online because the laundromat I was at didn't have wifi, I may do that this weekend. Seems like a fine version of the game though.

I completed the first season of The Walking Dead. Overall, I really enjoyed it. I thought the writing and characters were terrific (for the most part) and above all everyone just felt believable. They weren't typical videogame or movie protagonists succeeding against all odds, they were barely hanging on survivors in a hosed up post apocalyptic world. The tension and drama felt real and there was this constant fear that everything could just go to poo poo in a second. There are specific moments I want to cite as being really well done but I'm afraid of spoiling things.

All that said, I want to take a second to extend a huge middle finger to episode four. What a loving pile of poo poo that was. Since I'm getting into some specifics I'll spoiler the rest: The characters go from a scared group of survivors to running through the streets effortlessly head shotting scores of zombies all while trying to one up each other with one liners and clever quips. And then there's Molly, who when she isn't leg sweeping people is parkouring all over god drat Savannah like an action movie hero. It peaks at the garage scene where Molly shares that she has a nickname for her ice axe and gets sentimental about all they've been through. This is sparked by Lee asking to borrow it to sever a hydraulic line all of five feet away from her. Oh and there are zombies breaking down the door while she takes the time to relay this idiotic story. All of the tension and drama from the previous episodes is tossed out and replaced with a bunch of generic action movie bullshit. It is completely out of step with the rest of the series and bad enough that I just stopped playing a couple times because it was so loving dumb.

I almost didn't make it through Episode four, it put me off that much but I'm glad I did because episode five was great and that ending was something else.

I've also been playing Saints Row 3 and Bayonetta again, working on getting 100% in each. SR3 seems a lot more likely than Bayonetta but they're both great games.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Keeping in line with the comic books, there are moments where things are tossed out the window and poo poo gets crazy like one guy clearing an entire prison yard of zombies with a hammer or a woman who's a wizard with a katana. I liken it to Metal Gear Solid where you have touching moments punctuated by bizarre awesome action although MGS has progressively ramped up in absurdity with each game.

The shootout with the rednecks at the beginning of Ep3 is the moment that upset me. I thought I could make it through the game without killing anyone (and indeed, I made sure Lee never killed non-zombies) but in this segment Lee turns into a Call of Duty quick scoping sniper of death. It's a brief moment but it broke me out of the atmosphere quickly.

thizzin forever
Apr 10, 2007

al-azad posted:

Keeping in line with the comic books, there are moments where things are tossed out the window and poo poo gets crazy like one guy clearing an entire prison yard of zombies with a hammer or a woman who's a wizard with a katana. I liken it to Metal Gear Solid where you have touching moments punctuated by bizarre awesome action although MGS has progressively ramped up in absurdity with each game.

The shootout with the rednecks at the beginning of Ep3 is the moment that upset me. I thought I could make it through the game without killing anyone (and indeed, I made sure Lee never killed non-zombies) but in this segment Lee turns into a Call of Duty quick scoping sniper of death. It's a brief moment but it broke me out of the atmosphere quickly.

I have no familiarity with the show or comic but in reading some reviews after playing the game the comic, and one character in particular, were mentioned as being the probable source for Molly. I guess that makes sense and I can kinda see why you'd do an homage for people who are fans of the series, but it just struck me as tonally inconsistent with the rest of the writing and I really did not like it. That bit at the beginning of Episode 3 didn't really bother me at the time but yeah in retrospect it is kinda weird for the same reasons.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Nimbus

A fun little game that was very challenging, even though I play on Easy. The "boss fight" seemed really out of place with the rest of the game, though.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Beaten Call of Duty: World At War. Took me about 10 hours, on Hardened difficulty. It was just OK considering what it is - heavily scripted shooter that feels almost like a puzzle game where you have to figure out when and where to move rather than shoot enemies. The scripting was not as tight as the Modern Warfare games, with some bugs here and there. At least the campaign was different from usual WWII shooters, featuring battles in Japan and the Russian invasion of Germany.

I guess I need to take a break from scripted shooters.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN: Waking Mars - Picked this up for €1.17 during an incredible Indie sale. This game is such a rich experience, Liang actually seems humbled and fascinated with everything he sees, a true scientist. I certainly loved how A.R.T, the AI program would name all the new species they came across, even if he didn't make any sense. Gameplay is simple enough, but trying to find balance can be quite tough. Beat it in 8 hours, but the true ending would take a little longer.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

nipplefish posted:

Unfortunately, I have all of the adventure games from the studio sitting in my backlog, and I'm compulsive enough that I'd like to beat any game that I paid for. My question is, can anyone tell me (as I struggle to power through this one) if I should even bother trying Syberia 2 or Still Life 1 & 2? Do the later games get more streamlined, or are they all pretty much the same in terms of this slow gameplay that I hate?

I can't comment on Still Life but Syberia 2 is a direct continuation of the first in everything: story, mood, puzzles, interface, etc., it's the second half of the same game. The only improvements I noticed on my playthrough were a couple of additional idle animations for KATE WALKER (I can't not hear that automaton's voice when I see that name). If you're struggling to get through the first game you might as well abandon it before you reach the hideous cliffhanger at the end, I think, as the second will be more of the same.

I've made some good progress on my backlog recently:

Saints Row: The Third - Lots of fun. Was surprised to find out when reading the SR4 thread many people didn't like it, but I haven't played the first two so I had little expectations. It delivered on good quality open-world mayhem.

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy - Beat it three times to get the 'real' ending, but when you know the levels you can breeze through the campaign. Awesome game, but kind of unbalanced, and I wish the brouzouf prices were lower across the board. Loved the huge levels.

Brutal Legend - Metal sucks, but not while you're playing this game.

The Cave - I didn't expect much from Gilbert after... what, 20 years of not making a relevant game? I liked the individual segments of it but few people will dispute that it's a chore to play.

The Basement Collection - Beat everything except Triachnid, which I really disliked, and AVGM, which is just tedious. Not necessarily 100% on everything, but that's okay. Time Fcuk would be the best one here, but Aether and Spewer are fantastic too. Meat Boy doesn't control as tightly as SMB so I skipped some levels and didn't go for all bandages.

Alan Wake - Takes a while to get into it but once you do it's quite nice. The story's good fun but it should've, well, ended. From a plot perspective the DLCs add nothing and even they don't properly end it. I feel like Remedy is needlessly dragging it on considering they're making a full sequel.

Broken Sword 1-3 - Decent adventure games which come with all the caveats you would expect. I didn't love them but they were pretty enjoyable. Except the third. The third is atrocious in every possible way. It has a long list of bad design decisions (box puzzles, forced stealth, poorly done QTEs, unskippable cutscenes and dialogue, awkward camera angles, bad controls, etc.) and this on top of the questionable writing, voice acting and puzzles that the first two had as well.

Next up I'm going back to Alan Wake with American Nightmare. I find myself actually looking forward to the combat, surprisingly. After that Waking Mars, and after that hopefully I can get started on Divinity 2. I've been holding off on it for too long, but once I beat it my backlog will be in great shape. Probably less than twenty unbeaten titles, and most of those are either unfavored genres or games I've tried and couldn't get into. I could happily null many of them.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

BEAT: Limbo
Nice and moody atmosphere, but the last series of puzzles get pretty annoying and bad- especially the inexplicable use of really stupid, gamey elements like anti-gravity stuff and turrets. Not sure how well those served the story the game was telling, but I didn't read too deeply into them.

BEAT: Little Inferno
I forgot that I bought this when it was on sale and went through the whole thing in a day. I really enjoyed it- the deconstructive social commentary can be a bit hamfisted at times, but there's also a load of funny things about it, and the overall message of the game is sincere and communicated in a way that is strangely compelling. Don't pick it up expecting a real 'game,' but it's a unique experience.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Demon's Souls (PS3) - Nulled:
This is the big one. I'm sorry, but I really can't do this anymore. I've had a good run, clearing every single world except for the boss of 1-4, Old King Allant. I don't know if I'd ever beat this guy, but it's definitely not worth trying. I've already powered through so many frustrating passages. The Maneater was a pretty close one too, I almost quit after that. So I guess 1-4 is just the final straw. Sporting a pure melee build doesn't help matters when the advice for most difficult bosses is to "use ranged attacks".

This sounds very negative so let me just say that I did have fun for the better part of the 30+ hours I spent with this game. There are moments when it confuses "challenging" with "cheap" and the controls are far from spot-on, which is bad for a game that's so unforgiving. But it's also a very nice chance of pace from what you usually get on the market. The different worlds are very creative, the leveling system is cool and there's a lot to discover and learn. Maybe my hide isn't thick enough to finish this game or maybe my character build just sucks, but I really don't want to dump 10 hours into seeing the final 5%. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the other 95%.

Most of all I'm glad I can finally close this chapter because I've bought this game like two years ago.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (Steam) - Beat:
Completed the base and expansion campaigns. It's.. nice. Nothing too special. I was a little disappointed that you couldn't build your own deck (this seems to be a recurring theme amongst people who haven't heard of the game before playing it). They do give you a nice variation of prebuild decks and there's some limited customization, so that's cool. I'd say I had fun with it and I might play a quick round now and then but it's nothing you sink much time into. Basically Magic Lite. I do feel like without deckbuilding a lot of the game comes down to choosing the right prebuild and getting lucky with the draw. Also I'm pretty sure the AI cheats, which is just dumb.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Steam) - Beat:
The campaign is taking a more direct approach than some of the other CODs I've played. A little less infiltration, QTE, and first-person cutscenes, more running and shooting at things. Just what I wanted for Christmas. Honestly, all the "OH MY GOD THE PROTAGONIST STUMBLED QUICK GET UP!!!1" got a little silly. But nobody gives a poo poo about the campaign. The multiplayer is pretty awesome, I don't know why everybody hates on this franchise. I mean there's so many gamemodes and most of them are even fun. Negative mentions: Zombie mode sucks (but I'm probably too stupid for this refined gentlemen's sport) and I feel like the hit-detection is a little spotty sometimes (but I'm probably being a baby about my lack of leet skills). Dropshotting is hilarious because people do it once and then they just lie around and wait for you to kill them. I'm still playing it now and then. Mostly Sticks and Stones and I'm only using the axe. You can win matches like this. But I don't.

Little Inferno (Steam) - Beat:
This was.. interesting. ? I don't know. You buy stuff, then you burn it so you can buy more stuff to burn. I get that it's a message about the entertainment industry (more specifically cheap timewaster games like you get them in App stores). So it's pretty meta. Other than that there's not much "game" here. You have fun burning crap in the beginning and then you just want to see the end. I got about three and a half hours out of it which is how many Euros I paid, so that's a pretty good ratio.

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Steam)
+3 free slots

Yodzilla posted:

If you enjoyed Duke Nukem 3D then you owe it to yourself to pick up Blood ASAP.

Pierzak posted:

Also, Shadow Warrior. It's Duke Nukem 3D meets Yellow Peril.
Hey, thanks for these. I'm definitely interested in more Duke Nukem style games, but right now I have to tackle a neverending list of other titles waiting to be cleared. I'll look at these some time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Bobby The Rookie posted:

BEAT: Little Inferno
I forgot that I bought this when it was on sale and went through the whole thing in a day. I really enjoyed it- the deconstructive social commentary can be a bit hamfisted at times, but there's also a load of funny things about it, and the overall message of the game is sincere and communicated in a way that is strangely compelling. Don't pick it up expecting a real 'game,' but it's a unique experience.

I beat this recently too on my iPad which was a perfect way to play that game. Probably the strangest thing about the game was that the story ended up being completely genuine and heartwarming. I was expecting something super dark and horrible and came away completely surprised.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
New 100% achievement games for this week:

Super Hexagon - So good! I bought it in the recent indie sale on Steam and I could hardly put it down. Took me 12 hours to finish everything. I liked being able to zone out as I played and snap back into consciousness when I was on the cusp of a new record. There's not much else to say about it really, it's one of the simplest games around.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Beat Waking Mars in a single looong session last night. Fun game, pretty chill, about about exploring and underground gardening and alien life forms. Definitely would recommend it. Was right about the perfect length, just as I was starting to get bored with it, it finished up with a nice satisfying set of endings.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shovelmint posted:

Beat Waking Mars in a single looong session last night. Fun game, pretty chill, about about exploring and underground gardening and alien life forms. Definitely would recommend it. Was right about the perfect length, just as I was starting to get bored with it, it finished up with a nice satisfying set of endings.

This is true--Waking Mars was a pretty good length. A fair amount of games overstay their welcome and it's more insidious because you'll just lose interest and have a hell of time finishing it. If I had to write one negative remark about Giana Sisters (which I really dug) is that the levels overstay their welcome by a good 30% or more, even if their aren't that many levels in total. It made it kind of a chore to finally beat because I didn't want to sit down and play a single level that long.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 1, 2013

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Lavatein posted:

New 100% achievement games for this week:

Super Hexagon - So good! I bought it in the recent indie sale on Steam and I could hardly put it down. Took me 12 hours to finish everything. I liked being able to zone out as I played and snap back into consciousness when I was on the cusp of a new record. There's not much else to say about it really, it's one of the simplest games around.
Cripes, you either have monstrous reaction time or you just built up the muscle memory required for the last few difficulties over hours and hours. I'm just on the cusp of beating "Harder" mode, I can't imagine how insane those last few difficulties must be.

Xaris posted:

This is true--Waking Mars was a pretty good length. A fair amount of games overstay their welcome and it's more insidious because you'll just lose interest and have a hell of time finishing it. If I had to write one negative remark about Giana Sisters (which I really dug) is that the levels overstay their welcome by a good 30% or more, even if their aren't that many levels in total. It made it kind of a chore to finally beat because I didn't want to sit down and play a single level that long.
Yeah, I'm playing through Waking Mars right now and it's paced pretty nicely. You consistently stumble upon some new revelatory thing or a new 'power' at just the right moment before things start getting samey, and the levels get increasingly intricate. Really digging it so far, I think I'm getting pretty close to the end.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I really should get back to work.

I think I might actually have a problem.

COMPLETED: Aliens vs Predator (2010 edition) - I picked this up about a year ago when it was about €4 during a sale. Hadn't touched it (because I'm a scaredy cat) until Aliens: Colonial Marines was released and people were foaming at the mouth in anger. The Goons on the A:CM thread recommended that people try the AVP 2010 multiplayer and even the campaigns, which I soon did.

The Marine Campaign is the longest and certainly the most action packed, the sense of dread you get when you run out of ammo for your pulse rifle, trying to mow down Xenomorphs as they rush you is great.

The Aliens Campaign is quite fun as you stalk your prey from the darkness, wait for an opening and strike, then scurry away in case any pesky marines see you and open fire.

The Predator Campaign is the weakest in terms of story, but it kinda plays out like a first person version of Assassins Creed: Distract a guard from the group, have them come over, wait till they turn their back, gank them, rinse, repeat. That is, until you get new weapons, then it becomes :black101: in game form. The Throwing Disk and Combi Stick are beasts, ripping enemies apart and making their helmets fly off in a comic fashion. [Slight Spoiler] It's also like Assassins Creed where you get your own Eagle Vision and start seeing you ancestors as holograms. It's a story of reclaiming your families honour. [/Slight Spoiler]. What I'm saying is, we need Assassins Creed V: Predator sooner, rather than later.

It took me about 8 hours in total, with the Marines being about half of that time, but you could probably finish it in about half that time. The AI is a bit dumb, so set it to a high difficulty to get some enjoyment out of it.

Been relaxing with some FTL and The Sims 3, two games you can't really complete, so I've a feeling that I won't be beating any games any time soon.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Nulled: Nightsky
Usually I don't like puzzle games but thought I'd give it a chance anyway. You play as a purple bowling ball and have to roll up ledges and occasionally manipulate gravity to reach the end of the stage. I liked the parts where you're encased in a 'vehicle' of these wheels and a frame and drive it forward by spinning your ball in the opposite direction. After about 45 minutes I got stuck at a part where you have to make a bridge by collapsing these platforms in a certain order and decided I didn't care enough to look up the solution on Gamefaqs.

Nulled: Shank
The controls never clicked with me as I can't stand it when sidescrollers make you use the thumbstick for movement. Repetitive gameplay, way too long levels and a dull Rodriguezesque ex-hitman-out-for-revenge plot...blegh. Shank? More like stank. Nice graphics, though.

Beat: Retro City Rampage
RCR is essentially a novelty game. Do you have fond memories of growing up on the NES like I do? Yes? Then it's worth the handful of hours it takes to beat. I was quite impressed when it had a homage to that goddamn NES Ninja Turtles level where you had to defuse those bombs underwater which I never could beat as a kid.

clay_
Apr 2, 2013
Just got on the backloggery train.

Organizing my list just made me remember how many games I have that I haven't even touched yet.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

ManxomeBromide posted:

Those are still there. Definitely check out the soundtrack if you got it from a Bundle though; the main menu music is great.

That said, clearing the whole game only took me 3 hours, and most of my problems with Shank involved the controls not mixing well with the gameplay they wanted. Shank 2 solved that problem very well indeed, and that might translate to "shorter levels" in practice.

Decided to give it another go. It's a strange experience, really: only 3 hours long but feels like a lot more. If I could have stopped playing after each individual fight and started later at the same spot it would have been a lot nicer experience. After 10 minutes I always felt like I had enough and would rather be doing something else.

Prize for the biggest "gently caress you" goes to the quicktime event symbols. They don't correspond with anything in either the menus or keyboard. Just show me the key you want me to mash!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Beaten: Bioshock! The original!
After being on my steam account for over 2 years, the release of the highly acclaimed Infinite finally convinced me to go back and play through the original in spite of having given up on it after 1 play. I gotta say, playing all the way through didn't do much to change my opinions. The shooting was bad throughout, the level structure felt very game-y and obtuse, and the characters were all unlikeable. I got the bad ending because apparently saving the majority of the little sisters isn't enough to convince Tenenbaum you're not a total kitten stomper from hell.

Started: Bioshock 2! The second one!
This however is a lot better. Gone is snarling tax-cheat Ryan, leaving behind only memories which actually portray him instead as an earnest yet somewhat jaded transhumanist. While combat is mostly the same they have at least made weapons and plasmids simultaneously available and greatly streamlined the hacking, making it a much smoother experience overall.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
While I slog through Half-Life 2 I played a few of short games:

Completed: Jolly Rover

I don't like adventure games, but this one made me laugh. Pirate dogs are funny to me I suppose. It was pretty much what I expected an adventure game to be, and with the mechanics intended to help casual gamers/children, I found everything.

Beat: Splice

I don't particularly enjoy minimalist games as they're not fun for me to play. If I get stuck I want direction, or at least an explanation of the various mechanics within the game which they don't typically have, and Splice was no exception. I had to look up what was going on almost immediately, but then was okay till near the end when I returned to youtube to guide me through most of the last two sections. The piano-based soundtrack fit the game's aesthetic perfectly and was probably the best thing about it.

Completed: DLC Quest & Live Freemium Or Die

Got this as part of an IndieRoyale and it only recently came onto Steam. It was short, but fun to play through while it lasted. The whole premise of the game lent itself a bit too well to actually good platforming game mechanics (buying the ability to access new areas with in-game currency) which kind of defeats the purpose? Would probably have become tiresome if it had gone on for much longer.

Currently in Nova Prospekt for HL2 & Chapter 5 in Magicka.

Turada fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 5, 2013

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Nulled: Your Doodles are Bugged. It's fun in theory, like a super simple Lemmings where you draw lines for bugs to walk on, but the bugs are erratic and will walk through scenery, squeeze into spaces you can't get them out of, get stuck on the jagged lines of your pencil, I'd rather play MS Paint than this. Ugh.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Just started.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Nulled: Deadlight. This game looks amazing, but after playing it for a while, it seems that its looks are the only thing it has going for it. It plays like the original Prince of Persia, but with even clunkier controls and shittier combat. The 2D side-scrolling may set it apart from other zombie games, but it also severely limits the possible number of puzzles and action sequences, which means that the gameplay starts to feel repetitive before long. Finally, the setting, which should be a selling point, ultimately boils down to a by-the-numbers zombie plot (including the old "maybe humans are the real monsters" chestnut, delivered without any sense of subtlety or irony), mixed in with some uninteresting psychological horror (somebody please tell me if the big twist really is that he killed his own wife and kid). I think I was pretty close to the end when I gave up (I had just disrupted the power in the Safe Point), but then I ran into a series of frustrating and completely unfun sequences that sucked away any desire I had to keep playing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yep that's the twist. Not that it matters since the plot and storytelling in Deadlight is terrible. What a missed opportunity on all fronts.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Beat: Etherlords 2
The combination of Heroes of Might and Magic Lite and Magic the Gathering held this title up pretty well. The second and the third campaigns both introduced enough twists to the game mechanics, and enough new spells to keep things lively. I'd recommend this to anyone who's interested in a single player MtG-like experience, and doesn't mind occasional frustration due to the gimmicky nature of some of the decks you face.

The last boss sure was a pain, though. I must have missed some critical spell pickups or something. The skills I had on my hero were also far from optimal for the battle. The result was 3 hours of figuring out a deck that gave me a shot at beating the boss, and 1 hour of losing repeatedly with said deck. I came pretty close a couple of times, but finally just used a console cheat to be done with it. After all that, I just didn't think it was worth the time to replay a significant part of the campaign to rebuild my hero. But hey, I guess it says something about the depth of the tactical battle system, that I bothered to play a single battle again and again for such a long time. Or perhaps I'm just stupid, that's also a possibility.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I tried NightSky but I really didn't enjoy it at all. What really annoyed me was the presentation, they tell you "powers come and go". Take off your fedora for 5 minutes dev and just tell me what I can and can't do for this level, it doesn't make it anymore intellectual, it's a game where you roll a ball around.

And bye bye to Vigil: Blood Bitterness too. Perhaps this was revolutionary back in it's day, I'm not sure. However in 2013 it's a point and click adventure without any of the characterization and humor that makes point and click adventures a blast.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 6, 2013

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Beaten Call of Duty: Black Ops. It took me about 9 hours, on Hardened. Despite saying I'd take a break from scripted shooters, I figured I should beat this one as it was the last "modern" Call of Duty remaining on my backlog. Even though I could anticipate the story a mile away, I thought the gameplay was better than average - at least when compared to the previous one I played, World At War. It is also impressive how the franchise brings great voice actors (Ed Harris, Gary Oldman) and licensed music (CCR, Rolling Stones). I liked it for what it was.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

And bye bye to Vigil: Blood Bitterness too. Perhaps this was revolutionary back in it's day, I'm not sure. However in 2013 it's a point and click adventure without any of the characterization and humor that makes point and click adventures a blast.

I wanted to give this game a shot years ago, but the fact that it's possible to die and doesn't have quicksaves killed that desire. Sure, I'll be happy to go through that five minutes of text again because you didn't indicate that this particular bit of the environment is loving lava or something.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Completed: Thomas Was Alone. This went for the :3: reaction, and it got it. It is all the :3:s. Very cute narration (reminiscent of Little Big Planet, really), very low difficulty level, and a gameplay style I haven't seen since The Lost Vikings. It's a nice casual puzzle platformer, though it was over pretty quickly (all achievements in about 3.5 hours). I usually grade myself as thinking that a reasonable level of play or skill is one where I've gotten all the achievements that at least 10% of players get. In Thomas Was Alone that is all of them. While there may be people who are not attracted to a game about the secret emotional lives of rectangles, I suspect it's got broader appeal than most of the platformers I've been playing.

In Progress: Batman: Arkham City. I'm about four hours in now. For some reason it's not grabbing me the way Asylum did. I am not totally sure what's up with that, but I'm cruising through the main storyline, anyway.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Beat: Psychonauts. I really enjoyed this one, despite it being infuriating in places. The originality of the settings and writing, with the prison guard's mind probably being the peak. Slightly dragged down by the dodgy controls, Raz quite often wouldn't grab onto things or drop off them at random, compounding the stress was the stupid lives system, which booted you back to the start of the level after dying too often. Thank heavens for Ford Cruller's guidance. Also, Meat Circus is not that hard. I was expecting Hell on Earth the way it's built up. It's annoying in places, but by no means solid.

Beat: Far Cry 3. Like many people, it started off as HOLY poo poo BEST GAME EVER then the crushing realisation of how repetitive it is. Nearly nulled it but decided to do only things that got me rewards. It looked great and provided a few moments of pure sandbox joy when assassinating Pirate leaders without being seen and also clearing outposts. Story was alright, and I did actually enjoy the second island with Sam and that dude who isn't Vaas. Could quite happily have slit Jason's girlfriend's throat at the end. Singlehandedly save my friends, what does she yell me when I go to help the Rakyat? 'Look after yourself, that's what you're good at!' Knob. Really hated Citra as a character too.. Would recommend with the advice to only ever do what's fun and not worry about 100%.

Beat: Dishonored. Loved it. A Deus Ex 1 for 2012. I think I fell in love with it fully when I was after one of the the brothers you have to kill at the brothel, one of the guards fired on me, having spotted me blink to the balcony, the target stormed out to see what was happening, surprising me. My wild sword swing caught him just so, knocking him clean off balcony! The heart was a great addition too, spent ages just pointing it at people. It was hinted at, but when you point it at Daud it's :stare:. I didn't mind the pacifist = good mechanic, it gave me an incentive to play it sneaky but giving me a chance to get stabby if things got tight.

Beat: Hitman: Absolution. Going into this without playing others in the series, I really enjoyed it. Some of the ways you can bump people off are great and a few targets did end up in front of me for a rather simpler garrotting. I think the 47 should have had far less health, it was too easy to just shoot everyone if you were spotted.

Beat: Crysis 3. Got this free and wouldn't have bothered otherwise after Crysis but I thought it was great. It seemed a lot less 'an army vs you' and of course, looked amazing. I got a brand new 7950 Boost and full settings nets about 12FPS. Never change, Crysis. Really liked story after not really caring about Crysis 2's. Having Psycho back was great, 'that one's for Aztec, even if he was a bellend!' Only plot gripe was that a Ceph ship was coming though a wormhole, these guys having being built up as having been spacefaring for longer than life on Earth has been multicellular. It's outright stated that we're less than moss to them. So you fire a big laser at and it dies. It's like an F-22 being destroyed by stone-age warrior with a pointy rock tied to a stick times a million. I'll very grudgingly allow the explanation that it collapsed the wormhole.

I have all of the Bioshock games and Mirror's Edge to come.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 7, 2013

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Decided to try out X-Com: Enemy Unknown and woke up 2 hours later from a magnificent dream. I have projects to do, stop being so addictive.

Seriously, pick this up only if you have some free time on your hands, like a months worth.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I nulled Wizorb. I gave it two hours and the levels just got more and more repetitive and frustrating. I know what I need to do, lining up ridiculous bounces through a small hole isn't fun, it's tedious. I was on world 4 of 5 and just couldn't do it.

I started Rage with the Scorchers DLC and so far I'm having a lot of fun with it. The guns feel solid when I shoot them, the enemies are varied and react to being shot, it's pretty much what I expect from an id software game. The texture pop-in is kind of jarring at first, but after a while I stop noticing it. I think they could have done without the RPG elements, and being limited to switching between four weapons, while better than the two most games give you, is not what I would expect from the same company who created Doom and Quake.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Currently going through Yakuza 4 to try and get the last few Trophies I don't have. I really love this game, but I'm in that "post game random mini game Achievement/Trophy" portion that I usually just pass on games. The Pachinko or Mahjong Trophies will probably make me quit. At the moment trying to mod a weapon in every category. Then I'll need to get all of the Memos (sigh), and then it's the Platinum. Then I may go onto Yakuza 3, or get through Pokemon Conquest.

Good times to be had no matter which way I go, I reckon.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Beat Shank 2. I kinda feel bad saying the game is crap because it obviously tries very hard but it is. Crap. No inter-level saving (just checkpoints), repetitive button-mashing combat, 7 actively needed buttons in addition to movement. Beat the final boss, immediately uninstalled. Would probably have been more fun if I had a controlled and knew how to play with one. Then again, maybe not.

Beat Sam & Max ep. 1: Culture Shock. How the hell have these games been unplayed for so long? The dream sequence was brilliant. The rest of season 1 is installing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Hob_Gadling posted:

Beat Shank 2. I kinda feel bad saying the game is crap because it obviously tries very hard but it is. Crap. No inter-level saving (just checkpoints), repetitive button-mashing combat, 7 actively needed buttons in addition to movement. Beat the final boss, immediately uninstalled. Would probably have been more fun if I had a controlled and knew how to play with one. Then again, maybe not.

Beat Sam & Max ep. 1: Culture Shock. How the hell have these games been unplayed for so long? The dream sequence was brilliant. The rest of season 1 is installing.

I thought the first Shank was pretty good (haven't played 2 yet) but I did play with a controller.

If you liked the first episode of Sam & Max, you will hopefully have a great time with the series. I liked the first season and it only got better from there.

I think I'm nearing the end of Avadon: The Black Fortress. Can anyone who has beat it tell me how much is left once I kill Lord Carsta'Arl?