Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Looks like (in Lightroom 4.4 final) X-Trans RAW support was fixed in general with co-operating from Fuji. Just need my X100s to show up now. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Well... I took the plunge and bought the olympus e-pm2 with kit lens here in Tokyo. It essentially came out to 370 us dollars including tax which is god drat amazing compared to 500 new in the US.

This is my first non point and shoot. At first I was super excited but now sitting here typing this, I'm worried about buying a better strap. Actual camera bags rather than dollar store ones. I was already researching lenses but I'm now trying to justify that the money saved on the camera could be used to buy lenses.... Oh god... What did I just do to myself... :commissar:

I seriously considered buying the omd em5 in Japan which is around 900-950 new with lens compared to 1200 new in the states but the lack of warranty scared me. 370 dollar loss is punch-in-the-gut painful but with a 900 dollar loss, I would be near suicidal.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

lostleaf posted:

This is my first non point and shoot. At first I was super excited but now sitting here typing this, I'm worried about buying a better strap. Actual camera bags rather than dollar store ones. I was already researching lenses but I'm now trying to justify that the money saved on the camera could be used to buy lenses.... Oh god... What did I just do to myself... :commissar:

The first camera they give you should be free of charge. Would put this hobby on par with other drugs.

WindMinstrel
Jan 20, 2005
I'm a minstrel. Blow me.
So I'm looking at buying a MILC of some description, I've sort of narrowed down to the OM-D or a NEX-6 - both of which looks, on paper, to be awesome and near equivalent.

I have no lenses of any description.

Pricing is about the same, better warranty on the OM-D, weather sealing etc. But I just need some external validation.

I'm leaning towards the OM-D, anyone else been in the same basket? Thoughts?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

WindMinstrel posted:

Just get the OMD.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

alkanphel posted:

Just get the OMD.

It is exceeding my high expectations of it so far. Definitely try one to make sure you like the size and handling.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

OMD with 12-50 and 60mm macro lens - I will pull the trigger on that exact combo as soon as we move.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
XE1 owners: Do you happen to know if you could pair macro mode with reversal ring and lens for more MACRO!? I havent ordered any mount adapters yet for nikon/leica/LTM lenses yet and was wondering if one of you had tried that.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Nex 5R & 6 owners. Be sure to get the new app to add lens flares to your photos in camera!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp6oiUAl9gA

There is also one for doing XXXXXX-treeem motion shots. I'm still waiting on the Instagram app to get that authentic cell phone look.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Musket posted:

XE1 owners: Do you happen to know if you could pair macro mode with reversal ring and lens for more MACRO!? I havent ordered any mount adapters yet for nikon/leica/LTM lenses yet and was wondering if one of you had tried that.

Macro mode just limit the last bit of AF focus distance. I tried it with the kit zoom on both the wide end and the tele end. I didn't find you can focus closer with Macro mode on, which is wired. As far as I can tell, Macro mode on or off only basically optimize the focusing to either closer objects or further away objects.

Thanks to your question, I now discover XE1's silence mode (long press DISP) and menu lock mode (long press Menu).

Oh as far as your question, Macro mode obviously has nothing to do with MF lens. The camera just serve as a dumb sensor.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Bought a nex-5r today, http://db.tt/Gvb1T7QX it's going to be fun. Going to get a minolta adapter and a k mount adapter to go hog wild with

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
There's a white NEX-5N at my work's lost & found. :allears:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rexelation posted:

There's a white NEX-5N at my work's lost & found. :allears:

Ugh a white camera.

Are you sure it wasn't "lost" on purpose?

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Since all E mount lenses seem to be chromed, i sorta wish they'd had the silver nex, when i bought mine. Just so everything could've matched.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I actually hate the all-chrome thing that Sony has going on, which is why I'm actually really looking forward to the 20mm pancake, seeing as how it's not all chrome.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
My C3 is white, I picked it up used for a pretty good deal so didn't have a choice. While I think white C3s look better than white 5Ns I still hated how "girly" it looks every time I take it out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was actually joking about the white colour earlier, and I think a white camera would actually look pretty neat in a brown leather half-case :)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Funnily enough I've just been with someone with the Galaxy camera in a brown leather ever-ready case and I have to say that I was very jealous of it.

The case looks cool and makes it very easy to safely carry the camera and yet quickly use it.

The camera has a huuge screen on the back that makes it a joy to review/view images - complete with a very slick gallery function that scrolls using swipe.

All-in-all a very nice set up.

The pictures weren't much cop, but still, you can't have everything can you?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

WindMinstrel posted:

So I'm looking at buying a MILC of some description, I've sort of narrowed down to the OM-D or a NEX-6 - both of which looks, on paper, to be awesome and near equivalent.

I have no lenses of any description.

Pricing is about the same, better warranty on the OM-D, weather sealing etc. But I just need some external validation.

I was in the same boat, and was pretty set on the OM-D, which is probably a better camera in terms of features, user interface, and lens selection, but the absolutely beautiful electronic viewfinder built into the NEX-6 pushed me in that direction instead. Both are very good cameras, the Sony has some interface quirks. Try using both if you can.

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I was actually joking about the white colour earlier, and I think a white camera would actually look pretty neat in a brown leather half-case :)

I agree, but it just look so... feminine. Doesn't help that my girlfriend has a purse with similar colour scheme, although I'm getting an orange half case to show off my masculinity. :cool:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rexelation posted:

I agree, but it just look so... feminine. Doesn't help that my girlfriend has a purse with similar colour scheme, although I'm getting an orange half case to show off my masculinity. :cool:

I am not lying when I say Orange is my favourite colour and I have no less than three orange half cases watched on eBay for my black 5N.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

I am not lying when I say Orange is my favourite colour and I have no less than three orange half cases watched on eBay for my black 5N.

Orange is kind of a neutral color. Most of the orange color watches are male "sports" watches. The thing about the 5n is that the industrial design is dominated by the giant rear end chrome ring. It's actually alot thicker than the one on my NEX-3. If you don't plan to black out the ring, any camera case you pick you have to pick a color that work with the mount ring.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Come to Holland on April 30th. :haw:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Come to Holland on April 30th. :haw:

Believe you me, this is on my bucket list :)

whatever7 posted:

Orange is kind of a neutral color. Most of the orange color watches are male "sports" watches. The thing about the 5n is that the industrial design is dominated by the giant rear end chrome ring. It's actually alot thicker than the one on my NEX-3. If you don't plan to black out the ring, any camera case you pick you have to pick a color that work with the mount ring.

The chrome ring hasn't bothered me so far, mainly because my kind of goes with my small chrome Industar lens, but I think I will be blacking it out once I pick up either the Sigma 19mm or the Sony 20mm pancake.

Ksi
May 1, 2007
"Hasta la victoria siempre"
Anyone with the 18mm for the xe1-xpro 1? What are your thoughts on it? Currently have the 35mm but i've got a nice offer for one so i don't know if i should get it.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
How well do these cameras take video and how suited are they to it? People I know have been gushing about these types of cameras but as many are saying that they're low quality poo poo and that's not even in regards to video

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

They're actually really suited to video if you understand what you need in terms of lensing. You're not going to replace a 5Dmk3 or anything, but certain mirrorless cameras have been sought after as primary video platforms.

As for which, that is another discussion altogether. I think they'll all pretty much give you good to great quality of video, but if you want to excel then you might have to do more research in the video thread.

Certain NEX cameras have a nasty overheating bug though, and the 5N is basically unusable for video unless you use external sound recording equipment unless you send it to Sony to be retrofitted.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Ksi posted:

Anyone with the 18mm for the xe1-xpro 1? What are your thoughts on it? Currently have the 35mm but i've got a nice offer for one so i don't know if i should get it.

I have one and I think it's a good lens. It gets crapped on a lot, unfairly, just because it wasn't as great as the 35mm and 60mm lenses that came out at the same time. I recall one reviewer saying that it was Fuji's weakest lens and it was still superior to anything Sony had out at the time, so it's not bad at all. I like it a lot on my X-Pro 1.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The 18 has the disadvantage of the 14 and the 35 being so drat good, and the 18-55 being nearly as good. I like the small size, and if I didn't have the 18-55 I'd probably pick it up. RustedChrome put it rather nicely - it's the worst of a line of great lenses, which still makes it a good lens.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I read some where the 18-55 zoom is sharper than the XF 18mm. The 18 is of course smaller.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
I can say that the 18-55 is really as sharp at the wide end as I've ever needed it to be for landscapes. The 18mm has a much more attractive size, but I think owning both would be redundant unless you want a city walkabout camera and 28mm is your preferred focal length.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

nigga crab pollock posted:

How well do these cameras take video and how suited are they to it? People I know have been gushing about these types of cameras but as many are saying that they're low quality poo poo and that's not even in regards to video

The Panasonic GH2 and GH3 are very highly regarded as video cameras.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

nigga crab pollock posted:

The NEX-5N has some really notorious overheating issues. It won't do longer than 30m at a stretch, basically, then you have to give it a few minutes to cool back off. That said, the sensor is still loving amazing and if it's anything like the still mode then 3200 should produce very usable results.

It's not perfect, but given that I picked up the body for the equivalent of $200 I really can't complain. It beats the pants off the Zi-8 in terms of video quality and exposure accuracy. :shobon:

Martytoof posted:

Certain NEX cameras have a nasty overheating bug though, and the 5N is basically unusable for video unless you use external sound recording equipment unless you send it to Sony to be retrofitted.

Can you explain the sound thing? I haven't messed with it too much, just tried it out against my girlfriend's Zi-8.

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost
Heads up on the Nex 55-210mm if you are looking to snag one, apparently it's being discontinued in Target's system. My local one had it marked it down $100 which is cheaper than you can get one used. $244.99 is not a bad deal if you are looking for a little reach.

Saba fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 7, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Can you explain the sound thing? I haven't messed with it too much, just tried it out against my girlfriend's Zi-8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajvsPZyGaS8

And yes, this is inside the camera. This isn't like some loose neck strap split ring rattling against the body. Not my video, but I tested mine and it exhibits the same problem.

Sony will repair this under warranty, but quite frankly I don't shoot enough (any) video to make it worth sending away for.

I think they actually fixed this problem in later runs of the 5N so it's possible that yours might not have this problem at all.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 7, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know if the upcoming 20mm E-mount is OSS enabled?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know if the upcoming 20mm E-mount is OSS enabled?

You don't need it for a 20mm lens.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I dunno, wouldn't it be useful in low light situations?

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I don't think the 20mm pancake has OSS, it's not listed in the specs on Sony's website and the 16mm doesn't have OSS either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I dunno, wouldn't it be useful in low light situations?

It would indeed. The stock reply is that you don't need IS for wide lenses because you are only going to shoot landscapes like Ansel Adams on a tripod in daylight.