Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Kennel posted:

Great comments

To be fair, the IWOJIMA could probably handle Call of Duty 1, maybe even Call of Duty 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine
Did you grow up never talking to anyone xboxpants? Why do you talk like this?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Inspector_71 posted:

No it isn't. I don't think you understand how reviewing things works.

Reviews are purchasing advice. They need to reflect, as accurately as possible, a product that someone can buy. If you review software months before it is available it makes your review less likely to be accurate.

Which part of that do you disagree with?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

XboxPants posted:

Reviews are purchasing advice. They need to reflect, as accurately as possible, a product that someone can buy. If you review software months before it is available it makes your review less likely to be accurate.

60,000 people are gonna be getting this thing you "can't buy" in the next two months. I think they might want to know what they're in for.

EDIT:
vvvvvvvvvv Unlike Schrodinger's, when you open this particular box, you get only one result: disappointment. :cool:

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 7, 2013

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's a finished unit! It's a beta test for retail!

It's Schrödinger's Console!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Sankis posted:

Just don't review the Ouya 2 until April 2015 because that's when it really launches.

I hope they call it the TWOUYA or 2YA.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

JazzFlight posted:

60,000 people are gonna be getting this thing you "can't buy" in the next two months. I think they might want to know what they're in for.

They were dumb enough to pre-pay for it, Ouya doesn't care anymore.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

XboxPants posted:

The part where you apply:

XboxPants posted:

To the HADOKEN, a product which has been for sale for months, and is currently for sale.
http://shop.ouya.tv/
Right now, people can buy an OTATOP. The fact that they won't receive it for a month or so makes no difference.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

I agree, actually. I agree. That's why I said that in this unusual case, there is some merit to reviewing the product. They'd be interested to read about the OUYA and find out its faults. So there's a small justification for writing a review of the OUYA in its current state: Backers and other readers are curious.

So it's fun to read about, but it doesn't serve much practical purpose. The backers have already paid for it; even if they read that review and decide they don't want to buy an OUYA, it's too late for them now.

I Greyhound posted:

The part where you apply:

To the HADOKEN, a product which has been for sale for months, and is currently for sale.
http://shop.ouya.tv/
Right now, people can buy an OTATOP. The fact that they won't receive it for a month or so makes no difference.

Why doesn't that make a difference?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
So has anyone with official OOBLY stars and stripes actually come out and said that non-backer/"proper release" units will use different/less broken hardware?

Because out of all the bullshit I've read throughout this thread and the one prior, rewarding backers with unfinished "beta" boxes and then selling fixed versions for the same price to the 12 other people that want one a bit later is the worst.

^^
I think part of the conversation about reviews is saying that the point of a review is to review a thing slightly before the public go out and buy it so they can be informed before buying it. Like a review of Pokemon a few weeks before release or whatever. I know you said you're cool with this X-Pant, but the thinking is that now "it's baked, it's done", it's a good time to get reviews out to people that will buy one. It's down to the reviewers to know what Uhrman is going to make up five minutes into the future about beta units or what have you.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 7, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

No. In fact they've come out and said the exact opposite.

Even with that ignored, I don't know how people could believe otherwise. They literally just started manufacturing them. That'd give them 2 months to revise the hardware and line up manufacturing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

JazzFlight posted:

EDIT:
vvvvvvvvvv Unlike Schrodinger's, when you open this particular box, you get only one result: disappointment. :cool:

Actually, if you open it, take the board out, and put valuables in it, you get a nice safe since no one wants to steal an OUYA.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sankis posted:

They literally just started manufacturing them. That'd give them 2 months to revise the hardware and line up manufacturing.

So all the dev OUYAs and the ones shown off at the launch party (including the ones reviewed by PA and the Verge) are beta copies?

E: What I also mean to say is, it's fair and easy to say that reviewers shouldn't represent unfinished products as completed when they are evaluating them, but at this point I think it's reasonable for The Verge to believe that the copy they have is representative of the final product since it's something they got during the launch. What would compel OUYA inc to show off uncompleted products at their launch party?

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 7, 2013

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Sankis posted:

Even with that ignored, I don't know how people could believe otherwise. They literally just started manufacturing them. That'd give them 2 months to revise the hardware and line up manufacturing.

While this relieves me somewhat, it does make me worry for the OHNO community, so insistent as they are that everything will be okay.

Whoever wins, we lose.

e: It's all too much I just can't stop laughing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Sankis posted:

Yeah, I think it's totally practical to review hardware early. Like you say, it's not going to change much in such a short amount of time. I'm specifically talking about software.

I'll say it again to be clear: in the OUYA's case, the Verge review was helpful to people because it helped inform backers about what they were getting. It was too late to help them make a purchasing decision, but at least it lets them satisfy they're curiosity. It also totally made sense to review the hardware early.

But moving on from OUYA, it seems like some people here are saying they think it's totally fine to review software months before it is available to consumers. I have a simple question.

In what practical way does it better serve the reader to review software months before it's available, as opposed to when it becomes available to consumers?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

XboxPants posted:

In what practical way does it better serve the reader to review software months before it's available, as opposed to when it becomes available to consumers?

So that people who didn't back the kickstarter can make an informed decision on whether to buy those units secondhand? You saw those ebay listings for over three hundred dollars.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

XboxPants posted:

You're working from a flawed assumption: that it isn't available to consumers. It is. Shop.ouya.tv allows me to purchase an OUYA, 60k people are getting them after having paid money, how is this not "available"?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You're working from a flawed assumption: that it isn't available to consumers. It is. Shop.ouya.tv allows me to purchase an OUYA, 60k people are getting them after having paid money, how is this not "available"?

He's confusing "shipping/shipped" with "purchased."

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

If you want to get technical you could say they should state the review is for the Backer version and the retail may be different, but that's a seriously hollow caveat.

Yeah. Honestly I don't see why there should be any significant difference between the "backer" and retail units anyway. I was under the presumption that those who helped fund the kickstarter were to receive functional (or at least the equivalent standard to which OUYA holds itself) units, not, like, Dev Kit 2.0.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Beef Assistant posted:

Yeah. Honestly I don't see why there should be any significant difference between the "backer" and retail units anyway. I was under the presumption that those who helped fund the kickstarter were to receive functional (or at least the equivalent standard to which OUYA holds itself) units, not, like, Dev Kit 2.0.

Oh well they said this is an exclusive preview period which is obviously the same as saying "BETA DO NOT REVIEW!"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

He's confusing "shipping/shipped" with "purchased."

That's why I avoided the word "purchased". I was very careful to do so - instead, I used the word "available", which I felt was more like what you said, "shipped".

But, you're right, I'm having a really hard time with words like "released", "buy", and "purchase". I'm worried that if I say "the OUYA is not yet available for purchase" or "you can't actually buy one", people will argue with me since you can pre-order them.

For instance, a few pages ago I was talking about how I wish I had an OUYA so I could review games, but right now there's no way for me to actually purchase one since they're not released yet. I feel like my meaning is quite clear there, and that it makes sense to use "purchase" and "released" in that way.

But am I wrong? Is there a better way to phrase it? I just want to avoid semantic debates because I'm using words that don't mean what I think they mean.

If there is no way for me to pay money and receive an OUYA, does it really make sense to say that it is already "released"? If you can pre-order a product, is that the same thing as saying you can purchase it? I'm just trying to figure out what words I should use that people won't have a problem with.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Well, to be honest dude, people did pay money and they are receiving Ouyas. That's exactly what's happening. They made no indication that this was somehow incomplete as far as I can tell.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Well, to be honest dude, people did pay money and they are receiving Ouyas. That's exactly what's happening. They made no indication that this was somehow incomplete as far as I can tell.

Yeah, but that's not the current situation. Right now there's no way for me to pay money and get an OUYA except for the occasional units showing up on eBay. And most of the listings right now are for people that don't even have them yet.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So all the dev OUYAs and the ones shown off at the launch party (including the ones reviewed by PA and the Verge) are beta copies?

E: What I also mean to say is, it's fair and easy to say that reviewers shouldn't represent unfinished products as completed when they are evaluating them, but at this point I think it's reasonable for The Verge to believe that the copy they have is representative of the final product since it's something they got during the launch. What would compel OUYA inc to show off uncompleted products at their launch party?

I'm in definite agreement there, and that's another reason why the Verge & co reviews were relatively reasonable. OUYA should have been way, way clearer about the status of these devices if they didn't want them to be reviewed.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 7, 2013

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

XboxPants posted:

That's why I avoided the word "purchased". I was very careful to do so - instead, I used the word "available", which I felt was more like what you said, "shipped".

But, you're right, I'm having a really hard time with words like "released", "buy", and "purchase". I'm worried that if I say "the OUYA is not yet available for purchase" or "you can't actually buy one", people will argue with me since you can pre-order them.

You understand you are making up your own definitions for words at this point, right?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Think of it like this instead.

60,000 people pre-ordered a new console and then it sold out. Don't worry, you can be put on a waiting list and it will ship in 2 more months. Meanwhile, those first 60,000 will be getting theirs.
This thing should be reviewed the second the backers get it. They can't be expected to leave it in the closet for two months and wait for it to "bake" a little more. If this was a completely free closed beta test with an NDA, then it'd be different. These people spent money.

The comments on Destructoid's coverage of the goofy "don't review us yet" announcement are more level-headed than Techcrunch's ones.
http://www.destructoid.com/these-things-take-time-ouya-reacts-to-early-reviews-250969.phtml

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Inspector_71 posted:

You understand you are making up your own definitions for words at this point, right?

He's as good a spin-marketing man as I've ever seen. Julie Uhlnar, you need him on your team.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Think of it like this instead.

60,000 people pre-ordered a new console and then it sold out. Don't worry, you can be put on a waiting list and it will ship in 2 more months. Meanwhile, those first 60,000 will be getting theirs.
This thing should be reviewed the second the backers get it. They can't be expected to leave it in the closet for two months and wait for it to "bake" a little more. If this was a completely free closed beta test with an NDA, then it'd be different. These people spent money.

This makes sense, I can completely agree with all of this. From now on, I'll probably just quote your post if my thoughts about the validity of the "early" reviews come up again. Thank you for trying to help me think of those reviews in a different light; you have succeeded.

Inspector_71 posted:

I was just trying to ask if that's what "purchase" meant. :smith: What is the word, then, for "order and acquire something"? I know it's stupid to argue about words, but people are telling me I can't use the word "purchase" to refer to this. Rather than argue about the definition of the word, I'd rather just find one everyone can agree on. So what word can I use?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

So what word can I use?

I think you should stop using words at all

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
XboxPants I don't see an answer to this:

MrBims posted:

So that people who didn't back the kickstarter can make an informed decision on whether to buy those units secondhand? You saw those ebay listings for over three hundred dollars.

Edit: Oh, well, there is also this post below. Unless they have somehow have some block set up after you log in through PayPal, which would be completely unprecedented, then that process to order takes you all the way.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2013

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, but that's not the current situation. Right now there's no way for me to pay money and get an OUYA except for the occasional units showing up on eBay. And most of the listings right now are for people that don't even have them yet.
You can pay money now, directly to Ouya. Based on the schedule they laid out, doing so right now may get someone an Ouya before XboxPants gets one.
Right now at https://www.ouya.tv

And so on. Pay money, get Ouya.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Conclusions posted:

Google "microconsole" and you find another article, written by the same guy. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184465/2013_The_year_of_the_microconsole.php

He's apparently coined the term (despite OnLive getting to it first), got his blog post republished a few times, and is milking it for all its worth.

Well how convenient that he can make up rules for what a "microconsole" is or is not as he goes along to justify his sunk cost.
Can I have microconsoles at my microbrewery?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

At what point did it become acceptable to say that the console is not released? How can anybody look at the kick starter campaign and not think that the console is out (or done or baked, which you would have to be to think this is going well...)? It is a massive bait and switch.

Looking back at their initial video, I thought that it was a great premise at the time. The video also heavily implied it was something that it wasn't. Highly produced marketing video making them look like they were much further ahead.

The console is released. The operating system is released. The OS and firmware may be patched just like most games these days are. IT'S loving RELEASED. Stop deluding yourself unless you need to make yourself feel better by doing it. Next thing you'll tell me is that we have always been at war with Eurasia.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

bagina posted:

At what point did it become acceptable to say that the console is not released?

After it got some bad reviews.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

XboxPants posted:

Oh, you're going to argue semantics.

Let me phrase it like this, then: it's generally a bad practice to review software months before people can actually get it.

If you don't want people reviewing your software, you don't send it out to the media. If you absolutely have to, you put up giant "THIS SOFTWARE IS IN DEVELOPMENT" warning every time the system boots up.

e:

XboxPants posted:

The idea that somehow there's going to be a huge turnaround in ... six weeks, I think? with the software. No matter what kind of kokoro power purity wish people make upon an aluminium star, it's not reasonable to think that everything's going to wind up well with what we've seen so far.

If you throw a dead cat off a high rise, it theoretically could fly away, but realistically it's not going to change trajectory. Same here.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 7, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

raditts posted:

Well how convenient that he can make up rules for what a "microconsole" is or is not as he goes along to justify his sunk cost.
Can I have microconsoles at my microbrewery?

Well what microconsole actually means is " not actually a console" sooo... he's accurate about it being a microconsole I'd say.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

MrBims posted:

XboxPants I don't see an answer to this:
[buying units secondhand]

Yeah, that, along with deciding whether to sell your system on eBay, is another reason it makes sense to review the OUYA right now. But it's really just an edge case and I think JazzFlight's answer is better.

bagina posted:

At what point did it become acceptable to say that the console is not released? How can anybody look at the kick starter campaign and not think that the console is out (or done or baked, which you would have to be to think this is going well...)? It is a massive bait and switch.

Looking back at their initial video, I thought that it was a great premise at the time. The video also heavily implied it was something that it wasn't. Highly produced marketing video making them look like they were much further ahead.

The console is released. The operating system is released. The OS and firmware may be patched just like most games these days are. IT'S loving RELEASED. Stop deluding yourself unless you need to make yourself feel better by doing it. Next thing you'll tell me is that we have always been at war with Eurasia.

I think the word I should use in this case, instead of "released", is "available". It's released, and thus open to any level of criticism. It's just not available because of a long wait list.

boo_radley posted:

If you don't want people reviewing your software, you don't send it out to the media. If you absolutely have to, you put up giant "THIS SOFTWARE IS IN DEVELOPMENT" warning every time the system boots up.

If you're implying that they sent out review units to media, that didn't actually happen, the reviews were just Kickstarter units. But that's a small detail; JazzFlight's point still holds, and it still made sense to review the systems.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 7, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

XboxPants posted:

If you're implying that they sent out review units to media, that didn't actually happen, the reviews were just Kickstarter units. But that's a small detail; JazzFlight's point still holds, and it still made sense to review the systems.
via Techcrunch's article

quote:

So let’s be upfront about a couple of things.

First, I went to the OUYA party at GDC. Second, I also was invited to the pre-dinner beforehand. Third, OUYA gave me one of the machines at the party, along with a nice pair of wireless headphones and a bag. Fourth, I have subsequently set the machine up in our office at Jawfish and have been playing some games on it. Fifth, I am not, nor have ever claimed to be, any kind of professional journalist or reviewer. I’m a game designer most of the time and a blogger the rest.
How does that not sound like giving out review units to people in the media invited to your launch party?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tarranon posted:

What exactly are they hoping modders and devs do with the Ouya? Why is everyone saying "Well, sure it sucks now, but think about what people might do...in the future!"

What will people do with it in the future? We've known the Ouya's specs for a year+ now, and in that time no one has come forward with any even remotely ambitious plans. I haven't even heard a talented modder go so far as to say "Well, the Ouya is poo poo and I can't be bothered to deal with it, but here's something I'd think would be kind of neat to do with it if it weren't a piece of poo poo."

I'm more curious as to what they think people will do to take advantage of the OPEN DESIGN (meaning you can take out the screws and OPEN this little trash can to get at the little SoC inside).

Waffleman_ posted:

Actually, if you open it, take the board out, and put valuables in it, you get a nice safe since no one wants to steal an OUYA.

There's always money in the BANOUYA STAND.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zylche posted:

via Techcrunch's article
How does that not sound like giving out review units to people in the media invited to your launch party?

You're right. I was thinking that the party was just for backers, but they totally did invite press, and then give them systems. No way around that.

PoshAlligator posted:

I think part of the conversation about reviews is saying that the point of a review is to review a thing slightly before the public go out and buy it so they can be informed before buying it. Like a review of Pokemon a few weeks before release or whatever.

Before I forget, I also wanted to say that even though this is a common practice, it's still something you have to be careful with. Something like Pokemon is fine, but if it's software that can be updated - like SimCity - it's best to wait until release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

XboxPants posted:

I'm not implying poo poo: If you send out software before it's ready -- you warn people at every opportunity. Media reviewers, crustbeards, whatever. THIS IS NOT PRODUCTION SOFTWARE. Doesn't matter if you're showing your mother or your husband or your realdoll. THIS IS NOT PRODUCTION SOFTWARE.

• Locked thread