Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Gonna take a wild guess that the green/brown (weird colour) area has a larger population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Gonna take a wild guess that the green/brown (weird colour) area has a larger population.

Well only about 100% of the population or something like that. It's a politically loaded map from a blog post against mandatory Swedish.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Finland has two "main" official languages (there's more than two but I won't get into that now), Finnish and Swedish. Swedish is mandatory for every Finnish-speaking Finn at school and a lot of people are pissed off about that. Here's a map where red means a municipality with more Russian-speakers than Swedish-speakers and green means more Swedish-Speakers than Russian-speakers. White means "no information". Russian isn't an official language in Finland, by the way.

So is there not a green on the map intentionally?

e:f,b

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Looks green to me, then again my VDU is an Asus.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Finns just operate with a different spectrum of visible light.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Looks green to me, then again my VDU is an Asus.

I was wondering if I've been color blind my entire life and only discovering it now at 33, because all I see on that map are red, white, and beige.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
This is from Wikipedia, but it's related to that Finnish map.

Distribution of the Russian language in Estonia according to data from the 2000 Estonian census.

The situation in Estonia is quite different from Finland, but I guess one general point is that no country in the EU will accept Russian as an official language. There was a referendum in Latvia some months ago and the result was, as expected, against it.
Also, this map does have green :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I knew that it wasn't used until long after the treaty, but I was always under the impression that it was something used by the Spanish/Portuguese successor states as a "we have a common history dating back to Papal precedent, unlike those Dutch/English/French guys in the North and Guayanas, and should express solidarity", instead of something constructed by France to muscle in on that sphere. Makes sense given French involvement in that era though.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Julio Lopez posted:

If you value your life, don't visit America if you are non-white. There are people with machine guns standing at every corner looking to gun down Blacks and Muslims.

Life for minorities is hell in America. I can only wish that we will one day be as tolerant and enlightened toward minorities as your country.

No need to be angry and passive-aggressive about it, I was just saying how it looks like from here and not insulting your beloved country v:shobon:v
And about tolerance, the most popular politician here is a palestinian born in Syria, so at least there's that.
(Sorry about the derail)

Going back on track, I wish we still had a border with Poland

Don't really want back Basarabia or whatever, but southern Dobrogea would be nice (or at least the coastal part, bulgarians have more beaches than they need anyway and ours are crowded as heck)

This one is surreal to me, how can there be countries out there without paid maternity leave. Like what kind of people think that's normal and acceptable.

Unemployment in the EU, overall on the right and youth on the left

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

3peat posted:

This one is surreal to me, how can there be countries out there without paid maternity leave. Like what kind of people think that's normal and acceptable.

That map might be a little outdated or just inaccurate since Australia has a paid parental leave system.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Spain has an unemployment rate of 55.5% ?! :psyduck: I knew it was bad, but I never thought it was that bad.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Spain has an unemployment rate of 55.5% ?! :psyduck: I knew it was bad, but I never thought it was that bad.

Youth unemployment rate of 55.5% yes.

Lot of angry young people in Europe these days with a lot of free time. Not dangerous at all.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Based on the most recent US labour report, you can see the US has practically a split labour market: Younger and older than 55.

The lesson is to be well established in your job already.

From Via Media/Zero Hedge

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheIllestVillain posted:

That map might be a little outdated or just inaccurate since Australia has a paid parental leave system.

Also California does for both parents.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

edit: oh there were many more posts

Modest Mao fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 7, 2013

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

3peat posted:

I was curious why Romania would be dangerous so I went to the website, and it shows up as green to me for some reason?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/travel-warnings/

It's funny if it wasn't considered safe cause most foreign expats or tourists who come here say we're safer than most of western europe, in that you can walk around alone at night almost anywhere without problems and stuff like that. On the other hand It's weird that America is "safe" since almost every week I see some news about policemen there killing people because their black or "look muslim", they have a lot of guns around and way more crime than us. Here nobody got guns and I love it that way, I'd be scared shitless to go to america cause I'd spend all my time worrying that some psycho gonna pull out a gun and shoot me cause I look brown or whatever.

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as Germans when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ia%C8%99i_pogrom

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

menino posted:

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as Germans when it comes to racial politics.

Not to mention that when you have a 16:1 disparity between US population and Romanian population, you'd expect to hear about ______ every week from America even if it only happens 3-4 times a year in Romania.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

Riso posted:

Based on the most recent US labour report, you can see the US has practically a split labour market: Younger and older than 55.

Is that actually comparing like with like though? Between 16 and 55 is going to be the bulk of the time anyone spends in employment, assuming most people will have retired by 65 or so. There won't be as many people over 55 still looking for work.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

menino posted:

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as the Americans when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Alternatively:

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as Israelis when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Palestinian_exodus

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are we having a nationalist dick-wave about racial persecution? :psyduck:

"Portugal isn't a small country"

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Mans posted:

Portugal is standing up to its masters.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Riso posted:

From Via Media/Zero Hedge

From the second graph, it seems to me that the people who have the most reason to bitch are Generation X-ers (red and yellow lines). They should be in their prime earning years right now, but their labor force participation keeps going down.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Mans posted:

Are we having a nationalist dick-wave about racial persecution? :psyduck:

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

NewtGoongrich posted:

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as the Americans when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Alternatively:

It's pretty easy to have good internal race relations when you just kill the ones you don't like. Romanians have about as much moral authority as Israelis when it comes to racial politics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Palestinian_exodus

No argument here.

Map:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's so distorted I can't really make out the countries at all :(

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Except for Afghanistan. That one's clear.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:france:

All it misses is Adélie Land, the French claim in Antarctica.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Somalia and SE asia are pretty clear too.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's so distorted I can't really make out the countries at all :(

Adghanistan, Somalia, Columbia, Cambodia (basically)

But yeah I hate those super distorted maps.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Well the distortion is kind of the point, it would just help a lot if the names of countries were on the map.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Adghanistan, Somalia, Columbia, Cambodia (basically)

That white blot looks like Sri Lanka, also below egypt Sudan/South Sudan are sort of also exploded, do these count or is it Somalia dragging east africa or something?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well the distortion is kind of the point, it would just help a lot if the names of countries were on the map.

Yeah I tried to find a labeled one but couldn't. It's not the best map, I admit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guess we could just call up Benjamin Hennig and ask for one.

3peat
May 6, 2010

menino posted:

I'm far from defending Antonescu or the Iron Guard as they are a huge stain on our history but there is a little nuance to this

quote:

The Jewish population in the Old Kingdom, numbering between 300,000 and 400,000 people, survived the Holocaust almost intact.[345] Reflecting on this fact, Lucian Boia noted that Antonescu could not "decently" be viewed as a rescuer of Jews, but that there still is a fundamental difference between the effects of his rule and those of Hitler's, concluding that the overall picture is not "completely dark."[346] For Dennis Deletant, this situation is a "major paradox" of Antonescu's time in power: "more Jews survived under [Antonescu's] rule than in any other country within Axis Europe."[120] American historian of Romania William O. Oldson views Antonescu's policies as characterized by "violence, inconsistency and inanity",[347] but places them in the wider context of local antisemitism, noting some ideological exceptions from their respective European counterparts. These traits, he argues, became "providential" for the more assimilated Jewish communities of the Old Romanian Kingdom, while exposing Jews perceived as foreign.[348] Discussing Antonescu's policy of ethnic cleansing, Polonksy and Mihlic note: "[it] raises important questions about the thin line between the desire to expel an unwanted minority and a small-scale genocidal project under sanctioned conditions."[343] American military historian Gerhard L. Weinberg made reference to the Antonescu regime's "slaughter of large number of Jews in the areas ceded to the Soviet Union in 1940 when those areas were retaken in 1941 as well as in [...] Transnistria", but commented: "the government of Marshal Ion Antonescu preferred to rob and persecute Jews [from Romania]; the government would not turn them over to the Germans for killing."[321]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ion_Antonescu#Overall_death_toll_and_particularities

For the reason why Antonescu refused to turn over the jews from the old kingdom to the germans and they remained mostly unharmed, I don't think there's a definite answer. One wacky theory is that he heard the germans were treating the romanian jews in Transylvania worse than the hungarian jews so he felt personally insulted; the real reason more likely is that he realized pretty early Hitler is gonna be defeated so he wanted a bargaining chip, and also he was extorting protection money from local jews. Another probable factor is that the most antisemitic faction in Romania, the Iron Guard, had been purged by Antonescu pretty early in the war.
Those Jews who escaped ended up emigrating to Israel after the war or being sold by the communist regime to the israelis (just how the large german minority in Transylvania ended up being sold to west Germany). There being very few jews left is probably one of the reasons there's very little antisemitism here today, as opposed to Hungary for example where it's all the rage. On the other hand the mainstream public, while not antisemitic, doesn't really know or care about Romania's role in the holocaust; maybe that's gonna change in time, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Fizzil posted:

That white blot looks like Sri Lanka, also below egypt Sudan/South Sudan are sort of also exploded, do these count or is it Somalia dragging east africa or something?

There's also Angola west of what I assume are Somalia, Sudan and South Sudan. I remember reading years ago that the population which had been pushed to the coast by the civil war had trouble returning to the inland as it was filled with landmines, and that was a big factor in the failure to get agriculture back on track. An interesting fact is that the "pro-western" rebel faction UNITA, which was responsible for the majority of said land mines, had purchased those land mines with american money as it had a huge fan in the american republican party which gave them a ton of money and helped them train.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

menino posted:

No argument here.

Map:

Who the hell is that mauve-ish country in Europe? Slovenia? Germany?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kurtofan posted:

:france:

All it misses is Adélie Land, the French claim in Antarctica.

Oh did you know that thanks to having so much oversea territories France has the second largest exclusive economic zone? Oh whats an economic zone? Here let me tell you all about exclusive economic zones.

All world wide EEZ claims and the first, second and third largest EEZ areas.

So whet the gently caress is an EEZ? In the most basic term its a zone extending 200 Nautical Miles away from a nation coastline where they lay a claim to all the natural resources with in said zone. So whats so political about these?

Disputes, I mean look at this loving hot mess. With with disputes like theese comes how to enact the law can be quite loving tricky.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mister Adequate posted:

Who the hell is that mauve-ish country in Europe? Slovenia? Germany?

Seems to be Germany

http://www.the-monitor.org/index.php/publications/display?url=cmm/2011/maps/casualties.html

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ah thanks for that. Must be old WW2 munitions or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mister Adequate posted:

Ah thanks for that. Must be old WW2 munitions or something.

Yep, checked their source and they all were result of a single incident http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/2010/06/20106213138298153.html