Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

scripterror posted:

So it wasn't county, it was the brig. LTJG blew past the security checkpoint on his way to DTP, guess he thought he didn't have to stop. He was wrong.

One of those, I'm an officer I can do what I want situations I see. You'd think they'd learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not near as good a story, but still a great one nevertheless. I always love hearing about gate guards tackling an O-6 or something.

Yeah I was hoping for something involving alcohol or a belligerent interaction with local law. I'm pretty disappointed, but then that's most days here.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
You alpha track Scripterror? If so you poor bastard.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

I don't know if he is, but I am and it blows. It really puts a damper on my midweek drinking.(not that I don't do it, I'm just sore when I wake up at 530 for PT)

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006
As far as officers thinking they can do whatever they want, there is still nothing that beats the NY NPTU officer student who used to drive bulldozers for a living. Well, he got drunk, and to prove it to his buddys, stole a dozer and flattened half a dozen yards. I don't think that has anything to do with his being an officer, but more to do with him being awesome.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
When I heard that story it was a Bobcat and he wound up getting it stuck in a field at Skidmore.

Sacrilage
Feb 11, 2012

It will burn the eyes.

Noeland posted:

As far as officers thinking they can do whatever they want, there is still nothing that beats the NY NPTU officer student who used to drive bulldozers for a living. Well, he got drunk, and to prove it to his buddys, stole a dozer and flattened half a dozen yards. I don't think that has anything to do with his being an officer, but more to do with him being awesome.

Totally worth proving. Any life outside NNP is a gem that must be coveted and polished from time to time.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

camino posted:

When I heard that story it was a Bobcat and he wound up getting it stuck in a field at Skidmore.

I do remember Skidmore being involved. Funny things involving sailors always happen at Skidmore, kinda like my old roommate who had to run naked from some girls boyfriend who just decided to stop by.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
so
many
duis

Edit: our section had its.. 5th? 6th DUI, when we were on a 4day. I was hiking in an area with no cell phone service, found out when I returned to civilization to pick up people from the train station.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Ryand-Smith posted:

so
many
duis

Edit: our section had its.. 5th? 6th DUI, when we were on a 4day. I was hiking in an area with no cell phone service, found out when I returned to civilization to pick up people from the train station.

Grad hold? I'm a month away.
E: what job did you get?

1337_ScriptKiddie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 7, 2013

scripterror
Sep 6, 2011

Nap Ghost

Still in A-School until June. Is there anything you can control about what track you end up on in power school or are you just stuck with what they give you?

I have a feeling I know the answer already but asking anyway.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

scripterror posted:

Still in A-School until June. Is there anything you can control about what track you end up on in power school or are you just stuck with what they give you?

You're stuck with what you're given. If you class up in July, you should be charlie track. If you miss the first one, delta track. Delta is essentially "here's a bunch of rope try not to hang yourself".

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

scripterror posted:

No control over what track you end up in really. Its just whatever track they happen to be starting when you're coming off of t-track. I think there mostly the same though except for alpha track which is the worst.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Grad hold? I'm a month away.
E: what job did you get?

Uh, I am in prototype. I have a month or so left, the real navy is so close.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Supposedly leaving prototype soon after 35 weeks.

I long ago stopped caring about everything except treasuring my time at home, and got pretty good at doing what I was told and flying under the radar otherwise. Hopefully that works in the fleet for the <4 years I have left.

I excelled in A school and power school, and felt pretty good about my life choices, but something about prototype just flipped a switch in me after about 12 weeks, and then it just never ended.

Any advice for showing up at my boat? I'm extremely mediocre at this job in most respects and just awful in the rest, but I have a good sense of humor. Unfortunately, everything I try to fix breaks forever.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Xalidur posted:

I excelled in A school and power school, and felt pretty good about my life choices, but something about prototype just flipped a switch in me after about 12 weeks

Guessing you weren't on high tac hours at nnptc. I learned I made terrible life choices sooner due to them.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Xalidur posted:

Supposedly leaving prototype soon after 35 weeks.

I long ago stopped caring about everything except treasuring my time at home, and got pretty good at doing what I was told and flying under the radar otherwise. Hopefully that works in the fleet for the <4 years I have left.

I excelled in A school and power school, and felt pretty good about my life choices, but something about prototype just flipped a switch in me after about 12 weeks, and then it just never ended.

Any advice for showing up at my boat? I'm extremely mediocre at this job in most respects and just awful in the rest, but I have a good sense of humor. Unfortunately, everything I try to fix breaks forever.

Down the river if youre serious across the tracks if not
Don't confuse the two

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Guessing you weren't on high tac hours at nnptc. I learned I made terrible life choices sooner due to them.

35-5 club, checking in

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

KetTarma posted:

Down the river if youre serious across the tracks if not
Don't confuse the two

It's not THAT bad, just kinda lame.

Also like many other nukes in my class in this robust economy of ours, I have a family to support so that really isn't an option. Hence the solicitation of tips with respect to, "hey, I suck at this and also don't like it, how can I not be terrible in the fleet?" Not exactly planning on any kind of career advancement or putting in 150%, but I'd prefer not to be a waste of space.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Be prepared to put in more hours than you currently believe humanly possible.

Seriously.

If it comes down to studying for quals after a 16 hour work day, so be it. If you're not smart enough to stand watch by yourself, there are ways of correcting that. None of them are particularly pleasant.

Judging by your post, you're going to a submarine. You will be one of a half dozen people that are responsible for a certain aspect of a submarine's operations. That boat will carry out those operations. Saying that you're not smart enough to figure it out just means you will sit there staring at the problem until you do figure it out. The nature of your career field does not permit giving up.

You can always replace lack of personnel or lack of ability with more manhours. That might not make sense but it is the motto of the fleet.

If one of my newly reported dudes came to me and said "I am stupid and generally unmotivated, what do I do?" during his check-in, I would say much the same thing. Come to think of it, I've said it plenty of times. Generally, people figure it out. I have had to flush a few people though both as an instructor in the pipeline and as a supervisor in the fleet. It negatively effects everyone when that happens though.

You've been trained to at least be trainable. Since you didn't wash out of the pipeline, you can make it through the rest of your tour.

Show up to your sub with a good attitude and be willing to throw yourself into your work and you'll be fine. It sucks, no one expects you to like it, but they still expect you to get it done. That's what we do.

If not, you might consider the sad panda chit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Stand U/Is and pay attention. Even if they make you crank, get U/Is in where you can.

Volunteer to do maintenance items under supervision. I forget what rate you said you were, RC div maintenance is literally one guy reading a worksheet or book, telling another guy "flip this switch" and then the other guy points at the switch, motions as if he's flipping the switch, waits for the other guy to shout "no!" if it's the wrong switch, if not then he flips the switch, says "the switch is flipped" at which point either the reader makes a notation that the switch was flipped or they both initial a sheet recording so. E and M div maintenance is a little less structured but it's still learnable easy if the guy teaching you isn't constantly cutting corners.

Speaking of cutting corners, don't. Follow procedures. Don't think "Hey, I know how to start this thing up" when you don't and your forget a coolant valve or something. Slow and easy wins the race, get the book out and don't feel bad about following it. Your division can point out where the book says do A then B then C but it works better to do A and C at the same time and then B when it's ready. Being a sloppy fuckup and breaking poo poo when you're junior is a great way to get pegged as the guy who gets to clean carbon out of the MGs your entire tour.

Don't gently caress off just because you think you have x months to qual y. If you need the time, you have the time and then some. The more you bust your hump underway the more the LPO/chief will make sure you go ashore on liberty ports etc (if they're not pieces of crap.)

Basically don't be a shitbird. You should know by now what this means and that it doesn't have poo poo to do with keeping your boots polished and your uniform nice. This advice should sound a lot like advice given on how to get through prototype, and there's a reason.

And don't worry, the fleet is well accustomed to getting dudes with no special aptitude for the job who are already burned out. It's like 9 out of 10 new guys. Just be chill and don't panic.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm a sub vol, but I'm not sure where I'm going yet (no orders). Maybe that contextualizes my emopost a bit better, in the sense that I got through prototype in part by keeping things on the down-low (some members of my crew just realized I was on their crew in the last couple of weeks), but obviously that isn't going to be an option in an at-sea division. I expect people to realize pretty quickly that I only made it this far because I'm good at staying out of trouble but not particularly good at anything else.

I don't have a problem maintaining/faking a relatively upbeat attitude at work and would definitely never tell anyone at my command that I was unmotivated or allow it to be excessively obvious (other than by the fact that I'm doing my 3.75 years and then getting out). The solution to everything being 16-hour days sounds pretty awful, but I guess I sort of knew that was coming.

Here's hoping you're right about the trainable part. As is, I can stand an okay watch but maintenance pretty much goes better the further away I am from it.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

And don't worry, the fleet is well accustomed to getting dudes with no special aptitude for the job who are already burned out. It's like 9 out of 10 new guys. Just be chill and don't panic.

Well that's good news. Thanks! I'll try.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Xalidur posted:

It's not THAT bad, just kinda lame.

Also like many other nukes in my class in this robust economy of ours, I have a family to support so that really isn't an option. Hence the solicitation of tips with respect to, "hey, I suck at this and also don't like it, how can I not be terrible in the fleet?" Not exactly planning on any kind of career advancement or putting in 150%, but I'd prefer not to be a waste of space.

I know what you mean. I'm 3 months into prototype and I'm pretty burned out on the whole thing. Got a long weekend coming up but I've gotta come in anyway a couple of days to get stuff done they've been bugging me about.

Thing that bugs me is that there's just no structure in this place. After almost 2 years of getting a schedule planned out it's a pain to have to pick what priorities they want me to focus on that particular week.

When are you supposed to find out where your going it should be soon right?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

gurragadon posted:

I know what you mean. I'm 3 months into prototype and I'm pretty burned out on the whole thing. Got a long weekend coming up but I've gotta come in anyway a couple of days to get stuff done they've been bugging me about.

Thing that bugs me is that there's just no structure in this place. After almost 2 years of getting a schedule planned out it's a pain to have to pick what priorities they want me to focus on that particular week.

When are you supposed to find out where your going it should be soon right?

I should know something by the end of this weekend, but that's not guaranteed. It's particularly annoying because my wife has a great job and wants to give a proper 2-weeks notice, but we don't know any details.

I probably don't need to tell you this after 3 months, but don't go in during your time off unless you have a concrete plan. Time off is precious and as long as you're staying on the curve (ish) and passing tests and watches, there's not much anyone can/will do to make things harder than they already are. I got stuck in prototype for 9 months, and totally forgetting about it during days off was what kept me fueled.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Xalidur posted:

I should know something by the end of this weekend, but that's not guaranteed. It's particularly annoying because my wife has a great job and wants to give a proper 2-weeks notice, but we don't know any details.

I probably don't need to tell you this after 3 months, but don't go in during your time off unless you have a concrete plan. Time off is precious and as long as you're staying on the curve (ish) and passing tests and watches, there's not much anyone can/will do to make things harder than they already are. I got stuck in prototype for 9 months, and totally forgetting about it during days off was what kept me fueled.

Yeah I know what you mean. Threatening me with a seven or whatever they call it over observes of all things go figure. Bummer you got stuck here for 9 months that sounds pretty bad. Luckily I had all my hold back in South Carolina which was awesome.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
If you're allowed to make small annotations in your qual cards (not forge signatures, obviously), then one of the first things you should do is make little marks on your BEQ qual for what is a prerequisite for whatever watch (for example, drain system might be a prereq for rover, so you write down 'srw' next to the drain system checkout). Do this for your preliminary in port and at sea watch station, and attack those quals. Make sure when you get your qual cards you also get your maintenance worker quals, and tagout quals (if applicable) as well as craftsman if you are in the Machinery division.

It's good to be the 'under the radar' type, especially if you make good progress while doing so. When in doubt, just hang out with your sea dad. If he's a poo poo bag, hang out with the guy who seems to get the most done in the division and ask questions about what he's doing without interfering too much.

People notice if you help out a lot, and they also notice if you work hard on qualifications, you have to find a balance, and this usually means staying on board all the god damned time. Don't be afraid to approach people for checkouts (draw a basic one-line diagram ten times, hope you remember most of it, go for the checkout), but usually you should be bothering people who aren't busy or are on watch (SRW isn't a workshield usually).

And finally, there's no confidants on a submarine, don't talk poo poo about anyone ever, even if everyone around you does. And don't be an insufferable know-it-all.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Oh yeah, if you have some sort of squadron indoc period or something like that milk it for what its worth, don't be begging to go to the boat. I got the best liberty ever and after my boat came in (golf courses in Connecticut ain't bad) it was like two weeks before they were asking 'Uhhhh... Where's Professor Butt?'.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I just want to put this out there for future prototype kiddies in case someone misinterprets the above info:

DO NOT WRITE NOTES IN YOUR PROTOTYPE QUAL CARD OR YOU WILL HAVE A METRIC TON OF WORK TO DO

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

Ok, so wrt prototype instructor.

One instructor in our section goes on a date, then goes with college kids and gets very very drunk, drives the WRONG WAY on caroline street, and gets pulled over by the cops. He is so drunk he manages to get the local police to call the navy to get him out of drunk jail. Full penalties at mast (and the public stuff was in the local newspaper, Saratoga yay).

Jesus christ what else can go wrong on 4 days?

And gently caress you South Carolina people, 35 weeks?! gently caress you all I will be done at 23ish, how the gently caress can you not get poo poo done (did your plant explode) in 24 weeks?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Ryand-Smith posted:

One instructor in our section goes on a date, then goes with college kids and gets very very drunk, drives the WRONG WAY on caroline street, and gets pulled over by the cops. He is so drunk he manages to get the local police to call the navy to get him out of drunk jail. Full penalties at mast (and the public stuff was in the local newspaper, Saratoga yay).

And gently caress you South Carolina people, 35 weeks?! gently caress you all I will be done at 23ish, how the gently caress can you not get poo poo done (did your plant explode) in 24 weeks?

Can't go into the details here, but there were various issues with both MTSes at SC. "Can't do anything but study for 2 months" type issues.

It's entirely out of our hands - no one in my class has orders yet, while several people in our junior class already got their orders and left. Weird situation.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
I went on a training course where we had an ex US navy guy who served on boomers. The training course was ultimately dull but his navy stories were far more entertaining.

Now he said when they were pulling into port once and they forgot to open the hatches to vent the compressed air that launches the nukes. This caused everyones ears and noses to bleed due to the sudden increase in pressure on board. Any truth to the story or was he full of crap?

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

Ryand-Smith posted:

Yeah, they called in EVERYONE for the public mast. It wasn't really a big thing. I was expecting them to lecture us about something, but the CO came in, issued the punishment, and left. Guy got the usual punishment. Oh well. I always ask my students if they are drinking on the weekend and if they get stuck or in trouble, to call me or the wife. BECAUSE THAT'S DECKPLATE LEADERSHIP!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

I went on a training course where we had an ex US navy guy who served on boomers. The training course was ultimately dull but his navy stories were far more entertaining.

Now he said when they were pulling into port once and they forgot to open the hatches to vent the compressed air that launches the nukes. This caused everyones ears and noses to bleed due to the sudden increase in pressure on board. Any truth to the story or was he full of crap?

One of my friends was knocked unconscious by an air manifold rupture. I'm not sure about if what you specifically said is possible but rapid pressure transients loving up the human body is definitely a thing.

I have many fond memories of my ears popping everytime someone went through a hatch. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I believe the rule is it takes a half a psi pressure change to knock a man out. Basically think of the surface area of your chest in square inches (figure at least 200) x 0.5 and think of that (100lb or more) weight smacking you in the chest. It's obviously not that simple, don't sperg it up, but it gives the basic idea.

Compartments are large and it takes a lot of compressed air to change pressure. Lord knows we vented high-pressure air into people spaces more than once (and a couple times were my fault, what genius gave HPAC operation to the reactor technician) but other than being louder than all bejesus it wasn't harmful since the volume released was low.

I don't know much about a boomer's missile compartment but the best explanation is that they inadvertently pressurized the space and then rapidly depressurized (by opening the hatch or a vent valve or something) which would pop blood vessels, make you blush, nosebleeds etc. It's a strange one though because at least on a fast boat you'd need more than a few things messed up to be able to do that in that situation.

Yan Bao Qin
Jun 18, 2008

Ryand-Smith posted:

Holy poo poo, you're in my section. I'm the fat Asian RC div-er instructor. Remember, the 4 day before that in our section, we had the guys doing donuts in a middle school football field.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I believe the rule is it takes a half a psi pressure change to knock a man out. Basically think of the surface area of your chest in square inches (figure at least 200) x 0.5 and think of that (100lb or more) weight smacking you in the chest. It's obviously not that simple, don't sperg it up, but it gives the basic idea.

Compartments are large and it takes a lot of compressed air to change pressure. Lord knows we vented high-pressure air into people spaces more than once (and a couple times were my fault, what genius gave HPAC operation to the reactor technician) but other than being louder than all bejesus it wasn't harmful since the volume released was low.

I don't know much about a boomer's missile compartment but the best explanation is that they inadvertently pressurized the space and then rapidly depressurized (by opening the hatch or a vent valve or something) which would pop blood vessels, make you blush, nosebleeds etc. It's a strange one though because at least on a fast boat you'd need more than a few things messed up to be able to do that in that situation.

Gonna have to remember that the next time I give that checkout. Remember when I was qualifying another student opened the airlock door without equalizing while I was field day-ing in there. I woulda punched him then and there if I wasn't so disoriented.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

Mad Dragon posted:

35-5 club, checking in

I am not worthy enough to be in your presence. Did they at least excuse you from pt?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

dear navy nuclear CTEs:
you trained me to flash memorize large volumes of information that is irrelevant to my life. for that i thank you right nnow. i blew off studying for a history test but feel pretty good about it after 30 min before class.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
I'm a sub ETN2 (3353) who made it off the exam. I'm thinking of reenlisting but don't know the minimum reenlistment beyond an extension. I don't feel a need to cap, if I can get 66K for a 2.5 Yr reenlistment or 6 months past my extension that's good enough for me. So does anyone know the minimum reenlistment time? I haven't had much luck looking for it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

DONT loving DO IT
THERE IS NO REASON IF YOU ALREADY MADE SECOND
GET OUT AND WALK INTO A SIX FIGURE DIRECT SRO JOB AS A WORST CASE SCENARIO
gently caress 66K FOR 6 YEARS YOU CAN DOUBLE YOUR SALARY IF YOU GET OUT

seriously, unless you absolutely loving love your job, don't reenlist if you're already a second class and qualified RO.

ps Im pretty sure minimum reenlistment is 3 years for non-STAR but you might want to post in the navy thread

make sure to mention that you're a nuke ET

• Locked thread