Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
The Spectrum 2 is the epitome of Meh. Like samsung the software they add to it stinks, but unlike samsung, its like they didn't even try.

And barely anything out there for cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
I want to sign up for verizon's 30 a month prepaid tablet plan. I don't want to buy any of their devices straight from them due to the prices. Is there a list of devices that will work with the plan? I don't want to ask CS because I'm certain they'll waste my time try to sell me those overpriced tablets. The verizon website unsurprisingly doesn't have this information listed anywhere obvious.

I read through the first few pages and then the last few and couldn't find an answer to my question.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Blazing Zero posted:

I want to sign up for verizon's 30 a month prepaid tablet plan. I don't want to buy any of their devices straight from them due to the prices. Is there a list of devices that will work with the plan? I don't want to ask CS because I'm certain they'll waste my time try to sell me those overpriced tablets. The verizon website unsurprisingly doesn't have this information listed anywhere obvious.

I read through the first few pages and then the last few and couldn't find an answer to my question.

The iPad notwithstanding (and even then you'd still the Verizon specific model), you may as well assume that if Verizon didn't sell it at one point and put a Verizon logo on it, it won't work on Verizon. Check Craigslist/eBay for used stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure what you see on their site is what you can get for Verizon. I guess search around for those models and see if you can get a better deal. You certainly don't want any Android tablets older than what they're selling.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Blazing Zero posted:

Honestly, the Verizon tablets have 0 markup. So yes you might find some discontinued ones cheap, As a dealer, we buy them for exactly what you see them selling them for on the website.

Samsung i800, i905, i915, i925
Motorola Xoom 4G, Xyboard MZ607 MZ609 MZ617 MZ619

iPads will say Verizon in the name. "new iPad + Cellular - Verizon"

All will generally list Verizon as being the carrier they are made for.

If I wanted to not spend a lot, a lightly used 3rd Gen iPad is your best deal on a tablet, ~$350-400, still dock connector, 4g and Retina. If you want a Android Tab, I am still really happy with my Xyboard, but no idea when Jelly Bean is coming for it.

Mighty Horse fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 3, 2013

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Honestly, the Verizon tablets have 0 markup. So yes you might find some discontinued ones cheap, As a dealer, we buy them for exactly what you see them selling them for on the website.

Samsung i800, i905, i915, i925
Motorola Xoom 4G, Xyboard MZ607 MZ609 MZ617 MZ619

iPads will say Verizon in the name. "new iPad + Cellular - Verizon"

All will generally list Verizon as being the carrier they are made for.

If I wanted to not spend a lot, a lightly used 3rd Gen iPad is your best deal on a tablet, ~$350-400, still dock connector, 4g and Retina. If you want a Android Tab, I am still really happy with my Xyboard, but no idea when Jelly Bean is coming for it.

To add to this, as a Verizon rep I bought and carry the nexus 7 with me all the time at work and I couldn't be happier with my decision. If I had to pick one of the tablets in the Verizon lineup it'd be the note 10.1, for no exact reason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kstatix posted:

If I had to pick one of the tablets in the Verizon lineup it'd be the note 10.1, for no exact reason.
That got nothing but awful reviews when it came out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
What's the limit on the amount of lines you can have on a family account?

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

What's the limit on the amount of lines you can have on a family account?

10 on share everything.

5 on any older plan that isn't corporate-liable. There's some super old plans that make exception to this but those are rare now days.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kstatix posted:

10 on share everything.

5 on any older plan that isn't corporate-liable. There's some super old plans that make exception to this but those are rare now days.

Great, thanks!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Does this process actually work for keeping unlimited data? I'm going to go with my mom to help her upgrade from a Droid 2 and it would be nice to keep the unlimited. http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/227608-instruction-how-keep-unlimited-data-verizon.html

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Yes, it works if you are on a family plan already, not from an Individual plan.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

4.1.2 has really killed the battery life in my Razr MAXX. I used to be able to comfortably go 3 days between charges, but now I'm lucky if it lasts two. I looked at the battery stats, and see that Google Play Magazines has been eating up more battery than almost anything else, and I don't even know what it is. Can I safely kill it without screwing anything up? Is it possible to roll back this update? Battery life was the only redeeming quality this phone had.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You can definitely stop that process. I wouldn't complain about 2 day battery life though. My original RAZR doesn't even last a day if I use it normally. It'll last quite a while with data turned off and with it idling but 4g and such kills it ridiculously fast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ICS to JB was a pretty big update. I know it's a pain, but you might want to consider doing a factory reset.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Yep, android still sucks at updates. Factory reset is always advisable after any major version update.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Great thread...glad I found it!

We are currently running on ATT family plan, 2 lines with HTC Desires as the phones. We are coming up to our contract end in early June, and we are considering switching carriers to Verizon and getting 2 Razr Maxxs at that time with their family plan.

How is the service overall compared to ATT in your opinions? We have always been with ATT but my husband is not happy with them since we seem to have dropped calls more often than not in this area.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

ICS to JB was a pretty big update. I know it's a pain, but you might want to consider doing a factory reset.

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Amethyste posted:

Great thread...glad I found it!

We are currently running on ATT family plan, 2 lines with HTC Desires as the phones. We are coming up to our contract end in early June, and we are considering switching carriers to Verizon and getting 2 Razr Maxxs at that time with their family plan.

How is the service overall compared to ATT in your opinions? We have always been with ATT but my husband is not happy with them since we seem to have dropped calls more often than not in this area.

http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/

If you're in a popular urban area you can bet on Verizon having just as good of service as AT&T.

Dr Blah PhD
Aug 11, 2007
Property of tithin

ProjektorBoy posted:

When rooted, the answer is almost always android-wifi-tether.

This actually does not work for me. Ive googled like crazy, and have tried foxfi, barnacle, and whatever free apps there have been on the app store that claim to wireless tether. and I just cannot find an app that will let me activate a wifi hotspot on my razr m. I am grandfathered into an unlimited plan, but please dont tell me that verizon has a stranglehold on my ability to make my phone a wifi hotspot :(

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dr Blah PhD posted:

This actually does not work for me. Ive googled like crazy, and have tried foxfi, barnacle, and whatever free apps there have been on the app store that claim to wireless tether. and I just cannot find an app that will let me activate a wifi hotspot on my razr m. I am grandfathered into an unlimited plan, but please dont tell me that verizon has a stranglehold on my ability to make my phone a wifi hotspot :(

They just now got FoxFi working on the other RAZR devices, and the PDANet/Foxfi page says the RAZR M will be supported soon.

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/09/foxfi-now-works-with-multiple-motorola-phones-running-jelly-bean/

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
Is this the correct thread to post questions? I have a problem that Verizon can't give me a satisfactory solution for.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Hermaphrodite posted:

Is this the correct thread to post questions? I have a problem that Verizon can't give me a satisfactory solution for.

I've been a direct Verizon rep for almost 7 years and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!
This one's a doozy! The day after I got a new phone (Oct. 2011, had Verizon before, same number) I started getting calls from a restricted number. No one's ever on the other end of the line, no message, no noise, no nothing. Almost EVERY SINGLE DAY since then too, sometimes 2 or three times a day. If I don't answer, I'll have a missed call notification, but then it doesn't appear on the list. To me it seems more than coincidental that it started right after I got a new phone. Can't block "restricted" calls on my phone without a number. Verizon says I can either get a new number (why should I?) or pay $4.99 a month for "usage controls" that can block restricted numbers. I don't see why I should pay extra for that, I hardly use the thing as it is. Even stranger, yesterday I took the phone out of my pocket to check the time and saw it was "connected" with a restricted call for over an hour, didn't think the phone could answer on its own. After another such call today I called customer service twice and got the same useless "solution" both times. Then I got three more restricted calls after that, which makes for a record of four in one day. If you could help somehow, or at least come up with an explanation for these calls I'd greatly appreciate it!

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

...And this is why I cancelled my cox subscription.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Hermaphrodite posted:

This one's a doozy! The day after I got a new phone (Oct. 2011, had Verizon before, same number) I started getting calls from a restricted number. No one's ever on the other end of the line, no message, no noise, no nothing. Almost EVERY SINGLE DAY since then too, sometimes 2 or three times a day. If I don't answer, I'll have a missed call notification, but then it doesn't appear on the list. To me it seems more than coincidental that it started right after I got a new phone. Can't block "restricted" calls on my phone without a number. Verizon says I can either get a new number (why should I?) or pay $4.99 a month for "usage controls" that can block restricted numbers. I don't see why I should pay extra for that, I hardly use the thing as it is. Even stranger, yesterday I took the phone out of my pocket to check the time and saw it was "connected" with a restricted call for over an hour, didn't think the phone could answer on its own. After another such call today I called customer service twice and got the same useless "solution" both times. Then I got three more restricted calls after that, which makes for a record of four in one day. If you could help somehow, or at least come up with an explanation for these calls I'd greatly appreciate it!
Nuisance calls, whether it is a human dialing a wrong number or some sort of neglected auto-dialer robot, are a fact of life while owning a telephone.

The free Call & Message Blocking feature does require an actual phone number and cannot block restricted calls.

The only way to filter out restricted calls is the Usage Controls feature which is a paid feature. Bear in mind this would block all restricted calls in addition to this particular one.

Some phones (mostly basic phones) have a security setting to filter out anything that isn't in the contact list but that tends to be too restrictive for most people.

Register your number on donotcall.gov if you haven't already done so.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

cuedotcom posted:

Wow, I thought I was blazing when I hit 25 Mbps over LTE. Do you not run out of data in like 2 seconds with a laptop?

modig
Aug 20, 2002
My parents are up for an upgrade, but almost certainly don't want to pay for a Smartphone data plan. They currently have LG Cosmos phones (sideways slider with qwerty). As far as I can tell they can get a Cosmos 2 which looks identical. Is there a good dumb-phone to recommend, or should I just let them talk to the people at the mall store and end up with whatever?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

modig posted:

Wow, I thought I was blazing when I hit 25 Mbps over LTE. Do you not run out of data in like 2 seconds with a laptop?

Unlimited data + Fox-Fi ^_^

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

cuedotcom posted:

Wow. The last time I saw speeds like that was in 2011, when I was activating LTE at cell sites before the network had any users. I think 66 down was my personal best, though I can cheat by not allowing any other device besides my own access to the cell site.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Any other RAZR HD owners having network connectivity issues & SMS issues after the 4.1.2 update? Seems like it'll just drop LTE signal but still show the blue indicator and not fall back to 3G. Requires an airplane mode cycle to recover from this weird state. It seems signal strength dependent because I can easily replicate it by just going to the same part of my office building. Seems like when this happens too, I can't send SMS, either, until I've done an airplane mode cycle.

I'm trying a factory reset tonight but if it's still janky I am going to the store to talk about a warranty swap.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm trying a factory reset tonight but if it's still janky I am going to the store to talk about a warranty swap.

Don't bother going to a store if this happens: they'll just tell you to call their phone number. They don't do warranty exchanges in-store anymore.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Don't bother going to a store if this happens: they'll just tell you to call their phone number. They don't do warranty exchanges in-store anymore.

By "their phone number" do you mean I should call *611 or do I call Motorola? I have the total equipment coverage plan, if that makes any difference.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 12, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kitten smoothie posted:

By "their phone number" do you mean I should call *611 or do I call Motorola?

I've always done it through Verizon, so I guess *611? Not exactly sure what the number is. Other goons have gone through OEM's, though.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

You can still go into a direct store and the reps there can order a replacement for you but it may be easier over the phone. Some reps will blindly tell you to hard reset and come back if(when) your problem occurs again. Indirect agents will direct you to corporate stores. You'll probably have a better experience calling in.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Asking this here as I have a Verizon branded Razr MAXX - if this more for the general Android thread, I'll head over there.

Ever since I updated to 4.1.2 last week, my battery life is noticeably worse than with ICS. I bought this phone on 8/1/12 and when I got it, it didn't have ICS on it already. I remember the rep telling me to not even bother using the phone & to plug it into power and run the update when I got home. My question is this: if I hard reset the phone, what am I going to wind up with in terms of Android version ? This is the first time I've ever owned an Android phone. Is hard resetting it actually necessary ? I (in my opinion) use the phone very sparingly. I'm using Firefox the most (random browsing), Skype for occasional chatting with some friends (text only, no voice), WiFi and Bluetooth are rarely on (unless I'm at home) and I've used only 144 mb of data at day 25 of my 30 day data cycle. I look at the near 45 degree graph angle and wonder why there are a lot more "Awake" ticks there ever since I updated to 4.1.2.

Right now the list of apps in Battery says Android OS 55%, Phone Idle 18%, Screen 13%, Cell Standby 10%, Maps 2% and that's it.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MREBoy posted:

Asking this here as I have a Verizon branded Razr MAXX - if this more for the general Android thread, I'll head over there.

Ever since I updated to 4.1.2 last week, my battery life is noticeably worse than with ICS. I bought this phone on 8/1/12 and when I got it, it didn't have ICS on it already. I remember the rep telling me to not even bother using the phone & to plug it into power and run the update when I got home. My question is this: if I hard reset the phone, what am I going to wind up with in terms of Android version ? This is the first time I've ever owned an Android phone. Is hard resetting it actually necessary ? I (in my opinion) use the phone very sparingly. I'm using Firefox the most (random browsing), Skype for occasional chatting with some friends (text only, no voice), WiFi and Bluetooth are rarely on (unless I'm at home) and I've used only 144 mb of data at day 25 of my 30 day data cycle. I look at the near 45 degree graph angle and wonder why there are a lot more "Awake" ticks there ever since I updated to 4.1.2.

Right now the list of apps in Battery says Android OS 55%, Phone Idle 18%, Screen 13%, Cell Standby 10%, Maps 2% and that's it.

A factory reset will only wipe user data and won't touch your Android install, so you're safe there.

As for the large amount of Awake time, try downloading BetterBatteryStats from the Play Store. It should help narrow down exactly what's keeping your phone awake. Do you keep Skype open all the time? That could very well be the problem (it's kind of a badly-written app).

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Work is looking at a BYOD policy, if I buy a phone with no subsidy then extend my contract a few months later, can I still get a subsidized phone at a later date? Or is a subsidized phone tied to contract agreements?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dirk Pitt posted:

Work is looking at a BYOD policy, if I buy a phone with no subsidy then extend my contract a few months later, can I still get a subsidized phone at a later date? Or is a subsidized phone tied to contract agreements?

Buying outright does not affect your contract date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MREBoy posted:

2 and a half days and you're still at 50% is noticeably worse than what you had before? I envy you.

• Locked thread