Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Guess what actually exists. If it's reported on Slashdot, it's got to be true. . . Right?

I hope the OUYA is completely bug-free with perfect hardware and a speedy roll-out. That way, when/if it fails, we'll all be able to blame the idea and the company rather than the execution. Also it'll spawn a lot of funny conspiracy theories about how Big Gaming killed the OUYA.

Here's Time Magazine yesterday:
Ouya’s Lesson for Kickstarter Backers: You’re Buying the Beta
http://techland.time.com/2013/04/04/ouyas-lesson-for-kickstarter-backers-youre-buying-the-beta/

Hehe. That's probably not the kind of mainstream press they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The Verge already reviewed it, giving it a 3.5 (ouch). Basically the hardware itself is fine but the software (both in terms of the platform and games available) is severely lacking.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cicero posted:

The Verge already reviewed it, giving it a 3.5 (ouch). Basically the hardware itself is fine but the software (both in terms of the platform and games available) is severely lacking.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

If you like that, you should really check out the OUYA forum in Games. :allears:

We're ripping this thing apart, and loving with all the diehard fans who are making sunken cost fallacy mistakes

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
From the Project Zomboid thread, an indie game developer is dying from a piece of shrapnel embedded in her body from a car crash several years ago:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i-am-going-to-survive/x/189160

I just don't understand why ER doctors are denying her treatment for metal poisoning. This doesn't add up.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.
What's even more dumb is that she can get into a pre-existing condition insurance pool for like, at the most, $100 a month and get it completely covered.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

From the Project Zomboid thread, an indie game developer is dying from a piece of shrapnel embedded in her body from a car crash several years ago:

I just don't understand why ER doctors are denying her treatment for metal poisoning. This doesn't add up.

I don't like how jaded I am. This reads like a scam, because drat, you almost have to be trying to have everything go so godamn wrong. And it really seems like, even in the US, there are other options. But then, I'm not the one facing this situation.

Bobo the Red has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Apr 5, 2013

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I.. what? My limited knowledge of metal poisoning usually points to mass ingestion to cause issues, like kids eating lead paint or accidentally taking a ton of iron pills. Looking at a list of toxic metals, I don't know what she could have gotten into herself during a car accident that would cause such a severe diagnosis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_metal

Also metal just doesn't hide on an x-ray and magically show up later. And people have lived with shrapnel in their bodies for years after the fact due to it being in dangerous spots to operate on.

And she only quotes the price for the surgery, not the post hospital recovery which would probably be over double what she's asking.

It just doesn't add up.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

The Incredible Ed posted:

What's even more dumb is that she can get into a pre-existing condition insurance pool for like, at the most, $100 a month and get it completely covered.

I take it you've never had to shop for your own insurance.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The Incredible Ed posted:

What the holy gently caress are you even talking about here? Are you posting from 1973 or something?

Unfortunately, I think that lady has fallen prey to some woo, and wants surgery followed by chelation therapy, which no, they're not going to give you in the ER.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Maybe they're from somewhere with sensible insurance rather than the US.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

"was not prepared for the court case"? Did she not know what a lawyer is?

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

kazmeyer posted:

I take it you've never had to shop for your own insurance.

I've bought insurance off the PCIP marketplace. It's changed a lot since Obamacare, for the major major better.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently PCIP stopped enrolling in February. Hope nobody gets kidney failure between now and January.

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
This came up in the newsletter for a local Kickstarter-type site. It's not for me to judge as I am hefty! Hefty! Hefty!

It has already been successfully funded. I am well aware of the swirling firestorm of fat acceptance discussions online.

Aquaporko a film on Fat Activism & SynchroSwimmin!
http://www.pozible.com/project/14762

I did find this other project on Kickstarter
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/529269833/grotesque-burlesque-fallout-themed-shoot-and-music?ref=live

Oh dear...

Some people I know did something similar, was off their own bat originally and is now in its fourth year it was part of a horror film festival with sponsors
http://gore.vesperwhite.com.au/

Some of the previous trailers for the show
https://vimeo.com/user4514780/videos

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Yeah there's a federal law against declining to treat people with lethal amounts of Ouyaium 356 in their gizzard, so it's safe to assume everything describing the medical issue is complete bullshit. It reads like it she thinks Iron Man 2's digital spooky-metal blood cooties are a real thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

"Typically in these situations, people usually jump on the malpractice bandwagon, however, I was very lucky to have made it through that accident, and I could not have survived without the care of medical staff involved. Mistakes happen, and besides, I was working full time and I had insurance."

How the gently caress does this make any sense? They then say how they went to court (twice?) and lost because they weren't prepared; meaning if they went to court they almost certainly did it on their own. I know insurance companies are evil as gently caress but surely even a mediocre lawyer can win a case with a client in a "if they do not get treatment they will die" I mean our courts haven't become that useless have they?

Although if reddit comments are to be believe supposedly indiegogo checked in to the claims and found them to be legit.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

I think she wants non-standard treatments for something that standard medicine doesn't believe, on the basis of current clinical data, is the source of her health issues. I base this only on her description of the process of post-surgery recovery, which sounds like woo-woo chelation therapy (basically, a scaled-down version of the process they use to detox someone from an acute toxic metal exposure, only for issues that current evidence doesn't support any basis for needing any kind of detox). Anyway, if this is accurate, she would never prevail in court, because the insurance company would have a ton of more qualified doctors to bat down any of her doctors' claims.

My guess is that any "checking" that was done was limited to verifying that there was a doctor who had agreed to do the surgery, and a clinic that was ready to do the chelation, and didn't go as far as checking whether these people were on the fringes of standard medical practice or not.

I am the first to fling copious poo at the US insurance system, court system, and health care system, but the way she talks about the metal poisoning stuff sounds like the "my dental fillings are killing me" nuttery that is so widespread on the fringes of medicine.

Either way, I hope she feels better after her treatments, of course, but I do wonder.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Apr 6, 2013

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

I think she wants non-standard treatments for something that standard medicine doesn't believe, on the basis of current clinical data, is the source of her health issues. I base this only on her description of the process of post-surgery recovery, which sounds like woo-woo chelation therapy (basically, a scaled-down version of the process they use to detox someone from an acute toxic metal exposure, only for issues that current evidence doesn't support any basis for needing any kind of detox). Anyway, if this is accurate, she would never prevail in court, because the insurance company would have a ton of more qualified doctors to bat down any of her doctors' claims.

My guess is that any "checking" that was done was limited to verifying that there was a doctor who had agreed to do the surgery, and a clinic that was ready to do the chelation, and didn't go as far as checking whether these people were on the fringes of standard medical practice or not.

I am the first to fling copious poo at the US insurance system, court system, and health care system, but the way she talks about the metal poisoning stuff sounds like the "my dental fillings are killing me" nuttery that is so widespread on the fringes of medicine.

Either way, I hope she feels better after her treatments, of course, but I do wonder.

As the guy who usually chimes in on stuff like this..there's SO much that doesn't add up to an actual medical claim. Just from a little research, the normal metal toxicity culprits from shrapnel are: Tungston and Lead. Metalworkers and Soldiers, basically. There's a claim that Aluminium helps cause Alzheimer's, but the clinical data on that is sketchy at best, so we'll leave it out for now. So, you've got metal poisoning from an object, presumably left over from a car accident that didn't show up on ANY of the multiple tests that she had to have received post-car accident..but does now. And it's in SUCH a compromising place that surgeons don't want to touch it..yet her doctor just shrugs and goes "meh, in a couple of years, maybe."

And then there's this: "I have too much cortisol in my system. My time frame for surviving this has lowered from a few years to a few months, with loss of many basic functions due to arrive prior to my passing." Cortisol is basically a steroid. Almost everyone has used it at some point in Hydrocortisone cream, etc. It does dampen immune functions, but if you look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol , everything she's describing is almost a bullet-point list of what cortisol does.

I could be wrong, obviously, but it just reeks of "I read a bunch of stuff online, and pieced it together into something that sounds good."

Edit: I'm going to go with either: The doctors knew about the offending piece of metal, maybe even told her but she was too out of it after her accident, and she thinks it's the cause of her problems when it's actually something entirely different..or..she's freaking out because she's buried under a ton of medical debt, and wants some way out.

We Got Us A Bread has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Apr 6, 2013

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
^^^ What he said.

I don't care about any of what she says, what "shrapnel" from a car accident causes heavy metal poisoning? There's no lead or mercury in a car. And very little tungsten, if any. So...what?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

SovietSpyGuy posted:

^^^ What he said.

I don't care about any of what she says, what "shrapnel" from a car accident causes heavy metal poisoning? There's no lead or mercury in a car. And very little tungsten, if any. So...what?
Platinum form the catalytic converter, obviously. :D

…although at that point, I think we have moved from “shrapnel” to “ground down, carefully chewed and swallowed”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SovietSpyGuy posted:

^^^ What he said.

There's plenty of lead in the battery, but you'd need to be actively trying to get any of that inside you. Old vehicles can have fun things like selenium (not a heavy metal, but toxic) rectifiers, but again, those are more an occupational hazard for people restoring them than something you'd get as a shrapnel injury.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I searched it up out of boredom and one person on another forum suggested that "Chloe" was simply making up the story since a gender reassignment surgery was around the same amount of money at a place near her, and that secretly she must be a he who's going to use the money for that instead ????

I feel like this is going to end up being a Shalyaman level twist when the funds go through.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

SovietSpyGuy posted:

^^^ What he said.

She feels like crap, and because the regular docs couldn't help her after a point, she found an alternative doc who told her that she was being poisoned by metal pieces in her body, but the appropriate surgery plus snake oil will fix it all. And there's no way an insurance company would pay, thus Internets begging.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SovietSpyGuy posted:

^^^ What he said.

Pieces of the Mastodon CD from the front seat. :v:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Another shite "Zombys you guys" game made in RPG Maker.

"Dead and Forgotten", much like this kickstarter :smug:

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020036992/tiklyz-bold-and-beautiful?ref=category

How could anybody think there's a market for this? They want $15,000 to produce a bunch of lovely face stickers that nobody will ever ever ever buy.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Ooner posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2020036992/tiklyz-bold-and-beautiful?ref=category

How could anybody think there's a market for this? They want $15,000 to produce a bunch of lovely face stickers that nobody will ever ever ever buy.

gently caress you buddy this is just what I need to get my cult based on the board game Electronic Mall Madness off the ground.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Ooner posted:

You fool! I can finally finish Myst without having to draw the little symbols on every scrap of paper I own now! I can simply slap them on my arms and look down as I play.

Seriously, who designed these? The shapes themselves don't fit with any kind of fashion unless you're wearing outdated 80's windbreakers.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
Indiegogo is full of destressing tales of people needing surgery but being denied insurance etc. Then theres this guy. We wants the internet to buy him a graphics card that if his pc can fit it, means he doesn't need anyone to buy him poo poo. This kid is twenty years old. God drat.

Ooner posted:

It gets worse.

"From the comments" posted:

I left a comment in the update section but wanted to make sure you saw the question. If there's a good explanation, I'll keep my pledge: why does your website show one can pay $4 for a package of 8 for when you're asking backers for $10 and will send a package of 4?

They are also using the updates to thank everyone individually. How many emails can a backer get before they pull their pledge?

ToG has a new favorite as of 01:28 on Apr 8, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Ooner posted:

I could see that product selling like hotcakes at Mardis Gras or the various Carnivales. But that's pretty niche.

Maledict
Jan 5, 2005

Ask me about being worldly

Alan Smithee posted:

I ain't gonna lie kinda wish I was OP since I'm obsessed with crowdfunding. Whatever. gently caress IT IM OVER IT

:siren:Kickstarter Hall of Shame:siren:

Your World

Ellwood "Bunky" Bartlett may have won $42 million from the lottery but that's not going to stop him from getting other people to pay for his dream MMO! Your World promises the MMO experience that gamers want: namely, hooker bots.

I remember when that thread hit the SA forums years ago, I think even before the original Awful Kickstarters thread.

It was so bad, and with all the talk of Pufferfish, Abe having a grudge on a guy and repeatedly probating him and banning him (Iluvortab was the guy's name), and some images, taking them all together, including Iluvortab's avatar, I drew something just out of pure mocking spite. Perhaps one of the few good things to have out of it, was this beauty:

I did it literally as a joke, in around an hour or so? Still completely trounced the bwahahaha concept art the guy put his millions towards.

Also: Swords where the pommel is literally the same length as the blade proper. I don't think even daggers have that ratio.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Out of curiosity, does anyone still have a picture of the hooker bot "concept art"?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Antitonic posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone still have a picture of the hooker bot "concept art"?

I couldn't find it, but I found this very succinct and eloquent explanation of the hookerbot's functions.

CONTENT:

I'll just leave this here.

quote:

We are a four piece psychedelic rock band. We just recently got back from a tour. It was amazing. We are looking for funding to help us tour again this summer. We would like to play our way out to Chicago and back to CT. But, with gas so expensive it's almost impossible for us to pull it off.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that they aren't good enough to make their own touring money...

quote:

Gas money is quite expensive these days. and even with our four day job, we are unable to take a two week tour. We feel that the donations we receive will help us tremendously. we will be able to take our two week tour with out having to worry about getting skimped out of pay by the venues we play!

They can't make a cool thousand after a month at their day job?! Like, all of them put together? :psyduck:

Noyemi K has a new favorite as of 16:37 on Apr 8, 2013

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

There's plenty of lead in the battery, but you'd need to be actively trying to get any of that inside you. Old vehicles can have fun things like selenium (not a heavy metal, but toxic) rectifiers, but again, those are more an occupational hazard for people restoring them than something you'd get as a shrapnel injury.

Oh yeah. The battery. Duh. Good point...

Even so. I just don't trust that crazy lady!

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Noyemi K posted:

They can't make a cool thousand after a month at their day job?! Like, all of them put together? :psyduck:
Come on, you know Mike Mindpilot ain't employed.

I'm much more bothered by their description.

quote:

We've gone through many changes over the years. lost several members, but are still writing music. We drudge up sounds of the 60s and meld it with our own flair. We can be loud. but also gentle. Our sound is quite dynamic. We are constantly changing, to avoid becoming a moldy and moth-eaten band.
Everything is wrong with this. Why did several members leave? Did Mike melt their brains? Why is the creative process described with a word that means soul-crushing labor, and looks like a typo for scraping the bottoms of rivers? Which 60s music did they free from the sediment? What does the music actually sound like? Why is it a mold risk?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I think the biggest thing keeping them from getting a single loving dime was the lack of a video to go with that panhandling. Nothing describes a particular musical style of an artist(s) better than some actual loving music from the artist. That' "show, don't tell" thing you learn in literature...

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Maledict posted:

I remember when that thread hit the SA forums years ago, I think even before the original Awful Kickstarters thread.

It was so bad, and with all the talk of Pufferfish, Abe having a grudge on a guy and repeatedly probating him and banning him (Iluvortab was the guy's name), and some images, taking them all together, including Iluvortab's avatar, I drew something just out of pure mocking spite. Perhaps one of the few good things to have out of it, was this beauty:

I did it literally as a joke, in around an hour or so? Still completely trounced the bwahahaha concept art the guy put his millions towards.

Also: Swords where the pommel is literally the same length as the blade proper. I don't think even daggers have that ratio.
This concept art has quite the resemblance to the enemies in Ghost of a Tale.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noyemi K posted:

That' "show, don't tell" thing you learn in literature...

Or even the famous quote "Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

Or failing that, the Kickstarter instructions that urge people to add an interesting video to their pitch above everything else.

Xenocidebot posted:

Which 60s music did they free from the sediment?

I checked their 'psychedelic' website and they sound something like a 44rpm Partridge Family song played at 30rpm. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Apr 8, 2013

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I checked their 'psychedelic' website and they sound something like a 44rpm Partridge Family song played at 30rpm. :shrug:

They aren't that good at all... and you might seriously want to put an epilepsy or eyestrain warning for that site, because that thing flickers like a loving christmas tree. Psychedelic my arse.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Noyemi K posted:

They aren't that good at all... and you might seriously want to put an epilepsy or eyestrain warning for that site, because that thing flickers like a loving christmas tree. Psychedelic my arse.

Yeah, I lasted 2 seconds on that side, and I'm not even epileptic. That's just the most anti-usable place I've seen on the internet for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Before everyone gets bored with terrible apple kickstarters:
Are you an indie filmmaker, an art student, low on cash, a douche ?
Looking for a way to record video with a ginormous impractical camera, with no optics to speak of, unswappable battery and poo poo ergonomics ? fit your iPad into this filming rig then

He's an high school media art teacher.

Alternatively, help me buy 500 iPads to be artistic. This one is a repeat offender.