Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
where is gazpacho located on the grocery store? Or do you have to make it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
So I've been making a pretty tasty buffalo wing dip for parties/game nights/whatever for a while and I absolutely love it. It's basically just the entire "buffalo wing" experience in a single dip. I've been wondering if there was a way to make it vegetarian friendly by swapping out the chicken I usually roast and put in it with something that will keep the texture/flavor that the chicken brings to the table.

My first thought is to just use some faux-chicken stuff from the freezer aisle but I never use that sort of thing to make vegan/vegetarian dishes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

TVP (textured vegetable protein) is the only thing that comes close texture-wise, and it's the only meat substitute that I really enjoy.
Buy it plain though, the stuff that's made up to "taste like" chicken is kind of gross.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
This is probably an elementary question, but how would I go about making a key lime pie more tart? My girlfriend loves sour food and key lime pie, so I bought her some from this place famous for its key lime pies. She liked it, but she said it wasn't tart enough, so I figured I'd make one for her myself. Should I add more key lime juice than the recipe calls for, or add some zest from the limes, or both, or what?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a Boston butt roast. I used to find them all the time in the south, but oddly enough I can't find one in NY. I'm guessing they call them something different here (maybe because they really hate Boston up here? I don't know.) If so, anyone know the name they use?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

This is probably an elementary question, but how would I go about making a key lime pie more tart? My girlfriend loves sour food and key lime pie, so I bought her some from this place famous for its key lime pies. She liked it, but she said it wasn't tart enough, so I figured I'd make one for her myself. Should I add more key lime juice than the recipe calls for, or add some zest from the limes, or both, or what?

Buy powdered citric acid?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If the recipe calls for extra sugar, that's the first thing to reduce. Adding more lime juice is possible up to a point, but eventually the liquid will throw off the ratio and it won't come together very well. You could mix condensed and sweetened condensed milk, instead of just using sweetened.

Also key limes are more tart than regular limes, it's possible the place cheaped out and was using regular limes.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The zest wouldn't really add any tartness, but adding more lime juice might work. Key lime pies have a bunch of sweetened condensed milk/other things so the lime juice might not add too much extra liquid. It might mess it up though, I can't say for sure. Something you make yourself might be more sour than the purchased pie so taste it before adding more stuff.

That said, I much prefer meringue pies over key lime pies, and they are tarter in my experience. They are totally different though, but as far as citrus pies are concerned they're my favorite. It has a lemon (or lime I guess) curd topped with a meringue in a basic pie shell.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
This is going to sound ridiculous, but add a bit of lemon-lime kool aid. I've only done this when experimenting at making alcoholic (generally mojito) pies, so I'm probably not the best person to consult about things of taste. However, it's essentially 10 cents of citric acid and vitamin C in an envelope.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Zest would be better out of those two, since adding liquid will screw up your ratios. Get citric acid or malic acid if you want to do it right though.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Mojito pie?? That's a thing? That is edible...?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
I made curry powder about a year ago (ground up: chili pods, coriander seeds, curry leaves that I dried, cumin seeds, turmeric, some other stuff I can't remember but the same basic seed or dried good). I stored it in a tupperware and put it in my fridge. I smelled it today: still extremely fragrant and spicy.

Can I eat this without food poisoning???

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yehudis Basya posted:

I made curry powder about a year ago (ground up: chili pods, coriander seeds, curry leaves that I dried, cumin seeds, turmeric, some other stuff I can't remember but the same basic seed or dried good). I stored it in a tupperware and put it in my fridge. I smelled it today: still extremely fragrant and spicy.

Can I eat this without food poisoning???

I uh, yeah. You'll be fine.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

It's just so old that I feel weirded out about it... I am being silly then?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Zest would be better out of those two, since adding liquid will screw up your ratios. Get citric acid or malic acid if you want to do it right though.

Zest won't make it sour though, just add more lime flavor.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yehudis Basya posted:

It's just so old that I feel weirded out about it... I am being silly then?

A wee bit. Dry spices & herbs, as long as they haven't touched anything that would contaminate them (like raw meat) shouldn't go bad. They'll lose pungency however.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Marinating some chicken legs in the aforementioned curry powder, yogurt, lime juice, salt, garlic, ginger and some more toasted cumin. Hopefully the spice hasn't lost a lot of pungency and that chicken tastes spicy after I cook it!

Thanks for the reassurances; I had hoped I was being silly but then, you know, food safety paranoia :tinfoil:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Fenrir posted:

I'm looking for a Boston butt roast. I used to find them all the time in the south, but oddly enough I can't find one in NY. I'm guessing they call them something different here (maybe because they really hate Boston up here? I don't know.) If so, anyone know the name they use?

I rarely see it called that here. Look for pork shoulder.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have both white and black truffle oil (along with truffle salt). I know it's been over used, so I'm not looking to make truffle fries with shaved parmesan (although it is tasty). I know to use it in moderation, but the flavor bible isn't helping me too too much here. Any suggestions?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I have both white and black truffle oil (along with truffle salt). I know it's been over used, so I'm not looking to make truffle fries with shaved parmesan (although it is tasty). I know to use it in moderation, but the flavor bible isn't helping me too too much here. Any suggestions?

I love it as a garnish on certain risottos and blended vegetable soups (especially roasted red pepper).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So we just got some awesome Lego salt/pepper shakers in at work, and I want to put every spice possible in them, because holy gently caress Lego spice shakers (that stack, so it's a space saver too!)! They're table shakers, so what spices/dried herbs can I put in there without running the risk of them going stale/bad/not good?

Also, is there a good Low Carb resource that isn't in W&W? I tried using the thread a couple years ago, and while the diet actually did work, I feel like it would have worked better if I wasn't all about just stuffing my face with things that had no carbs in them, and tried to actually balance poo poo out with veggies and legumes and what not.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, the low carb thread in YLLS is actually dead now due to insane people with diets consisting of butter and bacon. I don't know where to find a good one, but there is a "quick start guide" in the general thread in YLLS that may be able to guide you.

As for the spices, everything is going to go stale eventually. Put whatever you want in there. Unless it gets wet or something it's not going to rot, it will just eventually stop being so tasty.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
What are some things I can do with one turkey's worth of wings, legs and boned thighs? My wife bought a whole bird for a decent price, but it's just the two of us so as of today I've just cooked the breasts (take as much skin off the bird in one piece as possible, lay breasts head to tail, wrap in skin and tie) and vacuum sealed everything else. I'm going to smoke or confit the legs, but I've never used turkey wings besides picking them off a roast bird and I have no idea if the thighs (boned and unrolled) will grill well.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Im not a huge fan of truffle oils in general since they usually contain 0% truffle related ingredients and to me tend to taste plastic-y as well. All that said, they are ok in cream sauce or mashed potatoes.

Its just a fine line because its usually in evoo and the fake truffle compound seems pretty volatile so if you cook it too much you kill it but as a top garnish I think its too strong snd also sometimes has this faux-salty thing going on that makes stuff seem overseasoned.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

King Bahamut posted:

What are some things I can do with one turkey's worth of wings, legs and boned thighs? My wife bought a whole bird for a decent price, but it's just the two of us so as of today I've just cooked the breasts (take as much skin off the bird in one piece as possible, lay breasts head to tail, wrap in skin and tie) and vacuum sealed everything else. I'm going to smoke or confit the legs, but I've never used turkey wings besides picking them off a roast bird and I have no idea if the thighs (boned and unrolled) will grill well.

smoke the wings too, then make bean soup

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
If I'm an incredibly lovely cook who really wants to improve but has no idea about cooking at all, what are some good threads to dive into?

My cooking experience thus far has been

* ramen
* pasta
* rice
* bacon
* mince (with chopped garlic if I was feeling fancy)

I can also operate a stovetop without setting myself on fire. I really am entry-level. I've got a decent budget. I would like to no longer be a terrible goon who can only make student food.

n.b: I live in Indonesia. Recipes that involve pig products or alcohol are pretty much a no-go (they're haraam). A lot of Western food like cheese is available but also very expensive, since they have to import it. Stuff that involves lots of spices, fish, chicken, rice, noodles and/or fresh fruit is probably the way to go. I'm looking for threads to bookmark and start following, rather than specific recipes: those are welcome but that's not my main question.

oh god I'm terrible I'm sorry I just don't want to be poo poo at cooking any more :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Casu Marzu posted:

smoke the wings too, then make bean soup

Turkey stock is nice, don't throw out any scraps. I always grabbed the carcass at Thanksgiving for a couple weeks of turkey soup. :getin:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If I'm an incredibly lovely cook who really wants to improve but has no idea about cooking at all, what are some good threads to dive into?

* ramen
* pasta
* rice
* bacon

I can also operate a stovetop without setting myself on fire. I really am entry-level. I've got a decent budget. I would like to no longer be a terrible goon who can only make student food.

n.b: I live in Indonesia. Recipes that involve pig products or alcohol are pretty much a no-go (they're haraam). A lot of Western food like cheese is available but also very expensive, since they have to import it. Stuff that involves lots of spices, fish, chicken, rice, noodles and/or fresh fruit is probably the way to go. I'm looking for threads to bookmark and start following, rather than specific recipes: those are welcome but that's not my main question.

oh god I'm terrible I'm sorry I just don't want to be poo poo at cooking any more :smith:

Wok this way, the Chinese food thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971

help! I'm poor but want to cook good food. Good thread for anyone starting out cooking properly for any cuisine/taste.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278

Vegan thread
It's all spices, veg, beans and rice etc. No dairy so it seems to suit you for ideas on meals, add what you want to the basic meals with regard to making them non vegan I guess.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413016

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

* ramen
* pasta
* rice
* bacon

This cookbook, this cookbook, and the poor + vegan threads Fo3 linked.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

If you like Indian Food then Naan Breads are made using yoghurt.

Seconding this. Also raita (Indian yoghurt salad), and also yoghurt is great for marinades (tandoori or pretty much anything else, doesn't need to be Indian)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If you want other sources of info besides SA threads to read, on youtube look up Luke Nguyen and Ching-he Huang since you are mostly after " Stuff that involves lots of spices, fish, chicken, rice, noodles"

Terrormisu
Mar 28, 2007

Will you sign my copy?
[quote="Yoshifan823" post=""414169384"]
Also, is there a good Low Carb resource that isn't in W&W? I tried using the thread a couple years ago, and while the diet actually did work, I feel like it would have worked better if I wasn't all about just stuffing my face with things that had no carbs in them, and tried to actually balance poo poo out with veggies and legumes and what not.
[/quote]

I don't want to get in trouble for suggesting this, but the reddit subforum r/keto is a great low carb resource. There is a ton of info available in the sidebar.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

* ramen
* pasta
* rice
* bacon

If you're in Indonesia, you could get some tempeh pretty easily. I've made sandwiches with tempeh before and they're pretty tasty. You basically par-cook the tempeh for like ~10 minutes at a simmer in water (this is supposed to remove some of the bitterness), then marinate it for ~10-30 minutes. Then you just fry them in a pan and put them on some bread with whatever toppings suit your fancy. You could make the bread yourself assuming wheat flour isn't too expensive. Here is the bread thread for more reading on bread. I'm sure there are lots of more traditional Indonesian tempeh recipes out there too, but I know nothing of those.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anything I should be aware of substituting lactic acid for other acids in food, other than the relative concentration?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Doh004 posted:

Truffle oil over a mushroom and rosemary omelette/scrambled egg is really good.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Zest won't make it sour though, just add more lime flavor.

You're right. Lime flavour rules though so add more zest and citric acid.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
I got some fresh picked morels for FREE! The basket had been super picked over, with all the ones of size already gone, and there were just a couple handful of tiny ones left in the basket. When I went to check out, the grocer told me that she was glad I appreciated how special they were, even if it was just the last ones, and that I could have them for free since she needed to clear out that area anyway.

But I've never cooked them before! I think you are supposed to cut them in half to rise the dirt out of them? Whats the best, simplest single person dish I can make with these two small handfuls? I was thinking of sauteeing them with garlic, and serving them on with caramelized onions on top of some pasta and olive oil. Does that seem reasonable? Should I add some basil or rosemary or pepper or something? Is there something else I should do? I want to make sure I really want to appreciate them....

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Quick question, I've got some precooked linguica. I want to cut a few links up and toss them onto a pizza, since it is precooked is it safe to throw it straight onto the pie as it cooks or should I cook up the linguica first and then add it?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

* ramen
* pasta
* rice
* bacon

I have a standard post I've saved up against just this occasion. It has 3 simple, solid recipes that are hard to gently caress up. The ingredients are fairly common too, so you should be able to make them in Indonesia pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Leal posted:

Quick question, I've got some precooked linguica. I want to cut a few links up and toss them onto a pizza, since it is precooked is it safe to throw it straight onto the pie as it cooks or should I cook up the linguica first and then add it?

Just put it on the pizza. In fact you can eat it as a snack while you're making the pizza.