Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yep. I really hate Gorst but think he's a fantastic character, for pretty much those reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
That scene where Gorst tries to strange Finree's actual lover (who is a legitmately good person), being rather nonchalant about it and thinking how this is justice while the stuff he does on the battlefield is just murder was a really brilliant scene. I love Gorst but he's a seriously goony, hosed up person.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Gorst and Morveer are goon heroes because they are asperger's as gently caress.

I love this because this guy's impossibly goon-stereotype post is three up from that:

Space Pussy posted:

Yeah, it's basically the Catholic Church vs Wall Street. gently caress em' both.

Gorst is a brilliantly written character. I think Abercrombie does a great job writing awful people but at least making them appear likable, if just for a time.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The best part of Gorst is with Jezal in TFL where he seems like a nice guy, happily raising Jezal above his shoulders after losing the contest. You have to wonder if the character was so hosed up the whole time or if the events in TFL helped shape it. I'd love to see how the character would react to knowing the truth of that whole event too.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

nutranurse posted:

Man, I The Heroes taught me to absolutely hate Gorst. Abercrombie did a good job of explaining his character and letting us see why Gorst is Gorst, but Jesus he's just a rabid attack dog with few redeeming features. All he does is lust after Finree in the gooniest possible way. To him she's not even a person, just a pretty idea for his spank bank. I love how Abercrombie subverts the hero trope with Gorst because, were we to not see into Gorst's mind, he would seem like a kind of tragic hero.

He seems brave and valiant (but really just has a suicidal death wish).

He seems loyal (but really hates everything about who he is and would defect if he wasn't so much of a coward).

He seems unjustly handled and tragic (but really his fall came about because he was getting drunk and banging a prostitute instead of, you know, being the king's body guard).

It's great to see Gorst almost become self-aware of his lovely flaws/self-obsessed nature at the end of The Heroes, but nope! He just says "SOMETIMES I SHOULD JUST SHUT UP BECAUSE I HAVE A SQUEAKY VOICE" and learns nothing. It's so great.

On that note, I also have to congratulate Abercrombie on making another strong female lead in Finree the verbal lashing she gave Gorst at the end of The Heroes was born out of such righteous fury, and, in my mind at least, is what cements her as a person, not just some hot chick for dudes to lust after.

Basically Gorst has a 'nice-guy' complex and is a bad person.
I think I read into the Gorst character a different way. Basically what I ended up with is that Gorst lost it all in the fire and while he did lust after Finree, she has become some kind of symbol of the life he had/could have had and what he has now. Its not just about a hot girl who he wanted to marry and now never can, its about the status and respect he had as an elite officer, the honor of his title and family ancestry, etc. Its all gone and Gorst has convinced himself in his despair and madness that if he can somehow win Finree, through martial prowess (the only way he knows how), he can win it all back. But the fall has poisoned Gorst. He can no longer find the honor and glory in fighting and killing, and its soured into simple murder done so he can regain what he probably doesn't even want..

tl;dr, I agree, no one writes about evil characters doing good and good characters doing evil like Abercrombie. The tortured soul is his expertise.

Also, any chance we could get the OP updated with Red Country?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah, I've been meaning to update the OP for ages, honestly. I'm just lazy - I'll get round to it soon.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
...Say he's reviewing video games.

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/03/28/tomb-raider/

I can't wait for the Bioshock: Infinite review. I loved and hated that game, it will be interesting to hear the thoughts of a dude that is good at plots.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
My favourite thing about that review is the little exchange in the comments where Joe locks down the 'she has a hot arse' stuff very quickly.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

cheese posted:

I think I read into the Gorst character a different way. Basically what I ended up with is that Gorst lost it all in the fire and while he did lust after Finree, she has become some kind of symbol of the life he had/could have had and what he has now. Its not just about a hot girl who he wanted to marry and now never can, its about the status and respect he had as an elite officer, the honor of his title and family ancestry, etc. Its all gone and Gorst has convinced himself in his despair and madness that if he can somehow win Finree, through martial prowess (the only way he knows how), he can win it all back. But the fall has poisoned Gorst. He can no longer find the honor and glory in fighting and killing, and its soured into simple murder done so he can regain what he probably doesn't even want..

That's really interesting, I never thought about it that way.

I asked this before, but I heard that one edition of The Heroes had a short story about Gorst in it. Anyone have that edition and can tell what it's about?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Yeah - I've posted about it in this thread before. It's called Yesterday, At A Village Called Barden... and is about what happened to Gorst immediately prior to the events of The Heroes - just a skirmish he's involved with and 'distinguishes himself' in. It's pretty good but nothing earth-shattering.

Updated the OP, finally. Only about two years after I first intended to do so.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Joe has been hinting at a First Law graphic novel the last few days on Facebook with these teaser images.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
My mental image of Logen is a lot meaner and uglier-looking. That one is too Generic Fantasy Hero.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Insufficiently barbaric.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Too handsome. I always figured Logen looked like three miles of bad road.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Has there ever been a sci-fi/fantasy graphic novel made that didn't look like an anime?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

FMguru posted:

Too handsome. I always figured Logen looked like three miles of bad road.

In fact, its explicitly stated several times in the books that his face is so messed up with scars that he is extremely ugly to look at.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Yeah, that's no Logen. That's some Disney's pirate hero.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

The Facebook commenters mostly seem to agree. Assuming there really will be a graphic novel, I truly hope they will listen to the feedback.

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

withak posted:

Has there ever been a sci-fi/fantasy graphic novel made that didn't look like an anime?

Most don't. Start with Conan adaptations from the 1970ies and work your way to the present from there. Don't forget the French stuff, they are the masters of SF graphic novels.

The images posted look really bland, though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Jezal's description of Logen as he wanders around Adua should be the cornerstone of any visual depiction. A 6'6 horribly scarred manchild. I found it interesting none of the northerners described him as particularly large when he was loving gigantic by most people's standards.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 6, 2013

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You don't fight the bloody nine.. You get killed by him and that is it.

Pessimisten
Mar 24, 2008
I THINK TERRORISM IS OK, BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALLY THE TERRORIST THAT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, IT'S THE CAPITALIST SOCIETY PIGS. ALLAH AHKBAR!
My biggest problem is that slight smirk. The bloody nine doesn't smirk, he's a sad/angry/lost sap and that reflects in his face. The only smile you see on Logen is that of the devil painted in red.

Edit: Also, fingerless gloves, unstained band aids or arm wraps... and that belt buckle.

Pessimisten fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 6, 2013

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The image I have of Logan is basically Ron Perlman.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I loved every Abercrombie book, reread the series getting ready for red country, and the heroes is one of my favorite books of all time.

I can't finish Red Country. I don't know why but I hate it. It's like there's a different author. I tried to get more than 1/3 of the way through twice and I can't. It's getting OK reviews too, I don't know what's wrong with me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Umph posted:

I loved every Abercrombie book, reread the series getting ready for red country, and the heroes is one of my favorite books of all time.

I can't finish Red Country. I don't know why but I hate it. It's like there's a different author. I tried to get more than 1/3 of the way through twice and I can't. It's getting OK reviews too, I don't know what's wrong with me.

The second half is an improvement for what it's worth.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Jeffrey posted:

The second half is an improvement for what it's worth.

I'll try again someday. It reads like Joe was just totally creatively drained so it makes it harder to read because I know how amazing of a writer he is. I think the Heroes made him one of the best fantasy novelists of all time and should be a guidebook on how to write effective fiction. The guy needs/deserves a rest.

Maybe that's supposed to be caul or something. That can't be Logen. Logen is ugly as poo poo (even by northern standards) and that's what's so compelling about him. You don't even find out how ugly he is until hundreds of pages in. You think he's charming and handsome because of how intelligent his POV is, but then you find out he's trapped inside a giant lumbering butchered scarred hideous clumsy galoot. I mean he's Joes' character so he can be a swashbuckling handsome prince I guess but it completely betrays everything about the entire universe he's created in every way ever possible for all of eternity.

e; Unless it's a young Logen! That might work. He had some experience with women before his face was cut off 12 times, he was arrogant, and he even had a family so it could be a Logen back story, which would be neat.

ex2; Also he's not missing any fingers, so I bet it is a young Logen. I don't think cannon argues against Logen being comely as a young man.

ex3; Yeah he def has all 10 fingers, it's young Logen.

Umph fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 6, 2013

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

That page layout definitely made me think of The Blade Itself's opening battle with the Shanka, otherwise I would also take comfort in thinking that is the young version.

Of course everyone who reads the books has their own image of what the characters look like, and visualizations are bound to disappoint some, but that drawing just doesn't jive with the books at all and lots of people have said so.

For some reason I've spent the past couple of minutes trying to draw up a comparison to the casting in Game of Thrones, but I can't really put my thoughts together properly and anyway it might be apples and oranges. I will say that The Hound is a lot closer to my idea of Logen.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Umph posted:

I'll try again someday. It reads like Joe was just totally creatively drained so it makes it harder to read because I know how amazing of a writer he is. I think the Heroes made him one of the best fantasy novelists of all time and should be a guidebook on how to write effective fiction. The guy needs/deserves a rest.
Red Country follows in the footsteps of the other standalone novels in that it is an homage to a specific literary genre. As a Western, its different than Best Served Cold and Heros because both of those books take place outside of the normal day to day life. The Western has different themes and I think Red Country hits just about all of them really well (the frontier as a outlet for the rejected and unsettled of civilized society, native peoples vs. immigrants, the impact of rapidly changing technology, etc). It just does so at a slower pace compared to Heroes aka The Killer Angels.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Pierson posted:

YES! This! Me too.

I am psyched out of my mind at the prospect of The First Law being adapted into comics, but echoing what everyone else is saying about that drawing of Logen being completely off.

Vivoviparous
Sep 8, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Look at the top of the second picture. It's from The Blade Itself - Issue 1.

If you'll allow me to get my :spergin: on 1. that dude's got 10 fingers 2. Logen has a "face like a whipped back" 3. that outfit is terrible in every way 4. Logen carries a broadsword, not a claymore.

Doesn't really bode well in my opinion.

I'm not in the target demographic for a graphic novel and I can count on one hand tolerable adaptions of fantasy stories outside of the medium of novels so I'm not really heartbroken. I think his books could have a pretty broad appeal so I hope this nets him some new readers and some cash.

Hopefully this is a stepping stone to a party-based CRPG set in the First Law universe. :gizz:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Vivoviparous posted:

Hopefully this is a stepping stone to a party-based CRPG set in the First Law universe. :gizz:

I propose hack and slash action game starring Logan. It doesn't have to be canon at all, have Logan fight the Feared and Shivers and Bayaz and the Maker's dragon.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Of course everyone who reads the books has their own image of what the characters look like

I don't disagree at all, but you don't read Clifford the big red dog and then think he's a small green cat. The book is pretty specific and goes to enormous lengths to let us know that Logen is not a handsome person and doesn't cut a dashing figure. I know you're playing the devils advocate but, well, you know. That's why the reveal of him being quasi motto is so effective and such a masterstroke by Abercrombie, because he's such a kind and intelligent person (as long as no one is swinging an axe at his head). Honestly when the hints start dropping that he's monstrously disfigured it blew my mind on the first read through. Your mental image of Logen is eviscerated bit by bit until he arrives in Adua. He goes from generic roguish protagonist to deeply complicated puzzle. I don't usually care about this sort of thing but he's got to be my favorite fictional character of all time.

Of course they could be doing something clever so while Logen is in first person you see him as prince dashing until seen from anothers' perspective, or the deficiencies don't show up in the artwork until they are revealed. That would be neat.

Umph fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 7, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Vivoviparous posted:

Look at the top of the second picture. It's from The Blade Itself - Issue 1.

If you'll allow me to get my :spergin: on 1. that dude's got 10 fingers 2. Logen has a "face like a whipped back" 3. that outfit is terrible in every way 4. Logen carries a broadsword, not a claymore.

If Abercrombie is involved at all odds are that isn't present-day Logen, then. There's probably a "Logen's childhood" sequence somewhere in the comic.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 7, 2013

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
They just decided to write Logen Ninefingers under the picture for funsies.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Jeffrey posted:

I propose hack and slash action game starring Logan. It doesn't have to be canon at all, have Logan fight the Feared and Shivers and Bayaz and the Maker's dragon.
God of Law?

Also yeah, that's Not Logen at all. I would probably browse through a terrible comic adaptation if I got the feel that Joe got to make the calls on what stuff looked like. My problem with his books is that I never know know what some stuff looks like. I want to see The Divider and some Shanka and practical Frost concept art, much like that incredible Art of Discworld book (though interestingly even that got Vimes wrong by Pterry's own admission).

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

I usually go with Mickey Rourke's character from Sin City, Marv, but Perlman works well too.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

If Abercrombie is involved at all odds are that isn't present-day Logen, then. There's probably a "Logen's childhood" sequence somewhere in the comic.

Odds are Joe sold the rights and doesn't have a tremendous amount of say over the specifics of the comic. Also, comic artists almost always draw the heroes as beautiful people.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

Odds are Joe sold the rights and doesn't have a tremendous amount of say over the specifics of the comic. Also, comic artists almost always draw the heroes as beautiful people.

Don't see why he'd be parading it on his Facebook then.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

Don't see why he'd be parading it on his Facebook then.

That's a really stupid thing to say. Even if he sold the rights and gets nothing extra no matter how well the comic sells, he'd want it to do well because that puts him in a stronger bargaining position the next time someone wants to make something (comic, game, movie, whatever) based on his IP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

That's a really stupid thing to say. Even if he sold the rights and gets nothing extra no matter how well the comic sells, he'd want it to do well because that puts him in a stronger bargaining position the next time someone wants to make something (comic, game, movie, whatever) based on his IP.

Yeah that makes sense.