Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

QPZIL posted:

I only use it to evaluate if I have a true black/true white in my photo. Other than that, my eyeballs do the rest.

Explain that if you can?

Thank you to everyone else for answering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

Explain that if you can?

Thank you to everyone else for answering.

The very far left of the histogram is true black, i.e. 0,0,0 or #000000 or whatever.
The very far right of the histogram is true white, i.e. 255,255,255 or #FFFFFF or whatever.

My personal use of the histogram is to make sure that my dynamic range goes all the way from total 0 black to total full white. if my little Mount Histogram is only in the middle of the histogram and not touching the sides, I'll adjust the curves or levels to compensate.

Peever
Nov 14, 2004

This shit's chess, it ain't checkers! Shit. They build jails 'cause of me.
I find the histogram important when developing pictures I intend to print or use in a photo book. It helps me to increase the exposure so that the picture doesn't come out too dark.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thanks for the advice I will see if I can put that advice to work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I use the histogram if I am shooting in brightlight and cannot see the LCD clearly.

If the day is really bright, the screen gets overwhelmed by the sunshine: it is easier to look at the histo than it is to try to quantify the image quality on the screen

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

Stupid question of the day: how important or useful is the histogram on taking or evaluating a photo?
I use it regularly when shooting landscapes, but I'm old-fashioned and use GND filters instead of bracketing and merging in post. Histogram data is helpful in dialing in the correct exposure settings.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
In general its useful for judging if the majority of the photo is in the correct zone. Depends, if you're shooting an extreme closeup of the face you can pretty much expose by placing the huge spike in the histo in the correct area. It's a very useful tool that can help you dodge the trap of shoddy rear-LCDs, or in my case, piss-poor uncalibrated rental reference monitors.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Have we ever had a thread dedicated to framing and matting? Would that be something people would be interested in? I'm getting into it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah, that would be a good thread to make, we don't seem to talk about prints or presentation enough.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Yeah, that would be a good thread to make, we don't seem to talk about prints or presentation enough.

Thats probably because few of us actually have work worth printing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Musket posted:

Thats probably because few of us actually have work worth printing.

Seriously, how many matted and framed cat photos can a person really have?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Gonna start gifting out catte pics framed and matted. Should i use Matte paper or glossy?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Matte because it sounds like Catte.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Well this is awesome

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wanderlust/travelwide-45-camera

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Man, I'd hate to open Lightroom for this postprocessing session :o:

(HuPo is poo poo for news but occasionally has some nice photo sets)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That can't be right. Unless I botched my math that's like 1.3 million photos. I'm pretty sure he didn't take 1.3 million photos.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, he'd have to have a whole rucksack/sled full of hard drives to do that. I'm guessing someone messed up the maths and it's 100GB.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah don't get me wrong, that's still a lot of photos and a pain in the dick to go through in Lightroom, but 100GB is much more reasonable ;)

Hell, maybe the dude filled a few 64GB cards. I probably would too if I had an awesome camera and an amazing thing to photograph.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Martytoof posted:

That can't be right. Unless I botched my math that's like 1.3 million photos. I'm pretty sure he didn't take 1.3 million photos.

Maybe he was bracketing for HDR.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you shot one of these on a D800 at max RAW quality with 5 shot HDR bracketing I estimate it'd come to about 10,000GB, so maybe he just climbed a few mountains and shot a gigapixel panorama at each one. Mystery solved!

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Yeah don't get me wrong, that's still a lot of photos and a pain in the dick to go through in Lightroom, but 100GB is much more reasonable ;)

Hell, maybe the dude filled a few 64GB cards. I probably would too if I had an awesome camera and an amazing thing to photograph.

TBF the D800 file sizes are fuckoff large.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Yeah, I think his shutter would have crapped out long before 1.3 million pics!

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Let's say he shot the maximum four photos a second.

That's 3.76 days of continuous shooting. Like, literally holding down fire and assuming his buffer doesn't throw up or overheat and he somehow can swap cards quickly enough to keep up.

Then there's the whole ~100TB of storage to go somewhere.

Must be some crazy northern lights.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You could try to sell it for parts/as-is and hope you recoup enough to partially fund buying another one (I'm often surprised what busted stuff goes for), or keep an eye out for a donor with bad glass, although that'd probably require a professional to do the swap.

Sorry :smith:

This is actually an awesome idea, and you may have saved me.

Kyocera quoted me a ridiculous amount of money to repair it (more than a brand new one, even without the return shipping to Japan), but I found a hazy-glassed copy at Adorama for $350. Guy in the city says he can do the swap for a hundred bucks. It may still work out :ohdear:

-------------
Just to add to my recent streak of things going right... my card reader decided to corrupt the poo poo out of a 64gb card. A full 64gb card. Recovery software isn't finding anything.

FFS.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I have a question that sort of leads into a moral quandary of usage and what's fair and not fair to allow to be done with your work. I'm not even certain this is quite the right thread for posting this, but it seemed the best out of what's here.

To preface this all, I'm a photography student at a small community college, just going into my second year of courses. Our department consists of two instructors, of which the balance of first year was taught by one guy (whom is also the department head, and a good guy all around). The other, younger teacher manages the department's external website and teaches fewer classes, and... well, frankly there are a bunch of 'creative differences' that many students have with this guy, but that would be a huge e/n post in itself.

What I'm posting about here is: sometimes, if our instructors really like our work, they ask if we're willing to let them share it on our departments small website and Facebook page to promote the department as a whole. This has never been an issue in the past, as it not only helps out our fledgling program, but gets us a little exposure n the community as well. One of my recent assignments "made the cut" as it were, and I was asked if it was ok if they put it up on the website. Of course I said it was fine, and a while ago I went to have a look and noticed something was a bit off about the shot.

Here's the original, as screencapped from my own website (which is how we're required to submit assignments)

And here's the "version" that was uploaded to our program website

As anyone can see, it's been completely changed. :/ Is it normal for an instructor to "edit" work before putting it up like that? Because it seems quite odd to me, having studied art for many years, that a teacher would alter any work before displaying it to the public. Should I make a fuss about this, or just let it be? It kind of disappoints me that this teacher would do such a thing, and it's really difficult to tell if any of the other pieces on the school site have been messed with. :/

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
They shouldn't change your work without acknowledging they might do so, IMO. That said, it did improve the photo.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Ask what changes they made, and why. Then, if you think they overstepped, point out that you already edited the photo to your satisfaction, and no further changes were necessary in your opinion. Then you've got a difference in artistic opinion, rather than a case of "you did something bad!".

To be honest, it looks like somebody brought it into Lightroom, and clicked "auto white balance" and "auto tone". Lightroom's auto algorithm likes to take my pictures and crank up the colour temperature*, which is the first big difference that jumps out to me.

*Higher temperatures are actually more blue, not more red. But humans are weird and associate lower-absolute-temperature colours with concepts like "warmth".

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Right - the reason it bugs me so much is none of the other photos I've ever had posted on there (nor as far as I can tell, any from my classmates) have had anything changed at all, no color balancing or levels or anything beyond what the student themselves did.

I have no disillusions about the quality of it as a photograph - honestly I was shocked when he said he wanted to put it up, it's definitely pretty low on my list of shots I like. It's just strange to me that if he did have enough of an issue with whatever edits I made to start with, he didn't just say "Hey lets sit down and work on this together so we can talk about what you can do in the future to make your images better!"

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!
I'd ask to have it removed unless it was posted as I was satisfied with it. If they want to promote their own photoshop/lightroom skills, they can do so on their own shots. If they want to promote their department and the work those in the department put forth, then they should do so without editing it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
I would do as ExecuDork advised and ask why your work was edited from its original content.

lenitic
Jun 11, 2012
I had a similar issue once - website asked to publish photos and did so after editing the hell out of them making them look totally different to my work. I politely asked them to put up the originals and when they refused I told them to do it which was met with further refusal. Eventually I had to get a lawyer to write a pissy letter which did the trick. Normal people think this was overkill but I was furious at how they'd butchered my images

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

lenitic posted:

I had a similar issue once - website asked to publish photos and did so after editing the hell out of them making them look totally different to my work. I politely asked them to put up the originals and when they refused I told them to do it which was met with further refusal. Eventually I had to get a lawyer to write a pissy letter which did the trick. Normal people think this was overkill but I was furious at how they'd butchered my images

Some people value their name and personal brand more than others do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I gave permission for my work to be used, really the only way I'd be okay with them making edits is if there was no attribution or mention of my name. If they're specifically claiming something to be my work then I absolutely would not want them making changes to the material. And if I'm just generally giving permission then I've probably not sold the image or anything, so attribution would be the only thing I got out of it. Which makes this an open and shut case, though I left that part intentionally vague because I don't want to put emphasis on why I'm giving my work away rather than negotiating for it or something.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Anyone using a Microsoft Surface Pro to run Lightroom and Photoshop?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

Anyone using a Microsoft Surface Pro to run Lightroom and Photoshop?

Use a real computer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good job not answering his question at all!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

xzzy posted:

Good job not answering his question at all!

In this case it's pretty good advice.

It just seems like using Photoshop on that would be the most tedious thing ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wouldn't assume he expected the experience to be pleasurable. But knowing whether it's possible or not might be interesting, just from a "could you do it if you had to" perspective.

The guy that draws penny arcade did something like that when the Surface first came out.. went on vacation and did a strip on it from start to finish. He had a few complaints with the process but was in fact able to do his job.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I've read it seems to work well. The issues seem to be with the UI being tiny and the sliders being a pain at times.

I just wanted to know if anyone on here has tried it and what they thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Quickie: Is Understanding Exposure relevant to more advanced shooters or is it only a beginners text. I feel I know my poo poo regarding exposure, but I'm always looking for a chance to consolidate and broaden my understanding, am I going to be bored learning about how to eliminate handshake or does it get more indepth?