Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

duckfarts posted:

It got mentioned earlier, but the "Choice of" games are pretty loving cool. They have some free ones that have nags but seem otherwise complete, and straight up pay ones for 2-3 bucks. I played through Choice of Dragons once and I'm playing through Choice of Broadsides now. More than playing a Choose Your Own Adventure game, these are like playing a themed version of Alter Ego, and if you haven't played that, you should really click that link. I'm looking forward to grabbing either the Star Captain one or Eerie Real Estate Agent after I go through these a few times.
I want to point you at Versu and I'm curious what you think of it compared to Alter Ego and Choice of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I played an early build of Divekick last year and it's actually really fun, I'd LOVE to have that on iOS if the multiplayer worked and didn't lag badly.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Evil Fluffy posted:

After playing some endless runners I realized there's one that simply has to be made. An endless runner of the Battletoads jet bike track. :getin:

You know, as a kid I played the poo poo out of Battletoads and the jetbike stage (stage 3 best stage) was the only one I remembered when I played it again a couple years back. As in, I still had the muscle memory to do the drat patterns and complete it successfully.

so yeah, bring it on. The one endless runner I'll know how to play from the start!

now if you'd said that unicycle stage or something :stonk:

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anyone have any good word games (wordplay, anagrams, scrabble-style word construction from random letters) for ipad?
The more challenging, the better (that said, I hate time limits but that's a whole other animal).

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Quarrel was pretty fun, basically an anagram game crossed with Risk.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Psion posted:

You know, as a kid I played the poo poo out of Battletoads and the jetbike stage (stage 3 best stage) was the only one I remembered when I played it again a couple years back. As in, I still had the muscle memory to do the drat patterns and complete it successfully.

so yeah, bring it on. The one endless runner I'll know how to play from the start!

now if you'd said that unicycle stage or something :stonk:

Only if they don't ruin it with upgrades and stat progression and iap.

Who am I kidding this is ios gaming. It's only a matter of time before we start discussing how best to monetize your frustration with skillbased gameplay.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Zigmidge posted:

Only if they don't ruin it with upgrades and stat progression and iap.
Ahahaha, look at this guy suggesting that there could be an endless runner without upgrades and IAP ruining it.

On a somewhat-related note, I unlocked all 3 classes in Slayin today and I'm pretty much already bored with it. Is there anything else to the game other than what I've seen already?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Canabalt? Tiny Wings?

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

One Epic Knight is a fun endless runner and actually has pretty reasonable iap. The only problem is that the environment and obstacles get stale after a while.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
^^^ get out of my head

I like some endless runners with upgrades and optional IAP. Am I a monster?

I played the poo poo out of Temple Run and am currently addicted to One Epic Knight, I've spent hours playing it and am close to getting all the achievements. I spent $3 on the coin doubler and after a week of playing it spent another $2 on a bunch of potions.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sad lions posted:

Anyone have any good word games (wordplay, anagrams, scrabble-style word construction from random letters) for ipad?
The more challenging, the better (that said, I hate time limits but that's a whole other animal).
My go-to is SpellTower. It has a couple of modes, only one of which is timed. I find it pretty challenging in Puzzle mode since it'll ramp you up into having to give it words of a minimum length in order to get rid of letters, so you slowly drown in a sea of 5 & 6 requirement Js and Xs.

Plus it has a nice after-game breakdown where it'll try and give you the definition of all the fake words you tried and found out were 'Scrabble real'.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

So I remember someone in the past recommended the Hunters games for people who like tactics, but I was wondering if it's worth playing the original first or if I should just jump straight to the second one?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

fount of knowledge posted:

So I remember someone in the past recommended the Hunters games for people who like tactics, but I was wondering if it's worth playing the original first or if I should just jump straight to the second one?

The games are very similar and neither has amazing plot anything so not really.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Go ahead and play 2 but if you like it and want more Hunters, play the first.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Checking in to agree that Slayin is pretty drat fun, and I'd recommend it to someone looking for a cute, twitchy action game to play in short bursts.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Are there any futuristic setting (j)RPG's for iOS? Like besides the port of Phantasy Star 2, and not a space sim?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

DaveKap posted:

I want to point you at Versu and I'm curious what you think of it compared to Alter Ego and Choice of.

OK, this looks pretty cool, will definitely try it out. I also have a few of the Gamebook Adventures games/books, but haven't really gone through them yet; the Choice of stuff, like Alter Ego, just seems much easier to get into by way of being simple and uncluttered.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can someone recommend me some fun free games to download?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING

elmer fud posted:

Are you familiar with touch arcade? Or just the search feature here at SA? I honestly think you will be overwhelmed with awesome options. Appshopper isn't as useful as quality can be questionable, same with freeappaday.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jakewastaken posted:

Are you familiar with touch arcade? Or just the search feature here at SA? I honestly think you will be overwhelmed with awesome options. Appshopper isn't as useful as quality can be questionable, same with freeappaday.
I'm not familiar with the touch arcade, every free app I find tends to be lovely.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Actually a somewhat linear choose your own adventure I enjoyed was "cause of death." It's a police procedural and fun if you enjoy those kind of TV shows and wanted to dabble in playing the detective. Some minor puzzle solving and sometimes the choices are more of a test of if you can choose the right path rather than there being real branching. The first episode is free if I remember correctly so it's worth a try! I haven't played all that is available.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

elmer fud posted:

I'm not familiar with the touch arcade, every free app I find tends to be lovely.

Ah, well I think this will be right up your ally. It's both a website and an iOS app. It's just an ios review/news site. They are pretty honest about apps and whether they suck or not. If a really fun apps happens to go free they pop out an alert. http://toucharcade.com - it's also partially run by goons.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

elmer fud posted:

Solomon's keep. Solomon's boneyard. Hero academy. Blockheads. Tiny tower pocket planes nimble quest. Walking dead "ep 1 is free I think". Crickler. Letterpress. Infinity blade. Magic 2013 "free game, expansion packs are $". Plants vs zombies. Unpleasant horse.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

elmer fud posted:

Bug Heroes, a goon game.

Everyone should play Bug Heroes.

http://www.appshopper.com/games/bug-heroes

Play Bug Heroes. Buy the extra characters.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Keystoned posted:

Plants vs zombies.
This is free now? I can't believe I paid $3 for it! I only played it for 40-50 hours. :mad: WHERE IS MY VALUE FOR MONEY?

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

psylent posted:

This is free now? I can't believe I paid $3 for it! I only played it for 40-50 hours. :mad: WHERE IS MY VALUE FOR MONEY?

Man, I paid like 10 bucks and did the same thing.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

psylent posted:

I played it for twenty minutes and didn't really find it fun, but it was free, so I got infinite entertainment per dollar. Blows your finite epd out of the water. Sucker!!

Pray For Death
Dec 28, 2012

Sad lions posted:

QatQi, 7 Words, Wooords

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

jakewastaken posted:

Man, I paid like 10 bucks and did the same thing.
I think I paid $5 for the HD version for the iPad too. I've sunk a stupid amount of hours into that game.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Posted these over in the Star Command thread earlier but here's the first couple of previews of said game:

http://pockettactics.com/2013/04/08/these-are-the-voyages-star-command-hands-on-preview/

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/08/ign-plays-star-command

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet

Fazana posted:

I thought this looked really good from the website, noted it was £2.49 and thought wth, sometimes you should splash out. I already own it... I think it's time to go through my purchase history and see what else I bought early on and deleted to make room for other stuff >.<

Any starter tips similar to the ton of useful info banded around for The Quest? (Which I will probably get next after actually putting in some playtime in Silversword)

I am not sure about that but their official forum here has tons of stuff in it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Sad lions posted:

Puzzlejuice, SpellTower, QatQi, Crosswords Light. Get Letterpress, king of word games. If you happen to have an iPhone or don't mind playing in 2x mode then Lumicon is pretty good too (though it has severe time limits).

TACD fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 9, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

My go-to is SpellTower. It has a couple of modes, only one of which is timed. I find it pretty challenging in Puzzle mode since it'll ramp you up into having to give it words of a minimum length in order to get rid of letters, so you slowly drown in a sea of 5 & 6 requirement Js and Xs.

Plus it has a nice after-game breakdown where it'll try and give you the definition of all the fake words you tried and found out were 'Scrabble real'.

Just started with this and already loving it. Simple and well presented. The dictionary function is a really nice touch too. Perfect.

I also gave Qatqi a shot and, while beautiful, I found the design and music a little on the distracting side.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Sad lions posted:

It's not universal, iPhone only, but Wordjong is worth checking out. It's the tile matching Mahjong variant, but this time you need to clear the pattern by using the letter tiles to make words. Gets pretty challenging as obviously the better you make this word, the fewer good letters that may be left to clear the next one.

http://appshopper.com/games/wordjong

Also I was away from the forums for a couple of months. Was everyone talking about WarGames while I was gone? If not, you should all get WarGames. It's Dungeon Raid, but with a retro '80s feel, Matthew Broderick, and global thermonuclear war. You should buy WarGames.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

This looks so basic and bad. Wow.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Bottom Liner posted:

This looks so basic and bad. Wow.

Yeah, that's really disappointing. So much time spent on the game, and there's still spelling mistakes? I mean, c'mon guys.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

duckfarts posted:

It got mentioned earlier, but the "Choice of" games are pretty loving cool. They have some free ones that have nags but seem otherwise complete, and straight up pay ones for 2-3 bucks. I played through Choice of Dragons once and I'm playing through Choice of Broadsides now. More than playing a Choose Your Own Adventure game, these are like playing a themed version of Alter Ego, and if you haven't played that, you should really click that link. I'm looking forward to grabbing either the Star Captain one or Eerie Real Estate Agent after I go through these a few times.

Is there a decent amount of replayability to these? I've been through Broadsides once and Dragons twice, and while they're great fun I'm wondering whether there's more variation in the choices that pop in the paid-for apps. I know they're not hugely expensive (£1.99 in the UK app store) but I blasted through Dragons and Broadsides in about 10-15 mins each.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Owlkill posted:

Is there a decent amount of replayability to these? I've been through Broadsides once and Dragons twice, and while they're great fun I'm wondering whether there's more variation in the choices that pop in the paid-for apps. I know they're not hugely expensive (£1.99 in the UK app store) but I blasted through Dragons and Broadsides in about 10-15 mins each.

Everybody's saying they're definitely longer.

Also, Versu is iPad only. :argh:

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

TACD posted:

Puzzlejuice, SpellTower, QatQi, Crosswords Light. Get Letterpress, king of word games. If you happen to have an iPhone or don't mind playing in 2x mode then Lumicon is pretty good too (though it has severe time limits).
And don't forget Textropolis and it's smellier sister Fishtopolis both old but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I haven't really done much iOS gaming but me and the girlfriend had a lot of fun playing spaceteam on our iPads last night.

Its fun but I can see the novelty wearing off pretty quick. Are there any other good co-op games for the iPad/phone? I guess even a good 2 player competitive game would be cool too.

• Locked thread