Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Nice score man, the stones alone are great!

So I think... I think I'm in love. I bought some Rubio Monocoat and it's GREAT. Dip a rag in it, rub it on... wait 10 mins, wipe off the excess... 5 minutes later, it's totally dry - 24 hours later, ready for use (it's basically a light oil finish - retains the natural character of the wood but it isn't a film finish)

No VOC's - it basically just has this faint odour of marzipan. You only need one coat, too. For those of you with tiny shops that don't have air cleaners (IE, dusty shops), this might just be the perfect finish for you... it's worth a shot if you've got the money to spend - it's about $120/L but 1L will cover up to 550sf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Wanderless posted:

I've decided to make a case for my calipers, and I'm going to be cutting it from a piece of what I'm about 90% sure is walnut burl (It was given to me some time ago by a woodworker who was always doing crazily high-end furniture). Obviously I'm going to be doing a trial cut in a less fancy wood or maybe MDF

Like Wormil, I also know squat about CNC machines. Even with carbide bits, I'd avoid cutting MDF unless you have to. All that glue and grit can dull your bits, and it isn't going to react like walnut at all anyway. Even substituting a different wood isn't necessarily going to give you useful results for a test run. Cherry has a very high sugar content and will burn if you look at it funny. Cocobolo is very oily and dense and I've never had any problems with burning. Walnut is somewhere in the middle - both in terms of burning and smell. Cherry smells so nice, walnut smells good but it is an acquired smell, and cocobolo - you don't want to breathe that poo poo. Anyway, what I'm getting at is if you tested on a piece of sugar maple or cherry or some cheap pine, you'd get a lot of burning that you probably wouldn't get on your walnut. I'd just go out and get a piece of regular walnut and do my testing on that. You won't be able to test the reaction of the goofy (beautiful) burl grain, but the sugar content and density should be close enough to figure out your feed rates to avoid burning. And for the love of god, please do not finish walnut burl with stain and poly.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Someone told me, "walnut smells like cumrags when you put it through the table saw". One of the few times I just stood blinking at a person. I've been working with it a lot last fall and on and off again this winter and never noticed an odd odour.

Gen. Specific
Jan 17, 2004

Hello ladles.
Been lurking for a million years but never remember to post. Furniture making and design has recently become my sole source of income so I've been pretty busy, thought i'd post some of stuff I've made over the last month or so.

Cheval Mirror, based off a design the client liked:

6 Meter (236ish Inch) long dining table:

Not sure if you can tell from the photos but the centre line is made up of 300 or so individually dyed boards in a herringbone pattern

Matching bar:

Also had to make a bazillion of these box shelves

Working on this among other things at the moment

Let me know if I should post some other stuff

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back
Here's a shot of the loft ladder/bookshelf I built a bit back for a very small living quarters

Used up doug fir 2x and pallet scraps; nothing fancy but works well and shelves support a lot of weight

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gen. Specific posted:

:c00lbert:

Let me know if I should post some other stuff

Love that mirror, would you be offended if I stole the design for a friend? I like the clean, simple lines. Also: holy crap, that table :aaaaa:

Keep posting, post forever.

I'd love to hear about how you moved into furniture-as-a-living (or found yourself in that position, since it sounds like maybe it wasn't entirely by choice?), as well as how that's working for you, what you think of it, what you'd like to change...just brain dump your thoughts on the matter, I guess. It's not an option for me (or most people, I have to assume) but I'd find it really interesting to hear from someone who's doing that. Also that table, how on earth did you get such a job, who was it for and where, did you do it on your own, and how much did it cost (if you're able and willing to disclose that info, it's fair if you don't, honestly.)

tl;dr: GO ON, I'M LISTENING

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Blistex posted:

Someone told me, "walnut smells like cumrags when you put it through the table saw". One of the few times I just stood blinking at a person. I've been working with it a lot last fall and on and off again this winter and never noticed an odd odour.

Was this person 13?

Re: walnut burl - my concern would be the wild grain and tear out, or just flat out hunks of it flying off. Maybe my fears are unfounded though. I wouldn't use it for my very first cnc project.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Blistex posted:

What exactly was his reply when you asked him how much experience he had sniffing cumrags? Clearly, he must be a connoisseur.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know about you guys but mine always smells like freshly-cut aromatic cedar. v:shobon:v

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know about you guys but mine always smells like freshly-cut aromatic cedar. v:shobon:v

You might want to stop eating wood chips :raise:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

What exactly was his reply when you asked him how much experience he had sniffing cumrags? Clearly, he must be a connoisseur.

He's probably a scotch connoisseur... tastes of turpentine, saddle leather, an old Martian's socks, blueberries and cumrags.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I was just talking to a coworker who does some woodworking about my want to learn how to do some good miter joints for picture frame making. He suggested I take a look at Rail & Style router bits and said it's a much easier way to start out on frames.

I like the Rail & Stile style well enough, just trying to find some additional info on what the best bit would be to use for picture frames and how you'd want to inset the glass/matboard.

Does anyone have experience doing Rail & Stile work, and could you explain how you'd go about applying this to a photo frame?

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

MMD3 posted:

I was just talking to a coworker who does some woodworking about my want to learn how to do some good miter joints for picture frame making. He suggested I take a look at Rail & Style router bits and said it's a much easier way to start out on frames.

I like the Rail & Stile style well enough, just trying to find some additional info on what the best bit would be to use for picture frames and how you'd want to inset the glass/matboard.

Does anyone have experience doing Rail & Stile work, and could you explain how you'd go about applying this to a photo frame?

There are rail & stile setups made for applications with a glass panel, so that should work well enough for a picture frame.
http://amzn.com/B000NDH552

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

AbsentMindedWelder posted:

I think I autistically blurted out, "SO WHAT KIND OF TABLE SAW DO YOU HAVE!?!"

Very strange to hear that from someone, even stranger to hear it from someone you just just struck up a conversation with at Home Depot because you both happen to be waiting to see if there are any router accessories and the clerk is right in front of the both of you rifling through a bin.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

MMD3 posted:

I can't speak to rail + stile, but maybe look up keyed mitre joint construction.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Here's record bin I've been working on. Built out of 1 sheet of maple veneered plywood. I did all the cuts with a skillsaw and straight edge. I countersunk all the screws and plugged the holes with walnut plugs I made on my new drillpress.

I want to try doing an inlay on the front, and build a small dovetail drawer for underneath the top shelf. I also have some walnut edge banding to cover the plywood edges.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

One little piece of advice I've found invaluable: you can prevent the blowout seen above by doing two things: 1) get a blade for your saw with more teeth, and 2) flip the sheet so that you're cutting from the bottom with your circ saw, as if you were cutting it on an upside-down tablesaw. That is to say, the side you want to be pretty should be furthest from the saw.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I'm new to woodworking and I just wanted a couple projects that have already laid out plans so I can practice the basics. I found the "I Can Do That" series on Popular Woodworking and have been working on this little toolchest they call a gent's chest.

I've got everything done, except I haven't attached the moulding or the top panel yet. In the article they painted it green, but I think I would like to just finish it with something so it still looks like wood, and accentuates the two different woods. The box itself is just pine, but the moulding and top panel are red oak. Any suggestions on how to finish them? I've left it un-assembled so I can use separate finishes if need be. I was thinking something that would darken the pine like a stain or a colored danish oil but I haven't really seen what's out there yet. I'm open to suggestions.

Here's a picture of what it looks like so far (I've since planed down the top panel to make it a rough looking raised panel)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
edit: nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 10, 2013

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
So I made the "Jem of a Jewelry Box" from WOOD mag. I bought the plans for this when I first started woodworking. I remember I mis-cut the very first piece and then quit. I put the plans on a shelf and they got buried. I cleaned the shop a couple weeks ago and found them. Decided to give it a shot. My niece's 13th birthday of coming up and I think I'll give it to her.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Man that's smokin. Padauk, right? And curly maple obviously. Very nice. The padauk looks oiled but the finish on the maple is very clear. I like how the legs cover the dados.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

wormil posted:

Man that's smokin. Padauk, right? And curly maple obviously. Very nice. The padauk looks oiled but the finish on the maple is very clear. I like how the legs cover the dados.

Yes it is padauk and it is all finished with BLO and clear shellac. There is quite a bit of curl in the maple but it is hard to catch with my iphone camera.

One thing I wasn't expecting was for the padauk to start bleeding when I applied the shellac, so there are some pink streaks in the finish. I don't think it is noticeable to anyone but me though. I need to pick up some felt for the drawers and a small chain for the lid. If I counted correctly there are 43 pieces in that little box.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

Yes it is padauk and it is all finished with BLO and clear shellac. There is quite a bit of curl in the maple but it is hard to catch with my iphone camera.

One thing I wasn't expecting was for the padauk to start bleeding when I applied the shellac, so there are some pink streaks in the finish. I don't think it is noticeable to anyone but me though. I need to pick up some felt for the drawers and a small chain for the lid. If I counted correctly there are 43 pieces in that little box.

I wouldn't have guessed BLO which always turns my maple to amber. Lacquer made the padauk bleed on my marking knife but I'm surprised to hear that shellac caused the same problem. I picked up a can of spray shellac for next time. Makes me wonder if I can make a dye by soaking padauk in lacquer thinner.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, now I'm worried about my ever-unfinished poker table. It's got maple/bloodwood in the racetrack, I sure hope it doesn't bleed over into the maple when I finish it like I keep hearing padauk does.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bad Munki posted:

Huh, now I'm worried about my ever-unfinished poker table. It's got maple/bloodwood in the racetrack, I sure hope it doesn't bleed over into the maple when I finish it like I keep hearing padauk does.

I would definitely test some scrap beforehand, and spraying a sealer coat wouldn't be a bad idea in any case.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

wormil posted:

I wouldn't have guessed BLO which always turns my maple to amber. Lacquer made the padauk bleed on my marking knife but I'm surprised to hear that shellac caused the same problem. I picked up a can of spray shellac for next time. Makes me wonder if I can make a dye by soaking padauk in lacquer thinner.

The BLO didnt seem to penetrate as much as other times that I used it on maple. I wonder if its because I used a scraper to finish it instead of sandpaper? I think I did 4 or so coats of BLO and then let it cure for a full day. I bet you could tint lacquer thinner pretty easily with padauk since it is super oily.

BLO and shellac is my finish of choice, it is super easy and really brings out the beauty in the grain of most woods.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

The guy the runs the local hardwood store told me that bloodwood will actually bleed into maple over time if they are glued together.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

mds2 posted:

The guy the runs the local hardwood store told me that bloodwood will actually bleed into maple over time if they are glued together.

Oh well, then, I guess we'll see! :downs:

dja98
Aug 2, 2003
In the summertime, when the weather is high, you can stretch right up and touch the sky

mds2 posted:

Whilst I'm sure this is possible, I'm actually sitting next to a small 6"x0.5"x1" sample of bloodwood, maple and purpleheart that I glued together with Titebond and coated with shellac about 18 months ago. So far, I don't see any bleeding - maybe I was just lucky?

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Ever wonder how a fine woodworker changes a lightbulb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-NUzHXhw2k

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Another tool swap is coming up on LJ's. Someone mentioned they might be interested.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/48643

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

wormil posted:

Another tool swap is coming up on LJ's. Someone mentioned they might be interested.

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/48643

Awesome. I voted for planes but it looks like its going to be marking gauges.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

dja98 posted:

Whilst I'm sure this is possible, I'm actually sitting next to a small 6"x0.5"x1" sample of bloodwood, maple and purpleheart that I glued together with Titebond and coated with shellac about 18 months ago. So far, I don't see any bleeding - maybe I was just lucky?

I was kind of skeptical when he told me that but who knows. Maybe a really oily piece would?? Maple is so tight grained that I don't know if it would really be an issue. Maybe with bloodwood and poplar or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

Awesome. I voted for planes but it looks like its going to be marking gauges.

I voted for plane also since I have 2 marking gauges. Can never have too many planes.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

wormil posted:

I voted for plane also since I have 2 marking gauges. Can never have too many planes.

Want to swap planes?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

mds2 posted:

Want to swap planes?

Definitely. Swaps are fun.

edit: I'm in on the marking gauge swap and this, looking forward to both.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 13, 2013

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Cool. Anyone else want in on a plane swap?

I was digging through scraps last night looking for pieces big enough.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
I've been keeping my eye out for a tablesaw on craigslist and saw this one, a Shopcraft t7085-20p: http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/3734332146.html

From what I can find, the saw was sold under two different brands, neither of which exist anymore. But, the seller keeps emailing me just telling me to make an offer, so I could probably pick it up for pretty cheap. Any opinions on it?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
What's he asking?

If you're fine with the price, I'd go for it. It's cast iron, you can swap motors easily if you want, and if it feels right (no loose or crappy adjustments) then I'd say go for it. Throw on a link belt and a Delta fence*, and you'll have a table that will do better work than you're capable of.

*new fence isn't always necessary. Maybe this one works well, or maybe you don't care. I have a fence that I have to use a square on every time I adjust it and it doesn't bother me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Here's a brandubh board I made as a gift for my in-laws. Haven't made the pieces yet but they are basically wood checkers. Painted tile with walnut frame, clear coated with shellac.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 13, 2013