Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Just picked up a Nexus 10. Loving it so far except for one thing: The upper right of the rear about halfway between the camera and the micro USB port gets hot then shortly after HD Widgets and whatever apps I'm running crash.

Unplugging it from the charger seems to cool it down but its still noticeably warmer than the rest of the tablet :(

*edit It might have been a game causing it, not sure yet, still testing.

BarkingSquirrel fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
If anyone needs a Nexus 7 case, that generic case 3 different companies is selling is on sale on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-Folio-N...0_kr4W3_SgM_0_0

If you use the code it drops it down to $5.95 total.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

FordPRefectLL posted:

If anyone needs a Nexus 7 case, that generic case 3 different companies is selling is on sale on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Acase-Folio-N...0_kr4W3_SgM_0_0

If you use the code it drops it down to $5.95 total.

That one is missing the elastic straps.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Oh, you're right. I didn't look too closely.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's still a good deal, it's a clone of the Targus one sold in store at Staples, which sells for $40 and seems worth the money so far. Ordered the Moko one yesterday, though. :v:

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

My Nexus 7, which I've had for about a month and a half now, just suddenly won't power on. I haven't used it to death or anything, it hasn't been dropped, gotten wet, or even jostled.

Is there anything I can do to attempt to reset it or anything? Has anyone run into this?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Combo posted:

My Nexus 7, which I've had for about a month and a half now, just suddenly won't power on. I haven't used it to death or anything, it hasn't been dropped, gotten wet, or even jostled.

Is there anything I can do to attempt to reset it or anything? Has anyone run into this?

Lots of people. Charge it overnight and if it still won't turn on go for a warranty repair or replacement.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking about rooting my Nexus 7 so I can get wireless ADB going for development purposes. I can't tell, though, does rooting wipe out all information on the device, or is that just unlocking?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

randyest posted:

Lots of people. Charge it overnight and if it still won't turn on go for a warranty repair or replacement.

Well crap :(

The bootloader suggestion on that page didn't work for me. I'll leave it charging overnight or possibly rip it open and unplug the battery tomorrow to see if that does anything.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Karthe posted:

I'm thinking about rooting my Nexus 7 so I can get wireless ADB going for development purposes. I can't tell, though, does rooting wipe out all information on the device, or is that just unlocking?

Just unlocking, but I'm pretty sure you have to be unlocked to root. You could try backing up everything with carbon then unlocking it.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Combo posted:

Well crap :(

The bootloader suggestion on that page didn't work for me. I'll leave it charging overnight or possibly rip it open and unplug the battery tomorrow to see if that does anything.
Since it's so new I'd personally be reluctant to start taking it apart and possibly mucking something up that could result in warranty grief. Out of warranty would be a different story, but of course that's all up to you. If it were me I'd get a new one since it's so new and who knows if the "fix" will stick even if you do manage to avoid breaking something worse.

Good luck!

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

randyest posted:

Since it's so new I'd personally be reluctant to start taking it apart and possibly mucking something up that could result in warranty grief. Out of warranty would be a different story, but of course that's all up to you. If it were me I'd get a new one since it's so new and who knows if the "fix" will stick even if you do manage to avoid breaking something worse.

Good luck!

I was deathly afraid of opening mine, but I gave it a shot after a 2 foot drop caused the screen to distort. Its very easy to do and if he's just trying to reseat the battery connection to see if it fixes it, its well worth the two minutes it takes to do.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Okay I'm on my Nexus 10 and as of this afternoon it stopped loading a website I frequent. It just times out and Chrome says "oops". According to a google search, the site is up and there's just something wrong with my DNS but nothing about how to fix it on a Nexus 10.

Anyone here know how to fix it?

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

If I have headphones and a charger plugged into my Nexus 10 at the same time, I hear a weird hissing with occasional crackling. You can't hear it over the audio if something I splaying, but it's really distracting if, for example, I pause a video to go look something up on the net. Is this normal?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mill Town posted:

If I have headphones and a charger plugged into my Nexus 10 at the same time, I hear a weird hissing with occasional crackling. You can't hear it over the audio if something I splaying, but it's really distracting if, for example, I pause a video to go look something up on the net. Is this normal?
This can happen on most devices under the right (wrong) conditions. You can try a different charger or try a USB battery pack if you have one.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Well i received my Primal P9X yesterday and so far its great. Super smooth and fast, plays hd video and looks really good. I can't even really notice it supposed low resolution, so it seems to be fine for my purposes. The battery is suprisingly good, I was using it heavily for an hour and it only went down only 2 or 3 percent in battery. I really really like this thing. Say what you will, in case anyone is considering an off-brand Chinese tablet, you can't do much better than a Primal P9X.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gozinbulx posted:

I was using it heavily for an hour and it only went down only 2 or 3 percent in battery.
I see they're using LG battery drivers.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
How hard is it to replace a tablet screen? My SO dropped my transformer on a corner and now there is a big crack though the screen and it won't register touching. I could live with the crack but not if I can't interact with the tablet anymore.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Depends on the tablet.

However, unless you have something newer in the 10" range, it's going to cost more to replace the display than it would be to replace the tablet.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yawgmoft posted:

How hard is it to replace a tablet screen? My SO dropped my transformer on a corner and now there is a big crack though the screen and it won't register touching. I could live with the crack but not if I can't interact with the tablet anymore.

You can get a new digitizer(The front glass part) for $100 on amazon. The problem is that you're more likely to actually break the LCD screen trying to replace the glass. The glass is also very sensitive to bending as it is extremely thin.

There are also different versions of the digitizer for the tablet and if you get the wrong one it'll invert the x-axis.

I took my Transformer Prime to a shop in Atlanta that did tablet repairs and it was about $150 to get it fixed, but they didn't even fix it. They broke it even further. The digitizer was still working on mine, unlike yours, after I cracked the screen. After I got it back from them the LCD screen would not turn on anymore. I've sent them back to them twice to get it fixed, at their cost, and it still keeps coming back broken.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 9, 2013

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Combo posted:

Mine did something similar, the morning I was selling it, around Christmas.

It came back to life, after I left on the charger for about 10 minutes and held down the power button + volume down for about a minute. Been working fine and her kids love the thing.

Rubicon fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 9, 2013

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anyone else use a Nexus 7 with the charging dock?

Since I got the dock and started using it, I've encountered a weird error - using the dock overrides the "lock orientation" option and even when undocked, the override persists.

The only way I can get my N7 to obey the lock orientation option is to restart every time after barging via the dock.

Anyone know of a fix?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Stock keyboard on my N4 has numbers above the top row for quick long-press access, my N7 doesn't. Can this be turned on somewhere in the options I haven't found?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

Stock keyboard on my N4 has numbers above the top row for quick long-press access, my N7 doesn't. Can this be turned on somewhere in the options I haven't found?
There's no setting for it. For some reason Google deliberately made the keyboard subtly change design between Phone and Tablet mode.

You can install ParanoidAndroid, try to get the keyboard to run in Phone mode, realise it looks kind of huge and ugly and that everything about PA is a disaster anyway. Or you can try Kii Keyboard which I believe was originally a fork of the AOSP keyboard though I've never actually used it. Or I think there are a couple of modified versions of the stock keyboard on XDA somewhere.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Got a weird problem with my tablet (Asus Transformer TF300 running 4.2.1, not rooted):

Whenever I plug the charge cable, the tablet keeps repeatedly waking up, about ever 15-30 seconds, with an audible beep. So, I plug in the charger, put it down, tablet goes to sleep, there's a beep, it wakes up, eventually goes to sleep, repeat. This happens whether I explicitly toggle the tablet to sleep or let it go to sleep.

It's annoying to say the least - I've ended up turning down the volume to muffle the incessant beeping. It seems to be independent of charge level. I wondered if it was the launcher up to something, so I went back to the stock launcher but that hasn't done anything. This didn't used to happen, so I doubt it's any of the apps that I've had on there for months (Facebook, etc.). Googling around, it looks like this is a common issue - but without any common solution.

Any ideas? Any logs or something I could look at to see what's waking the tablet?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
A bit more to report about the Primal P9X:

With concerns to the battery life, yesterday, after having used it throughout the day, the battery was at about 40 percent by night time. I sat down and started watching streaming TV (Vulkano app). After a little over 3 hours of uninteruppted viewing, the tablet finally died. I'm not sure how much of a battery drain streaming video at ~300 kb/s is supposed to be but I was pretty impressed. Definitely a good choice for anybody interested in off brand tablets.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Ozmodiar posted:

Anyone else use a Nexus 7 with the charging dock?

Since I got the dock and started using it, I've encountered a weird error - using the dock overrides the "lock orientation" option and even when undocked, the override persists.

The only way I can get my N7 to obey the lock orientation option is to restart every time after barging via the dock.

Anyone know of a fix?

I have the dock, but I can't say I've seen the problem. With rotation locked mine will rotate on the dock, but it rotates back and locks to portrait when I pick it up. Does re-seating it in the dock and taking it off again help? It might not be getting the "off-dock" signal for some reason.

My only problem is I can't get Tasker to recognize it's been set in the dock.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Jigoku San posted:

I have the dock, but I can't say I've seen the problem. With rotation locked mine will rotate on the dock, but it rotates back and locks to portrait when I pick it up. Does re-seating it in the dock and taking it off again help? It might not be getting the "off-dock" signal for some reason.

My only problem is I can't get Tasker to recognize it's been set in the dock.

I think Tasker has a board somewhere where you can suggest new features. I'd be surprised if they can't find a way to detect when the device is docked.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Huh, the official snap-on Nexus 10 cover is finally out. Comes in gray and red.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_10_Cover_Dark_Grey?id=nexus_10_cover_gray

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kitten smoothie posted:

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_10_Cover_Dark_Grey?id=nexus_10_cover_gray
Hooooooly poo poo! Now where's the charging dock for it?

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
Have any of you seen the new iOS app StatusBoard? I've been looking for an android app like this for a while, I have a touchpad on my wall with cyanogen that I use home screen widgets on to show time and weather, FB feed, etc. But I always wished for a connected app like Status Board, is there anything similar for android?

http://panic.com/statusboard/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Axim posted:

Have any of you seen the new iOS app StatusBoard? I've been looking for an android app like this for a while, I have a touchpad on my wall with cyanogen that I use home screen widgets on to show time and weather, FB feed, etc. But I always wished for a connected app like Status Board, is there anything similar for android?

http://panic.com/statusboard/
I think Chameleon Launcher should work for that. I tried using it, but got bored trying to set it up.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

kitten smoothie posted:

$40 with tax and shipping. Googles default two day shipping is infuriating. Especially when they don't ship for three or four days.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I still need a cover for my Nexus 10, has anyone used the MoKo Ultra Slim? I like the looks (and price) of it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have that one, actually. I also have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIK4JUY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the Moko one a little bit more, but I ordered the official Google cover. If you want the one I linked, I'll sell it to you for ten bucks to basically cover shipping, it's just sitting around.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have that one, actually. I also have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AIK4JUY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the Moko one a little bit more, but I ordered the official Google cover. If you want the one I linked, I'll sell it to you for ten bucks to basically cover shipping, it's just sitting around.

I'll pass, call me a racist if you must, but I don't want that white cover mixing with my black Nexus. I appreciate the offer though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm reposting this from the PC build thread, where they told me to ask around here.

quote:

This isn't exactly a typical PC, however I am very interested in building a device that will share and control the screen with my Galaxy Note II on a larger touchscreen mounted in the dashboard (roughly double din), or building a standalone unit that runs on Android and has GPS, an amplifier for the speakers, and the ability to connect to my phone to get internet. Is it even possible to build a computer like you normally would, then load it with an Android OS? I'm guessing no

Does anyone know of a place to start for either idea? I've seen carputer builds, but those were ridiculously pricey and the interfaces were usually poorly designed, programmes running over Win7, or Linux carputer OS's that look like they're from the late 90's. I noticed that Radioshack sold circuitboards/breadboards, microcontrollers, and other goodies that I'd love to potentially mess with (if it's possible, anyways).

Other option is to use an old Droid Incredible 2's board, connect a larger screen and an amp to it, and flash it with a tablet version of JB.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I figured it may be the start of some good information on this

quote:

Tunga posted:

You should probably just buy a Nexus 7 3G. I'm not sure about the amp part but mine sounds fine through desktop speakers.

I was considering that, and seeing if there is a way to hook up my current car-audio set up into it, however I would want I really would like to avoid having to pay extra money on my phonebill for the tablet (since it's not really in my budget right now, anyways).

I don't have tethering either, and I stumbled across this thing earlier, however it's $200 for the board, and it seems like an otherwise easy thing to make by yourself. I suspect it's not though, which is why it's so expensive.

Suppose I did buy the board from the video, where would I get a touchscreen for it similar to the ones they use on the iPad/Android tablet screens? I'm not sure if they're using the 6.5in/7in screens they're selling on their website on their website (specs), but it seems to be the same type for a decent price. and it looks like this could be a fun project.

edit; here's the board's user manual: http://www.customgadz.com/store/cgdownloads/MimicsX2/Manuals/MimicsX2%20Manual.pdf

Anyone have any opinions or ideas?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A guy on FT86 club installed a Nexus 7. I imagine a lot of his work can be adapted for use with whatever: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16435

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm reposting this from the PC build thread, where they told me to ask around here.

Anyone have any opinions or ideas?

You want it to connect to your phone for internet but you don't have tethering? The nexus 7 sounds like the best idea, if you can generate a WiFi hotspot you can tether. I don't believe carriers can detect one android device tethering through another but I might be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
If you root/put a custom rom on your phone (Cyanogen for instance) you should be able to enable tethering. And no, you're carrier won't notice.

One thing I'm not sure about is getting GPS on it, I guess for that a full-on tablet with it already built in is needed.

As for small, self contained Android machines these are pretty cool.