Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I just can't stand the sound of default general MIDI instruments, especially when they try to do electric guitar. It ends up sounding almost like Genesis/Megadrive FM robo-farting, but without actually having the interesting chiptune limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song
So speaking of old Mac games that don't work on OS X anymore, goon Haveblue and I did this.

haveblue (with some of my assistance) ported Pathways into Darkness to OS X.

You can grab it (Free!) on the Mac App Store here.

Bungie didn't want to GLP the source, so they granted me and Mark permission to port it over in a quasi licensing agreement. I wanted to post about this sooner, but Bungie is very tight lipped on things. This news is officially going out tomorrow morning, but I wanted to share this with goons right away.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hippieman posted:

So speaking of old Mac games that don't work on OS X anymore, goon Haveblue and I did this.

Bungie didn't want to GLP the source, so they granted me and Mark permission to port it over in a quasi licensing agreement. I wanted to post about this sooner, but Bungie is very tight lipped on things. This news is officially going out tomorrow morning, but I wanted to share this with goons right away.
Fantastic! Good to hear the source still exists, even if it's not openly available. Kind of funny to see the old System 7 fonts on modern OSX dialogue boxes.

Any chance of a Windows port? I'm guessing not, since this was always a Mac thing, but it never hurts to ask.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

hippieman posted:

Well done, this sounds like it was hard work!

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Dominic White posted:

I just can't stand the sound of default general MIDI instruments, especially when they try to do electric guitar. It ends up sounding almost like Genesis/Megadrive FM robo-farting, but without actually having the interesting chiptune limitations.

I dunno, dude. Listening a second time to the soundfont sampler you posted, and actually comparing it directly to the original track this time, the version you posted sounds pretty darn muted, lifeless, and artificial in comparison. It's marginally better than the other replacement soundfonts I've been recommended, but that's an incredibly low bar to set -- it's still definitely a pretty major downgrade from the original track in terms of sonic range, instrument quality, punchiness, etc.

There's a massive hole in the middle of the soundfont version's mix, making the instruments feel really hollow. The drums, like I mentioned in the previous post, are completely non-present, and sound like they were assembled from several different sources with no effort made towards proper EQ, dynamics processing, or even setting their levels correctly in relation to one another. The distorted guitar is more fuzz than note, totally lacking the clearer harmonics of the SoundCanvas distorted guitar, which causes its chords and melody to lose a lot of clarity.

Forgive me if this comes across as more inflammatory than I intend, but like most other custom soundfonts, it sounds paper-thin and like an amateur mix job.

I'd second your suggestion to use something other than FMOD for midi playback regardless, though, as for some reason it plays them in mono. There's a lot of instrument panning and stereo-width stuff going on in a lot of the songs, and it loses all of that. The standard Windows GS device does the trick, or you could alternately use FluidSynth, Bassmidi, or Timidity with a SoundCanvas soundfont. Here's the one I use when I'm composing and mixing.

BTW, I posted some shots on Doomworld the other day previewing Back to Saturn X episode 2. There's a lot still under wraps, but this should give a little taste of what's to come:

Vader - The Theory of Broken Circles

Tarnsman - Unbaited Vicar of Scorched Earth

Esselfortium - Eureka Signs

Xaser - Beneath a Festering Moon

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I am seriously 4 minutes into BTSX 1 and it's beautiful. Does the GZDoom version required passing the .DEH file in the command line? It seems to work either way but I want to make sure before getting too far in.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

horse mans posted:

I am seriously 4 minutes into BTSX 1 and it's beautiful. Does the GZDoom version required passing the .DEH file in the command line? It seems to work either way but I want to make sure before getting too far in.

I'm pretty sure (but can't double check) that BTSX has an embedded BEX that auto-loads in ports that support it (which GZDoom should) that has the same function as the DEH. If I'm wrong, it doesn't matter, because all it's going to do is change the map names in the automap and the story texts after MAP06, MAP11, etc..

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I keep coming across amazing looking areas and then realizing that it all works in vanilla doom. Impressive stuff.

Thanks for the MIDI instrument primer essel, now I have something else to obsess over for doom. :3:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kmxexii posted:

I'm pretty sure (but can't double check) that BTSX has an embedded BEX
Yep, there is an internal DEHACKED lump.

kmxexii posted:

that auto-loads in ports that support it (which GZDoom should)
It does.

kmxexii posted:

If I'm wrong, it doesn't matter, because all it's going to do is change the map names in the automap and the story texts after MAP06, MAP11, etc..
And that stuff is also set in the ZMAPINFO lump, which makes the whole dehacked thing redundant in ZDoom. (There's also an EMAPINFO for people who prefer to play with the Eternity port.)

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

BTSX is worth running on doom2.exe/Chocolate Doom at least once just to marvel at the fact that such a pretty map set runs on doom2.exe.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

hippieman posted:

Awesome, I get to use my parent's Mac again to play a Bungie game, just like the good old days! :3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kins posted:

Fantastic! Good to hear the source still exists, even if it's not openly available. Kind of funny to see the old System 7 fonts on modern OSX dialogue boxes.

Any chance of a Windows port? I'm guessing not, since this was always a Mac thing, but it never hurts to ask.

If a Windows port happens, it won't be done by me (not my specialty), so without a more liberal source release that's pretty unlikely. Right now the game is about 80% platform-agnostic gameplay code, 10% easily portable OpenGL/OpenAL invocation, and 10% OS X GUI.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I was really impressed with BTSX and was having a blast with it but as someone who hates revenants, having one or two of the fuckers around every other corner starting within the first six levels really sapped my desire to keep going. I didn't finish it.

Also, to continue my negativity, I played through DTWIDI Ep1 last year and kept getting annoyed that every secret area seemed to swell into some overblown hidden passageway that dumped me out someplace I had already been and got me lost every time. I only finished the first episode.

No Rest for the Living is my favorite WAD ever, for perspective. Those levels are very tightly designed and don't overstay their welcome.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Copper Vein posted:

I was really impressed with BTSX and was having a blast with it but as someone who hates revenants, having one or two of the fuckers around every other corner starting within the first six levels really sapped my desire to keep going. I didn't finish it.

Try a lower difficulty setting -- they've all been tested and balanced.

esselfortium fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 9, 2013

hippieman
May 8, 2004

Butcher of Song

haveblue posted:

If a Windows port happens, it won't be done by me (not my specialty), so without a more liberal source release that's pretty unlikely. Right now the game is about 80% platform-agnostic gameplay code, 10% easily portable OpenGL/OpenAL invocation, and 10% OS X GUI.

If someone out there wants to port this to windows, I can most likely clear the paperwork to make this happen. But if you leave it up to me and haveblue, it'll be Mac only. Likewise if some brave (or stupid) soul wants to try to port this to iPhone, I can help push that through, but god help you.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

hippieman posted:

If someone out there wants to port this to windows, I can most likely clear the paperwork to make this happen. But if you leave it up to me and haveblue, it'll be Mac only. Likewise if some brave (or stupid) soul wants to try to port this to iPhone, I can help push that through, but god help you.

I'm doing a big feature article for Indie Statik about old mainstream titles turned indie (or at least officially passed down to their fans), like Marathon and Pathways - mind dropping some contact details on that for me to include? Because I'd love to play a native Windows version of it, and spreading the word that Bungie would give official blessing if someone's willing to step up might help.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 10, 2013

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I don't believe I saw this mentioned anywhere in the thread: I just found out about a handy little Doom utility available here, called the "Unofficial Master Levels for Doom 2 Patch." If you have the Master Levels, point this program toward their wads and it'll combine them into a single-wad extra episode for Doom II. It even has a few level orders to choose from, mostly based on the various console ports.

Copper Vein posted:

I did finish it. You know what the BTSX team loved more than revenants? Revenants accompanied by arch-viles. :unsmigghh: The final level was... something else, as well. It didn't exactly help that I was playing it with Samsara, as Duke. I would have much rather had the BFG for that level than the Devestator.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hippieman posted:

I've put a call out to the Doom community to see if there's any interest there. Should I just PM you if I find someone with the skills and interest, or is there a proper e-mail address I should point them to?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

hippieman posted:

How about getting in touch with the people over at GOG.com? They could help you with the Windows port, and it'd be on a better place than the Apple app store.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dominic White posted:

I'm doing a big feature article for Indie Statik about old mainstream titles turned indie (or at least officially passed down to their fans), like Marathon and Pathways - mind dropping some contact details on that for me to include? Because I'd love to play a native Windows version of it, and spreading the word that Bungie would give official blessing if someone's willing to step up might help.

I just have to say that Activision's officially sanctioned re-release of the 90s PC RTS Dark Reign on the Xbox Live Indie Games channel by some random fan developers had better be in that article.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Dominic White posted:

You write for them often? If so keep up the good work, that's one of my new favorite indie sites.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

RiffRaff1138 posted:

I don't believe I saw this mentioned anywhere in the thread: I just found out about a handy little Doom utility available here, called the "Unofficial Master Levels for Doom 2 Patch." If you have the Master Levels, point this program toward their wads and it'll combine them into a single-wad extra episode for Doom II. It even has a few level orders to choose from, mostly based on the various console ports.

I did finish it. You know what the BTSX team loved more than revenants? Revenants accompanied by arch-viles. :unsmigghh: The final level was... something else, as well. It didn't exactly help that I was playing it with Samsara, as Duke. I would have much rather had the BFG for that level than the Devestator.

I feel like BTSX is just the right difficulty at UV, where I have to do levels multiple times to get it right. Plus I love the amount of work they put into the level design and aesthetics. I can't wait for Ep 2.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Its a really lovely level set and the difficulty is nice even on UV. Still, 21+? maps all in techbases gets a little much. Probably better than 21+ maps in hell though :angel:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

maev posted:

Its a really lovely level set and the difficulty is nice even on UV. Still, 21+? maps all in techbases gets a little much. Probably better than 21+ maps in hell though :angel:

That's pretty much my only complaint with BTSX--because of the way they're building each "episode", the levels feel somewhat aesthetically homogeneous. I don't think it would be as apparent if you were playing the WAD slowly, but if you're blasting through it a handful of sessions, it's hard not to notice.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's pretty much my only complaint with BTSX--because of the way they're building each "episode", the levels feel somewhat aesthetically homogeneous. I don't think it would be as apparent if you were playing the WAD slowly, but if you're blasting through it a handful of sessions, it's hard not to notice.

The character of the bases does change as you go along, I just finished US Mustard Company (love the level names) and it's a much grungier techbase.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Install Gentoo posted:

I just have to say that Activision's officially sanctioned re-release of the 90s PC RTS Dark Reign on the Xbox Live Indie Games channel by some random fan developers had better be in that article.

That might get an honorable mention. I'm trying to make it all free stuff (and there's plenty to cover even there), but thanks for the reminder. That's a pretty interesting one. Sega adopting the fan-made Sonic CD port also falls into that category.

Reive posted:

You write for them often? If so keep up the good work, that's one of my new favorite indie sites.

Thanks! I do a lot of the reviews, sometimes news and a lot of the big article stuff. I did that honkin' great Roguelike roundup a while back.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SavageMessiah posted:

The character of the bases does change as you go along, I just finished US Mustard Company (love the level names) and it's a much grungier techbase.

Yeah, I know. I'm not saying the levels are identical. I'm saying they're "somewhat aesthetically homogeneous". Like, they're really similar--moreso than most WADs I've played.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is there anyway to change the HUD size in Zandronum so it doesn't look tiny at 1080p?
I've done it before in skulltag, but I think it might of been a console command thing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Reive posted:

Is there anyway to change the HUD size in Zandronum so it doesn't look tiny at 1080p?
I've done it before in skulltag, but I think it might of been a console command thing.

I don't have the game in front of me right now but you want "hud scaling". Look for that under display or hud options.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Reive posted:

I was able to, yeah. You go into Display Options > Messages > Scaling Options. You'll have to toy with it a bit.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
How do I get bmouse working with Cryptic Passage?

e: Just like you do with Blood, duh. Just had some things in my config that made CP not launch.

Bloodmobile fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 11, 2013

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
So some guys are making a Duke thing that should be out on the 15th this month. Here's hoping it's remotely as good as it makes itself out to be.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bloodmobile posted:

How do I get bmouse working with Cryptic Passage?

e: Just like you do with Blood, duh. Just had some things in my config that made CP not launch.

I am honestly amazed that bmouse works at all. I really had no idea what I was doing. I can read C a little but overall it was a total hackjob that I could only compile using Borland Turbo C++ 4.0, released in 1993. I threw in an INI reader library that I found (which I forgot to credit in the readme, oops. MIT license or something I think) and JonoF helped me write some code to fill in the gaps.

They should just loving release Blood's source code already. That bullshit about it potentially fracturing the userbase because of multiple multiplayer source ports is ridiculous and it being closed source means none of the innovations that have gone into eduke32 could be merged. It'll be just another broken, half-assed source port coded by people who aren't aware of any of the Build engine's many obscure quirks. See the iPhone or Android Duke3D port as an example. It's a loving mess.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SwissCM posted:

They should just loving release Blood's source code already. That bullshit about it potentially fracturing the userbase because of multiple multiplayer source ports is ridiculous and it being closed source means none of the innovations that have gone into eduke32 could be merged. It'll be just another broken, half-assed source port coded by people who aren't aware of any of the Build engine's many obscure quirks. See the iPhone or Android Duke3D port as an example. It's a loving mess.

Also, that updated source port isn't even coming out any more :smith:

edit: link for the full story

Convex fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 11, 2013

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
I thought it was just put on hiatus because the company that holds the rights to Blood was going through bankruptcy.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Convex posted:

Also, that updated source port isn't even coming out any more :smith:

Oh typical. If they could have gotten their poo poo together for just a moment and thrown out a GPL-licensed code dump in time we'd all be much better off right now.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Holy CRAP im enjoying most of this alot.

Entered "Throw money at this artist." territory when i hit Dirac. Enjoying this track way too much! :3:

And done, thanks for the music Essel, this track is just amazingly awesome and pushed it way over "sold!" for me. Hope Itunes doesn't take too much of your cut. :ohdear:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 12, 2013

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Shadowmorn posted:

Holy CRAP im enjoying most of this alot.

Entered "Throw money at this artist." territory when i hit Dirac. Enjoying this track way too much! :3:

And done, thanks for the music Essel, this track is just amazingly awesome and pushed it way over "sold!" for me. Hope Itunes doesn't take too much of your cut. :ohdear:

Dirac is the track that led me to buy it as well about a year ago :3:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

So some guys are making a Duke thing that should be out on the 15th this month. Here's hoping it's remotely as good as it makes itself out to be.

Well, I know the guy from MSDN is working on it, and a few other old Dukers from back in the day (They did the AMC TC), so I imagine it will be pretty good. The voice acting and story will be awful, but the gameplay will be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CowboyAndy posted:

The voice acting and story will be awful, but the gameplay will be good.

This will just make it a more authentic throwback to 90's Build games :colbert: