Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I think the worst thing about the IPL is the overlong awkward interviews they have constantly. What's that about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RideTheSpiral posted:

I think the worst thing about the IPL is the overlong awkward interviews they have constantly. What's that about?

Surely a small price to pay for all those dlf maximums.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

jazzyhattrick posted:

Surely a small price to pay for all those dlf maximums.

Yes! Bank maximums. I'll have you know.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

This. I'd say I have the tv muted for 50% of any given match.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
IPL update:

Dhoni is noodling singles around when the runrate required is 12.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He tried to kick on and win it to prove his magnificence, but instead he just lost the game.

Truly, a classic Dhoni innings.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

goatface posted:

He tried to kick on and win it to prove his magnificence, but instead he just lost the game.

Truly, a classic Dhoni innings.

He got 51 off 26. Where's your post lambasting all of the batsmen who came in before him who scored gently caress all at less than a run a ball?

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
If I were to place bets on the overall winners for the County championship this season and the top batsmen, both for Divisions 1 and 2, who would be good contenders?

I've currently got Warks or Notts, Tres or Varun Chopra for Div 1. Lancs and Ashwell Prince/Simon Katich for Div 2.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Hildreth is usually there or thereabouts for run scoring. You'd imagine Graeme Smith would be up there too if he's playing the whole season. And Chris Rogers.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
I would definitely advise against betting on the top batsmen. It's like a horse race with 50 runners - there's so many pretty good batsmen around that one of them who hits a purple patch at the right time (or batsmen who get the fewest games rained off, in a wet summer) can top the list ahead of theoretically much stronger batsmen. Then there's guys who could come top if they don't get international callups - James Taylor, for example, or even Chris Rogers. About half the time the batsman is somebody you'd have vaguely expected it to be, either using the Somerset rule (Somerset's best batsman will be the top run scorer) or the England reject rule (pick a batsman who had several chances in the England side but wasn't good enough), but the other half you get people like Adam Lyth showing up.

Counties, though, yeah, that seems about right. I'd probably go for Notts based on the assumption that Gilo is more likely to wreck the Warks side (and the England side, of course) with England callups for the Champions Trophy than he is the Notts side.

As an aside, I love the first division odds at Betfair:

pre:
Warwickshire     4.5
Nottinghamshire  5.5
Somerset         6.5
Middlesex        7.5
Durham           8
Surrey           8
Sussex           8.5
Yorkshire        11
Derbyshire       34
That's right, Derbyshire, you're officially three times worse than everybody else in division one. :frogout:

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Ilanin posted:

I would definitely advise against betting on the top batsmen. It's like a horse race with 50 runners - there's so many pretty good batsmen around that one of them who hits a purple patch at the right time (or batsmen who get the fewest games rained off, in a wet summer) can top the list ahead of theoretically much stronger batsmen. Then there's guys who could come top if they don't get international callups - James Taylor, for example, or even Chris Rogers. About half the time the batsman is somebody you'd have vaguely expected it to be, either using the Somerset rule (Somerset's best batsman will be the top run scorer) or the England reject rule (pick a batsman who had several chances in the England side but wasn't good enough), but the other half you get people like Adam Lyth showing up.

Counties, though, yeah, that seems about right. I'd probably go for Notts based on the assumption that Gilo is more likely to wreck the Warks side (and the England side, of course) with England callups for the Champions Trophy than he is the Notts side.

This is what I was assuming, it is very variable with a lot of luck involved. I had an argument with my flatmate earlier today who reckoned Taunton wasn't a flat wicket and Compton is actually a solid player who didn't have luck last season by having all home games there. I would assume picking a batsman who plays on a flatter wicket ie Taunton, Edgbaston over Trent Bridge would also be a good decision?

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Some Punetrid cricket going on in the IPL currently.

Since I don't want to watch this poo poo anymore, can any one of you kind Britons give me an intro on how to get into county? I know the basics - how the points work (mostly), divisions, international players etc, just more wondering stuff about the teams and domestic players so I can decide who I want to support and so on.

I feel like an American in the AFL thread asking that.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Gilchrist is still playing? :psyduck:

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

PTizzle posted:

Some Punetrid cricket going on in the IPL currently.

Since I don't want to watch this poo poo anymore, can any one of you kind Britons give me an intro on how to get into county? I know the basics - how the points work (mostly), divisions, international players etc, just more wondering stuff about the teams and domestic players so I can decide who I want to support and so on.

I feel like an American in the AFL thread asking that.

Hmm. Trickier than it used to be - not as many of the counties have defining characteristics now that players move between them on a more regular basis. Still, let's see what I can come up with. There's a few that are definitely unique.

Somerset: Play on an absolute road at Taunton. Consequently, if you are crazy enough to bet on the highest-scoring batsman, picking out the best player in the Somerset lineup is the way to go. Their general strategy is to pack the side with batting and try and get the opposition through scoreboard pressure, and if that fails, at least they'll get maximum batting points. Notable domestic players: Marcus Trescothick, James Hildreth, George Dockrell (if you happen to follow Irish cricket he's notable, anyway)

Yorkshire: Benefit from probably the strongest local league cricket in the conutry, so constantly bringing through exciting young players. This is fortunate, because they're also constantly falling out with their established players, causing them to go and play for other counties. Strength is really variable as a result. Notable domestic players: Jonathon Bairstow (if they actually get to see any of him), Andrew Gale, Ryan Sidebottom

Warwickshire: Are not particularly remarkable other than being one of the stronger sides, except for the fact that they were the county of England limited overs coach and former national performance progamm manager Ashley Giles, who is, um, slightly biased towards his old county. Counting ECB decisions that favour Warwickshire used to be an old pastime (such as, for example, quite how many international matches were played at Edgbaston despite fierce competition from other grounds), these days it's counting bizarre selections of Warwickshire players in the England limited overs squads. Notable domestic players: Varun Chopra, Chris Woakes (again, England permitting), Boyd Rankin

Durham: Apparently have some kind of cloning vat for useful fast-medium bowlers who are excellent at county level but usually not quite good enough to play for England (or if they are, get injured or lose form rapidly afterwards). Kind of the inverse Somerset I guess, though Chester-le-Street isn't that horrible for batting on except for the way it's in loving Durham so it's really cold in April and most of May. Notable domestic players: see above. Harmison and Onions from time to time, Ben Stokes

Nottinghamshire: Kind of a "disgruntled all-stars" team, being one of the few English counties who aren't spectacularly broke, they mostly pick up players who were fed up with/didn't they they were getting paid enough at their previous counties. So they have a bunch of good players, but only Samit Patel and Alex Hales are actually Nottinghamshire ones, the rest are imports. This list includes Broad and Swann, so they have a stupidly strong bowling attack if their England players get released.

Surrey: I am required to point out that if you support this bunch of tossers then...well, just don't, OK? This is the county that brought us Jade Dernbach, that thinks what the English county season needed more of was Graeme Smith, and who are even more dependent on imports than Notts are. I mean as a Yorkshireman I'm expected to hate them but realistically every right-thinking person should as well.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sussex: Play in Hove which has is right next to Brighton which is the best city in England. They have Monty and notable cricketing behemoth Luke Wright. And their T20 mascot is a shark. The best team.

Feral Jesus
Oct 9, 2003
Chanderpaul is 16/1 for leading run scorer and WI's don't seem to have any tests scheduled during the season. I'd agree it's a difficult prediction but Chanderpaul having the same odds as Michael loving Lumb is tempting.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'm going to be able to get to a match and watch Shiv abuse county bowling this summer.

This saddens me greatly.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Who is Shiv playing for? Love him :allears:

Thanks heaps Ilanin, that post is great. I like Trescothick and Dockrell owns but I hate roads so I still dunno who to go for.

I liked Notts in the past because of their imports/known players but I might just have a watch and see if I like. Does Jade Dernbach actually play first class cricket or just the limited overs stuff?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

RideTheSpiral posted:

You might want to reconsider that...

:negative:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Ricky Ponting is a massive fan of Spader-Man and the iron man.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

It looks as though Spider-Man is about to spray Malinga's shoes with poo poo except he finds it funny because he earns 15k a minute for standing up there

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

gay picnic defence posted:

I have no idea what I am looking at here. What the

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

What on earth is even happening here what is

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The video for that ridiculous photo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr25TQ36g5k

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Anarkii posted:

The video for that ridiculous photo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr25TQ36g5k

I just... I... :psypop:

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Man, the costumes aren't even good. Like, they're above average Halloween quality I spose, but...yeah.

Ponting gets a free wanker pass but dunno bout the other two.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

I recommend this as an antidote. From cricketers at their most ridiculous to about as serious as it gets.

(It's an article about the final days of Hedley Verity, and it's brilliantly written).

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Loved Kohli's innings today 93*(47). Dhoni would have taken the game to the last over, while Kohli just went manic after Steyn bowled out. Reminded me of this match against Sri Lanka in CB series last year

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Anarkii posted:

Loved Kohli's innings today 93*(47). Dhoni would have taken the game to the last over, while Kohli just went manic after Steyn bowled out. Reminded me of this match against Sri Lanka in CB series last year

Loved another excellent contribution by Pontdulkar. 1 from 8 deliveries.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

Loved another excellent contribution by Pontdulkar. 1 from 8 deliveries.

Punter's catch did own though I guess.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Anarkii posted:

Loved Kohli's innings today 93*(47).

I watched for about 30 seconds - long enough to see ABdV spastically flail a long-hop to deep-midwicket. At which point I shook my head and changed the channel.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
County cricket season!

It just hailed for a bit a few minutes ago in the middle of the rain. Maybe the heavy roller will save them.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
In case anyone was wondering how a couple of Australians are going in the IPL, Maxwell has sat on the bench for all four games, and so has Phil Hughes! It's great that they want to sit around the IPL instead of playing county cricket to prepare for The Ashes.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Scylo posted:

In case anyone was wondering how a couple of Australians are going in the IPL, Maxwell has sat on the bench for all four games, and so has Phil Hughes! It's great that they want to sit around the IPL instead of playing county cricket to prepare for The Ashes.

Hopefully that is the training those two require for the Ashes.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Scylo posted:

Maxwell has sat on the bench for all four games
The million-dollar benchwarmer.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
And the prize for the most boring interview ever goes to... that guy!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Are you retards actually watching that crap?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

RideTheSpiral only watches for the articles.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

I didn't think anyone even followed the IPL ironically these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Some cricket is better than no cricket ??? I'm sorry I can't get as angry as you about a cricket tournament.

• Locked thread