Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
His sweeping attack walk is both bizzare and disconcerting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Chronojam posted:

He's not called Evil Joe for nothing. He's a major shitlord here to ruin your hunt.
Maybe Joe just wants to hug everything but he can't with his tiny arms so he tries to use his mouth but people don't like that so they start hitting him and that makes him mad which upsets his stomach so he can't stop spewing dragon breath everywhere and now all his new friends are dead :smith:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nechronic posted:

Maybe Joe just wants to hug everything but he can't with his tiny arms so he tries to use his mouth but people don't like that so they start hitting him and that makes him mad which upsets his stomach so he can't stop spewing dragon breath everywhere and now all his new friends are dead :smith:

This is the Joe backstory I've heard over and over again. He's just very, very awkward and doesn't know how to act around new people.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

His teeth didn't form properly and now they're poking through his lower lip and chin. He is angry because he is in pain and dental work is expensive :smith:.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Jet Set Jettison posted:

His teeth didn't form properly and now they're poking through his lower lip and chin. He is angry because he is in pain and dental work is expensive :smith:.

So you're saying killing him is a mercy, then?

I can get behind that.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Use dung bombs to drive him out of areas quickly. You can buy dung and bomb casings en masse from the backpack lady in tanzia port.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

When using the switch axe is there any reason NOT to be in sword mode if you have power for it?

Also does the phial have anything to do with those phials you can pick up out of the supply box, or are those meant for ranged players?

As far as maximizing damage goes, yes, if you have a power or element phial just use sword mode. Axe has its uses in cutting tails, or difficult to reach breaks; its not bad for tripping charging monsters, since the upswing executes quickly and does good damage. For generally hurting things, however, use sword mode with a power phial (depends on the switch axe, it isn't anything you can change). Some swaxes have an odd phial that can be situationally useful. The Barroth line has paralyze, which can be used to assist groups. Once you trigger a paralyze, however, you may want to go back to axe and then upswing into A-A-A flurry combo. In that case the sword phial is just status so sword attacks while still good, aren't great, and would may to better letting the phial charge on it's own so you can setup for another couple of quick phial burst for more paralyze.

Generally, you'll want to be aiming for power phial swaxes, so sword mode if you can.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'm going down the Wasserfallis upgrade path right now and I'm getting somewhat annoyed by this. I like the reach of Long Swords and they're pretty quick, but they lack the raw damage of other weapons. And hey, you can't block either. I'm not sure if I should switch to a different weapon type. I'm fairly early on but always having to hit that combo to top up my damage is pretty annoying. I was fiddling with Great Swords earlier and I've been upgrading one on the side as well, but they're kind of slow and a pain to hit small/quick enemies with.
No one is more annoyed than I am. I really like the style of longsword; its a nice fun mix of attacks, and there are a bunch of different LS sitting my inventory box for when I get the itch, but I can't stomach them for long before I go poking around trying to figure out why these slashy things don't cut nearly as well as these other slashy things.

Numbers following are %percentages%, being a relative portion of the weapon's base damage rating. Weapons across weapon classes of the same quality actually have the *exact* internal damage ratings, so these numbers are applicable across weapon classes; a 20% attack from one weapon class, will deal the same amount of damage from an attack of another weapon class, given weapons of the same quality.

Here is what Longsword used to look like in Freedom Unite
(numbers in parenthesis are with full spirit buff. Three was no focus on Freedom Unite)
Overhead 1: 33% (33.96%)
Overhead 2: 28% (31.36%)
Thurst: 20% (22.4%)
Upslash: 23% (25.76%)
Fade Slash: 30% (33.6%)
No spirit R: 16%
Spirit 1: 35% (39.2%)
Spirit 2: 36% (40.32%)
Spirit 3: 18% & 18% & 40% (85.12% total)

Here is what it looks like in Portable3rd, and based on my experience, probably pretty close to how it works in 3U
(numbers in parenthesis are with red focus) {numbers in brackets are with red focus and full spirit meter temp buff}
Overhead 1: 26% (31.2%) {35.256}
Overhead 2: 23% (27.6%) {31.188%}
Thrust: 14% (16.8%) {18.984%}
Upslash: 18% (21.6%) {24.408}
Fade Slash: 24% (28.8%) {32.544}
No Spirit R: 16% (19.2%)
Spirit 1: 28% (33.6%) {37.968%}
Spirit 2: 30% (36%) {40.68%}
Spirit 3: 12%+14%+34% (72%) {81.36%}
Spirit 4: 42% (50.4) {56.952%}
Entire Spirit Combo: 160 (192%) {216.96%}

Basically what happened is they beat the poo poo out of the weapon, then demanded it had to work for its middling, but otherwise acceptable damage.

Switch Axe sword mode damage looks like this
(numbers in parenthesis are with power phial)
Overhead: 32% (38.4%)
Upward: 28% (33.6%)
Side slice: 22% (26.4)
Initiate Burst: 28% (33.6%)
Burst Charge: 13% X7 (109.2%)
Burst finish: 80% (96%)
Entire Burst Attack: 199% (238.8%)

So to get damage roughly comparable to a weapon class that only has a short reload animation for it's specials, you have to (1) build a spirit meter (2) blow the spirit on a full combo (3), build a spirit meter (4) blow the spirit on a full combo (5) build a spirit meter (6) blow the spirit on a full combo (7) build a spirit meter once again. At this point, for a limited duration, you have roughly comparable damage to that dude with a power phial switch axe that has been packing a monster's poo poo for the last four minutes. If poo poo turns south, he'll still have the same damage. You? You will be back at step 5, maybe 4. Maybe you never even got there, and you're back at 2.

Being required to land a specific hit of a long, end-of-combo, resource limited special and ONLY that specific attack will do has to be the worst mechanical design in the game. The fact it is even necessary for the weapon to be serviceable in the first place is just absurd. Longsword moveset is OK, and numbers aren't everything, but when you realize you have to jump through a dozen bullshit hoops to even get it to the point where it was in Freedom Unite, where its damage was "OK, but it staggers my friends", you start to wonder why the weapon class was so brutally savaged.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?
I am now dual wielding chainsaws this is the greatest game ever made.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
I think people really underestimate axe-mode's usefulness. I find the sword mode only works for me when the monster is disabled in some way (or is a fat, slow elder dragon), and I can sneak a lot more hits in with axe mode, as well as smack raths out of the air.
Maybe i'm just a weapon hipster, but sword and shield is also good.

A few questions: How do I get to fight ANGRY joe, I've reached about HR30, does he have obscure requirements? Where do I get "Elder Dragonbone"?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Office Thug posted:

Use dung bombs to drive him out of areas quickly. You can buy dung and bomb casings en masse from the backpack lady in tanzia port.

Yeah, and by the time you start running into Joe the amount of money you get from missions is excessive.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

fuxxo posted:

I am now dual wielding chainsaws this is the greatest game ever made.

What's the name of the dual chainsaws? I need to make those.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Evil Mastermind posted:

What's the name of the dual chainsaws? I need to make those.

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3U:_Dual_Sword_Weapon_Tree

The Twin Chainsaw line, and it's always been a mediocre set of lightning duals while the subject is at hand since their first appearance in I think the very first Monster Hunter?

Which is a loving shame because it's a pair of chainsaws. :black101:

They eventually upgrade into Golem Maneaters which get two gem slots and white sharpness and a sliver of purple.

But then you see it's 322 raw and 150 thunder damage and you're disappointed.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 9, 2013

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Wheres a good place to collect frogs? I need them for this Event-Quest Cha-Cha Mask.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

Wheres a good place to collect frogs? I need them for this Event-Quest Cha-Cha Mask.

There's a spot in Area 10 of the Deserted Island with an infinite supply of worm and occasionally frogs. It's a rock hugging the wall on the right side when you enter the area from Area 9. It kind of looks like the whetstone rock in area 7.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

edit: beaten

RME
Feb 20, 2012

They're also in Area 2 of Flooded Forest, right by the entrance to Area 4. It looks like a lone plant that you can gather from.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
If you get an armor set with fast charge it makes any weapons that has a charge up so much more enjoyable to play as an FYI.

EDIT: Also how are people having "trouble" with the longsword? Are you just inherently playing it wrong? It's literally as simple as "charge up into super power mode and destroy a monster".

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 9, 2013

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Reginald Bathwater posted:

I think people really underestimate axe-mode's usefulness. I find the sword mode only works for me when the monster is disabled in some way (or is a fat, slow elder dragon), and I can sneak a lot more hits in with axe mode, as well as smack raths out of the air.
Maybe i'm just a weapon hipster, but sword and shield is also good.

A few questions: How do I get to fight ANGRY joe, I've reached about HR30, does he have obscure requirements? Where do I get "Elder Dragonbone"?

Savage Jho appears randomly as an unstable environment monster in G rank quests. Elder Dragonbone is found in the Tower arena, aka where you fight Silver Rathalos, Gold Rathian and Lucent Narga.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chronojam posted:

:siren: How to Determine Your Charm Table :siren:

Apparently you can divine the nature of your Charm Tables by sending out fishing boats to the Moga Shallows fishing areas, and then recording exactly what you got. Using fishing bait helps the process along by providing more data, three boatfuls should be enough to tell you what table you are on. There was a Japanese page made before to do this, but it was translated by a German into English. As far as I can tell, all three ships are identical (blue/red/black) for purposes of figuring this out.

English frontend for Japanese backend: http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/index2.html This URL will take you to the Japanese results page once you submit the form, but it's easy enough to follow since it's just T1-T17 with a O for a match and an X for a mismatch. Three O's in a row and you've got your table!

Original Japanese: http://www.hayasoft.com/chisamin/mh3g/tsearch.cgi
Non-working English backend: http://mhvuze.de/3ucharm/fishEN/

I apparently have Table 3, and the internet says Table 11, 12, 15, 16, 17 are total rubbish, which is great since I just hunted monsters all last weekend and was a little concerned :ohdear:

I'm straight up impressed and astonished that, at least as we've been told, the people that made the table figured it out on their own, no help from Capcom. That's some professional quality sperging.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I just made it into G rank and I've sort of run out of goals as far as armor goes. It seems pretty hard to beat Social's crazy cat lady sharpness +1 set in anything other than looks for quite a while. I've got it set up with Attack Up S and capture guru (because I'm a horrible idiot with a +7 perception talisman).

Any suggestions for set upgrades as a swaxe/hammer user?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 9, 2013

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I just got into HR recently with the village quests, but I only have like 2 or 3 charms worth using any. What quests should I run to get more charms? I think I remember the carry quests give more charms as quest rewards, right?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

i am tim! posted:

I just got into HR recently with the village quests, but I only have like 2 or 3 charms worth using any. What quests should I run to get more charms? I think I remember the carry quests give more charms as quest rewards, right?

I got plenty while doing the cap a Rathian quest for a plate. 2-3 per cap.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

5er posted:

I'm straight up impressed and astonished that, at least as we've been told, the people that made the table figured it out on their own, no help from Capcom. That's some professional quality sperging.

I was pretty nervous about checking mine too, because I totally forgot about the stupid thing until I was over a dozen hours in. One haul with an improved fishing fleet with tackle can give you an answer. It's easier than a pregnancy test.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

i am tim! posted:

To farm charms do a mining run in Volcano. You should get 3+ per run depending on luck. They're pretty quick too if you just do the standard run 1-> 3-> 5-> 8-> 9-> 10

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
I now have my butterfly suit back and the Quropeco Horn.

drat this instrument is the flyest poo poo. The damage output isn't great sometimes (Gobul took way too long, I guess I needed a cutting weapon for that) but it's tripping and dizzying fools left and right, and double heals whenever mean I basically never die. It helps that I've actually learned to wean myself off the Kingdom Hearts style of playing ActionRPGs, and actually take the time to distance myself and exploit attack patterns. Royal Ludroth still frustrates me, though.

I don't really have the patience to check my tables, but I got a rustshard in a fishing fleet recently, and from what I understand the cursed tables won't let you get one?

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
You sure you're not thinking of rusted fragments there? Made that mistake myself, but they're not the same thing. Rustshards are appraised in your eval box the same way charms are, I don't think you can get them off-quest.

Edit: You'll know when you get one as they play a little fanfare. They start turning up around Low Rank Volcano.

farfromsleep fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 9, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nechronic posted:

So he's a goon?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Where on Earth do you get Maiden Butterflys? They aren't listed at all in the Brady Guide and my only guess is that they could be for G Rank Guild Card quests but those don't seem to actually exist from what I can see.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Six Of Spades posted:

I don't really have the patience to check my tables, but I got a rustshard in a fishing fleet recently, and from what I understand the cursed tables won't let you get one?

farfromsleep posted:

You sure you're not thinking of rusted fragments there? Made that mistake myself, but they're not the same thing. Rustshards are appraised in your eval box the same way charms are, I don't think you can get them off-quest.

Edit: You'll know when you get one as they play a little fanfare. They start turning up around Low Rank Volcano.

Yes, those are fragments, not shards. They can be turned in for resource points, and I think some armor/weapons use them as a material.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

farfromsleep posted:

Yeah, it's a rusted fragment. And here I was think I was talking about all the cool poo poo everyone else is dealing with. I told myself I'd lay off the hunt tonight, but I'm gonna go see what 2 fleets from Moga Coast (GFAQs says it's Moga Coast, not Shallows) bring in. Here's hoping for poo poo that works with Hunting Horn!

Going by the 2 results I got, I'm either Tables 2, 3, or 6. It seems they're all all-rounders, with 6 having a little more Ranged stuff. Neat.

Six Of Spades fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 9, 2013

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I'm getting 2-3 rust shards in every run through high rank volcano. That's normal right? I think it caps out at 3. I almost have all the melee weapons. I'm just missing LS.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

dvorak posted:

I'm getting 2-3 rust shards in every run through high rank volcano. That's normal right? I think it caps out at 3. I almost have all the melee weapons. I'm just missing LS.

Longsword does not have a rust, or ancient shard reward. All you get are the crap dragon bone weapons.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Was there always a cap on rustshards? The 3 cap is such a dick move. I've had times where I mined like six of them.

Out of like 20 I mined a not-me weapon, but thankfully it was the Lance, easiest weapon in the game. If it was a gunbow I would've killed myself.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 9, 2013

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I think the trade off is that now they stack? Might be wrong about that. I ignored shard grinding in p3rd, and its been a while since tri.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Kiggles posted:

I think the trade off is that now they stack? Might be wrong about that. I ignored shard grinding in p3rd, and its been a while since tri.

They used to stack. Idk about the cap though, I never got more than 1-2 each time. I think it used to be 5.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bland posted:

Where on Earth do you get Maiden Butterflys? They aren't listed at all in the Brady Guide and my only guess is that they could be for G Rank Guild Card quests but those don't seem to actually exist from what I can see.

Considering the other guild card bugs are all some sort of butterfly that seems likely.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Azure rathalos armor requires 3 gems and 3 tails. That is just cruel. gently caress you Capcom.

Armor is boss as gently caress though.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Has anyone had luck with catching a Speartuna? I've read some old information about catching it in the Tundra basecamp and enter/exiting the zone. I don't know if the randomization works that way anymore though.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
You can find rustshards super easily by mining in high-rank volcano compared to low-rank volcano, but by the time you reach HR volcano they've already been long outpaced by other weapons, with the bowgun being a huge exception apparently. You can mine them in low-rank but it will take you longer getting all the weapons you want in low-rank than just getting to the volcano in high rank. I don't know about ancientshard weapons since I haven't gotten to them in G-rank yet.

If you do decide to run the gauntlet and try to mine some rustshard weapons, then there's a way to make everything way faster than just mining every node on the planet. There are actually only three mining nodes in the entirety of volcano that have a significant (more than ~1%) chance of giving you rustshards, one of them being a totally random node that may or may not appear in area 5 as you run through it. In high-rank, only the shittiest of poo poo nodes aren't barfing out rustshards at you, but who cares because in high-rank you're using poo poo like plesioth's head for a hammer and weapons that cause things to spontaneously combust. You're in low-rank right now, so these weapons could actually be useful right now. So lets get them right now!

Rustshard farming guide

- Accept the Volcano pawprint pass quest.
- Don't drink a cool drink. You won't need it where we're going :coal:.
- Run up from the camp to area 5 and keep running towards the path to 8. Ignore the nodes in zone 3 (I have never gotten anything worthwhile from them, red or blue)
- Up to two random mining nodes may be present on the rocky walls next to the paths leading to areas 7 and 8, you want to ignore the red and blue nodes if that's all that's there, but if you see a pale blue node then mine the poo poo out of it.
- From area 5, move up to 8 and then 9 up to the last mining point before area 10, which you can hit three times (unaffected by gathering+1 or +2). It usually drops crap like iron ore and whetstones but it has something like 10% chance of dropping rustshards.
- In area 10, there will always be two mining nodes near the Powderstone pickup spot. You want to hit the node that's furthest away, nearer the edge of the area overlooking the pretty volcanic cauldron.
- Commit honorable nipponese sepukku by picking up a powderstone and standing next to the pretty lava, or use a farcaster, or march back to camp. Turn in the quest to collect your charms/rustshards.
- Repeat from the top.

If you want to do some extra mining for shining charms in your runs, then mine the blue and pale blue nodes in area 5 (if present), the node in area 8, all three nodes in 9, and both nodes in 10, before burning yourself.

All of the rustshard weapons except the greatsword happen to be particularly effective against most of the monsters found at the end of low-rank (gigginox, barioth, agnaktor, uragaan, rathian and rathalos, and duramboros, along with Caedeus). If you get the greatsword, sell it off because it is TERRIBLE and then assume the fetal position as that was probably the only rustshard weapon you've gotten in 3 hours and it was a piece of poo poo.

Edit: some stuff I forgot to add

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

darkhand posted:

Has anyone had luck with catching a Speartuna? I've read some old information about catching it in the Tundra basecamp and enter/exiting the zone. I don't know if the randomization works that way anymore though.

I got mine fishing in Deserted Island (D) in zone 10. Just sat down with a stack of worms and got two of them.

• Locked thread