Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It just really took half the fun out of the original. When you first go to the past and try to enter the castle, the guards block your way. In the Woolsey version they say something like "Hahah kid, why don't you show us your stamp collection? Hahaha". In the DS one it's just basically "You're not meant to be here. Go away.".

poo poo like that.

The only way it could be worse is if they used that horrific "retranslation" that changed all the names back, used honorifics and was as literal a translation as possible. Magus-sama!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Fan re-translations are the worst. When I was a young dumb teenager I used to think the FF6 re-translation was cool but now I look back and MAN is it loving dumb to call Kefka "Cefka".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

elf help book posted:

Urban Champion is a bad game. It was considered bad when it was new.

I bought it last time they had it on Club Nintendo because I love it.

For some bizarre reason Japanese gamers apparently consider it to be a kind of cult classic which is why it got the 3D remake. I think they're crazy, myself...

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

The only way it could be worse is if they used that horrific "retranslation" that changed all the names back, used honorifics and was as literal a translation as possible. Magus-sama!

It's a good thing they didn't do that and there's actually a middle ground between ultra-literal translations and ultra-loose localisations, then. Like the middle ground that the DS port falls into.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

StevenM posted:

It's a good thing they didn't do that and there's actually a middle ground between ultra-literal translations and ultra-loose localisations, then. Like the middle ground that the DS port falls into.

Yeah. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on it, really, it's perfectly serviceable and all, I just think the old one was better and whatnot. I mean, if you're playing the game for the first time it won't matter either way, so hey.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

Fan re-translations are the worst. When I was a young dumb teenager I used to think the FF6 re-translation was cool but now I look back and MAN is it loving dumb to call Kefka "Cefka".

The guy that did the retranslations feels the same way nowadays.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

For some bizarre reason Japanese gamers apparently consider it to be a kind of cult classic which is why it got the 3D remake. I think they're crazy, myself...
I can understand it, there are some really lovely C64 games that I will defend to the death (Booga Boo:swoon:) Urban Champion is pretty much the Troll 2 of video games, I think.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Zeether posted:

Good news: Sayonara Umihara Kawase is planned to have an overseas release. It's just a comment from the devs as of now but it sounds like a good sign. :woop: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/08/farewell-umihara-kawase-is-planned-for-overseas-release/

This is the best news.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Policenaut posted:

On that topic, the FF6 GBA translation's pretty much the best one. Awful Fantasy is probably better than any one that makes "Cefka" a thing, though.

DuckPuncher
Jun 2, 2011

A writer must sleep
And a ghost must haunt

horriblePencilist posted:

Speaking of RPGs, anyone got any opinions on Heroes of Ruin, Crimson Shroud and Zenonia?

I thought Zenonia was really, REALLY boring. It has the worst grind out of anything I've ever played (I play Pokemon games), and the combat is really same-y no matter where you go or what abilities you choose. It's one of the few games I regret buying, even for the few bucks it cost. Though it's been a while since I've played it, I could be exaggerating. It's just the impression it left with me. But I really enjoyed Crimson Shroud, for the reasons Der Shovel mentioned.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DuckPuncher posted:

I thought Zenonia was really, REALLY boring. It has the worst grind out of anything I've ever played (I play Pokemon games), and the combat is really same-y no matter where you go or what abilities you choose. It's one of the few games I regret buying, even for the few bucks it cost. Though it's been a while since I've played it, I could be exaggerating. It's just the impression it left with me. But I really enjoyed Crimson Shroud, for the reasons Der Shovel mentioned.

No you're right. Zenonia is absolutely terrible. The writing is awful and riddled with grammatical errors, the menus are virtually unreadable, and that's not even going into the grindy boring gameplay. I picked it up during the summer when the e-shop first went up and I felt like experimenting with a variety of things, and it was the one truly bad choice I made.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Zenonia is the one where the player character's name is "Regret", yes?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yep that's the one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

It just really took half the fun out of the original. When you first go to the past and try to enter the castle, the guards block your way. In the Woolsey version they say something like "Hahah kid, why don't you show us your stamp collection? Hahaha". In the DS one it's just basically "You're not meant to be here. Go away.".

poo poo like that.

I like Woolsey most of the time but his translation had a big chunk of literally making poo poo up. Like not just colorful localization (which I like) but actively randomly changing things for no clear reason.

The DS translation is much better as a translation in any way which doesn't involve nostalgia. That doesn't mean the original is awful and incoherent like the FF7 translation but it was a pretty problem-filled translation. It's not a mark against the translator since he had some strict requirements to work under and did wonders while working under them, but it isn't a case of it being one step away from "Magus-sama."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 9, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Is the DS version the one that uses the term "Fiendlord"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Is the DS version the one that uses the term "Fiendlord"?

Yeah, they used that in place of the term which roughly translates to Demon King/Evil King/something like that.

The thing with Magus' name is that it isn't a name, it's his title which basically amounts to "evil guy." Magus was an attempt by the translator to fit that into the naming limitations on an English release because there's only so much you can do with that. (It's the same reason it's Crono instead of Chrono.) "Fiendlord Magus" is an attempt by the translation to balance the intent ("this dude's name is Darkdeath Evilking") and the established name which people were familiar with.

A more accurate translation just would have ditched Magus, but S-E appears to prefer to keep the older names if possible. (i.e: Terra remains Terra instead of Tina, Edward instead of Gilbert, ect.) Pretty much the only name change they've reverted is Aeris to Aerith and that's probably due to it being an actual mistranslation instead of a considered name change.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 9, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

ImpAtom posted:

I like Woolsey most of the time but his translation had a big chunk of literally making poo poo up. Like not just colorful localization (which I like) but actively randomly changing things for no reason.

The DS translation is pretty objectively better as a translation in any way which doesn't involve nostalgia. That doesn't mean the original is awful and incoherent like the FF7 translation but it was a pretty problem-filled translation. It's not a mark against the translator since he had some strict requirements to work under and did wonders while working under them, but it isn't a case of it being one step away from "Magus-sama."

I played the hell out of Chrono Trigger on the SNES, and I also thought the DS re-translation was better. Frog having that dialect made absolutely not sense when no other character in the era had it, and Magus's lines just weren't as cool. It's not even like the game takes itself seriously all of a sudden - they just got rid of a lot of stuff that simply didn't make sense.

What I think is odd is expecting someone who provides a new translation for a game to purposely copy changes made by the translator of the original American release due to problems with censorship and line width. There should be no expectation to keep quirks that simply didn't exist in the original script, and I'd rather the new person be free to localize things their own way rather than be constricted by how someone else might have done it twenty years ago.

quote:

The thing with Magus' name is that it isn't a name, it's his title which basically amounts to "evil guy." Magus was an attempt by the translator to fit that into the naming limitations on an English release because there's only so much you can do with that. (It's the same reason it's Crono instead of Chrono.) "Fiendlord Magus" is an attempt by the translation to balance the intent ("this dude's name is Darkdeath Evilking") and the established name which people were familiar with.

I think it's more that they decided to give him a second name rather than a title in the original English version. In the new translation I imagine they wanted to keep the character's name (since I assume changes as big as character names would be cause more trouble than it's worth) while still having the intent of the original script, so they went with both a title and a new name. It works out this way because in Japanese you wouldn't need an article like "the" before it to signify a title rather than a name, and in English Magus would allow them to not have to mess with the character limit for names. "Darkdeath Evilking" implies that a native English speaker would read "Fiendlord Magus" as two combined titles which I don't think is the case.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2013

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
When I first played the game as a kid (before I knew he didn't speak all Olde English in the Japanese version, obviously) after I saw the flashback scene and how Frog talked like a scared dorky normal dude as Glenn I just figured he was trying really hard to put out some tough mysterious swordsman image. I kinda like it better like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nickoten posted:

I think it's more that they decided to give him a second name rather than a title in the original English version. In the new translation I imagine they wanted to keep the character's name (since I assume changes as big as character names would be cause more trouble than it's worth) while still having the intent of the original script, so they went with both a title and a new name. It works out this way because in Japanese you wouldn't need an article like "the" before it to signify a title rather than a name, and in English Magus would allow them to not have to mess with the character limit for names. "Darkdeath Evilking" implies that a native English speaker would read "Fiendlord Magus" as two combined titles which I don't think is the case.

I was unclear there. The "Fiendlord" part is what I meant by "Darkdeath Evilking." You're saying exactly what I intended. They gave him a name that implied "this guy is literally an evil king" and then kept the Magus part as a 'name' for nostalgia + name limitations.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Woolsey's version is the superior translation. Frog's accent is a great example of this. Notice how he speaks normally until Cyrus passes and he has to become a true hero.He adopts the whole accent as a coping mechanism as he strains to be a hero. .

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TEHJOE posted:

Woolsey's version is the superior translation. Frog's accent is a great example of this. Notice how he speaks normally until Cyrus passes and he has to become a true hero.He adopts the whole accent as a coping mechanism as he strains to be a hero. .

That's... not a superior translation. You can argue it's superior characterization but it is a complete change of how his character acts in the Japanese version.

It's possible to change a character's personality in localization and do so well. Fire Emblem: Awakening does this, for example. I don't really agree that Frog is a good case because it involves a lot of how he acts not actually making sense. They needed to be more thorough with the edits if they wanted to go that route.

To use another Woolsey example: He uses the same mannerisms for Cyan, who does have an odd and archaic mode of speech, and there it makes perfect sense because even though it's out of place it's intentionally out of place and so the game reflects that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 9, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I was unclear there. The "Fiendlord" part is what I meant by "Darkdeath Evilking." You're saying exactly what I intended. They gave him a name that implied "this guy is literally an evil king" and then kept the Magus part as a 'name' for nostalgia + name limitations.

Ah, okay. Sorry about that.

absolutely anything posted:

When I first played the game as a kid (before I knew he didn't speak all Olde English in the Japanese version, obviously) after I saw the flashback scene and how Frog talked like a scared dorky normal dude as Glenn I just figured he was trying really hard to put out some tough mysterious swordsman image. I kinda like it better like that.

TEHJOE posted:

This is actually a pretty cool perspective on it. It'd be even better if they'd had some NPC comment on Frog's weird speech to solidify the idea of him putting on an air. In its current state I think the idea just doesn't feel complete, but I acknowledge that could very well have been what Woolsey was getting at.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
If you have archives Quovak's lp explains Frogs transformation in great detail. An excellent lp.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Thanks, I read that. I still don't think the accent is quite justified by what's in the game, but I do think it's a strong interpretation and certainly adds to my appreciation of Woolsey's translation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Magus's name in japanese is Maou, which literally means "demon king" :eng101:
It's also his name in that awful literal translation, so you have moments like Ozzie Binegar going "M... Maou-sama!"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't even like JRPGs, but goddamn if "Fiendlord" isn't a great word.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Magus's name in japanese is Maou, which literally means "demon king" :eng101:
It's also his name in that awful literal translation, so you have moments like Ozzie Binegar going "M... Maou-sama!"

Hahaha, are you serious, does it seriously call him Binegar? Oh man, that's the worst kind of weeaboo.

I could see going "Vinega" or something instead to make it slightly more namelike but if you're gonna be hyper-literal your rear end better deal with the fact there are three villains named Vinegar, Soy Sauce and Mayonnaise.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 9, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't even like JRPGs, but goddamn if "Fiendlord" isn't a great word.

Darkdeath Evilman is better :colbert:

^^^ yeah I'm pretty sure it used the original names for Magus' goonsquad, and JAPAN HAS NO V SOUND SO B, I AM A MASTER TRANSLATOR

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha, are you serious, does it seriously call him Binegar? Oh man, that's the worst kind of weeaboo.

I could see going "Vinega" or something instead to make it slightly more namelike but if you're gonna be hyper-literal your rear end better deal with the fact there are three villains named Vinegar, Soy Sauce and Mayonnaise.

They were all Dragon Ball Z references :v: The series that had characters called Vegetable, Freezer and Carrot, and the same artist as Chrono Trigger.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

When is the Circle Pad Pro XL coming out in the US, why is it taking this long, seriously, I want to play Monster Hunter 3 and actually be able to control the camera in a sensible way.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

JebanyPedal posted:

When is the Circle Pad Pro XL coming out in the US, why is it taking this long, seriously, I want to play Monster Hunter 3 and actually be able to control the camera in a sensible way.

If it was going to come out, it probably would have already been released by now. Your best bet is to import one on Amazon or elsewhere.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

katkillad2 posted:

If it was going to come out, it probably would have already been released by now. Your best bet is to import one on Amazon or elsewhere.

See, that makes sense until you realize the asking price is around 40 dollars for a peripheral that was originally half that price, no thanks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So I am a stupid shithead and haven't been keeping up with DS-related news but I have a question:
I'm going in for some surgery in about a month and will need to stay in bed for around four days or so. I would love to get a 3D XL and OOT 3D but I'm afraid that I won't get much use out of the device after I am able to get back to my PC. Since I can't take digital devices to work aside from my phone (crazy government paranoia) can I really expect to get a ton of use from the 3DS?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Only if you enjoy fun videogames.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's a ton of stuff on 3DS you can't play elsewhere. If you see something that interests you, you should go for it.

JebanyPedal posted:

See, that makes sense until you realize the asking price is around 40 dollars for a peripheral that was originally half that price, no thanks.
Here you go, $25 on ebay.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Am I too late for CT translation chat? I don't care. I like Frog's SNES faux-Shakespeare talk better. You say it doesn't make sense for him to speak that way since no one else in his time era did? Wrong. Frog took being a noble knight very seriously. More seriously than anyone else in his time. He might have spoke regularly when he was a human, but after being turned into a frogman, he had no reason to be embarrassed any more.

Fiendlord was a pretty badass title though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Inzombiac posted:

So I am a stupid shithead and haven't been keeping up with DS-related news but I have a question:
I'm going in for some surgery in about a month and will need to stay in bed for around four days or so. I would love to get a 3D XL and OOT 3D but I'm afraid that I won't get much use out of the device after I am able to get back to my PC. Since I can't take digital devices to work aside from my phone (crazy government paranoia) can I really expect to get a ton of use from the 3DS?

The 3DS is the most unique console out and the games you play on it will mostly be original to the platform and not very similar to what you can get elsewhere. The 3D is really cool too. Go for it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Clash of Elementalists, some Japanese DSiWare game, is confirmed for a Western release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiDJ1dfUsvg

Announcement below:

quote:

Video game’s developer and publisher, Teyon along with Japanese developer, AMZY announced the collaborated release of their action fighting game, Clash of Elementalists to Europe and North America this Thursday, April 11th. The title will be available on the Nintendo 3DS™ hand-held system in the Nintendo eShop for €4.99/$4.99 respectively and on Nintendo DSiWare™ for 500 Nintendo DSi Points™.

Battling it out in a fight to prove their superiority, players select from four distinct Elementalists, each representing one of the four planetary elements; earth, fire, water and air. Each character’s fighting style and weaponry reflects their element creating engaging and explosive rounds of powerful and fast action. There are a total of four modes of game play available and depending on which mode is chosen, the fighting conditions such as the amount of rounds per battle, the battlefield and length of each round are adjustable.

Clash of Elementalists also includes the DS Wireless feature, enabling two player matches between two Nintendo DSi™ or Nintendo 3DS systems via a local wireless connection. Here players will be able to battle against their friends in customized battle conditions or for more variety, at random.

Play for victory in 4 different modes: Training, Arcade, Free Battle and Versus
Battle against your friends in 2 player mode
Select your character based on their elements; Celsius, Biot, Fahrenheit or Mole
Master insane finishing moves for an incredible game-play experience!

Looks sort of Kid Icarus-lite or a non-mecha Virtual On.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Is there legitimate belief that the Circle Pad Pro XL isn't? That's a foolish thing to believe. If this were like some weird heart-rate sensor for a Suda51 Japan eShop only game but if they bothered bringing the original to America then they'll probably bring this one over too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WASDF posted:

Is there legitimate belief that the Circle Pad Pro XL isn't? That's a foolish thing to believe. If this were like some weird heart-rate sensor for a Suda51 Japan eShop only game but if they bothered bringing the original to America then they'll probably bring this one over too.

Except the original sold pretty poorly due to a lovely launch and drat near no games that used it. I was going to get one for RE:R but by the time I got my hands on the thing I had 40 hours into RE and was used to the standard controls.

• Locked thread