Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Furious Lobster posted:

I've always enjoyed Richard P. Feynman's auto-biography Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, which isn't directly about science but involves anecdotal first-hand accounts of interactions with the 20th century's most well-known physicists. Also because Feynman was a brilliant physicist in his own right, a lot of science does spill out onto his writings. The other part of the book are accounts of interesting escapades in his life.

This is a great book and I'd recommend it for anyone.

The referenced post reminded me of a book I want to read, though:

quote:

Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution

In December 1667, maverick physician Jean Denis transfused calf’s blood into one of Paris’s most notorious madmen. Days later, the madman was dead and Denis was framed for murder. A riveting exposé of the fierce debates, deadly politics, and cutthroat rivalries behind the first transfusion experiments, Blood Work takes us from dissection rooms in palaces to the streets of Paris, providing an unforgettable portrait of an era that wrestled with the same questions about morality and experimentation that haunt medical science today.

Tucker, associate professor in Vanderbilt University's Center for Medicine, Health and Society, does a marvelous job of chronicling the 17th-century controversy pitting science against religion and shows how much of the language used then against the new technique of blood transfusion mirrors language used today against stem cell research and cloning. In 1667, building on work done in England, Jean-Baptiste Denis, a self-promoting young Frenchman, transfused lamb's blood into a human. His work angered many, including those who believed that the soul was housed in the blood and transfusion was blasphemous; others who clung to bloodletting as a treatment rather than blood transfusions; and those protecting their own scientific reputations from an unknown upstart. When Denis's second transfused patient died suddenly, Denis was accused of murder. Exploring the charge, Tucker unearths compelling evidence that the patient was murdered—by a cabal attempting to discredit Denis. The affair halted all experiments in blood transfusion for 150 years. Tucker's sleuthing adds drama to an utterly compelling picture of Europe at the moment when modern science was being shaped. B&w illus. (Mar.)

from the Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Work-Medicine-Scientific-Revolution/dp/0393342239

Part of me really wants to read this, but I know my squeamishness wouldn't be able to handle it. Anyone else read it and can give a trip report / review?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?

Furious Lobster posted:

I've always enjoyed Richard P. Feynman's auto-biography Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, which isn't directly about science but involves anecdotal first-hand accounts of interactions with the 20th century's most well-known physicists. Also because Feynman was a brilliant physicist in his own right, a lot of science does spill out onto his writings. The other part of the book are accounts of interesting escapades in his life.
I've read this as well, but unfortunately it's my dad's old copy! Thanks for the suggestion, though. I think he's also got Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track: The Letters of Richard P. Feynman which I guess I should have mentioned in my post.

funkybottoms posted:

Ghost Map is the flu book and the author is Steven Johnson, whose Invention of Air is also really good. Naked Statistics just recently came out and looks awesome, but I haven't read it yet, and since he likes math, Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise might be worth a look. Similar things I've enjoyed are The Killer of Little Shepherds, Blood Work, King of Poisons: A History of Arsenic, The Great Big Book of Horrible Things, The Tiger, A History of the World in 100 Objects, and pretty much any Mary Roach or Simon Winchester
I've seen Nate Silver's book on Amazon and I will definitely check the rest of these out. Blood Work sounds really interesting and maybe my dad can borrow it after I'm done...

nate fisher posted:

Since he likes books about the flu, science, and horror fiction (Dean Koontz), let me recommend one of the scariest non-fiction books you can read, Spillover: Animal Infections nd the Next Human Pandemic by David Quammen.

Also Mary Roach has several other books that he may like (if he hasn't read them yet).
Wow, this sounds really loving grim. I've found that his own morbid curiosity doesn't go as far as mine does and if something gets too 'grim' he'll quit reading it. I'll put it on my wishlist. I think he might like Mary Roach's Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I also recommend a somewhat obscure title, Sam Kean's The Disappearing Spoon which I found to be a really interesting collection of events from science history. It's mostly about element discoveries and the people, politics, and rivalries that abounded during them. How many discoveries were made by accident, due to extreme rivalries between universities, or had an economic or military basis. I think I recommended it before a few months ago and it's still valid.

It's got really approachable explanations for the science layman and while the storytelling isn't Feynmann entertaining, it's still good bathroom reading. It really shows how flawed scientists are, just like everyone else. Even the ones we put on pedestals.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 26, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Angstronaut posted:

I've read this as well, but unfortunately it's my dad's old copy! Thanks for the suggestion, though. I think he's also got Perfectly Reasonable Deviations from the Beaten Track: The Letters of Richard P. Feynman which I guess I should have mentioned in my post.

Feynman also wrote a sequel, What Do You Care What Other People Think?, which has his dissection of the Challenger investigation among other interesting bits.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Bhodi posted:

I also recommend a somewhat obscure title, Sam Kean's The Disappearing Spoon which I found to be a really interesting collection of events from science history.

I also recommend this book. I don't like chemistry and am not good at it, but the whole book is clear to me and it is just fascinating. One of my favourite part was about the periodic table and how the guy who found it (through theory) was basically obsessed and outright denied the results of an experiment that seemingly prove the table wrong.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
While actually obtaining it is a chore outside of Australia, Melissa Lucashenko's new book Mullumbimby is great. It's focused on the story of an Aboriginal woman trying to handle Native Title claims, love and her dysfunctional daughter all at once.

I am shilling my mother's book on the Internet, what the hell am I doing

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
In the last few months I've been on a reading hiatus that I feel bad about and I want to get back on it.

I'd like something easy and gripping to get me back in the game.

I've been thinking about Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere but I don't feel like visiting London yet I'd like something urban, mystical, maybe a little sci-fi-ed, set in present day or the near future. I've already read all the cyberpunk classics though.

Thanks!

edit: nevermind, I think I'm diving in The Dresden Files! Keep the recommendations coming if you've got'em though!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London (aka Midnight Riot in the US) is all of the things you mentioned, not to mention highly regarded by most of the crowd in the Dresden thread.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

wheatpuppy posted:

Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London (aka Midnight Riot in the US) is all of the things you mentioned, not to mention highly regarded by most of the crowd in the Dresden thread.

I totally agree with this, but he did say he didn't want to visit London and the Peter Grant books are all about London.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Okay, guys, I would like a book that teaches you social skills and how relations between men and women should look like. I don't really like self-help books, I learn best by following examples so novels would be more up my alley. Thanks.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Red Garland posted:

Okay, guys, I would like a book that teaches you social skills and how relations between men and women should look like. I don't really like self-help books, I learn best by following examples so novels would be more up my alley. Thanks.

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Got something specific I'm looking for. Are there any good horror/suspense books abouts exploring? Caves, houses, islands, whatever.

A really good example is the Navidson Record from House of Leaves.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ineffiable posted:

Got something specific I'm looking for. Are there any good horror/suspense books abouts exploring? Caves, houses, islands, whatever.

At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft is a good one.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ineffiable posted:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/ ?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That was also another thing I was thinking of that I wanted more of.

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013

mirthdefect posted:

The Night Land by William Hope Hodgson.
"H. P. Lovecraft's essay "Supernatural Horror in Literature" describes the novel as "one of the most potent pieces of macabre imagination ever written"."

...SOUNDS LEGIT.

Old Janx Spirit
Jun 26, 2010

an ode to the artisans of
luxury, a willed madness,
a fabulous dinosaur...

Red Garland posted:

American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Red Garland posted:

The Game by Neil Strauss

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Red Garland posted:

LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates or The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Red Garland posted:

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

Doctor Tupac
Oct 9, 2012

by T. Finninho
Edit: Nevermind, found a more appropriate thread for my question.

Doctor Tupac fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 31, 2013

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
I heard Infinite Jest would be good. Would it be good?

Mr. Squishy posted:

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates or The Secret Agent by Joseph Conrad.
I've been planning to read Revolutionary Road for a while now, the 60's setting interests me. Never heard of The Secret Agent, though. Could you tell me something about it?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I was just having fun and listing books with terrible marriage dynamics. The Secret Agent's about anarchy and cynicism masking itself as anarchy, but the marriage at the centre's so tragic, lots of people cherishing the illusion that they could be loved. Infinite Jest's good, but not really about healthy inter-gender relationships. There's some stuff in there about "feeling bad about your terrible inter-gender relationships", but that's really as far as it goes.
I'm wracking my brain for books detailing positive relationships, but can't think of one. I'm putting this down to fiction's demand for conflict.

Khris Kruel
Nov 5, 2003

Ask me about being a SJW in EE and working to make anyone who disagrees with me a villain and gets no opportunity to defend themselves at all because my army or sycophants I buy off with pixels follows me blindly.

Hey guys.

I'm currently writing a fantasy book that is mostly battles. Its come to my attention I may actually suck at writing battles. can anyone recommend me a good fantasy book that they enjoyed the battle scenes?

Specifically one on one or one vs many, with magic and weapons

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Khris Kruel posted:

Hey guys.

I'm currently writing a fantasy book that is mostly battles. Its come to my attention I may actually suck at writing battles. can anyone recommend me a good fantasy book that they enjoyed the battle scenes?

Say what you will about the lots-of-extra-wordsiness in Malazan, I think the battles are very well written and include what you're asking for.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phummus posted:

Say what you will about the lots-of-extra-wordsiness in Malazan, I think the battles are very well written and include what you're asking for.

Similarly, I'd point to the Wheel of Time series as having fairly well done battle scenes. Jordan had direct combat experience and it really shows; he writes first-person battle scenes that are confusing, disjointed, hectic, and terrifying, mostly told in flashback, and the overall effect is very much veteran's-eye; his battle scenes are very believable. Sanderson has a very different style of writing a combat scene and it makes for an interesting contrast -- Sanderson's battle scenes are movie-epic in style with big sweeping camera movements. It's like the difference between, say, Kubrick and Peter Jackson.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Similarly, I'd point to the Wheel of Time series as having fairly well done battle scenes. Jordan had direct combat experience and it really shows; he writes first-person battle scenes that are confusing, disjointed, hectic, and terrifying, mostly told in flashback, and the overall effect is very much veteran's-eye; his battle scenes are very believable. Sanderson has a very different style of writing a combat scene and it makes for an interesting contrast -- Sanderson's battle scenes are movie-epic in style with big sweeping camera movements. It's like the difference between, say, Kubrick and Peter Jackson.

Agree, there's a really noticeable difference in writing styles between thsoe 2 authors. It's even more noticeable in small scale encounters, since Jordan describes duels as a test of strength/skill (ie. as a glorified and well written arm wrestling contest), whereas in Sanderson's books duels are all about whoever is smarter and knows more tricks (ie. extremely detailed and cinematically written speed chess). Some prefer one, some prefer the other.

To give another suggestion that does not require you to read a huge book series (10+ books), I'm going to recommend Joe Abercombie. More specifically, The Heroes, which is a book about one specific battle in some big war. It's really great and it is a great example of how you can write a battle without glorifying it. His trilogy (The First Law) also contains some battle scenes (especially book 3) and it is generally recommened to read the trilogy before The Heroes, but if you want specifically to learn about battles you should just read the heroes first.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

After playing through Bioshock Infinite and then watching Jurassic Park 3D last night, I'm realizing that I really like the trope of theme parks in fiction, with a particular affinity for idealistic, controlled, themed worlds and environments, especially when those environments then become corrupted, break down, or go wrong.

I have read Ready Player One, Dream Park, and Down and out in the Magic Kingdom, any of which would be good recs for this request. What else?

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
Utopia by Lincoln Child might be up your alley.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Transistor Rhythm posted:

After playing through Bioshock Infinite and then watching Jurassic Park 3D last night, I'm realizing that I really like the trope of theme parks in fiction, with a particular affinity for idealistic, controlled, themed worlds and environments, especially when those environments then become corrupted, break down, or go wrong.

I have read Ready Player One, Dream Park, and Down and out in the Magic Kingdom, any of which would be good recs for this request. What else?

Tad Williams' Otherland

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Transistor Rhythm posted:

CivilWarLand in Bad Decline by George Saunders is excellent. It's a short story collection, but the titular story is quite good and right up your alley.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Khris Kruel posted:

Hey guys.

I really enjoyed the battle scenes in The Black Prism and it's sequel, by Brent Weeks. Creative uses of magic.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Samolety posted:

I'd like a novel that focuses on likeable characters and their interaction, but without character 'drama' being the main point (ie, not too soap opera-ish). I have Sci-fi in mind, but I'd be happy with fantasy too.

I've got a couple recommendations from fantasy:
The Mistborn Series, starting with The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson. Group of thieves try to overthrow corrupt government.
The Gentleman Bastard Series, starting with The Lies of Locke Lamora, by Scott Lynch. Charismatic talented thief recruits and runs a group of con artists and the stakes get raised.

Pancakes by Mail
Oct 21, 2010

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Goaltender Carey Price was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.
I just devoured both "Cannery Row" and "Sweet Thursday" in about a four day span and loved both of them. That's my first taste of Steinbeck and I loved both his writing style and the combination of the setting and good-natured theme of the work. Any recommendations for something in that vein?

Red Garland
Jan 6, 2013
Looking for some organized crime fiction. Preferably relatively modern and realistic - not Godfather.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 22, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd love to read about modern day life in Antarctica, especially books that focus on the scientific research that goes on there. I also just really want to read about what day to day life is like on the bases there. I'd really prefer books from the last decade or so.

Adib
Jan 23, 2012

These are strange times, my dear...

Hedrigall posted:

I'd love to read about modern day life in Antarctica, especially books that focus on the scientific research that goes on there. I also just really want to read about what day to day life is like on the bases there. I'd really prefer books from the last decade or so.

I know you prefer more recent books, but the only book I know of is one from the 1930s: Alone: The Classic Polar Adventure by Admiral Richard E. Byrd. Oddly enough, I came across that title when Dale Carnegie recommended it in his How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. Anyway, I personally haven't read Alone, but Carnegie's description of it made it sound like a highly compelling read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Adib posted:

I know you prefer more recent books, but the only book I know of is one from the 1930s: Alone: The Classic Polar Adventure by Admiral Richard E. Byrd. Oddly enough, I came across that title when Dale Carnegie recommended it in his How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. Anyway, I personally haven't read Alone, but Carnegie's description of it made it sound like a highly compelling read.

I'd also recommend Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, though I suppose it's more about what can go horribly wrong.

Not modern day, but an incredible adventure and subsequent rescue from disaster with no lives lost.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 9, 2013