Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Congrats, Benny! At the very least, this shows just what your perseverance can do for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

ClemenSalad posted:

Yes finally!
Now don't panic like the warehouse. When you start to feel overwhelmed, just focus on one task at a time, put meat on grill, now check microwave, then check buns, etc. Don't worry if you are slow the first week or two they fully expect that. They just expect you to remain calm and show up.
I've worked in kitchens before, so I'm as happy as a clam that this is my job. I'm also glad that I still have the non-slip shoes that I used working in McDonald's. Those things are expensive.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT

Benny the Snake posted:

I've worked in kitchens before, so I'm as happy as a clam that this is my job. I'm also glad that I still have the non-slip shoes that I used working in McDonald's. Those things are expensive.

$9 at walmart, get in that poor mindset kitchen worker brother

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Good for you, Benny!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

MotherFuckingT-REX posted:

$9 at walmart, get in that poor mindset kitchen worker brother
Okay so they're not expensive. I'm just glad I have them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

toby posted:

My keyboard is wood and I type by knocking so don't worry

That's pretty legit.

I wish my keyboard was cool like yours.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

toby posted:

My god. It has finally happened, maybe.

Don't count ya chickens 'fore they hatch, toby!

Good luck, Benny. Save that money and move out ASAP.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Congrats, man!

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Congratulations!

Finally, a burst of new posts for the right reason ;)

Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
Congrats!

Now come back and teach us how to make some sweet mexican food.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Hey when they teach you the whole like, "carry a billion plates on one arm" trick, come back here and explain that wizardry to me.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

I, for one, would like to see a sequel to my old "Reasons I No Longer Desire to Work in Retail" megathread that's dedicated to the foodservice industry.

It would be excellent writing practice to keep those skills sharp, Benny. :colbert:

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm sure it'll be fine. Sounds like your hired.

AcidRonin posted:

Hey when they teach you the whole like, "carry a billion plates on one arm" trick, come back here and explain that wizardry to me.

Arms out, palms up. You pinch plates 1 and 2 under your thumbs. Plates 3 and 4 go on your forearms. If you keep your elbows in, you can use your stomach to leverage the plates on your forearms. It's not as hard as they make it look. The weight the food adds actually gives you more leverage. If you have a nice, heavy plate of pasta, you can actually stick & move faster than you could if you had a little appetizer plate. The toughest is when you have to balance a tray of wine glasses.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Cool. Once you settle in at this job its time to get to Step 2) in this thread, which is to get out of your current living situation.

We've been stuck on Step 1) so long that I think a lot of us forgot why this thread was started in the first place.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Congrats Benny! You did good, keep it up.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
How did the Hollister interview go?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Arch Stanton posted:

How did the Hollister interview go?
It's later on today. In about a couple of hours. I'm here sitting at the bookstore killing time until then. I'm so nervous :ohdear:

toby
Dec 4, 2002

You have another job lined up, and you're fairly certain you won't get this one. There is no reason to be nervous, it is basically just interview practice without any real pressure.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Benny the Snake posted:

It's later on today. In about a couple of hours. I'm here sitting at the bookstore killing time until then. I'm so nervous :ohdear:

Just apply the Strong Belwas method. Walk in and give the first employee you see five accross the eyes. While they are dazed, drop a deuce right in front of the register. This shows them that you are the kind of employee who doesn't take anyone's poo poo.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well I just got done with the Hollister interview. I had applied for the position called "impact", where I'd help stock and present the merchandise on the shelves. "Models" are the guys on the storeroom floor helping customers. It was a group interview and I was there with only one other person-some girl named Bethany. Each of us had to answer three separate questions about specific experiences working with people. I think I did better than she did by default. I don't think English was her first language. I don't know if I'm going to get the job or not, but I'm glad I applied for backroom stock as opposed to storeroom floor. I was told I'd get a call in a week if I was hired. On to the kitchen job.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Clearly, you should have used my advice for maximum "impact".

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Toshimo posted:

Clearly, you should have used my advice for maximum "impact".
:downsrim:

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Well I just got done with the Hollister interview. I had applied for the position called "impact", where I'd help stock and present the merchandise on the shelves. "Models" are the guys on the storeroom floor helping customers. It was a group interview and I was there with only one other person-some girl named Bethany. Each of us had to answer three separate questions about specific experiences working with people. I think I did better than she did by default. I don't think English was her first language. I don't know if I'm going to get the job or not, but I'm glad I applied for backroom stock as opposed to storeroom floor. I was told I'd get a call in a week if I was hired. On to the kitchen job.

They hire the floor staff as models so they can discriminate based on looks. Being pretty/handsome is a bona fide occupational requirement for models, but not retail clerks.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

If the perfume/cologne smell in those stores doesn't bother you, I don't think merchandising would be such a bad job in a small-ish store like Hollister, especially since you wouldn't be dealing with customers so much. I'd pick it over kitchen work any day (I can't stand how hot it is, and I'm terrible at... you know, food prep in general), but I'm sure you feel differently since you've had good experiences with restaurant jobs. Major retail chains also usually (but not always) tend to be better than independent or franchise restaurants when it comes to following labor laws, giving you all of the break time you're legally entitled to, making sure you're not owed back pay that you may or may not see, etc.

Have you figured out how the pay compares between these two jobs? If Hollister makes you a better offer (more hours, higher wages, benefits, whatever), would you leave the kitchen job for it? Once you have the offer in hand, it's OK to ask plenty of questions about this stuff. You may not have room to negotiate, but it's still good to know the facts.

Oh, and are you still up for an interview at American Eagle?

Edit: Also, make sure that for retail, you clarify that the job is permanent and not seasonal. We're about a month away from university break, so they may be starting their summer hiring.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

PurePerfection posted:

If the perfume/cologne smell in those stores doesn't bother you, I don't think merchandising would be such a bad job in a small-ish store like Hollister, especially since you wouldn't be dealing with customers so much. I'd pick it over kitchen work any day (I can't stand how hot it is, and I'm terrible at... you know, food prep in general), but I'm sure you feel differently since you've had good experiences with restaurant jobs. Major retail chains also usually (but not always) tend to be better than independent or franchise restaurants when it comes to following labor laws, giving you all of the break time you're legally entitled to, making sure you're not owed back pay that you may or may not see, etc.

Have you figured out how the pay compares between these two jobs? If Hollister makes you a better offer (more hours, higher wages, benefits, whatever), would you leave the kitchen job for it? Once you have the offer in hand, it's OK to ask plenty of questions about this stuff. You may not have room to negotiate, but it's still good to know the facts.

Oh, and are you still up for an interview at American Eagle?

Edit: Also, make sure that for retail, you clarify that the job is permanent and not seasonal. We're about a month away from university break, so they may be starting their summer hiring.
I called AE on Monday and the hiring manager told me she had to confirm references before they could start hiring. Which wouldn't happen for a week. I'm starting to think they're giving me the run-around.

Now as for which job I'm keeping, that's a hard question. See the grill is right here in town. It's really convenient and I'd have no excuse for showing up late. Hollister, however, is located in the next town and I'd have to take a bus up and down. On the other hand, I'd have a bigger opportunity at Hollister to promote myself. As I said earlier, all that's required for a management position over there is a Bachelor's degree. What I'm going to do is wait until I get a call back from Hollister and then go from there. With another job, I'll also have the leverage to negotiate.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
You can't really negotiate with entry-level retail. They need someone to do a job, and if you start pussy footing around making both job offers wait while you try and negotiate something, you could end up without a job. You do not have some specialized skill. You can briefly try and negotiate, but if you get offered a job, you better be willing to say yes or no that day. Your greatest strength right now is realizing how replaceable you are.

If you feel like burning bridges, you can accept both jobs and then call one whenever and say you're not coming in. It'll make you feel like a douche, but hey, either job will not hesitate to drop you that quickly as well.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

reflex posted:

You can't really negotiate with entry-level retail. They need someone to do a job, and if you start pussy footing around making both job offers wait while you try and negotiate something, you could end up without a job. You do not have some specialized skill. You can briefly try and negotiate, but if you get offered a job, you better be willing to say yes or no that day. Your greatest strength right now is realizing how replaceable you are.

If you feel like burning bridges, you can accept both jobs and then call one whenever and say you're not coming in. It'll make you feel like a douche, but hey, either job will not hesitate to drop you that quickly as well.

This. For retail/restaurant work, you have no leverage on wages even if you've got another job. You may have one other offer, but they definitely have a dozen other candidates willing to do the job, probably at minimum wage.

However, in this situation, you do need to get all the details you can about pay, benefits, hours, promotion opportunities, etc. so that you can make a fair comparison. It's not all about the hourly wage, either. If the restaurant offers a slightly lower wage but is closer and would give you more hours, there's a good case for choosing it. If Hollister offers you a lower starting wage but also has benefits, a faster pay increase schedule, and better promotion options, you have a case for that too. There are plenty of factors to consider.

You should also think about how either of them would look on a resume. Which one do you think would be easier to spin as relevant experience for your future career? Which one can you claim teaches you transferable skills? Neither are particularly applicable to the field of English Literature, but part of writing a good resume is being able to show how you learned something important even in jobs that don't seem significant.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Are these both full-time positions? Any reason you couldn't work both?

callmekat
Mar 24, 2013

Eris posted:

Are these both full-time positions? Any reason you couldn't work both?

This. I'm still a full time student, and I've been juggling part time jobs during the school year since freshman year. During the summer, I work anywhere from sixty to eighty hours a week. Working two jobs certainly isn't impossible, especially if you have a goal in mind.

(Also, congrats on the grill job!)

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

callmekat posted:

This. I'm still a full time student, and I've been juggling part time jobs during the school year since freshman year. During the summer, I work anywhere from sixty to eighty hours a week. Working two jobs certainly isn't impossible, especially if you have a goal in mind.

(Also, congrats on the grill job!)

Only problem I could see with this is if they both want him during the same hours, and I'm guessing that if he was asked, he told both that he was available for any shift. Has the grill told you what your schedule would be like? Did they say anything about it when you interviewed at Hollister?

If you want to do both, I think you still need to decide which one you're going to prioritize, and which one you would be willing to lose if a scheduling conflict arises.

Fake edit: Isn't it such a wonderful new development, having gone from berating Benny about not owning a suit jacket to advising him on how to balance not one but TWO potential jobs? :D

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 10, 2013

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

PurePerfection posted:

If you want to do both, I think you still need to decide which one you're going to prioritize, and which one you would be willing to lose if a scheduling conflict arises.

Definitely. I don't know if the UK and the US are the same in this regard, but I knew a lot of people while I was working retail who tried to balance two retail jobs. They were contracted for 8 hours at my shop, but my manager got very very fed up of phoning them to offer extra hours only to find they were already working at their other job that day. Almost all of them ended up picking one or the other. So having an idea in your mind about which you'd pick if you had to is a very good idea.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Maud Moonshine posted:

Definitely. I don't know if the UK and the US are the same in this regard, but I knew a lot of people while I was working retail who tried to balance two retail jobs. They were contracted for 8 hours at my shop, but my manager got very very fed up of phoning them to offer extra hours only to find they were already working at their other job that day. Almost all of them ended up picking one or the other. So having an idea in your mind about which you'd pick if you had to is a very good idea.

When I worked (US) retail, this happened a lot, too. I worked evenings and weekends most of the year because of school, and a lot of other employees had similar schedules in addition to a full-time day job. This got to be problematic sometimes if they were late to work due to obligations at their first job, or if they had a very limited number of hours they could guarantee they were available. If you're going to do something like this, the ideal situation is to have one job that gives you a lot of very regular, predictable hours, and a second job with part time hours and a flexible schedule that allows you take shifts when your other job doesn't need you.

If both positions gave you regular hours that were set far in advance and never conflicted with each other, that would also be great, but it's an unlikely scenario with these kinds of jobs.

I have plenty of experience juggling multiple jobs, and for me it was easier to get settled in one job first, figure out how the scheduling is done and how much time I could reliably commit to an additional job, and then go looking for a second job later. However, if you can make it work, strike while the iron is hot and snatch up both of these offers. Just be prepared to let one of them go if scheduling is a problem. If you immediately prioritize one over other and give that job whatever hours it demands, you can be somewhat sure that at least one of these positions is going to keep you on and give you a good reference.

EDIT: Having the primary/secondary job setup can also be a good budgeting method, if your primary job covers your basic needs. Primary job income goes to necessary expenses and savings toward housing/car ONLY. Secondary job income is your spending money, or money you can throw into savings to speed up the process of getting that car or apartment.

PurePerfection fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 10, 2013

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Benny the Snake posted:

I called AE on Monday and the hiring manager told me she had to confirm references before they could start hiring. Which wouldn't happen for a week. I'm starting to think they're giving me the run-around.

The organization I work for has over 400 employees, and this is normal procedure and a pretty good timeline. A week turnaround is very normal. I am currently 7 business days past the closing date for a position I am hiring for, and HR hasn't given me the posting folder with the applications so I can't schedule interviews yet. Don't stress out about this, they will do their thing and sometimes it takes a while for a simple process.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

The organization I work for has over 400 employees, and this is normal procedure and a pretty good timeline. A week turnaround is very normal. I am currently 7 business days past the closing date for a position I am hiring for, and HR hasn't given me the posting folder with the applications so I can't schedule interviews yet. Don't stress out about this, they will do their thing and sometimes it takes a while for a simple process.

This. If you haven't heard from them by next week and you're still interested in the job, casually check in with them again. As long as you're friendly and easygoing about it, it won't come off as too pushy.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
When does the grill job start? We need to hear about a successful first day before the guy with the wooden keyboard gets terminal splinters.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Fabulist posted:

When does the grill job start? We need to hear about a successful first day before the guy with the wooden keyboard gets terminal splinters.
I have the job. The manager told me he wants me in tomorrow, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I was waiting until the manager told me to come back tomorrow and he did. I am so, so, happy right now :buddy:

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Job Haver, now it is time to start planning your escape, shift gears to "move out asap"

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

toby posted:

Job Haver, now it is time to start planning your escape, shift gears to "move out asap"
What's kneecapping me is that I have to start paying off my loans next month. So I'm not holding anything in stone right now. So right now I'm tentatively scheduling my moving out to Summer.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Apply for deferment or forbearance. Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

What's kneecapping me is that I have to start paying off my loans next month. So I'm not holding anything in stone right now. So right now I'm tentatively scheduling my moving out to Summer.

Congratulations! Your next step should be to start forming a budget. Write down all your expenses and an itemized list of what you'll need when you move out. Furnishing an apartment is deceptively expensive, and this is one area where having a roommate who's already established can save you hundreds of dollars. Keep an eye out for freebies too- with a couple of months to plan you can probably pick up some small pieces you'll need. If you live near a college check out the campus at the end of the year- with a truck you can probably reduce your furnishing costs to near zero.

You should also get into the habit of stashing some money into an emergency fund. If you're living paycheck to paycheck eventually there'll be a day when you're out of toilet paper, your car has a flat, and you have a toothache. It doesn't sound like you have much of a safety net, so you need to build one for yourself.

• Locked thread