Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Alternatively, help me buy 500 iPads to be artistic. This one is a repeat offender.

Ahaha

quote:

Pledge $10,000 or more
The iPadded Cell will be called “your choice of name’s” iPadded Cell. If multiple rewards exceed this amount, the person with the highest donation will be the chooser. You also get every other perk.

Give me $10,000 but if someone else gives me $10,001 then gently caress you.

Hey, for $750 you get one of the iPads! (Not a limited reward btw)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maledict
Jan 5, 2005

Ask me about being worldly

Cicero posted:

This concept art has quite the resemblance to the enemies in Ghost of a Tale.

Never heard of that game - but thanks for telling me :) To address that, simply put: Nil novi sub sol.

There's nothing new under the son. Everything's pretty much been done to death at this point - it's all a matter of repackaging what's already passed, that will resonate with audiences here and now (Instead of being remembered or thought of as, "ahead of their time"), in a form that is somehow "new" in a sense that the current audiences haven't seen yet (But was perhaps done 50 years ago, etc).

For instance, with the above piece, one of my first serious concept pieces, I was accused of plagiarizing Kerrigan from Starcraft - even though I pretty much arrived at the design and look using various other pieces for inspiration (The Solar from Baldur' Gate II, The Terminator - but mainly a certain Recon Cyborg Drone from one of the Dominance War winners). If anyone has issue with that, they can ask the ghost of Joseph Campbell and his seminal work.

That said, the original "Your World" concept art pieces were bloody abysmal - $42 million dollars and he couldn't shell out a couple of thousand dollars investment for some Art Center grads, or even looked around conceptart.org and asked around - and instead went with some adolescent animu tracer? Anyone in the industry knows that you can't just "have ideas" like "Ideas Man" Barlette, you have to be able to do something solid. Having only concept art is bad enough, as by definition they're just the ideas in the form of a 2d .jpg. Having horrible concept art is even worse.

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

Mr. Burns' Solar Eclipse Machine/iPhone camera rack posted:

Backers

$15,411

pledged of $15,000 goal

days to go

iPhone Kickstarters are nothing if not reliable.
OK, I'm challenging the Kickstarter community right now: Make an iPhone accessory that turns your phone into a self-propelling vehicle for a person.

miguelito has a new favorite as of 08:02 on Apr 9, 2013

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Found this wonderful piece of bullshit this morning: Building the greatest gamer website EVER!

Now to be fair the idea of having a customizable news feed isn't bad. Just not original and hardly a reason to make any particular site "the greatest". But it gets worse:

-EXP system! ...that just encourages high volume/low content posts. You can use the EXP on "features". Oh and don't worry about the fact that people will spam to get exp they'll have "systems" in place to stop that.

-Guild hosting! Because free forums and facebook groups are hard.

-REAL (TM) Reviews! Because all other gaming websites take money for good reviews and we'll never do that.

-Rate articles! Basically reddit. But somehow worse.

-Site Missions! Because...what?

It's just depressing if this is some kid who really thinks this will take off. But further down it pretty much reveals that it's another "idea guy". No writers, no coders, no web developers, no journalistic or web development experience, no nothing. The guy's just going to pay for his site to be made. Oh and he's only asking for $3000. Because that's enough to get a website built from scratch, hosted, hire writers, and promote a brand new website.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Crain posted:

It's just depressing if this is some kid who really thinks this will take off. But further down it pretty much reveals that it's another "idea guy". No writers, no coders, no web developers, no journalistic or web development experience, no nothing. The guy's just going to pay for his site to be made. Oh and he's only asking for $3000. Because that's enough to get a website built from scratch, hosted, hire writers, and promote a brand new website.

No you see the members will write the content, and because he's handing out 'EXP' for it the fools will do it for free! FOR FREEEE!!! THE FOOLS!! :newlol:

quote:

Paths | There will be special Paths which you can progress your account through and receive different perks than that of a normal account. Paths will have tiers that you will be able to gain access to after putting in enough EXP and passing certain milestones. Paths are not something you can just jump into, as they will take a bit of work to progress in.

Paths available at the start:

Path of the Writer - Like to write? Want your articles to be seen? Progressing in this path will eventually allow you to write and post in a user news section of the site for everyone to check out. You'll even be able to earn money from any viewer revenue! Writers will get their own set of skins, titles, and even font colors at different tiers of their path.

They can earn a font colour. A goddamn font colour.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Before everyone gets bored with terrible apple kickstarters:
Are you an indie filmmaker, an art student, low on cash, a douche ?
Looking for a way to record video with a ginormous impractical camera, with no optics to speak of, unswappable battery and poo poo ergonomics ? fit your iPad into this filming rig then

There's a major problem with it right off the top. The point of rotation on the tripod mount isn't anywhere close to being in line with the lens on the iPad. Good luck having nice clean pans with that, fucktard.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There's a major problem with it right off the top. The point of rotation on the tripod mount isn't anywhere close to being in line with the lens on the iPad. Good luck having nice clean pans with that, fucktard.

I doubt the kind of person who would want that product probably doesn't even know the basics of film such as "Panning" and "Framing a shot" so that wouldn't even matter.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No you see the members will write the content, and because he's handing out 'EXP' for it the fools will do it for free! FOR FREEEE!!! THE FOOLS!! :newlol:

They can earn a font colour. A goddamn font colour.

Forums: The RPG.

Earn XP! Gain levels! Customize your character with multiple talent trees! Font wardrobes! Make lovely posts! Exclamation points!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Machai posted:

Earn XP! Gain levels! Customize your character with multiple talent trees! Font wardrobes! Make lovely posts! Exclamation points!

Even better the guy running the project is over here trying to gather some info (spamming) on reddit for ideas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Machai posted:

I don't know whether to max out my con stat and become a shitpostermancer or min/max my int/dex and become a memebarian.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Crain posted:

Even better the guy running the project is over here trying to gather some info (spamming) on reddit for ideas.

Even reddit thinks this guy's idea is dumb. It's a dumb idea.

quote:

You must have misread something, or I wrote something wrong. Let me try to clear some things up. The feeds are available from the get go, as are all of the features you need to make the site you how you want it. The EXP system is there to prevent a lot of what you're talking about and it's built so it will be hard to manipulate; we'll even have mods/staff for people who find away around it and then fix it. If I were to give everyone the option of having the high level path perks, don't you think there would be a lot of people to abuse that? The paths are a way for someone to work towards something, and if you're good and true to what you want to do, it won't take long or be that hard.

"They'll abuse the perks!!!!!" Good work keeping out those forum cheaters with your EXP system, buddy :downsbravo:

What about this: cookie poisoning

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Another great aspect of this "gamer mecca" is this line from the pitch:

quote:

Same ol' same ol' | None of that; we will continuously evolve the site to suit your taste, to make it what you like.

We'll keep adding stuff infinitely! Want custom cursors!? You get custom cursors! How about an email service!? Sure we can do that (I think)! Just tell us what you want please I'll add anything to keep you around!

There is really no solid idea about what this site should be. It's the reason California tortilla loses to Chipotle. Sure people say they want massive choices and options, but once they get it they get confused, it's hard to keep things strait, and it becomes a jumbled mess.

Overall even if this site did get made, it just sounds confusing to use. If it were my first time going there I'd give it probably 30 seconds of my time.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Crain posted:

Found this wonderful piece of bullshit this morning: Building the greatest gamer website EVER!

Are we sure this isn't just what's-his-butt from livingwithstyle just giving it another shot?

Edgar Death
Mar 15, 2013
I really like that little exchange on the Reddit page

quote:

Well what exactly are the perks of having a high exp score?

quote:

It's not really a score, it's more of a currency. Just look at it as, you gain EXP by doing things on the site, you can then spend it on levels(there will be boundaries for levels to prevent trolling and whatnot). EXP will also be able to be spent on other things we have on the site. Its more of a reward for good behavior(in a sense).

quote:

You still haven't really answered my question. What is the EXP for? What does it get you specifically?

It says on the Indiegogo page "You will be able to spend EXP on all sorts of features on the site." What does that mean? What kind of features?

quote:

I'll fix that, I thought I had more detail in there. EXP will be able to spend on a number of things like account levels, boosts, even premium features so you don't have to pay rl money. The site is build for you, so, if you have any thing you'd like to be able to use it for, let me know.

And the updated page with the new details...

quote:

What you can spead EXP on:

Account Levels
Short term boosts
Premium features
Skins packs
EXP points
And more..

Oh, premium features! Okay. And "short term boosts" ???

I'm not sure if he's being vague because he hasn't actually thought of anything or if he's just now realizing that it's a bad idea and doesn't want to admit that you have to buy font colors.

But at least you don't have to actually BUY font colors with real money! Just tell me what you DO want to buy and I'll add it! Please god just use my website

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guys, you're not getting it! It's not just a website, it's an experience! We're creating new paradigms and shaking things up!

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
You can use EXP to buy EXP? :confused:

This guy is already posting as if he's making EXP for every dumb word he says.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I love whenever someone promotes their all-new game review site, there's already a mixed bag review for the newest AAA title, typically with a shocking headline, and then two other reviews: Half-Life 2 and Link to the Past. Or in this case, Left 4 Dead.

edit: This reminds me of Gamocracy, a site someone made a thread about in Games (promoting their own site), about how you earn sweet Pwnz! points for posting and such, with big rewards. The thread's OP got laughed out of Games forever.

http://www.gamocracy.com/

Madcosby has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Apr 9, 2013

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I like this exchange myself. Which details either this guy's extreme ineptitude or proves this is a scam.

So the guy has writers (which I don't think he mentions), but he's going to hire more. And he'd going to use the $3000 to pay them (I think he means plural writers) for some undetermined amount of time? Or maybe pay them on an article by article basis? Either way it's certainly not a full-time, full employment basis.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Has this one been posted already?

Assassin's Creed: Ezio's Journey

quote:

I will use my photographic skills to shoot enticing photographs of the main character Ezio Auditore, a skilled assassin, exploring the rolling hills and rooftops of Italy.

My study abroad program begins in Perugia for the 2013 semester from September to December, and I will be completing the project during my stay. Perugia is a beautiful hilltop walled medieval city in the heart of Italy. It is a hub for young artists and offers the perfect blend of city life and landscapes.
My goal is to create realistic reproductions of Ezio's daring and adventurous journeys through Europe and bring his story to life. After this project is completed, I would like to pitch the series of photos to Ubisoft, in hopes that they will release to the Assassin's Creed fan base, which consists of over 55 million people all over the world.

Since Perugia is a hub for young artists, why couldn't he do something original? Oh wait, because then he'd be even less likely to get internet nerds to pay him to do it.

The best thing would be if he succeeded, but then Ubisoft said "sorry, you've got our IP in all these pictures of some dude dressed like Ezio, no selling them to people."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

You'd think people would understand the whole "Not making money off of other people's/corporations IP" but goddamn if there isn't a lot of projects like that out there (even if you exclude the thinly veiled "original the character" games/comics/cartoons).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Is there a Sonichu kickstarter yet?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

BoutrosBoutros posted:

I doubt the kind of person who would want that product probably doesn't even know the basics of film such as "Panning" and "Framing a shot" so that wouldn't even matter.

I know, but a man can impotently rage. :shobon:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Crain posted:

I like this exchange myself. Which details either this guy's extreme ineptitude or proves this is a scam.

So the guy has writers (which I don't think he mentions), but he's going to hire more. And he'd going to use the $3000 to pay them (I think he means plural writers) for some undetermined amount of time? Or maybe pay them on an article by article basis? Either way it's certainly not a full-time, full employment basis.

quote:

I do have ideas, I think they're pretty drat good ones but my ideas will be hurt from people like you coming in and bashing it just because you didn't read the whole thing, or understand it. I Apologize for any miscommunication within the information, but it's not at all what you're seeing. It would be more helpful if you could reply in a more optimistic, less hater kind of way.

Priceless~ :allears:

These guys need to go touring again, apparently.

Oh, and check out that picture of that guy in the shirt. I apologise in advance for the eye-searing pain you'll be experiencing.

Maledict
Jan 5, 2005

Ask me about being worldly

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Has this one been posted already?

Assassin's Creed: Ezio's Journey

Since Perugia is a hub for young artists, why couldn't he do something original? Oh wait, because then he'd be even less likely to get internet nerds to pay him to do it.

The best thing would be if he succeeded, but then Ubisoft said "sorry, you've got our IP in all these pictures of some dude dressed like Ezio, no selling them to people."

Then they actually file suit to (re)possess the photos, because it still technically *IS* their IP. But then there's a whole murky issue as to whether or not that constitutes copyright infringement, or a derivative, etc.

Which is why the guy should at least know his rights first, and actually *try* to contact Ubisoft first. For example, I did so with Chris (Avellone) of Obsidian before I did the fans pieces I did that're now hanging on the walls of their offices. Even if I intended to actually sell the prints, it's be rude not to ask Chris in the first place.

That said, if the guy was really serious and passionate about it (And have the blessings of Ubisoft and the IP owners), use his own time and money, get the drat costume (Which he has already, that is taken care of), take the camera, and loving do it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is there a Sonichu kickstarter yet?

OH DEAR GOD.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Maledict posted:

Then they actually file suit to (re)possess the photos, because it still technically *IS* their IP. But then there's a whole murky issue as to whether or not that constitutes copyright infringement, or a derivative, etc.

Which is why the guy should at least know his rights first, and actually *try* to contact Ubisoft first. For example, I did so with Chris (Avellone) of Obsidian before I did the fans pieces I did that're now hanging on the walls of their offices. Even if I intended to actually sell the prints, it's be rude not to ask Chris in the first place.

That said, if the guy was really serious and passionate about it (And have the blessings of Ubisoft and the IP owners), use his own time and money, get the drat costume (Which he has already, that is taken care of), take the camera, and loving do it.

I'm interested in how a test case would pan out. There are companies that print and sell photo books of people in costumes, often of copyrighted characters, and they seem to be able to do it without explicit permission from all the many many IP owners of the original characters the costumes are of.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fatkraken posted:

I'm interested in how a test case would pan out. There are companies that print and sell photo books of people in costumes, often of copyrighted characters, and they seem to be able to do it without explicit permission from all the many many IP owners of the original characters the costumes are of.

My first guess would be that they do not have their permission at all, and the IP owners would be very angry if they found out about this :ssh:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

My first guess would be that they do not have their permission at all, and the IP owners would be very angry if they found out about this :ssh:

It's probably akin to the people who dress up as Elmo and super heros in Times Square. Sure they're infringing on your IP, sure they're making money off of it. But most of them are homeless and or destitute in various ways and suing them would either be impossible (How do you serve someone who has no address) or meaningless (since they're just going to plead bankruptcy and go right back to doing it).

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Cosplay culture exists in this weird limbo where there's a lot of money trading hands to make, model, and photograph other people's IP but the IP holders let it slide because it's free advertising and it's not worth the money and the blow to PR to try and pursue legal action. You have people spending a considerable amount of time and money making lovely no-budget comic book fan films and while Marvel and DC might not let them screen them at conventions they don't have them taken down or C&D them nearly as often as you'd expect. To say nothing of the grey-area that is commissioned fan art and selling replica props of other peoples' copyrighted IP like Finn's hat from Adventure Time or the Master Sword or whatever.

As someone who generally thinks that copyright law could loosen up a bit I kind of like it.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, I lasted 2 seconds on that side, and I'm not even epileptic. That's just the most anti-usable place I've seen on the internet for a while.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about. Once I stopped foaming at the mouth and picked myself up off the floor I was shocked at how wonderful the site layout was!

Really if it wasn't for the flashing colours it would be just like every other tumblr out there. OH LOOK I FOUND A CUTE/FUNNY PICTURE AND MADE A WITTY CAPTION FOR IT.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Vietnamwees posted:

The IP owners often know about it, these things are openly sold at large events where representatives of major companies are also present. As ...Of Science says, it's often seen as free advertising. IP holders often have strange and complicated relationships with costuming fans, it varies from company to company (lucasfilm allow a certain amount of stuff from tehir 501st legion stormtrooper costumers, Disney keep a notoriously tight hold on their IPs, Japanese companies generally don't give a poo poo, KOEI actually recruit independent costume makers to work for them at conventions, etc)

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Somehow missed this on the "greatest gamer site" campaign:

quote:

Staying connected | We want users to be able to connect any of their accounts, (examples: Steam, XBL, PSN, Twitch) to show off achievements you already have, ones you'll get in the future, games owned, time played, etc.

I'm not sure how easy it is to that, but I assume that XBL and PSN info will require some sort of agreement for official support.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

to show off achievements you already have, ones you'll get in the future
So wait, the site can see the future and knows which achievements you will earn?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Noni posted:

You can use EXP to buy EXP? :confused:

This guy is already posting as if he's making EXP for every dumb word he says.

I'm really hoping you can set up some sort of EXP feedback loop by buying more EXP than you spend. Let's see you try to fix that one, buddy!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

tlarn posted:

Back in 2010, a dude named Laszlo Hanyecz sent someone 10,000 Bitcoins to get him a couple pizzas and to take a picture of it. Back then, a Bitcoin was worth a few pennies each. The other person still spent actual money to buy the pizzas.

My only guess is it's just to keep track of how much that one pizza has grown in internet-money worth.

Something like $2.3m in today's $.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Kaethela posted:

I'm really hoping you can set up some sort of EXP feedback loop by buying more EXP than you spend. Let's see you try to fix that one, buddy!

Don't worry, there are "safeguards" that will stop you.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Crain posted:

Don't worry, there are "safeguards" that will stop you.

He talks about an "Algorithm™" that will keep people from spamming to grind EXP. He just can't give it away (why not just say that there's no loving way, a post has to be a certain length.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crain posted:

Somehow missed this on the "greatest gamer site" campaign:

I'm not sure how easy it is to that, but I assume that XBL and PSN info will require some sort of agreement for official support.

I actually don't think you can since Giantbomb.com used to have people do the whole achievement sharing thing but Sony/Microsoft changed how you can check that stuff that made it impossible (or at least really hard to do.)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
There are a bunch of websites that allow you to monitor Xbox 360 achievements. I don't know if any exist for the PS3's system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Install Gentoo posted:

There are a bunch of websites that allow you to monitor Xbox 360 achievements. I don't know if any exist for the PS3's system.

Yeah, there's a few. Raptr, Playfire, Yourgamercards. They don't work as well as 360 ones because they have to scrape the data in increasingly dodgy ways, but they're around.

e: Mega64 did a pretty good send-up of video game Kickstarters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-QYqet8Sok

kirbysuperstar has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

batphantom
Mar 24, 2001

Okay, this iOgrapher is a clear candidate for a kickjacking. When you look at the Daily chart on Kicktraq you see there's one day late in the campaign with two backers adding a whopping $7557. Previous to that, his best day added 27 backers and $1435, a much more reasonable amount given the amount of press he likely had that day. Without the angel investors, this was headed for failure. The question is, did he put himself over the top with a fake account just to get the other half he wouldn't have received had the project failed? If you look at his backer list there's several people with brand new accounts who have never supported a project before. Just doesn't pass the smell test.