Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Sorta. Carat is actually a unit of weight like grams or pounds.

Moissanite is less dense than diamond, but that just means that two identical stones of two different materials will have the same millimeter sizes but different weights.

A 6.5mm ideal cut round would weigh:
1.00 carats in Diamond
0.87 carats in Moissanite

So just go with the proper millimeter size for your mounting and you'll be A-OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I was planning on getting my setting from Brilliant Earth... until they told me they only sell rings as a total unit, and won't sell me a setting unless it comes sized appropriately to one of their diamonds. Don't want a diamond, so that's out, but I'm really heartbroken about losing the setting. Can anyone recommend a similar retailer (Canadian preferred, but American is fine as well, just a bit more of a headache), where I could actually purchase the metal + the shoulder stones premounted and the center mount sized for my moissanite, or a place I could purchase an entirely empty setting of the right shape and size and just source my own sapphires? At this point I'm contemplating just finding a setting I like in a good metal, ripping out all the stones and having them replaced, and saying gently caress this all together.

Mint Julep
Jan 3, 2009
Johnny, are you going to reopen your Gem Direct goon-store, or has that been scrapped for the time being? Just curious.

Mint Julep
Jan 3, 2009

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I was planning on getting my setting from Brilliant Earth... until they told me they only sell rings as a total unit, and won't sell me a setting unless it comes sized appropriately to one of their diamonds. Don't want a diamond, so that's out, but I'm really heartbroken about losing the setting. Can anyone recommend a similar retailer (Canadian preferred, but American is fine as well, just a bit more of a headache), where I could actually purchase the metal + the shoulder stones premounted and the center mount sized for my moissanite, or a place I could purchase an entirely empty setting of the right shape and size and just source my own sapphires? At this point I'm contemplating just finding a setting I like in a good metal, ripping out all the stones and having them replaced, and saying gently caress this all together.

Grrl Anachronism, are there any local jewelers that would do custom work in your area? I went to a local jeweler in my town because I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted. They're designing a ring based off elements of settings I like and will give me a choice of sapphires prior to designing the ring/also told me that I could bring in my own stone.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Mint Julep posted:

Grrl Anachronism, are there any local jewelers that would do custom work in your area? I went to a local jeweler in my town because I wasn't finding exactly what I wanted. They're designing a ring based off elements of settings I like and will give me a choice of sapphires prior to designing the ring/also told me that I could bring in my own stone.

I'm sure there are, I live in a relatively large city. That may be my only option. Well, at least that way I'd get to pick my own sapphires too! I like the purply ones best. :3:

Mint Julep
Jan 3, 2009

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I'm sure there are, I live in a relatively large city. That may be my only option. Well, at least that way I'd get to pick my own sapphires too! I like the purply ones best. :3:

I'll reserve full judgment until I get the finished product, but so far it's been a great experience for me :)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Turns out this thing isn't gold. Still not sure why it has a big toggle clipped onto it, either. I guess I'll add some embroidery floss to make it into one of those friendship bracelets built around a chain, like these:

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Mint Julep posted:

Johnny, are you going to reopen your Gem Direct goon-store, or has that been scrapped for the time being? Just curious.

I had planned to launch it again with new inventory, but I've just been too busy. I had hoped to do some big special thing for all the goons this year and may still if I can find the time.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

JohnnyRnR posted:

I had planned to launch it again with new inventory, but I've just been too busy. I had hoped to do some big special thing for all the goons this year and may still if I can find the time.

I am planning a bunch of summer jewellery for sale on the SA store, so I will most likely be looking to buy some new gemstones if you do decide to do this :D

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JohnnyRnR posted:

Seriously can't wait to see what emerges - started following this thread right after the old one closed. Thanks, Johnny!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I am planning a bunch of summer jewellery for sale on the SA store, so I will most likely be looking to buy some new gemstones if you do decide to do this :D

Nooooo Claes, we had something going. :(

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Nooooo Claes, we had something going. :(

Well not just him! Don't worry, I will most likely be needing gems from many sources. You will soon see what I did with your stones as well!

Infinite Might
Mar 14, 2007

Your feeble skills are no match for the power of Bob Dole!

Grrl Anachronism posted:

I was going to go moissanite then decided it would be a pain in the rear end if I can't see it before I buy. I ended up going to a goldsmith who ordered a ton of sapphires for me to pick from and we ended up designing my ring based off of my favorite settings. In the end, I had saved up enough with my fiance to get platinum which was totally worth the wait. It was a really good experience and on top of that my ring is one of a kind and hand made. We spent a lot of time with the staff designing the ring and talking about our hobbies, relationship, and style that a whole year later when I came back for a polish [I'm a procrastinator], they remembered both of us by name.

It's well worth the wait and the extra money.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Around the time I decided that my girlfriend is the one for me, she sent me a link to an etsy listing for a ring that she really liked. Foolishly, I didn't jump on it and now it's sold.

Here are some pictures of the ring in question:

She likes the sapphire in the middle, and the ornate border with the diamonds. It's apparently designed by a guy named Michael Christoff; the etsy listing said he is "a well known jewelry designer in Beverly Hills". Googling indicates that he's probably not quite as well known as etsy would lead one to believe?

What sort of vocabulary should I be using to describe this ring to jewelers if I want to design one in a similar style? Or would it be easier to just show them the pictures and say "I want something like this; what do you have or can make?"

The price on Etsy was $2400, with 3.5 grams of 14KT white gold, a 2.22 ct sapphire, and 52 eye clean diamonds with a combined carat weight of .39. If my ring budget is ~$3200, is it reasonable to try and have a similar ring commissioned, or should I start prowling vintage jewelry shops and hope I'm lucky?

JohnnyRnR, I commissioned a necklace from you a couple years ago (the three tourmalines set in a vertical line, if that rings a bell) which was altogether an utterly positive experience so if you feel like it's a project you're interested in, let me know and I'll send you an email. The budget has some flex, so $3200 isn't a hard cap.

Aryn Coltzien
Jun 5, 2011

That is a stunning ring. I'm normally not a big fan of diamonds, but the sapphire is such a breathtaking centerpiece that they don't bother me. I wish you all the luck in acquiring a similar ring!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Coca Koala posted:

Around the time I decided that my girlfriend is the one for me, she sent me a link to an etsy listing for a ring that she really liked. Foolishly, I didn't jump on it and now it's sold.

Here are some pictures of the ring in question:

She likes the sapphire in the middle, and the ornate border with the diamonds. It's apparently designed by a guy named Michael Christoff; the etsy listing said he is "a well known jewelry designer in Beverly Hills". Googling indicates that he's probably not quite as well known as etsy would lead one to believe?

What sort of vocabulary should I be using to describe this ring to jewelers if I want to design one in a similar style? Or would it be easier to just show them the pictures and say "I want something like this; what do you have or can make?"

The price on Etsy was $2400, with 3.5 grams of 14KT white gold, a 2.22 ct sapphire, and 52 eye clean diamonds with a combined carat weight of .39. If my ring budget is ~$3200, is it reasonable to try and have a similar ring commissioned, or should I start prowling vintage jewelry shops and hope I'm lucky?

JohnnyRnR, I commissioned a necklace from you a couple years ago (the three tourmalines set in a vertical line, if that rings a bell) which was altogether an utterly positive experience so if you feel like it's a project you're interested in, let me know and I'll send you an email. The budget has some flex, so $3200 isn't a hard cap.

I love the style of this ring and I am going to take a crack at remaking it for fun. I'll post pictures in here after of the renders and if it's what you want we can talk about it and if it's not then oh well I have it for myself! :)

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

I love the style of this ring and I am going to take a crack at remaking it for fun. I'll post pictures in here after of the renders and if it's what you want we can talk about it and if it's not then oh well I have it for myself! :)

Sure! I still want to give Johnny right of first refusal on the project, but if he's not interested then I'd definitely like to see what you come up with! I've done some searching and I think I found a similarly-styled right that the girl might enjoy; I'm running the pictures by her right now and if they meet with her approval then I'll post them for your added inspiration.

Edit: She likes this one too; like I said, it's a similar style. She prefers the first ring more, especially with regards to the sapphire itself; she really likes the deep dark colour of the first sapphire, as opposed to the lighter tone of the second one.

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 9, 2013

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I want to get a ring made and I really like the look of tension settings, but I'm not sure they would be good for everyday use? I'm hoping for something made of steel or titanium and the internet has given me varying answers from "yeah it's perfectly safe" to "no tension settings suck". What do you guys think?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Coca Koala posted:

Edit: She likes this one too; like I said, it's a similar style. She prefers the first ring more, especially with regards to the sapphire itself; she really likes the deep dark colour of the first sapphire, as opposed to the lighter tone of the second one.

Some of that might be lighting. The first one is pretty minimally lit compared to the latter's more even top lighting. You can really see this in the exposure value of the metal.

</photographychat>

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Coca Koala posted:

Sure! I still want to give Johnny right of first refusal on the project, but if he's not interested then I'd definitely like to see what you come up with! I've done some searching and I think I found a similarly-styled right that the girl might enjoy; I'm running the pictures by her right now and if they meet with her approval then I'll post them for your added inspiration.

That makes total sense, and Johnny gets first dibs on pretty much all projects :) I'll pretty much be able to recreate the first ring, but added inspiration is always good!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Coca Koala posted:

If my ring budget is ~$3200, is it reasonable to try and have a similar ring commissioned, or should I start prowling vintage jewelry shops and hope I'm lucky?

You can definitely have a similar ring made within your budget. Sadly, I am a little swamped right now and won't be able to give you the attention you'll need. Claes Oldenburger is a solid guy and if the timing works out he could make you a great piece.

Xun posted:

I want to get a ring made and I really like the look of tension settings, but I'm not sure they would be good for everyday use? I'm hoping for something made of steel or titanium and the internet has given me varying answers from "yeah it's perfectly safe" to "no tension settings suck". What do you guys think?

Honestly? I hate them. They're usually temperamental and clunky. Poorly made tension mounts can damage the gemstones. BUT, if you're using a less dense metal like steel/titanium and gems that aren't very expensive you should be A-ok.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

That makes total sense, and Johnny gets first dibs on pretty much all projects :) I'll pretty much be able to recreate the first ring, but added inspiration is always good!

JohnnyRnR posted:

You can definitely have a similar ring made within your budget. Sadly, I am a little swamped right now and won't be able to give you the attention you'll need. Claes Oldenburger is a solid guy and if the timing works out he could make you a great piece.

Good to know my budget is in good shape, then. Claes, what's a good way to get in touch with you about commissioning a ring?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

JohnnyRnR posted:

Thanks for the kind words Johnny! It means a lot coming from someone with your experience.

Coca Koala posted:

Good to know my budget is in good shape, then. Claes, what's a good way to get in touch with you about commissioning a ring?

Feel free to PM me on here or send me an email at trevor AT viponddesigns.com :) I can start working on the design ASAP and we can go from there!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Email sent! You can probably ignore the part where I ask you for examples of your previous work; immediately after I sent it I found your website and looked through your portfolio. It looks like some nice stuff!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Coca Koala posted:

Email sent! You can probably ignore the part where I ask you for examples of your previous work; immediately after I sent it I found your website and looked through your portfolio. It looks like some nice stuff!

Sounds great, got it!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
So I'm helping a friend sort through years of boxed up crap in preparation for his move, and included was a big box filled with jewelry. He doesn't know anything about it other than it was with his mom's personal effects when she passed. It looks like a lot of costume and (likely cheap) Avon branded stuff, old lady pendants, a few pieces marked 10k or 14k and one bulova watch.

He doesn't think there are any treasures in there, his mom would have sold them during some tough times if so. All of the earrings are clip ons.

I picked out like 3 pieces that I like the look of, but the rest not sure about. Is it even worth checking prices on any of this? He doesn't need the money and doesn't really want to deal with it, there's no sentimental attachment either.

Currently thought is to set it aside to become an awesome jewelry treasure chest (minus the stick pins) for a friends daughter once she's like 6-7. I would have loved the poo poo out of that when I was wee.

Thoughts? Can get a close up of anything.

http://campl.us/cH8ybzBIQkS

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Do you have any pictures of a band with a flower petal-shaped setting for several stones? We saw one once, and can't find a picture of the one we liked, and thought you might have some suggestions for really attractive ones.

Are they ideal for someone who works with kids all day?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Has anybody ever heard of or seen a pure stone ring?
That is like one of those pure metal stoneless rings only with stone instead of metal.
I am thinking about trying to get one of these.
I know people who could probably make one out of industrial grade sapphire, but I am not sure how that would actually look.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've seen rings made out of hematite. They're pretty fragile though. After you wear them for a while, one good smack of your hand against a hard surface and they shatter. They're pretty cheap though.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

tonberrytoby posted:

That is like one of those pure metal stoneless rings only with stone instead of metal.
I am thinking about trying to get one of these.
I know people who could probably make one out of industrial grade sapphire, but I am not sure how that would actually look.

Some company in Geneva (I think) made or is making a ring out of a single flawless diamond. The issue with making a ring out of such a large stone is cleavage planes, planes that exist within the molecular structure of the gems that are a huge weakness. If a gemstone gets hit with enough force (it usually isn't that much) on one of these planes it splits the whole thing, and diamond is not exempt from that. Some stones have more and some have less but I think that's one of the major reasons you don't see rings made from gemstones (as well as the insane cost). This might not be one of the main reasons why they don't but it makes sense to me!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

EVG posted:

So I'm helping a friend sort through years of boxed up crap in preparation for his move, and included was a big box filled with jewelry. He doesn't know anything about it other than it was with his mom's personal effects when she passed. It looks like a lot of costume and (likely cheap) Avon branded stuff, old lady pendants, a few pieces marked 10k or 14k and one bulova watch.

I would cull out the 10k & 14k and sell them. There can be a surprising amount of money tied up in a handful of 14k necklaces. The rest of the items I'd make into a treasure chest - That sounds like a lot of fun.

tonberrytoby posted:

They're really cool... but they can be easy to damage when made of gem materials (even synthetic). The only stone I would ever use for these would be jade. And even then, you might break it every couples years if you aren't careful.

Just google for "solid jade ring" and you'll find some suppliers that make them. In gem quality they're outrageously expensive, but there are identical pieces available in treated jade. If a piece costs less than $1,000 then it's either dyed or polymer filled (to enhance the clarity), but for this use I would seek out treated material.

JohnnyRnR fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 20, 2013

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

JohnnyRnR posted:

They're really cool... but they can be easy to damage when made of gem materials (even synthetic). The only stone I would ever use for these would be jade. And even then, you might break it every couples years if you aren't careful.

Just google for "solid jade ring" and you'll find some suppliers that make them. In gem quality they're outrageously expensive, but there are identical pieces available in treated jade. If a piece costs less than $1,000 then it's either dyed or polymer filled (to enhance the clarity), but for this use I would seek out treated material.

My mom has a solid jade ring that's about 30 years old (I would assume polymer filled unless the economics of the material were extremely different back then). It held up to well to near daily wear for a couple of years at least, but eventually another problem with solid gem rings cropped up: it can't be re-sized.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Pinky Artichoke posted:

My mom has a solid jade ring that's about 30 years old (I would assume polymer filled unless the economics of the material were extremely different back then). It held up to well to near daily wear for a couple of years at least, but eventually another problem with solid gem rings cropped up: it can't be re-sized.

One thing I've done in the past is cut these into three equal pieces. Then two are made into earrings and one is made into a saddle ring.

A 30 year old piece of jade is likely not polymer filled (Though it could be dyed). If it's untreated nephrite then it wouldn't be worth too much (a few hunded USD), but if it's natural untreated jadeite of fine quality then it's worth a fortune. The economics have greatly changed since the 1970's. :)

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

JohnnyRnR posted:

One thing I've done in the past is cut these into three equal pieces. Then two are made into earrings and one is made into a saddle ring.

A 30 year old piece of jade is likely not polymer filled (Though it could be dyed). If it's untreated nephrite then it wouldn't be worth too much (a few hunded USD), but if it's natural untreated jadeite of fine quality then it's worth a fortune. The economics have greatly changed since the 1970's. :)

Huh! I'll have to let her know. She doesn't exactly live in an area where she'd be exposed to current jade prices.

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you
I have a handful of solid jade bangles from Vietnam (they are dyed) and they are very pretty and have a nice weight to them; they are not quite as flashy as your idea of a solid diamond ring though.
Coincidentally,I am actually bringing one of them to a lapidary I know today to see if he thinks he can shave down the inside for me, as it is a bit small.

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Zratha posted:

I have a handful of solid jade bangles from Vietnam (they are dyed) and they are very pretty and have a nice weight to them; they are not quite as flashy as your idea of a solid diamond ring though.
Coincidentally,I am actually bringing one of them to a lapidary I know today to see if he thinks he can shave down the inside for me, as it is a bit small.

Can it not fit around your wrist, or is it just a matter of getting it past your hand?

My mother bought gave me a jade bracelet that used to be a solid loop, but was clearly broken and fixed by the jeweler. He took the breaks and made them into clasp on one and a hinge on the other. It's very pretty and great for my enormous hands, else I'd never be able to wear a jade bracelet, and while I think the bracelet was probably gorgeous before the break, the gold bits give it a little something.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

EVG posted:

It looks like a lot of costume and (likely cheap) Avon branded stuff, old lady pendants,
Costume jewelry from the right brands can be highly collectible. Ditto Avon. Check the brand marks: among the good names are Trifari, Miriam Haskell, Monet, and any name designer. You need to get the costume stuff valued; you can probably see what equivalent stuff is going for on Ebay as a general guide.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Why is it seemingly impossible to find a consistent UK - USA ring size conversion chart? I'm a UK size H and from looking at numerous different websites I'm being given anything from 3 3/4 to 4 1/2. We're looking at a custom made titanium ring so I really don't want to mess up the sizing. :(

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
The easiest way to get it correct is to buy one of these and send it to the person making your ring. :) That way you're guaranteed to be working from the same measuring stick.

http://www.amazon.com/Multisizer-Ec...ords=ring+sizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.

Red posted:

Do you have any pictures of a band with a flower petal-shaped setting for several stones? We saw one once, and can't find a picture of the one we liked, and thought you might have some suggestions for really attractive ones.

Are they ideal for someone who works with kids all day?

I've actually just had my wedding ring custom-made, and it's much as you describe! I'll try to get a decent photo later to show you. Ring photography isn't easy.

• Locked thread