Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Action Yak Police posted:

Awesome, thank you! I'll definitely pick some of that up.

If the wound appears to be healing, I'd leave it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Yes, let it heal on its own if it looks like everything's going fine. If you want to do something to make yourself feel better about it, giving it a rinse with sterilized(boiled and cooled) saline water wouldn't hurt.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
I didnt see anything on the first post, but can anyone recommend a good place to buy crickets online?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

S Danger K posted:

I didnt see anything on the first post, but can anyone recommend a good place to buy crickets online?

I have friends that order from Ghann's Cricket Farm and I've never heard them say anything bad about them.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Desert Bus posted:

So my friend has a male Red Eared Slider. She is wondering if it would be a bad thing to have Malaysian Trumpet Snails in the tank as a clean up crew. Would the turtle try to eat them and become impacted or something?

Anyone got an answer to this?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Desert Bus posted:

Anyone got an answer to this?

I don't know for sure, but if it's a healthy turtle, an occasional snail souldn't hurt.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Big Centipede posted:

I don't know for sure, but if it's a healthy turtle, an occasional snail souldn't hurt.

MTS only get to about 1/2-3/4", and have extremely solid cone shaped shells. You can't feed them to puffers, for example.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Desert Bus posted:

MTS only get to about 1/2-3/4", and have extremely solid cone shaped shells. You can't feed them to puffers, for example.

In that case I wouldn't risk it.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Yeah it takes a solid smack with a hammer to crack one of those things. I wouldn't give them to much outside of a hyena or one of those club-footed mantis shrimp as treats.

Quick edit: you could feed it the little black pond snails that swarm in aquariums, their shells are thick enough to give a satisfying crunch but thin enough to not worry about causing a blockage.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 8, 2013

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'd worry about parasites with snails. Snails carry so many parasites. I was trying to preserve a snail for an entomology class and as it was in the ethanol, tons of nematodes just started booking it out of the snail as it was dying. I haven't looked at snails the same, since, and I certainly wouldn't feed them to anything.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

OneTwentySix posted:

I'd worry about parasites with snails. Snails carry so many parasites. I was trying to preserve a snail for an entomology class and as it was in the ethanol, tons of nematodes just started booking it out of the snail as it was dying. I haven't looked at snails the same, since, and I certainly wouldn't feed them to anything.

Ugh... I've eaten escargot before.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
My guy's finally gonna be arriving on Wednesday. Ugh, I'm so impatient, I can barely wait! Bought him from a breeder.

He's 3 months old, so I guess I'll be stuck dealing with crickets for awhile. How old does he have to be before I can feed him roaches? I don't think I could really breed them, but the pet store around here sells them.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

OneTwentySix posted:

We talked about culturing snails when I was working at the zoo, in order to feed the caiman lizards, and the curator was more against it for human safety than anything.

That said, I've watched my T. granulosa eat snails for years, and they're fine.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
"human safety" do you mean because of all the bacteria that can cause fevers in humans?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

cubivore posted:

My guy's finally gonna be arriving on Wednesday. Ugh, I'm so impatient, I can barely wait! Bought him from a breeder.

He's 3 months old, so I guess I'll be stuck dealing with crickets for awhile. How old does he have to be before I can feed him roaches? I don't think I could really breed them, but the pet store around here sells them.

Dubia roaches are incredibly easy to breed and they will eat table scraps for the most part, fruit that is starting to go, most veggies, breads...

You're going to be stuck feeding him some type in insect in some amount his whole life. Honestly if you're complaining about it that much already you probably shouldn't have got a beardie. There are lizards out there that don't need to eat insects.

You can start feeding them roaches whenever, you just feed them the nymphs when they are small.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine

Greycious posted:

Dubia roaches are incredibly easy to breed and they will eat table scraps for the most part, fruit that is starting to go, most veggies, breads...

You're going to be stuck feeding him some type in insect in some amount his whole life. Honestly if you're complaining about it that much already you probably shouldn't have got a beardie. There are lizards out there that don't need to eat insects.

You can start feeding them roaches whenever, you just feed them the nymphs when they are small.

I personally wouldn't mind breeding roaches, my family wouldn't be happy with it though. So, it's kind of not possible.

That's great that I can feed him roach nymphs, though. I just hate crickets.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

unprofessional posted:

We talked about culturing snails when I was working at the zoo, in order to feed the caiman lizards, and the curator was more against it for human safety than anything.

That said, I've watched my T. granulosa eat snails for years, and they're fine.

Wild animals are full of parasites too, and they're fine, but I don't like feeding food full of parasites when I can avoid it. Healthy animals tolerate parasites pretty well, but I think that a lot of unexplained deaths happen when an animal gets stressed and then their parasite load is too much for them to handle, though this is more an issue with touchier frogs rather than fairly robust newts.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Sonny Boy, my bearded dragon, has discovered that if he sits in front of his food bowl and waits, eventually he will be fed. Of course, he also thinks the vacuum is some sort of massive insect and keeps trying catch and eat it whenever it comes near his cage.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Sonny Boy, my bearded dragon, has discovered that if he sits in front of his food bowl and waits, eventually he will be fed. Of course, he also thinks the vacuum is some sort of massive insect and keeps trying catch and eat it whenever it comes near his cage.

Meanwhile my second bearded dragon is stubborn and will eat one or two crickets and a bit of strawberry and nothing more, no matter what I do (no black beard=no stress, yes?). The jerk.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Does anyone here have experience with Red mountain ratsnakes? (O. porphyracea coxi in particular)

I've been considering a pair for some time...the only thing I'm concerned about is temperament. I don't handle my snakes a whole lot, but I also don't want to get bit just from moving them around, and consider being able to pick them up without getting bit every time very important.

The only experience I have with asian ratsnakes is from my two rhino ratsnakes (the female is unfortunately no longer with me :( she passed away last year). While I am sometimes careful with them because they are insanely curious and aware of EVERYTHING around them. (Something moved! What was it! Whip head around and look/smell!) they have never bit me and have always been extremely pleasurable to handle because of their curious nature and lack of ever biting...

I don't mind working with hatchlings that are a little spazzy, I expect them to be when I first get them. I just want to know if they will chill out or not as they grow.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Greycious posted:

Does anyone here have experience with Red mountain ratsnakes? (O. porphyracea coxi in particular)

I've been considering a pair for some time...the only thing I'm concerned about is temperament. I don't handle my snakes a whole lot, but I also don't want to get bit just from moving them around, and consider being able to pick them up without getting bit every time very important.

The only experience I have with asian ratsnakes is from my two rhino ratsnakes (the female is unfortunately no longer with me :( she passed away last year). While I am sometimes careful with them because they are insanely curious and aware of EVERYTHING around them. (Something moved! What was it! Whip head around and look/smell!) they have never bit me and have always been extremely pleasurable to handle because of their curious nature and lack of ever biting...

I don't mind working with hatchlings that are a little spazzy, I expect them to be when I first get them. I just want to know if they will chill out or not as they grow.

They're not too bad by ratsnake standards. They're fairly shy in my experience, but not bitey.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm going to be getting some red-sided garter babies today but I am kind of pissed off at the shipper. After they shipped they told me they had fed the snakes earlier the same day. :geno: I'd be tempted to make a BOI post on fauna if they do end up covered in vomit once they get here, but fauna takes poo poo way too seriously and there's pitchforks and fire every time a vaguely bad criticism is posted.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Pew! Pew! posted:

I'm going to be getting some red-sided garter babies today but I am kind of pissed off at the shipper. After they shipped they told me they had fed the snakes earlier the same day. :geno: I'd be tempted to make a BOI post on fauna if they do end up covered in vomit once they get here, but fauna takes poo poo way too seriously and there's pitchforks and fire every time a vaguely bad criticism is posted.

While it is pretty stupid of them to do, it really doesn't warrant a BOI post...Those things are pretty serious business. A snake puking up food in transit is not really enough reason to call someone out as a horrible person/lovely breeder/scammer what have you.

I would just express to the seller how that wasn't the best idea or that you would have preferred them shipped on an empty stomach.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Pew! Pew! posted:

Don't be surprised if they arrive covered in poo poo. Garters seem to poo poo 30x a week and being shipped will probably make them unload all over themselves.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

The shipping was worse than anticipated! By that I mean I don't have my package, and someone else signed off on it who isn't me! :smithicide: loving hell, I'm panicking pretty bad and it's been nearly two hours since it was labeled as delivered. Those poor snakes.

e: I'm contacting the shipping company and calling around and harassing my neighbors, I seriously hope the snakes are going to be okay...

Doubleedit: Fedex did indeed deliver to the wrong address. They're picking it up and bringing it here. Crossing my fingers that the snakes weren't harmed by someone being surprised by them or something...

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 9, 2013

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Pew! Pew! posted:

Doubleedit: Fedex did indeed deliver to the wrong address. They're picking it up and bringing it here. Crossing my fingers that the snakes weren't harmed by someone being surprised by them or something...

Wow that is pretty hosed. Did the package say "Live harmless reptiles" on it, like it is suppose to? Who the hell would accept that if they weren't expecting a shipment of reptiles. :psyduck:

Also, pretty sure I'm going to get the coxi pair. I'm super excited...even though I was not to get anymore reptiles until after my own hatchling arrives :haw: I can't resist these things, not at this price.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Alright so I got the snakes, and the package has "live animals" on it. Turns out it went to an apartment/leasing office that signs for packages automatically. Also turned out? The leasing office is about a 30 minute walk from where I live, so I called them up to confirm the location and picked up the snakes. The managers were both super nice and wanted to look at the little guys too, because they were concerned with how the box was taped up, thinking the snakes might not have been able to breathe. They awww'd over them when I took a look at them.
Snakes are settling in. They are MAD but they are both alive and well. I can finally relax a little bit.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

cubivore posted:

Going from the SH/SC jobs thread to this one is a little bit jarring. For a moment there, I thought you were talking about hiring a new employee and was very, very confused (and not a little bit creeped out by the word 'breeder'.)

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Bobbaganoosh and I are going be be embarking on a rubber boa breeding bonanza soon...

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...
Too cool on the coxi, Greycious. Keep us posted on how those are. I've been eyeing them for years.

Big Centipede posted:

Bobbaganoosh and I are going be be embarking on a rubber boa breeding bonanza soon...

Can't wait! Thursday can't arrive fast enough.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Bobbaganoosh posted:

Too cool on the coxi, Greycious. Keep us posted on how those are. I've been eyeing them for years.

Can't wait! Thursday can't arrive fast enough.

No kidding. I'm really excited to breed lil cute baby turd snakes!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Sheesh, I keep forgetting how fast snakes grow.

Here's my male corn snake when I first got him 6-ish months ago:

(for size reference he's about 7-8 inches long and not even pencil-thick)

And here's what he looks like today:

He has also calmed down considerably. I was worried he might be aggressive his whole life but the breeder was totally spot-on when he said that corns calm down over time. The snake's in shed right now and didn't even mind me plucking him up to check on him.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Theo was out being pretty last night so I took some shots of him. Elenor was hiding so none of her; I hope they start courting soon! They were calling a few nights ago.

I also just picked up a pair of blue headed green juvenile tokays; I want to worm them and get them all fattened up before I take pics.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I feed my frogs wingless fruit flies, and yesterday, I noticed there was a lot of flies hiding in the cages. So I put a slice of banana on a dish to coax them out... the frogs figured it out pretty quick

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Yeah, Dart frogs figure poo poo out pretty fast for how tiny their brains are. I just wish they would learn that "Inside Habitat = Good, Outside Habitat = Holy poo poo Bad!" in a non-Darwinian way.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Guys, I'm a bit worried about my baby beardie. He was shipped without a heat pack and it was in the low-50s (the weather was fine when the shipper shipped him, but there was a sudden cold snap). He's been very lethargic, hasn't moved much. He's eaten and drank a little bit, is he okay?

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

cubivore posted:

Guys, I'm a bit worried about my baby beardie. He was shipped without a heat pack and it was in the low-50s (the weather was fine when the shipper shipped him, but there was a sudden cold snap). He's been very lethargic, hasn't moved much. He's eaten and drank a little bit, is he okay?

Give him a basking site of 100 degrees and give him some time to recover. It'll probably be fine. Keep an eye out for signs of respiratory infection though just to be safe.

cubivore
Nov 30, 2006

fuck you, got mine
Yeah, his basking spot is at 107 degrees, is that okay?

And I brought him out into the sun, and poo poo! There's little red dots on him, I think they're mites. gently caress! Time to tell the breeder... and I thought they were good, too. :(

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

cubivore posted:

Yeah, his basking spot is at 107 degrees, is that okay?

And I brought him out into the sun, and poo poo! There's little red dots on him, I think they're mites. gently caress! Time to tell the breeder... and I thought they were good, too. :(

That sucks, but mites are not the end of the world. Your little beardie will probably be fine if you treat him and give it some extra TLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

So like two days after I ordered my coxi, one of my male leachies had a hemipene prolapse that wouldn't go back in.

He was brought to the vets Saturday and hopefully after a $360+ surgery I can pick him up tomorrow. He's one of our favorite geckos too :( I admit I broke down bawling after several failed attempts to get it back in. (Pregnancy hormones probably didn't help any there)

I opted to just have it amputated since it looked incredibly swollen and I just couldn't imagine them placing it in with stitches and it being able to stay put...didn't want to risk him getting sedated twice if it popped out again shortly after.

I would have held off on the coxi if I had known! Alas...At least they will hopefully cheer me up some. And the other critter I got along with them my SO doesn't know about yet :ssh:

• Locked thread