Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo has the resources and the ability to have releases every week, complete with someone from Nintendo doing a review video of the games that are released under a "Nintendo Power" title where they convince you to buy the game.

They could but they won't because Nintendo has lost its mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

e: I would poo poo pure happiness if Nintendo bought the rights to RBI Baseball and released a new version.

That would be Namco's Family Stadium series. They're still making them; the most recent one was for the 3DS.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Random Stranger posted:

That would be Namco's Family Stadium series. They're still making them; the most recent one was for the 3DS.

Then they need to release a US version. To whom do I write a strongly worded letter?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Toady posted:

They could but they won't because Nintendo has lost its mind.

Nintendo has always been crazy. Isn't that why we love them?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

ultimateluigi987 posted:

Browsed the last few pages looking to see if anyone posted this, but so far no one has.

Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition is on sale for $20 at Best Buy, both in-store and on their website! I'm assuming this goes on until the end of the week.

Is it worth picking up?

It might be a bad port, but its still a great game. If dont have another console or PC that can play it, go for it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo has always been crazy. Isn't that why we love them?

This isn't the good kind of crazy, that fuels games like Wario Ware and Super Smash Bros. This is the 'making you buy all your poo poo again because they didn't bother with a proper account system last time' kind of crazy.

It took years for some of Nintendo's best games to come out on the Wii VC, so I'm not looking forward to starting that all over again.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Artix posted:

Both MLB The Show and MLB 2K13 released back in March.

I have no interest in Baseball but I adore MLB 2K13 because it's the only sports series which gets released in the same year it's named after. Hell, EA released Tiger Woods 14 last month.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Katana Gomai posted:

I have no interest in Baseball but I adore MLB 2K13 because it's the only sports series which gets released in the same year it's named after. Hell, EA released Tiger Woods 14 last month.

Sports games are named for the year in which their championships are awarded. Baseball is in October, football and basketball seasons both run into the following year.

Edit: Typically, anyway. Not sure when golf and NASCAR start and stop, but I'd argue that those aren't sports :smugdog:.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 10, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

That loving Sned posted:

This is the 'making you buy all your poo poo again because they didn't bother with a proper account system last time' kind of crazy.

That's not the reason people with Wii virtual console games have to pay to get the Wii U versions of virtual console games. The Wii U recognises your purchases just fine once you've transferred them over. The reason is shittyness. The Vita gives you new features for your PSP and PSOne games that were purchased on PSP and doesn't charge you a thing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I keep getting disconnected from network mode while playing Monster Hunter, it usually happens about 20 minutes in to me joining a lobby. Previously the Wii U refused to download updates while it was in a different room to the router, so I moved it in to the room with the router and it updated fine, but it's still dropping me from monster hunter. I went and input all the details like IP and DNS manually cause googling it informed me that would make it better. It didn't really. I also put the Wii U in my router's DMZ, and that hasn't helped either.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go and buy an ethernet to USB adaptor, is that likely to remedy my problem?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I keep getting disconnected from network mode while playing Monster Hunter, it usually happens about 20 minutes in to me joining a lobby. Previously the Wii U refused to download updates while it was in a different room to the router, so I moved it in to the room with the router and it updated fine, but it's still dropping me from monster hunter. I went and input all the details like IP and DNS manually cause googling it informed me that would make it better. It didn't really. I also put the Wii U in my router's DMZ, and that hasn't helped either.

Tomorrow I'm gonna go and buy an ethernet to USB adaptor, is that likely to remedy my problem?

No. From what I've read those adaptors are incredibly slow (at least comparatively to wireless or a regular ethernet port), it should be faster over Wi-Fi.

I don't know much about wireless networking, but your router could be on a band with a lot of interference. I would try loving with or changing out your router, because that's more likely the culprit than the Wii U, and you probably don't want to be on a wired connection.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That's not the reason people with Wii virtual console games have to pay to get the Wii U versions of virtual console games. The Wii U recognises your purchases just fine once you've transferred them over. The reason is shittyness. The Vita gives you new features for your PSP and PSOne games that were purchased on PSP and doesn't charge you a thing.

On the other hand the PS4 seems like it won't recognize any of your old PS3 games at all so let's not forget it can go both ways

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand the PS4 seems like it won't recognize any of your old PS3 games at all so let's not forget it can go both ways

I think they will once they become available on the new Store. I bet those won't ask for an upgrade fee either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I think they will once they become available on the new Store. I bet those won't ask for an upgrade fee either.

From what has been put out, it's a case of more the PS4 literally not being able to do it because the Cell is a pile of butts and the only option they'd have is streaming the games with their Online-alike. So I wouldn't hold out hope for it being that simple a fix.

The next generation is shaping up to be a "pick your poison" kind of situation. I wouldn't point to Sony (or Microsoft, if the Always On rumors pan out) as being the guys not making stupid decisions. It's going to be a case of which stupid decisions you hate the least.

Not that I'm defending Nintendo's poo poo, just pointing out that this isn't a case where it's cut and dry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 10, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's the same reason why Nintendo gave early adopters 20 free games for the 3DS, despite the fact these stunts do take time and effort: the system's not selling and they need to cram as much value-add as possible and make transitioning to it as painless and attractive as possible.

I can't recall precedent for these kinds of stunts before. It's hard enough to get iOS/android developers to make a tablet-optimized and phone-optimized version, when the biggest difference is the resolution and maybe different peripherals.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Chronojam posted:

It's the same reason why Nintendo gave early adopters 20 free games for the 3DS, despite the fact these stunts do take time and effort: the system's not selling and they need to cram as much value-add as possible and make transitioning to it as painless and attractive as possible.

I can't recall precedent for these kinds of stunts before. It's hard enough to get iOS/android developers to make a tablet-optimized and phone-optimized version, when the biggest difference is the resolution and maybe different peripherals.

How is it a stunt? Sony's given successor consoles features that take advantage of their capabilities while playing predecessors since the PS2.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The main thing I remember about the PS2 backcompat is some sort of bad alpha transparency handling for some PS1 games and unpredictable framerate increases/decreases, unless I'm remembering it wrong. Sometimes particle effects would have a faded dark square around them, and a few games had unexpected slowdown or crashes.

Roll of Quarters
Jan 7, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I had the same problem with disconnecting all the god drat time, then I got the USB to ethernet and I have not disconnected since.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Chronojam posted:

The main thing I remember about the PS2 backcompat is some sort of bad alpha transparency handling for some PS1 games and unpredictable framerate increases/decreases, unless I'm remembering it wrong. Sometimes particle effects would have a faded dark square around them, and a few games had unexpected slowdown or crashes.

I remember FF8 making GBS threads itself during the Seifer fight on disc 3, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy would lock up at the end of arcade mode, but those were the only bugs I saw.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

The number of games that probably had genuine issues of some sort with emulation on the PS2 likely outnumbers the number of games Nintendo has released on Virtual Console across the Wii, the 3DS, and the Wii U, and the number of games that didn't have issues outnumbers even that.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

I hope they don't call this guy "ROB U".

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/09/nintendo-remotely-controlled-mobile-device-control-patent/

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

fivegears4reverse posted:

The number of games that probably had genuine issues of some sort with emulation on the PS2 likely outnumbers the number of games Nintendo has released on Virtual Console across the Wii, the 3DS, and the Wii U, and the number of games that didn't have issues outnumbers even that.

Neat. It also severely outnumbers the combined list of the GameCube games that have glitches or don't run on the Wii, and the Wii games that have glitches or don't run on the Wii U, the DS games that have glitches or don't run on the 3DS, and the GBA games that have glitches or don't run on the DS. Here's that list:*

But I think we were discussing PS1 games that gained new benefits on the PS2? Console publishers (and retail developers in general) generally don't do "old software, suddenly works better!" without making you pay money for it. It's very atypical that Sony would do that with the Vita for PSP titles.

*I'm not being serious this is a dumb tangent

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chronojam posted:

But I think we were discussing PS1 games that gained new benefits on the PS2? Console publishers (and retail developers in general) generally don't do "old software, suddenly works better!" without making you pay money for it. It's very atypical that Sony would do that with the Vita for PSP titles.

The PS2, PS3, and Vita add 'smoothing' to PS1 games (and I think PS2 games on the PS3, and the Vita also smooths out PSP games), which does account for a good number of those particle effects boxes you mentioned before regarding PSOne titles. All three systems do provide faster load times (though with PSOne games this feature can and does cause additional glitches, and it's something that can be turned off). I'm pretty sure I've never had to pay extra for anything on the Vita when the PS One and PSP emulators got updated to take advantage of system-specific features (like making use of the touch screen to act as additional buttons/button combinations. They also didn't do it for the PS3 when they updated the emulator options (I think it had something to do with the disc swapping process and smoothing). Of course, you are right that most publishers and developers don't give out content for free, unless they want to be a little more competitive.

I don't, however, see the enhancements of VC games I already own as "additional content" I or anyone ought to pay extra for, so much as it's something that should be considered a standard function of how the system works. The gamepad is a pretty neat little thing, and I think it's gonna be rad to play Super Metroid on it when that becomes available. I think that it's a little egregious to be charged extra to take advantage of a feature that is pretty heavily advertised with the system for software I already own. In a way it feels like they're undermining an important feature of the console itself by charging extra for it. Yeah, its going to be a piddling amount, but I think you'd be surprised how many folks aren't going to buy into that just on principal alone.

This is actually important to the situation the eShop is currently experiencing, because imperfect emulation has often been one of the explanations for why the Virtual Console service (on both the Wii and the 3DS) have seen little in the way of new content over the lifespans of those respective systems. The issue here is that the Wii U NEEDS some content, and right now the system has a somewhat annoying method of using already purchased content (or transferring stuff you already own to the new hardware). On top of this, Nintendo is charging extra for people who already own (specific) VC games to enhance them with Wii U-specific features as those games become available again, which could take who knows how long.

I don't think this is a particularly great practice. I don't think the "perfection" Nintendo wants for their emulated games matters so much that they need to have content on a drip feed (because it's pretty much proven that just having BC or old games available digitally is good enough to make people happy, gamers put up with imperfect emulation as is). They could have the stuff available on the Wii U's eShop now (or at least a lot earlier than they've been saying) and patch in new functionality later (because they've done this with some 3DS VC titles and haven't charged a cent more in those cases, and ultimately that's what they are charging for, basic functionality). I think a lot of folks would prefer to have something now as opposed to what the eShop currently provides. I think they could be doing better with their handling of purchases from customers making the switch.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 10, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

fivegears4reverse posted:

I don't, however, see the enhancements of VC games I already own as "additional content" I or anyone ought to pay extra for, so much as it's something that should be considered a standard function of how the system works. The gamepad is a pretty neat little thing, and I think it's gonna be rad to play Super Metroid on it when that becomes available. I think that it's a little egregious to be charged extra to take advantage of a feature that is pretty heavily advertised with the system for software I already own. In a way it feels like they're undermining an important feature of the console itself by charging extra for it. Yeah, its going to be a piddling amount, but I think you'd be surprised how many folks aren't going to buy into that just on principal alone.

I agree with this. New features are supposed to be why you're buying the console. The abstract right to the game is something you already own. It really is "nickel and diming" to charge for upgrading features when you've already upgraded the hardware. It's also not a piddling amount when you have a sizable collection and have to pay to upgrade each game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You're not paying a small fee to upgrade your existing software, you're being given then option to buy a second item of software at a reduced price.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

We've been over this several times already. The only answer is to ask yourself "Are these new features worth $1-$1.50 per game to me?". If not, don't pay, and stick with the still-playable Wii versions.

If an amazing game like LttP was worth paying $8 back in 2007, I just don't feel like an extra $1.50 six years later for new features is suddenly pushing it waayyyy over the line. And if it was never worth $8 to you to begin with, then I don't even know why you'd care about the Virtual Console at all. It's just a relatively small amount of money to fuss over. Don't upgrade if this all seems outrageous, I'm sure Nintendo will be tracking upgrade rates.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AngryCaterpillar posted:

It's also not a piddling amount when you have a sizable collection and have to pay to upgrade each game.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You're not paying a small fee to upgrade your existing software

Supercar Gautier posted:

Don't upgrade if this all seems outrageous

Some of the folks who support this do say that you're not paying for an upgrade or that it isn't an upgrade, and others consider it an upgrade and either support or are against it. I'm not trying to attack any of you here, I just find how this has been so differently perceived to be rather interesting. Another sign of the weak messaging behind the whole system, probably.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You're not paying a small fee to upgrade your existing software, you're being given then option to buy a second item of software at a reduced price.

Of course this is true technically, but it's the same game being emulated in two slightly different ways on the same console. In essence the Virtual Console service is meant to simply provide an experience the same as the original release of the game, that's the point of it. I don't agree that the VC fulfilling its original stated purpose a bit more effectively is something that should cost anything. Anyways, there'll be plenty of people to complain about this when it launches in a couple of months.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

None of this would be necessary if Nintendo just made the GamePad and Controller Pad Pro compatible with Wii games. It's ridiculous, because I don't need to buy an original Xbox controller to play a backwards compatible game on the 360, or an original Dualshock and memory card to do the same on the PS3. These systems are able to use their new wireless controllers and internal hard drives in exactly the same way an emulator would.

Nintendo could easily map the GamePad and Pro to mimick a Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller, but they went for the quickest and easiest solution. They could have even had four internal Wavebird receivers, but they'd prefer it if you bought new controllers instead.

You can complain about the accuracy of backwards compatibility on the other two consoles, but only a single controller is needed for nearly their entire library of games.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm pretty sure if you were to run the numbers on what percentage of users would make use of four internal Wavebird receivers, your spreadsheet wouldn't tell you "YES THIS IS A GOOD INVESTMENT IN THE HARDWARE".

EDIT: This is also the reason they're not bothering to make a legacy supercontroller that can plug into every out-of-production console they've ever made.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 10, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

That loving Sned posted:

None of this would be necessary if Nintendo just made the GamePad and Controller Pad Pro compatible with Wii games. It's ridiculous, because I don't need to buy an original Xbox controller to play a backwards compatible game on the 360, or an original Dualshock and memory card to do the same on the PS3. These systems are able to use their new wireless controllers and internal hard drives in exactly the same way an emulator would.

Nintendo could easily map the GamePad and Pro to mimick a Classic Controller or Gamecube Controller, but they went for the quickest and easiest solution. They could have even had four internal Wavebird receivers, but they'd prefer it if you bought new controllers instead.

You can complain about the accuracy of backwards compatibility on the other two consoles, but only a single controller is needed for nearly their entire library of games.

This infuriates me so much. There are even third party controllers that have switches that change it from "Wii U Mode" to "Wii Mode" (e.g. that Wii U Pro controller that looks like a Super Famicom controller) so why couldn't Nintendo do this out of the box. I'd like to play Xenoblade and The Last Story with my Pro Controller, not rummage around for my Wiimote and nunchuk.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm pretty sure if you were to run the numbers on what percentage of users would make use of four internal Wavebird receivers, your spreadsheet wouldn't tell you "YES THIS IS A GOOD INVESTMENT IN THE HARDWARE".

EDIT: This is also the reason they're not bothering to make a legacy supercontroller that can plug into every out-of-production console they've ever made.

The Wavebird receivers was just an idea for how it could remain compatible with GC controllers without needing to include controller ports. A better idea would be so sell official USB adaptors. The main reason why I want this is because the GC is still a perfectly good controller, and the proper way to play Super Smash Bros.

Also, I'm not suggesting they make a controller that works on all Nintendo consoles, I want their current controller to work with everything playable on the Wii U. This was bad even back on the Wii, where it was completely arbitrary whether a game would be compatible with either the GC controller, Classic controller, or both.

The GamePad and Pro controller should be compatible with every non-Wiimote based game. I should not have to buy a controller that has a Wii remote dangling from it just because Nintendo can't be bothered to allow their backwards compatibility mode to interpret button presses from a different device.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

For anyone in the UK interested, ShopTo have Xenoblade Chronicles back in stock for about £33.

I just bought a copy and now I need something to play it on. Is it worth getting a Wii U if I want to play Wii games mainly? Does the Wii U upscale Wii games to HD or anything? Does that Club Nintendo SNES controller work with the Wii U?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Blaisedell posted:

Is it worth getting a Wii U if I want to play Wii games mainly? Does the Wii U upscale Wii games to HD or anything? Does that Club Nintendo SNES controller work with the Wii U?

Sure. The Wii U scales everything (not by render resolution like an emulator though) to whatever resolution you're running at and does a drat good job of it. If that controller uses the Wiimote port and not the Gamecube port it'll work fine, though you'll need to get a Wiimote (you need one to even boot vWii mode).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Blaisedell posted:

I just bought a copy and now I need something to play it on. Is it worth getting a Wii U if I want to play Wii games mainly? Does the Wii U upscale Wii games to HD or anything? Does that Club Nintendo SNES controller work with the Wii U?

Xenoblade looks much better upscaled to 1080p on the Wii U than it does at 480p on the Wii. Obviously it's not going to look at pristine as running the game through a PC via Dolphin, but it's still a huge step up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Splinter Cell Blacklist finally confirmed.

Also Disney Infinity, Duck Tales Remastered and Mutant Mudds Deluxe confirmed as well as a new Rayman Legends demo coming this month.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sure. The Wii U scales everything (not by render resolution like an emulator though) to whatever resolution you're running at and does a drat good job of it.

zenintrude posted:

Xenoblade looks much better upscaled to 1080p on the Wii U than it does at 480p on the Wii. Obviously it's not going to look at pristine as running the game through a PC via Dolphin, but it's still a huge step up.
Just clearing something up here: This depends on your TV. All the WiiU is doing is taking the 480p signal and upscaling it to 1080p -- something your 1080p TV would have to do anyway before displaying the 480p image! So depending on the quality of the scaler in your TV, it will either look better, worse, or the same as if running on a Wii with Component cables in 480p.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What's a Mutant Mudd Deluxe? Sounds like Street Sharks or possibly Biker Mice From Mars.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Just clearing something up here: This depends on your TV. All the WiiU is doing is taking the 480p signal and upscaling it to 1080p -- something your 1080p TV would have to do anyway before displaying the 480p image! So depending on the quality of the scaler in your TV, it will either look better, worse, or the same as if running on a Wii with Component cables in 480p.

Fair point. I've seen it on three TVs (a Sanyo LCD, a Soniq LCD and a Panasonic plasma) and they all looked mighty fine. In the case of the Soniq and Sanyo far better than the Wii did with component cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Just to provide a little balance, wii games look a little worse on my wii u compared to running through 480p component on my old wii. It's not a huge difference, but I certainly wouldn't rate the U as a big improvement or anything.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just an anomaly with my setup, but wii games look extremely washed out for some reason, like the brightness/gamma is far too high. Native Wii U stuff looks great.

• Locked thread