Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Das Volk posted:

I never "got" socal brotrucks. What are they supposed to be for? I understand the whole mudding thing down in the deep south but what's in southern California?

Easy women, same reason most people in the South do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Das Volk posted:

I never "got" socal brotrucks. What are they supposed to be for? I understand the whole mudding thing down in the deep south but what's in southern California?

GLAMIS BRO

No seriously, there are lots of places to go climbing just outside of LA. On that note, 9/10 bro trucks will get stuck and they're just penis extensions.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005

Das Volk posted:

See, if you ask them these are "Pre-Runners". The idea, although rarely the reality, is that you have your truck ready to take out into the desert and scout out the race track conditions for the off road races. Most of them only ever end up trundling out to comp-row and parking for the weekend, if even that much. My dad has a small shop and got plenty of these guys coming in, sometimes stoned enough to pick up a grinder and stare at it just like it did a card trick.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Penis compensation.

Most of em you'll see running around with 2-4 blingin chrome shocks per corner (shock rods coated in flash rust ~3/4" up from ride height) with completely useless multi foot lifts (without the accompanying track width increase to make the vehicle at least as stable as it was stock), wheel wells not trimmed to allow actual use of that suspension lift, stupid-big tires on stupid-big bling rims, dumb headlights and taillights, stacks, and a monster energy sticker on each body panel.

It's entirely tacky status symbol crap/one-upsmanship/appearance over function, basically hellaflushing for trucks.

You could give me a pile of bro-truck poo poo for my truck and I still wouldn't use it, I'd rather stick with a low, functional lift, mild tire size and track width increase, lockers, and maybe sell the bro truck crap to get another diff locker, new tires, and some quality shocks so I can actually go faster...

Example:
I'm friends with the owner of this truck on facebook for people-watching/abyss-staring purposes. He owns a shop that caters almost exclusively to bro-truck owners.

"one of my favorite pics of my truck" :barf:

At one point he posted a bunch of pictures of it to an offroad parts trading group on facebook hoping people would stroke his ego. Everyone told him it was a pile of poo poo, too tall, useless offroad, etc so he went off the deep end, insulted everyone, said our piles of poo poo couldn't keep up with him on the highway, his truck was better, etc. I told him I'd race for pinks if I could choose the course and that the one I had in mind was a stupid simple trail I do all the time in 2wd in my crummy truck that cost less than his rims, and that I'd even cover his trail use fee, he just sorta stopped replying...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Penis compensation.

Most of em you'll see running around with 2-4 blingin chrome shocks per corner (shock rods coated in flash rust ~3/4" up from ride height) with completely useless multi foot lifts (without the accompanying track width increase to make the vehicle at least as stable as it was stock), wheel wells not trimmed to allow actual use of that suspension lift, stupid-big tires on stupid-big bling rims, dumb headlights and taillights, stacks, and a monster energy sticker on each body panel.

It's entirely tacky status symbol crap/one-upsmanship/appearance over function, basically hellaflushing for trucks.

You could give me a pile of bro-truck poo poo for my truck and I still wouldn't use it, I'd rather stick with a low, functional lift, mild tire size and track width increase, lockers, and maybe sell the bro truck crap to get another diff locker, new tires, and some quality shocks so I can actually go faster...

Example:
I'm friends with the owner of this truck on facebook for people-watching/abyss-staring purposes. He owns a shop that caters almost exclusively to bro-truck owners.

"one of my favorite pics of my truck" :barf:

At one point he posted a bunch of pictures of it to an offroad parts trading group on facebook hoping people would stroke his ego. Everyone told him it was a pile of poo poo, too tall, useless offroad, etc so he went off the deep end, insulted everyone, said our piles of poo poo couldn't keep up with him on the highway, his truck was better, etc. I told him I'd race for pinks if I could choose the course and that the one I had in mind was a stupid simple trail I do all the time in 2wd in my crummy truck that cost less than his rims, and that I'd even cover his trail use fee, he just sorta stopped replying...

:ohdear: That poor Cummins didn't ask to be abused....

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
To be fair I do want to see what kastein would do with a free turbodiesel Ram. We should mob this guy and force him to make good on his bet.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd put a set of F350 dana 60 front knuckles/brakes/hubs/spindles/outer shafts, a set of load leveling airbags, and a pitman arm support bearing/brace on it and tow with it. Pretty boring. Fullsize pickups are a tool to me, not a toy.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Spotted this while walking to the bus this morning:

My best guess is that someone just wanted to list all their favorite things on their car.

What I don't understand is how their favorite things ended up being the combination of Rihanna, Batman, Transformers, Marilyn Monroe, and Romeo.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nothing classes up your Infiniti like a giant Fox sticker.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

EightBit posted:

Easy women, same reason most people in the South do it.

We call these Bro-Hoes in southern California. They typically have the bleach highlighted hair, nautical star tattoos, wear nothing but black and hot pink, hats where the bill points to the sky, and usually missing a few teeth. They also put stickers on their Cali-lifted Ford Explorers that say "Silly boys, trucks are for girls" while knowing nothing about vehicles at all.

They swoon over these types of trucks, construction jobs*, and really bad tattoos. If they have kids, they look like a mini-me of the mom or dad.

*Nothing wrong with construction jobs, but it's the only job a Dude-Bro will have.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Fullsize pickups are a tool to me, not a toy.

This a thousand times over.

Besides, If its shooting past me at 80+ on the freeway, I KNOW it won't be keeping up off road.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

I always want to go up to people with Fox stickers and just quiz them on what Fox actually makes.

I've done it before, the answers made me laugh.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

CommieGIR posted:

I always want to go up to people with Fox stickers and just quiz them on what Fox actually makes.

What answers do they usually give? I'd accept "clothing" as a fair answer as that's primarily what they sell with motocross gear and apparel. I mean most people don't actually use Alpinestars, MSR, etc gear but they still go to the mall and buy the stuff to fit that image. Even better if it has a giant green Monster logo on it.

I've never known anyone to have a fox shock on their bike personally. It's way cheaper to just buy a new spring for your weight and call it good on the back end. I'm sure it's more common on the amateur bikes and on up but for most people it's probably overkill.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Board Shorts!

JP Money posted:

What answers do they usually give? I'd accept "clothing" as a fair answer as that's primarily what they sell with motocross gear and apparel. I mean most people don't actually use Alpinestars, MSR, etc gear but they still go to the mall and buy the stuff to fit that image. Even better if it has a giant green Monster logo on it.

I've never known anyone to have a fox shock on their bike personally. It's way cheaper to just buy a new spring for your weight and call it good on the back end. I'm sure it's more common on the amateur bikes and on up but for most people it's probably overkill.

From what I understand The Fox Shock company is different than the one that makes motorcycle apparel. I know Fox Shocks are really popular on snowmobiles

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 9, 2013

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
(still learning how to post)

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

JP Money posted:

That and riding gear usually.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

JP Money posted:

Unless you're going back a looong way: :ughh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Racing

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
They used to be the same thing... I'm just curious what answer you'd be looking for with a question like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

JP Money posted:

They say 'Clothing' but then I'll ask them to specify what sort of clothing. Usually its board shorts or jeans or something, one person thought they made energy drinks like Monster does. Another person thought Fox made Fox body kits for Mustangs, another said they were an Italian motorsports company.

When I mention they make motorcycle gear they get confused.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

cursedshitbox posted:

Besides, If its shooting past me at 80+ on the freeway, I KNOW it won't be keeping up off road.

I figured out one time that after the V-8 swap my FJ40 redlined at like 85.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

When I mention they make motorcycle gear they get confused.
I think of them as MTB/Motocross gloves and stuff primarily.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

CommieGIR posted:

:ohdear: That poor Cummins didn't ask to be abused....

Well, they do....just not in this manner.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I have an ancient as hell fox twinclicker on the fzr. Love the thing.

To add content:

I still wanna bring home a maser. even after seeing this.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I'm more impressed by this:

http://alpinestarsbydenisefocil.com/

"We really need to extend our lifestyle brand into something that has absolutely nothing to do with our core audience"

Octopus Magic fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 9, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Unless you're going back a looong way: :ughh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Racing

Are those the same company? Bicycle shocks and apparel?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Welp I just learned something today! I always thought they were the same company, and I'll admit I even wore a fox racing shirt once or twice. But I've also owned plenty of [mountain] bikes with Fox suspension components.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Are those the same company? Bicycle shocks and apparel?
Not for more than 35 years. The respective founders are brothers

I imagine flipping a coin for logos. "Heads or tails?" :haw:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Geoj posted:

Rt 8 in Akron, by the University?

edit: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=univ...,348.99,,0,2.11
Yep! I haven't lived there in nearly a decade, but still recognized that horrible area. Traffic is bad, and the short ramps make it hard for people to merge and exit.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 9, 2013

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Sir Tonk posted:

This showed up at the Lamborghini Festival south of Houston yesterday.

It's an Abarth, either that or he spent alot of cash on decals, wheels, and that intake cover.

He evidently spent a load of cash on the doors so probably the latter. I'm actually less offended by those doors on that car than I am on the otherwise unmolested yellow Z06 that lives down the road, which still makes me shake my head every time I think about it.

Personally I'd put this in the other thread because it actually seemed really well done, but I think it belongs here because it's a Beetle and I think they're horribly pointless cars:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nocheez posted:

Rt 8 in Akron, by the University?

edit: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=univ...,348.99,,0,2.11
Yep! I haven't lived there in nearly a decade, but still recognized that horrible area. Traffic is bad, and the short ramps make it hard for people to merge and exit.

You nailed it, just past the central interchange. They did a major overhaul of the downtown exits about 7 years ago but its still terrible at rush hour going south, people are loving idiots and end up in the far right lane that takes you to 77N when they need to be in the center or left lanes to continue south after 8 ends - or the other way around, and nobody knows how to change lanes or thinks the highway is a big race. Its still not uncommon for traffic to back up past Chapel Hill into Cuyahoga Falls.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 9, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Not for more than 35 years. The respective founders are brothers

I imagine flipping a coin for logos. "Heads or tails?" :haw:

:downsrim:

Interesting stuff, learn something new every day.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Hashal posted:

We call these Bro-Hoes in southern California. They typically have the bleach highlighted hair, nautical star tattoos, wear nothing but black and hot pink, hats where the bill points to the sky, and usually missing a few teeth. They also put stickers on their Cali-lifted Ford Explorers that say "Silly boys, trucks are for girls" while knowing nothing about vehicles at all.

Used to hang out with a group of them just after high school.

One of them was attacked by a dog when she was younger, got some money in a lawsuit that she couldnt touch until she turned 18.

They day after her 18th birthday she shows up in a brand new F150 with a massive pink lift and huge wheels and tires. Her driving a truck that big scared the poo poo out of me.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Flyoverville, KS Craigslist:
Customized Nissan Quest - $7500
Selling due to unexpected medical bills
Non-smoker's car!
Female owned!
Over $10,000 invested (in stickers)
Also,

quote:

Paint in excellent condition last time I saw it

I'm picturing the driver in my head, a lumbering hambeast wiggling out of the driver's seat and straight into her Hoveround in front of the CHEAPEST drat SMOKES AND CHECK CASHING hut.

Along those lines but a bit less gaudy:

And even more :psyduck:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cenodoxus posted:

Air filters...air filters work best when pulling from still air?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cenodoxus posted:

Along those lines but a bit less gaudy:

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Cenodoxus posted:

Remote location turbo, designed for vehicles that don't have much space in the engine bay (or owners with too much space in their head). I've always wondered how much they add to the lag, having all those extra feet of piping. Not that that lets them off the hook for that air filter arrangement.

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

Terrible Robot posted:

Remote location turbo, designed for vehicles that don't have much space in the engine bay (or owners with too much space in their head). I've always wondered how much they add to the lag, having all those extra feet of piping. Not that that lets them off the hook for that air filter arrangement.

It's actually a false bottomed bed. It was used for human trafficking across the US/Mexican border.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Feet of extra turbo piping actually surprisingly doesn't add much, if anything, to turbo lag. I mean, unless you're Holdbrooks and you're contemplating running it eight feet into the air and then five squiggly feet back.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

drgitlin posted:

Personally I'd put this in the other thread because it actually seemed really well done, but I think it belongs here because it's a Beetle and I think they're horribly pointless cars:

Wrong thread. The work on that car is amazing... he lives or works near Eastern Market in DC and I see him all the time.

I can't find more pics of the car, but I think it's the same guy who owns this van: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anartist_flickr/6306453829/ The work is definitely by the same person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

Feet of extra turbo piping actually surprisingly doesn't add much, if anything, to turbo lag. I mean, unless you're Holdbrooks and you're contemplating running it eight feet into the air and then five squiggly feet back.

He could incorporate it into the cars whole aesthetic; build up the boost and make them dance like steam pipes! :haw: