Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah it was just taken at a bar late afternoon.
I guess more than anything I am just asking what kind of post processing I could do to enhance those gritty effects. Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions.

I like the original the way it is. I'm no post-processing expert by any stretch, but if what you want is to bring out your subject's skin texture more, I'd stick with playing with your contrast or clarity sliders, and then sharpen it some. Keep it simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got my first hot shoe flash today. I have no idea what I'm doing. But I do it anyways!

Mine was done only using bounced flash in a dark room. I didn't get near the hard shadows with it that I wanted.

IMG_4656 by philip painter, on Flickr

IMG_4632 by philip painter, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Dude that's a mighty beard.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Santa is strapped posted:

Dude that's a mighty beard.

Thanks. You should see it when it's in full bloom.

IMG_0158 by philip painter, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

smallmouth posted:

I got my first hot shoe flash today. I have no idea what I'm doing. But I do it anyways!

Mine was done only using bounced flash in a dark room. I didn't get near the hard shadows with it that I wanted.

Bouncing the flash will soften the shadows, because you're increasing the size of the light source.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

dakana posted:

Bouncing the flash will soften the shadows, because you're increasing the size of the light source.

Makes sense. Thanks!

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?

dakana posted:

I've been playing with lights as well lately, and found that you'll have to get a whole lot closer than you'd guess for really dramatic shadows.

Any feedback on this is welcome!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah it was just taken at a bar late afternoon.
I guess more than anything I am just asking what kind of post processing I could do to enhance those gritty effects. Perhaps I am asking the wrong questions.

The easiest way is to just sharpen it, but it can be easy to overdo. In lightroom you're looking for the clarity slider, in Photoshop make a copy of the background layer, apply a high pass filter, and change the blending mode to soft or hard light.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RangerScum posted:

The easiest way is to just sharpen it, but it can be easy to overdo. In lightroom you're looking for the clarity slider, in Photoshop make a copy of the background layer, apply a high pass filter, and change the blending mode to soft or hard light.

Clarity is midtone contrast, not sharpening. There's an entirely different set of sliders for sharpening in Lightroom, radius, amount, all that stuff.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RangerScum posted:

The easiest way is to just sharpen it, but it can be easy to overdo. In lightroom you're looking for the clarity slider
Just use the sharpening tools. That way you can actually mask properly.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Interesting, thank you for the correction.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Hold option (Windows alt) while adjusting the mask slider and you get what looks like an actual mask for feedback. Holding the same key while adjusting the other sliders converts the image to gray scale so you can see the sharpen effect better. It's a p. decent system to do a quick masked sharpen.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I always think the Lightroom sharpening tools look like garbage. Whenever I actually need to sharpen I feel like the output sharpening or taking it into Photoshop and unsharp masking it works better.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ashley by xxyzx road, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 11, 2013

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle
Couple favs from a portrait shoot yesterday:

IMG_9460-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_9382-Edit-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

IMG_9511 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I like the colours/tones here, but for post I'd go a bit heavier on the dark lines under her eyes; at the moment with her all-pale portrait skin and then the dark patches it looks a bit like she's covered up two black eyes with makeup :o:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I like the colours/tones here, but for post I'd go a bit heavier on the dark lines under her eyes; at the moment with her all-pale portrait skin and then the dark patches it looks a bit like she's covered up two black eyes with makeup :o:

A little bit of work with the Color Dodge blend mode would probably help a great deal with this.

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Thanks, tried to fix it up a bit in PS, I think it looks much better:
Original:
IMG_9382-Edit-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

New:
IMG_9382-Edit-Edit-Edit-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

and here's one more from that shoot that I like a lot:

IMG_9437-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

the hodag posted:

Couple favs from a portrait shoot yesterday:

IMG_9460-Edit by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

This one's really good.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Ashley by xxyzx road, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 14, 2013

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes
Current works in progress:

edit: decided to go with a 16:9 crop

sw1gger fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 14, 2013

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

sw1gger posted:

Current works in progress:

edit: decided to go with a 16:9 crop

Bottom one, I'd bring the irises out a little, looks like they'd make a nice contrast with the hair.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I really like this. Feels light and delicate.

A couple from my recent West Coast vacation:

Have Coat, Will Travel 1 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 2 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 3 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 4 by thetzar, on Flickr

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

thetzar posted:

I really like this. Feels light and delicate.

Really nice!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

thetzar posted:

Have Coat, Will Travel 2 by thetzar, on Flickr

Have Coat, Will Travel 3 by thetzar, on Flickr

I really like this series. Great job! I might push the red of her coat a little more in the third one.

Oprah Haza posted:

Really nice!

You got her to smile! I really like the third one with the angled lines from the swing set.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Did some bluebonnet pictures yesterday. Here's some of the finished ones so far.

Bluebonnets_2013-14 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

Bluebonnets_2013-11 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

My monitor is getting all janky, I think. I can't tell if the colors are okay or not anymore. I'll probably have to drop some money in the next month to get me a new one. :(

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
It looks a little bright to me - probably your monitor.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Chitin posted:

It looks a little bright to me - probably your monitor.

But likely 'truthful.' There's a lot of squinting going on there.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

The problem is it's a high contrast setting. Getting both sides of the face (highlight and shadows) are likely beyond the camera's dynamic range capability. You can try to bring down the highlights to get the right side of the faces more properly exposed.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I'm thinking if this isn't it, I'll have to drag out the work Mac to do some edits (uugh, it's so sloooooow) It looks a little better I think, but I also can't tell that much of a difference. :sigh:

And yeah, I only have a D5000 and it had a 50mm 1.8 on it. I think the sun was just too harsh for the field we were at.

Previous:

Bluebonnets_2013-14 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

Newer:

Bluebonnets_2013-14_2 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

EDIT:

Newest:

Bluebonnets_2013-14_3 by thepaisleyfox, on Flickr

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 16, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Here's one from a shoot I had this weekend.

Hall of Doors by Myotomy, on Flickr

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

RangerScum posted:

Gorgeous, might I ask what was the thinking behind not having some kind of light on the model?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

xenilk posted:

Gorgeous, might I ask what was the thinking behind not having some kind of light on the model?

I had a shoot-through umbrella with me that I tried out in this setting and I preferred how it all looked with deeper shadows. I don't do a lot of portraits with only natural light so that was also a bit of a motivation for me. All in all I was at that location for a job and after noticing the windows decided to take something for personal use, so I was kind of winging it.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

RangerScum posted:

Love this. I do wish there was a little bit more pop on the red shoes/hair thingie, but that's a minor personal quibble. Where was the setting?

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

thetzar posted:

Love this. I do wish there was a little bit more pop on the red shoes/hair thingie, but that's a minor personal quibble. Where was the setting?

I was at Pressure Point recording studios in Chicago doing some standard promo shots for a fitness professional. Good call on the red, I might play with that a bit.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Finished printing my project with the vintage cadet costume.

The Cadet by McMadCow, on Flickr

The new paper I used is a little rough to scan, but it's gorgeous in person.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Just having some fun

Don't Look Behind by alkanphel, on Flickr

the hodag
Jan 15, 2007

Rawrzadoodle

RangerScum posted:

This is great!

McMadCow posted:

I don't post in these forums a ton, but I lurk a lot and I've always enjoyed your work and these are no exception.

Here's one from a shoot I had yesterday:

IMG_0029 by Calypso_Rae, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

McMadCow posted:

Awesome man - diggin the treatment/film! Can't tell which one I like the most. I'm leaning towards the middle one.
Pinup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dude I'm digging that bottom photo..