Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

penismightier posted:

As well as those, he did Memories of Murder, the best crime film ever made.

I just watched this tonight and I have to vehemently disagree with my whole heart... Bong Joon-ho's movies are terrible, bi-polar clusterfucks that fail to satisfy on any level except for perhaps those who enjoy boggling at bizarre trainwrecks. His juxtaposition of goofy slapstick and grim seriousness simply doesn't work and left me wondering how this schizophrenic madman continues to get funding for his insane projects.

Although if your idea of the best crime film ever made is a pastiche of Seven and the Keystone Cops, I guess this is the movie for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

zenintrude posted:

I just watched this tonight and I have to vehemently disagree with my whole heart... Bong Joon-ho's movies are terrible, bi-polar clusterfucks that fail to satisfy on any level except for perhaps those who enjoy boggling at bizarre trainwrecks. His juxtaposition of goofy slapstick and grim seriousness simply doesn't work and left me wondering how this schizophrenic madman continues to get funding for his insane projects.

Although if your idea of the best crime film ever made is a pastiche of Seven and the Keystone Cops, I guess this is the movie for you.

Hm yeah every movie should be a grim slog through one emotion and one emotion only. I'll notify the Coen Brothers and Charlie Chaplin that comedy and and seriousness should never meet.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

David Cronenburg's son releases his first movie, Antiviral in a few days.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

penismightier posted:

Hm yeah every movie should be a grim slog through one emotion and one emotion only. I'll notify the Coen Brothers and Charlie Chaplin that comedy and and seriousness should never meet.

Did I say that it needs to be one or the other? No, I said that Bong Joon-ho is bad at mixing them... he goes way, way to far in one direction (the loving ridiculousness that was the murder reenactment) if he expects us to follow him way, way to the other direction (Detective Seo confronting the killer after he murder the school girl). And don't even get me started on how sickeningly cute it was that Detective Park shows up at just the exact perfect moment to present him with the DNA results! Oh and there's a[nother] conveniently timed train! It was like watching a soap opera.

The worlds and characters depicted in Coen Bros. movies, while they may deal with serious stories in humorous ways, are expertly crafted in such a way that the seams do not show. Their films allows us to simultaneously laugh and be horrified (often at the same time!) at the brutality and ineptitude of man in such a way as you never feel like you're being yanked from one extreme to the other... they are well oiled, expertly guided experiences that deal with the full range of human emotions with characters that seem real within their universes.

But this is probably a debate for some other thread... sorry for the rant/derail.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 10, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

zenintrude posted:

Did I say that it needs to be one or the other? No, I said that Bong Joon-ho is bad at mixing them... he goes way, way to far in one direction (the loving ridiculousness that was the murder reenactment) if he expects us to follow him way, way to the other direction (Detective Seo confronting the killer after he murder the school girl). And don't even get me started on how sickeningly cute it was that Detective Park shows up at just the exact perfect moment to present him with the DNA results! Oh and there's a[nother] conveniently timed train! It was like watching a soap opera.

The worlds and characters depicted in Coen Bros. movies, while they may deal with serious stories in humorous ways, are expertly crafted in such a way that the seams do not show. Their films allows us to simultaneously laugh and be horrified (often at the same time!) at the brutality and ineptitude of man in such a way as you never feel like you're being yanked from one extreme to the other... they are well oiled, expertly guided experiences that deal with the full range of human emotions with characters that seem real within their universes.

But this is probably a debate for some other thread... sorry for the rant/derail.

You crazy. You just crazy.

(Also this isn't really a derail because I did post that sweet as gently caress poster).

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

QuoProQuid posted:

It already had a release in Canada. Good movie. Hard to sit through if you don't like needles, but good nonetheless.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

zenintrude posted:

Ok now I just have to see this movie because it if this comparison is even slightly valid it has got be the best crime film ever made.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I mean, isn't contemporary Korean cinema kind of defined by its genre instability and the transgression of boundaries that you wouldn't see in Hollywood films? That's why you'll have a seemingly normal romantic comedy that suddenly has time-traveling aliens, or a psychological drama with a brief ultraviolent torture interlude, or a war film with a super-incongruous ice-ring knife fight.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ok now I just have to see this movie because it if this comparison is even slightly valid it has got be the best crime film ever made.

It's not. Seven is there, but the cops are inefficient because they've never dealt with a serial killer before and their department is wracked with systematic internal corruption that they barely even recognize themselves. It's more like Serpico + Seven.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I have to admit, while I enjoyed the hell out of Mother I was a bit put off by the slapstick in The Host. Tragicomedy seems to be very difficult to pull off.

e: haven't seen Memories of Murder, I need to get on that.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 10, 2013

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Only if Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century get an appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60-etRy0dg8

They made a full show from the old Looney Tunes episde?

...is it good?

Also, Memories of Murder is one of the best films of the last decade from any country. And holy poo poo, the photography! I guess I can understand that some people might not love it, but how can someone hate it? Or not at least recognize that it's well crafted?

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 10, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I just feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate a great film.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

...is it good?

It was a pretty cute cartoon, yeah. My parents really enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as12-yZGg-k

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

...is it good?

Not really. It only lasted like one season. Literally all I remember from it was one episode where Daffy gets a Green Lantern ring and Kevin Smith voices Hal Jordan. It's about as surreal as it sounds.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

The only episode I remember was the one which was a parody of Samurai Jack and it owned.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bugblatter posted:

...is it good?

It was pretty funny as I recall. They had one episode that was an Iron Giant riff, another was a Green Lantern crossover, Tom Jones sings the theme song, and Randy Savage plays a gruff military man named Master Sgt. Emily Dickinson Jones.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

QuoProQuid posted:

Antiviral is a good flick you should check out, Cronenberg Jr. is a little more accessible than his father, but still the apple is not far from the tree. Really, I don't think the apple fell off, it dropped onto another branch.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Maxwell Lord posted:

It was pretty funny as I recall. They had one episode that was an Iron Giant riff, another was a Green Lantern crossover, Tom Jones sings the theme song, and Randy Savage plays a gruff military man named Master Sgt. Emily Dickinson Jones.
And the Dave Mustaine episode

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tegan and Sankara posted:

At least a couple of those buildings (the Gherkin, most notably) are actual buildings in London.

The other poster had the London Eye. Like that thing's gonna be around in 200 years.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
This version of Star Trek still has a nuclear WW3 in its origin right? Its very unlikely in a nuclear war London wouldn't have been nuked repeatedly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Suzuki Method posted:

It was a pretty cute cartoon, yeah. My parents really enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as12-yZGg-k

Aku come back :smith:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Bugblatter posted:

Also, Memories of Murder is one of the best films of the last decade from any country. And holy poo poo, the photography! I guess I can understand that some people might not love it, but how can someone hate it? Or not at least recognize that it's well crafted?

Honestly, I wasn't wowed by the cinematography at all... it seemed competent but unexceptional. There were moments of inspiration, such as the scene where Detective Park returns to the first crime scene in the drain years later which looked great and the single take during the second crime scene, but by and large I'd say that the cinematography was pleasing but standard for the subject matter. It wasn't the star of the show, like you'd get from a movie shot by Christopher Doyle or Darius Khondji.

Slate Action posted:

I have to admit, while I enjoyed the hell out of Mother I was a bit put off by the slapstick in The Host. Tragicomedy seems to be very difficult to pull off.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, isn't contemporary Korean cinema kind of defined by its genre instability and the transgression of boundaries that you wouldn't see in Hollywood films? That's why you'll have a seemingly normal romantic comedy that suddenly has time-traveling aliens, or a psychological drama with a brief ultraviolent torture interlude, or a war film with a super-incongruous ice-ring knife fight.

I think this probably has a lot to do with my reaction to Memories of Murder (and Slate Action, I had a similar reaction to The Host; I was fully on board with the movie until the bizarre and off-putting scene in the emergency shelter following the initial attack) as I was going into it -- since it's based on actual events -- expecting Zodiac and I got... something else. And that's not to say that Zodiac didn't have moments of levity to break up the intense subject matter and shed light on some of the investigation's missteps, since I'd argue that this is one of the most important facets of the Paul Avery character.

penismightier posted:

It's not. Seven is there, but the cops are inefficient because they've never dealt with a serial killer before and their department is wracked with systematic internal corruption that they barely even recognize themselves. It's more like Serpico + Seven.

There's inefficient/corrupt and then there's bumbling. You don't need to have cops tripping down hills, playing loving cat's cradle while the rest of their squad searches for a dead body, or jump kicking every suspect they come across to show just how out of their element they are. And although my comparison to Keystone Cops was obviously hyperbole, the point stands that Bong Joon-ho has a tendency to take things just one or two steps past the point where they need to go.

Mister Chief posted:

I just feel sorry for anyone who can't appreciate a great film.

penismightier posted:

You crazy. You just crazy.

(Also this isn't really a derail because I did post that sweet as gently caress poster).

I feel sorry as well. I don't think anyone, save for Armond White, goes into a film hoping that they'll hate it and feel like they'd rather have those two hours back. I'm a huge fan of good police procedurals, so after Memories of Murder was praised here and on the Film Junk podcast within the span of a day, I knew that I had to check it out. And don't get me wrong, based on IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, and the general consensus here, I know that I'm definitely in the minority of people who do not think this movie is fantastic. It's actually distressing me since I feel like I have a fairly refined cinema palate.

That all said, I do like the poster and wish more films would use screen grabs rather than floating heads to sell their product.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 10, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You (and everyone else) should watch A Bittersweet Life, starring Storm Shadow and from the director of The Last Stand. That may not sound so hot but you have to trust me on this, it's incredible.

It also has a really boring poster.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This version of Star Trek still has a nuclear WW3 in its origin right? Its very unlikely in a nuclear war London wouldn't have been nuked repeatedly.

Star Trek's WW3 nuclear war was more of a tactical situation rather than full onslaught. Or, hey, maybe the new movie is ditching that stupidity.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sheldrake posted:

Star Trek's WW3 nuclear war was more of a tactical situation rather than full onslaught. Or, hey, maybe the new movie is ditching that stupidity.

Where did you get that? 600 million people died and huge regions of the world dissolved into anarchy known as the post-atomic horror.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 10, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Sheldrake posted:

Why is humanity emerging phoenix like from the ashes of nuclear war as an explanation for why the Federation is so noble a stupid idea?

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Wasn't a lot of WW3 stuff retconned later on when DS9 and Voyager started going back to the 20th Century?

I'm mostly thinking of that episode with Sarah Silverman.

Edit: Nope, that was the time period of the Eugenics War.

My bad, got my fictional wars jumbled up, and this is what I was thinking of:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Eugenics_Wars#Apocrypha

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 10, 2013

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
After all the Korean movies I've watched I thought I'd seen the limits of how over the top they can get with violence.

Then I saw "The Yellow Sea."

When it comes to blade violence this puts them all to shame. All of them. It's like they don't even know what guns are in Korea.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is The Yellow Sea any good? I thought The Chaser was a pretty average film and I know it's from the same director.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I thought it was good, despite devoting alot of screen time to horrendous hatchet and knife combat. If Korea is anything like Korean movies everyone must have hepatitis by now from the lakes of blood.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mister Chief posted:

Is The Yellow Sea any good? I thought The Chaser was a pretty average film and I know it's from the same director.

Personally I thought The Chaser was better but it's definitely a good film worth your time. Although it has one of the worst car chases ever put to film.

Thanks for reminding me of The Chaser's ending, you jerk. :mad:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I really enjoyed The Yellow Sea but I thought Chaser was excellent. I also watched The Good the Bad and the Weird last night (which I thought was a pretty fun western-ish romp) and while most posters for it are rubbish I quite like this one even though it's just a still of the movie:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I must admit, there's something hilarious and totally on-point in calling that film an "Oriental Western".

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I found this at a Goodwill for $8 yesterday:

Not only a great poster, but I think I got it for a steal...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I must admit, there's something hilarious and totally on-point in calling that film an "Oriental Western".

How else would you describe it? I suppose you could go the Tarantino route and call it an Eastern, but that might get confusing.

Also both of those posters are great and the movie is fantastic, especially the massive chase scene set to Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. Gave me goosebumps.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, that's one of the few others I thought wasn't bad. Though they apparently only had that one closeup shot of Kang-ho Song's character which is in most of the posters.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Nothing fancy, but I've always liked the poster for Eureka.

Good movie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

zenintrude posted:

How else would you describe it? I suppose you could go the Tarantino route and call it an Eastern, but that might get confusing.

Also both of those posters are great and the movie is fantastic, especially the massive chase scene set to Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. Gave me goosebumps.

Aren't Soviet Westerns called Easterns?
At least the ones that take place in the eastern steppes.