Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusingWizard
Apr 5, 2004
HURR I CLOSE MY THREADS IN SH/SC

Invisible Ted posted:

Just got in on this. I'm moving into my first place without roomates in about a month here and needed a sautee pan, which was already gonna run me at least $30, so throwing in a dutch oven with that is a pretty amazing deal. Shipping and tax only added up to about $6 for me, so nothing outrageous. Thanks for the heads up!

Don't forget the second saute pan, stainless dutch oven, stock pot, sauce pans that you're ALSO getting. That deal is nuts. I almost want to buy second just to have duplicates of some of my stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Tried to get in on it, but the confirmation email just says "Tramontina 5.5-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Bonus Trivet, Assorted Colors".

I'm guessing that is the only item we will actually get and it is just named incorrectly in the online catalog.

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Tenderloin posted:

Tried to get in on it, but the confirmation email just says "Tramontina 5.5-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Bonus Trivet, Assorted Colors".

I'm guessing that is the only item we will actually get and it is just named incorrectly in the online catalog.

Also in this boat, but I printed the page that says I have a store pickup with the 10 piece set as well. I'll wrestle them to see if I can get it fulfilled, and just return it if it doesn't work.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

gently caress it, just going to look around for a used robot coupe. I don't want cheap plastic bowls, I literally just want something built exactly like a robot coupe, but cheaper.

Like, why do all these food processors have that lovely feedhole/plunger thing. POUR IT IN AND COVER IT WITH A SIDETOWEL.

Why can't consumer equipment be built like professional equipment, why does everything have a million SuperSafe(TM) parts.
Go get a KFP500 or 600 off ebay. They barely have any safety features save for the bowl and lid handle lock.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ConfusingWizard posted:

It appears to be a glitch where you get the 10 piece set I got (with the big pans) PLUS a 5 qt enamaled dutch oven for.... $36.10!
Yeah, seems to be a error on their part, maybe due to the fact it should be linked to the 10pc set you bought which they deleted. I wish they had the larger 10pc set still around, because that would be perfect for me and all I'd need to do is buy a separate saute pan probably from cuisinart at amazon.

But even if it's an error that they'll honour if you call them up on it, not much good for me. Shipping a CI dutch oven would be insanely high in cost to Australia, also I have to use a buying agent to get anything from walmart and they would fix the error before I could arrange that.
I clicked buy on separate cuisinart multiclad pieces from Amazon, a 1.5+3qt saucepan, 5qt saute pan, 12" fry pan and 8qt stockpot with their estimated shipping, and I'll just buy an enameled cast iron dutch oven locally, which is my cheapest option.
Anxiously waiting for them to email me saying shipping will cost way way more, or just say nothing, bill my credit card and ship them to me for the quoted cost....
Also I went with the cuisinart for the fact it's easier to deal with amazon than walmart, plus they look slightly better, A nice rolled lip on the pans to make it easier to pour from I heard, like allclad, rather than wallmart's tramontina that had an edged lip, or so I've read while researching.

If that falls through, I'll use a buying agent to get the 12pc tramontina set from walmart for $299.97 + $209 shipping.

It's insane to me that allclad and multiclad and tri-ply have been around for years but no other country besides the USA even sells them in any number. I only got a return from looking up scanpan and cuisipro and they very rarely show up or have much of a range, the rest of the brands had nothing.

I even asked cuisinart.com.au if they ever plan to start distributing their multiclad line locally and had no response.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 8, 2013

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
I know I'm a little late to the conversation but an alternative to a standard slow cooker is a Roaster Oven. They're the same shape and do the same thing but they have actual temperature settings instead of just low/high.

The one we have from Nesco lets me set the temp anywhere from 150 - 450 and I don't have to worry about guessing what temp low or high means.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
This http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G is still one of my best bets for a doing relatively simple cooking (slow cooking & rice, maybe soup) for 1-3 people, right? At the moment I only have a somewhat-decent little rice cooker and a crock pot that mostly just annoys me. I'd like to get something that does better than both, takes up less space, and has electric timers. If I end up getting it, do any of you have good ideas for more uses for it?

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys

Fo3 posted:

I even asked cuisinart.com.au if they ever plan to start distributing their multiclad line locally and had no response.

Australian companies prefer to blame customers shopping overseas instead of offering us different options at realistic prices.

I ordered the MCP set from Amazon, and am more than happy with them. In comparison to every brand I have seen in Aust retailers the MCP is far superior in quality, and usually it was cheaper getting the pots shipped from US than buying here. Everything sold here seems to be celebrity endorsed crap.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zenzirouj posted:

This http://www.amazon.com/Fagor-670040230-Stainless-Steel-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B001A62O1G is still one of my best bets for a doing relatively simple cooking (slow cooking & rice, maybe soup) for 1-3 people, right? At the moment I only have a somewhat-decent little rice cooker and a crock pot that mostly just annoys me. I'd like to get something that does better than both, takes up less space, and has electric timers. If I end up getting it, do any of you have good ideas for more uses for it?

I haven't used that particular model or type, but pressure cooking is pretty great for anything from stocks to beans to braises. I have to agree that it's probably far better to spend real money on a pressure cooker than a crock pot.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Jerk Burger posted:

Australian companies prefer to blame customers shopping overseas instead of offering us different options at realistic prices.

I ordered the MCP set from Amazon, and am more than happy with them. In comparison to every brand I have seen in Aust retailers the MCP is far superior in quality, and usually it was cheaper getting the pots shipped from US than buying here. Everything sold here seems to be celebrity endorsed crap.

I just got an email from amazon, looks like I'm getting the 5 MCP pieces I want from there for $90 shipping.
I did get a reply from ca aust saying they won't have MCP but have something similar. edit:"Chef Ultimate Multi-Layer stainless steel" I tried searching for them and only got results for saucepans; so no skillets, saute pans, dutch ovens or stock pots.

What have I done? CA aust have even broken their website now, removed the pages for the s/s classic pans and the pro non stick pans!?

Zenzirouj posted:

I've got a different brand multicooker and I only use it for pressure cooking beans and steaming veg.
it's a metal tub and not very big, not suited to slow cooking in my opinion, doesn't cook low slow and gentle like ceramic slow cookers do, and size is an issue too, can't put big cuts of bone in meat in there. I still prefer oval ceramic slow cookers, and a stove top saucepan for rice.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 9, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
It's poor form to post after your self, but lets talk knives again.
I am a fan of knives without bolsters/guards and also made of steel that's had so hard it requires less sharpening.
I like my Felix knife, but they aren't sold anymore in Aus, wouldn't mind seeing some of those Eden kinives either so I will look into them but shipping from mainland Europe isn't cheap.
Victorinox here aren't that cheap either and from what I've read are soft steel and requires frequent sharpening plus have a bolster/guard.
Maybe a dumb question, but anyone here looked at the slitbar knifes (edit: from Ikea - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/14564/)? I would get a chefs knife, utility knife, cleaver, fillet and veg knife if they seem half decent. I love the look, designs and handle.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 9, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fo3 posted:

It's poor form to post after your self, but lets talk knives again.
I am a fan of knives without bolsters/guards and also made of steel that's had so hard it requires less sharpening.
I like my Felix knife, but they aren't sold anymore in Aus, wouldn't mind seeing some of those Eden kinives either so I will look into them but shipping from mainland Europe isn't cheap.
Victorinox here aren't that cheap either and from what I've read are soft steel and requires frequent sharpening plus have a bolster/guard.
Maybe a dumb question, but anyone here looked at the slitbar knifes (edit: from Ikea - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/14564/)? I would get a chefs knife, utility knife, cleaver, fillet and veg knife if they seem half decent. I love the look, designs and handle.

If you like bolsterless knives and prefer hard steel you should really just forget about european knives altogether and go Japanese.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toshitk24wa.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moao2gy24.html

if the Japanese style handles don't float your boat, there are also western handled ones

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/higykn24.html

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you like bolsterless knives and prefer hard steel you should really just forget about european knives altogether and go Japanese.
Yes, I prefer japanese style knives because they are hard steel and bolsterless.
But where to get that style near me?
I'm asking about the Ikea knives because they are cheap and there's an Ikea store near me :D
If after asking I get told they aren't very good, (and they don't need to be poo poo hot awesome for my home use I guess), then I'll look at more expensive knives and more expensive postage/shipping options. Thanks for the links to some knives though, gives me some ideas if the ikea knives are useless. First link ships only USA, second link out of stock, 3rd is a bit too pricey. But I'm not being nasty, maybe you didn't know I'm in Aus and suppliers here are terrible, don't carry much range, and over priced generally, and importing from anywhere except china/HK, and funnily enough the UK, costs a lot. USA, mainland Europe and other places have huge postage/shipping costs compared to UK and China/HK for us down here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 9, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Chan chi kee is a Hong Kong based company that make some fantastic carbon steel knives. I bought their cleaver through chefknivestogo for $60 and I use it daily at work, and it holds a razor sharp edge.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Chan chi kee is a Hong Kong based company that make some fantastic carbon steel knives. I bought their cleaver through chefknivestogo for $60 and I use it daily at work, and it holds a razor sharp edge.
I own four CCK cleavers of various types (okay, three cleavers and one butcher knife that looks like something you might get off a dead orc) and they're all pretty great. Lemme put it this way: I own both a CCK #1 small slicer (US$30 from the local Chinatown) and a Takeda cleaver (around US$400) and I use the CCK way more frequently.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

Yes, I prefer japanese style knives because they are hard steel and bolsterless.
But where to get that style near me?
I'm asking about the Ikea knives because they are cheap and there's an Ikea store near me :D
If after asking I get told they aren't very good, (and they don't need to be poo poo hot awesome for my home use I guess), then I'll look at more expensive knives and more expensive postage/shipping options. Thanks for the links to some knives though, gives me some ideas if the ikea knives are useless. First link ships only USA, second link out of stock, 3rd is a bit too pricey. But I'm not being nasty, maybe you didn't know I'm in Aus and suppliers here are terrible, don't carry much range, and over priced generally, and importing from anywhere except china/HK, and funnily enough the UK, costs a lot. USA, mainland Europe and other places have huge postage/shipping costs compared to UK and China/HK for us down here.

you clearly want the ikea knives. just buy the ikea knives that you want to buy. then you'll have purchased the ikea knives. that you wanted to buy. good luck goon.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

mindphlux posted:

you clearly want the ikea knives. just buy the ikea knives that you want to buy. then you'll have purchased the ikea knives. that you wanted to buy. good luck goon.
No I don't necessarily, just wondered if anyone had heard anything about them.
I have gone off the idea entirely due to not finding anything good about them, so disregard the ikea knives. I only considered them because I could have gone and picked them up today as I was in the area of the local Ikea store.
I'll probably have to order from amazon again and get either the plastic handled victorinox or the KAI knives.

Late edit: Hey Gravity84, what do you think about these?
Yes I prefer the western style handle.
Seems this place has a flat rate $7 worldwide shipping fee as well.
http://japanesechefsknife.com/page4.html
or these
http://japanesechefsknife.com/ProMSeries.html#PM-01

Looking at a 150mm petty and a 210mm Gyuto
Though the blade thickness on most 210mm gyutos worry me a bit and they seem to be 2mm.
I'll probably get a cleaver to, but will try the local chinese shops in the city first, if no luck, guess it's amazon again for me.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 10, 2013

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

evil spiff posted:

Anyone have any experience with Smeg ovens and or ranges? We are looking at 48 inch cooktops, possibly with oven(s) as well. We've looked at Viking (pricey, but awesome), and Smeg appears to be a relative newcomer to the states, so it's hard to find many reviews.

http://www.smegusa.com/product/a3xu6/

Quoting myself because I'm so great. Anyone have any experience with these? European goons, perhaps?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Late edit: Hey Gravity84, what do you think about these?
Yes I prefer the western style handle.
Seems this place has a flat rate $7 worldwide shipping fee as well.
http://japanesechefsknife.com/page4.html
or these
http://japanesechefsknife.com/ProMSeries.html#PM-01

Looking at a 150mm petty and a 210mm Gyuto
Though the blade thickness on most 210mm gyutos worry me a bit and they seem to be 2mm.
I'll probably get a cleaver to, but will try the local chinese shops in the city first, if no luck, guess it's amazon again for me.

They're both stainless and the gyuto is 60/40 beveled which could get annoying depending on your cutting style. Stainless steels are generally softer. I like Aogami and Shirogami steels. They are harder, though they can be prone to getting a patina. If you don't like that look, you might not like them. I think it looks cool so ymmv.

The CCK cleaver is as close to the ONETRUECLEAVER you are going to get this side of sperglordland (also sperglord price), though most of the spergs still prefer it. It is also a high carbon steel that will stain, but like I said, it's not really that big of a deal and some people like it.

I love my hiyashi dojo 80 mm paring

Hayashi Dojo 80mm paring by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

This is clad aogami super. The core is aogami (and consequently the edge is ao) but the surface is clad with stainless so it now looks stainless except for the edge which is a kind of blackish smoke color.

Of course it kind of matters what you plan on using the knife for. I use my tadatsuna petty more for things like deboning and stuff, so a stainless may be better suited to your tasks depending on what you plan on using it for. This one is a tadatsuna proprietary moly steel.

Tadatsuna 150mm petty by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

edit: and while I'm show and telling I guess I can show off my gyuto

gekko gyuto by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

It's damascus clad VG-10. I kinda wish I had gotten ao or shiro, and as such I plan on adding the tojiro gyuto at maybe 210mm to my "collection".

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 10, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Patina is the One True Option. You can force some pretty awesome looking designs for a patina, and carbon steel tends to be cheaper as well.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

A CCK small slicer with some patina on it ends up looking like something Pyramid Head would use for prep work.

And I'll second the recommendation for the Dojo paring knife. I think I'd prefer it without all the doodles on the blade, but I like the blade geometry. For me it was one of those cases where once I started using it I realised I actually disliked the paring knives I had been using but hadn't really noticed because I'd never had a paring knife that I did really like. If that makes sense.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

A CCK small slicer with some patina on it ends up looking like something Pyramid Head would use for prep work.

And I'll second the recommendation for the Dojo paring knife. I think I'd prefer it without all the doodles on the blade, but I like the blade geometry. For me it was one of those cases where once I started using it I realised I actually disliked the paring knives I had been using but hadn't really noticed because I'd never had a paring knife that I did really like. If that makes sense.

Makes total sense to me. I didn't really care for paring knives either until I got this one and I love it.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Tenderloin posted:

I just received an e-mail from Walmart Fulfillment.

They admit there was a mistake, but I apparently get to keep the enameled dutch oven, will get a full refund, and a $10 Walmart gift card. I'm not complaining.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

GrAviTy84 posted:

gekko gyuto by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

It's damascus clad VG-10. I kinda wish I had gotten ao or shiro, and as such I plan on adding the tojiro gyuto at maybe 210mm to my "collection".
Yeah I saw the Gekko knives at JCK, did consider it, maybe still will, it's just a shame they are sold out of the petty knife.
I've been doing this thing as I'm the world's most slowest shopper and never impulse buy. I usually spend weeks researching any purchase except food and booze, and you could even argue that case because by being in this forum I am researching them too.
Also looking into some carbon knives.

It's so tempting to pay just a little bit more for speccy looking knifes, but I'm going to be hard on myself and just buy something utilitarian, no damascus patterns or fancy stuff I think.
Edit: Though in thinking about it, I might get the masamoto CT carbon petty knife to try them out as a brand, and the gekko gyuro just for a 'thing' as it's the same price as most other decent gyutos anyway. Then I could know about even wanting a damascus pattern knife compared to a carbon, or even stainless knife in the future. As well as getting a feel for masamoto knives in general compared to another brand. My brain says just buy the cheapest though like fujiwara or hiromoto.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 11, 2013

ConfusingWizard
Apr 5, 2004
HURR I CLOSE MY THREADS IN SH/SC

GigaFool posted:

I just received an e-mail from Walmart Fulfillment.

They admit there was a mistake, but I apparently get to keep the enameled dutch oven, will get a full refund, and a $10 Walmart gift card. I'm not complaining.

Me too! I'm not complaining either... though I considered complaining and trying to get the whole set... but I'd rather just have my 40 bucks back and a free dutch oven I think. Glad some other people were able to get the same good deal.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Fo3 posted:

Yeah I saw the Gekko knives at JCK, did consider it, maybe still will, it's just a shame they are sold out of the petty knife.
I've been doing this thing as I'm the world's most slowest shopper and never impulse buy. I usually spend weeks researching any purchase except food and booze, and you could even argue that case because by being in this forum I am researching them too.
Also looking into some carbon knives.

It's so tempting to pay just a little bit more for speccy looking knifes, but I'm going to be hard on myself and just buy something utilitarian, no damascus patterns or fancy stuff I think.
Edit: Though in thinking about it, I might get the masamoto CT carbon petty knife to try them out as a brand, and the gekko gyuro just for a 'thing' as it's the same price as most other decent gyutos anyway. Then I could know about even wanting a damascus pattern knife compared to a carbon, or even stainless knife in the future. As well as getting a feel for masamoto knives in general compared to another brand. My brain says just buy the cheapest though like fujiwara or hiromoto.

The thing I wish I knew about damascus before buying mine is that most aren't really damascus at all. If you have a japanese vendor at all near you you should go try some japanese style handles. I was against them like you at first, but after trying some I wish I would have gotten one with a japanese handle.

If you end up liking it, honestly, the Tojiro ITK shirogami stuff is a friggin steal and a half.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I can vouch for Tojiro knives. I have their 10in sujihike and Japanese style boning knife. Both have a western style handle, the knives were sharp out of the box, barely needed sharpening, edge retention is great, and they have a nice look to them. I plan on picking up a 10in gyuto next.

If only they made a kiritsuke :(

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 12, 2013

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I have a wusthof chef's knife, tomato/ veggie serrated knife, and paring knife (and a bunch of junky knives) and no sharpener. I have no idea how to sharpen knives and don't want to mess them up but they're getting dull. Can anyone recommend a knife sharpener? Are those automatic electric ones good or should I get a manual sharpening stone or something?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Don't get an electric one get a stone and learn how to use it or find a place where you can get them done.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Plus_Infinity posted:

I have a wusthof chef's knife, tomato/ veggie serrated knife, and paring knife (and a bunch of junky knives) and no sharpener. I have no idea how to sharpen knives and don't want to mess them up but they're getting dull. Can anyone recommend a knife sharpener? Are those automatic electric ones good or should I get a manual sharpening stone or something?

If it worries you, just buy a honing steel for when you're at home and go have them sharpened by a professional every couple years.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Many places that duplicate keys will also have knife sharpening equipment, and it comes out to $5-6 or so for a kitchen knife

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Many places that duplicate keys will also have knife sharpening equipment, and it comes out to $5-6 or so for a kitchen knife
Or you could just attack your cutlery with an angle grinder until it glows red and cut out the middle man.

Anyone got any recommendations for lining kitchen drawers? I've pretty much always just used standard contact paper, but there's all kinds of other poo poo out there.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I use PVC foam anti-skid mat liner for just about everything.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Plus_Infinity posted:

This question comes up pretty frequently. Sharpening knives on a stone is not difficult, and for a home cook one $40 combo stone and an Idahone fine ceramic hone should keep all your knives extremely sharp for years. Quoting my own responses:

Gilgameshback posted:

Vis-a-vis knife sharpening - a steel or strop will theoretically only keep a blade sharp for a while. Eventually the blade will dull too much for the steel to straighten it. This is when you need to sharpen instead of hone.

I have a 1000/4000 grit Japanese water stone from Korin Trading Company. It works well for sharpening and polishing. It cost about $50. I know you can spend WAY more money than that on Japanese stones, and that more elaborate sharpening setups have many more stages of stone grit (like, 200, 800, 1000, 4000, 8000, 10,000), but this works well enough for me.

I also have a Lansky Gourmet ceramic rod system, which works very nicely. It cost about $10 less than the stone.

People on internet knife forums have VERY strong opinions about all these things, and it's pretty hard to sort the e-peen lunacy from the good information.

Gilgameshback posted:

Yes, honing and sharpening are totally different processes, as CC writes above. Honing straightens a wavy but still sharp edge, sharpening removes material to create a new edge. When honing no longer works you need to sharpen.

The problem is that many manufacturers of rod hones also don't distinguish between honing and sharpening - if you use an abrasive diamond hone or a "medium" steel hone with aggressive grooves you are removing material and, effectively, honing and sharpening at the same time. This may not matter to most people, but if you're already interested in sharpening your own knives you might as well learn it. If you get a hone, get one as close to smooth as possible.

For most non-obsessive home cooks a single waterstone in the 1000-4000 grit range should work fine. If you want a fairly complete setup you could get something like 220 - 1000 - 4000 - 8000 (Norton sells a decent set of exactly that; this kit from Chef Knives to Go is also well liked). Stone fineness does not increase in direct proportion with grit number - the difference between a 200 and a 1000 is much greater than the difference between a 1000 and 4000. Very coarse stones like the 220 remove a great deal of material, which helps rebuild ruined edges. This is not something that you will need very often unless you are a professional knife sharpener.

If you never hone and only use a 1000-grit waterstone to maintain your knife's edge you won't be hurting anything; that said, honing is much faster than sharpening on a waterstone.

If your knife is made of softer, German-style steel (Victorinox/Forschner, Henckels, Wusthof, etc.) then there is probably no reason to buy a stone with a grit much above 1000 - the steel is too soft to benefit from the polishing that very high grit stones provide.

Online knife-nut personality "Boar-D-Laze" has much to say about knives, steels, and sharpening at his website: http://www.cookfoodgood.com

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Gilgameshback posted:

This question comes up pretty frequently. Sharpening knives on a stone is not difficult, and for a home cook one $40 combo stone and an Idahone fine ceramic hone should keep all your knives extremely sharp for years. Quoting my own responses:

I've seen this said often but figuring out what angle to hold a knife at while using a stone and managing to keep it that way isn't all that easy. You pretty much start out dealing with a dozen or more variables and if the sharpening doesn't go well then good luck figuring out where things went wrong. It's not insurmountable but it's also not a simple thing to learn and can be phenomenally frustrating. Despite a great deal of effort I've never managed to get very good at it and wish there were classes available on the subject. Some hands on instruction would probably go a long way.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Oae Ui posted:

I've seen this said often but figuring out what angle to hold a knife at while using a stone and managing to keep it that way isn't all that easy. You pretty much start out dealing with a dozen or more variables and if the sharpening doesn't go well then good luck figuring out where things went wrong. It's not insurmountable but it's also not a simple thing to learn and can be phenomenally frustrating. Despite a great deal of effort I've never managed to get very good at it and wish there were classes available on the subject. Some hands on instruction would probably go a long way.

Seen this video? Old Japanese Global knife guy showing how to sharpen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te1KIpGyz-4

If youtube is working right, then after that video you're going to have a lot of related videos show up you can watch as well.
That being said, I'm just going to get a cheapy carbon steel chinese cleaver and sharpening stones and play with them before buying any expensive knives now. Learn to see if I can live with carbon steel in the kitchen and do any sharpening stuff ups on cheaper knives.
I was going to get into proper sharpening and getting stones myself years ago when i got interested in vintage razors and was looking at getting a straight edge razor. I did get a s/h razor and almost sliced my thumb in half when trying to polish off the rust, so that put me off them and that idea. But now I want decent kitchen knives, I guess it's time to get some sharpening stones and learn myself.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 12, 2013

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Thanks so much everyone!

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Oae Ui posted:

Well you could also get the Spyderco Sharpmaker, which takes care of the angles for you and is generally quite well liked.

I found that the key to sharpening knives on a stone was remembering that there is very little you can do to a kitchen knife that will permanently ruin it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Gilgameshback posted:

Well you could also get the Spyderco Sharpmaker, which takes care of the angles for you and is generally quite well liked.
The main drawback to the Sharpmaker is lack of flexibility---you can only use it to sharpen at two angles and you can only use it with their sharpening rods (and the ones it comes with aren't really suitable for re-profiling an edge).

You get the same general results by just using a standard sharpening stone, putting it on an flat surface, and then raising one end of the surface enough to put it at the angle you want. You then just have to keep the blade horizontal, as opposed to having to keep it vertical on the Sharpmaker.

If you want to get fancy you can use some scrap wood to make an adjustable angle thing with `presets' for whatever angles you personally use for sharpening:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
For anyone who ordered that cookware bundle from Walmart, you are definitely not getting anything other than the Dutch oven. However, customer service may offer to just let you keep it and refund the charge rather than shipping it back. My friend returned it before he got that e-mail, so he missed out on a free Dutch oven.

• Locked thread