Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

irlZaphod posted:

I'd love a 2D Metroid game on the 3DS. I hope that Arkham spinoff is good. I wasn't crazy about Aliens: Infestation, it was a bit too linear and just felt a bit boring.

There's 2 of the Castlevania DS games I haven't played, I guess. They would probably give me a fix if I could track them down.

I firmly believe Order Of Ecclesia is the best Castlevania game ever made.

--You should play it, is what I'm getting at here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey. HEY. X4, X5 and X8 were great. X6 and especially X7 can suck huge dicks in hell, though.

Command Mission was okay, for an FFX clone.

I don't get all the X6 hate.

X7 is pretty obvious, but to be honest it was just a failed experiment, its not a horrible game, but its not particularly great either.

At least the music was pretty consistently good though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ecclesia's okay. It still suffers from the same copy+paste problem as past DS Castlevanias. I don't understand why they copied and pasted so drat much.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ecclesia's okay. It still suffers from the same copy+paste problem as past DS Castlevanias. I don't understand why they copied and pasted so drat much.

They had no budget, Castlevania has been re-using sprites and artwork since Rondo of Blood because they never got enough money to re-do them between games.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Probably because they had about a $500 budget.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

What in particular is re-used besides enemies? I've only played in and Portrait of Ruin on the DS because I'm not a huge fan of touchscreen gimmicks and the first DS game has those in abundance. But I can't think of any reused assets besides enemy sprites and when they are used I think they look better, sort of touched upped between the two. It's a weird thing to gush about but Ecclesia has some fantastic spritework as well as the best double jump animation in any game, ever.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Saoshyant posted:

A Batman Arkham spinoff is coming to the 3DS (and Vita). It's a 2.5D Metroidvania thingy developed by Armature Studio. Before you dismiss it as "bleh, licensed spinoffs", keep in mind that Armature is headed by former Metroid Prime leads and, while this will be their first game, it's promising at least. Coming October 25.

What exactly does 2.5D mean other than "It's an early FPS before actual 3D models"?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pope Guilty posted:

What exactly does 2.5D mean other than "It's an early FPS before actual 3D models"?

2D plane, 3D models. The Rondo of Blood remake is 2.5D, for instance.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Or the new super mario bros games.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

YOURFRIEND posted:

What in particular is re-used besides enemies? I've only played in and Portrait of Ruin on the DS because I'm not a huge fan of touchscreen gimmicks and the first DS game has those in abundance. But I can't think of any reused assets besides enemy sprites and when they are used I think they look better, sort of touched upped between the two. It's a weird thing to gush about but Ecclesia has some fantastic spritework as well as the best double jump animation in any game, ever.

Pretty much all of the normal enemies are recycled though, and have been for like 3-4 games, so it's just gotten kind of stale at this point.

Aside from that, the real problem is that they recycle the areas of the game multiple times. Like there are two nearly identical 'mountain pass' areas, two nearly identical 'mountain' areas, two very similar water areas, and so on and so on.

There's also the major issue that Dracula's castle is very copy & paste, there are tons and tons of rooms even in the same area that are just slightly altered versions of themselves, and there are areas that are way, WAY too big for their own good (the library is huge, for example).

They also recycle the musics between areas too, though much of the time it's not a big deal because the areas are pretty short.

That being said I actually agree that OoE is the best of the DS Castlevania's by far. Dawn of Sorrow is not bad but suffers from really dumb touchscreen gimmicks which almost immediately makes me turn the game off. Portrait of Ruin is wasted by the fact that they never make good enough use of its unique mechanics, and that the ENTIRE second half of the game is a horrible boring rehash of the first half and it's so loving awful.

The biggest shame about OoE is that the end half of the game is nowhere near as good as the first part. The conclusion to the Crab Battle is just so amazing, but the rest of the game doesn't really manage to live up to it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

YOURFRIEND posted:

What in particular is re-used besides enemies?
Rooms and textures get re-used too. And I'm pretty sure there's two levels in the game that are virtually identical but recolored.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Why do enemies really matter in a Metroidvania anyways? You are gonna just blaze a trail straight through them, unless its like OoC where enemies were an actual threat.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

FoneBone posted:

Details on that Arkham game. Sounds awesome, at least on paper...

Well, we all remember the last Batman platformer on a Nintendo handheld and how that turned out.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Why would anyone remember whatever game you are talking about much less everyone?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I can't remember the last Batman platformer on a Nintendo system.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There was some Batman game on the DS that was supposedly rather good. Brave and the Bold, I think?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

kater posted:

Why would anyone remember whatever game you are talking about much less everyone?

Just testing y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBUgtFJxTrU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Barudak posted:

Also, if I remember correctly the gameplay for Bomberman Act Zero was basically the same unchanged core mechanics of Bomberman so the "gritty reboot" was basically just a slap of paint that did nothing to address the aging concept.
Act Zero did have a really ill-advised third person mode that made the game impossible to play. Man that game was dumb.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They were going to do a 'gritty' FPS reboot of the Mega Man X franchise.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter
huh..
I've beaten most of the classic Megaman games, I still wouldn't call myself a fan but if this Maverick Hunter ended up half as good as Metroid Prime I would have bought it. Turning Megaman into an FPS makes more sense than turning Metroid into an FPS and I think it could have turned out pretty great, but judging from the dash attack I get the feeling there was gonna be tons of quicktime events, and it only takes one quicktime event for me to start writing off a game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

WASDF posted:

Is there legitimate belief that the Circle Pad Pro XL isn't? That's a foolish thing to believe. If this were like some weird heart-rate sensor for a Suda51 Japan eShop only game but if they bothered bringing the original to America then they'll probably bring this one over too.

How many future games coming out support the Circle Pad Pro? Monster Hunter was the last one that I know of, if there was a time to release the circle pad pro XL in the US it was right before Monster Hunter was released. Yes it certainly could still come out in the US, but given that they haven't announced it I wouldn't hold my breath at this point.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Mega Man X needed a gritty reboot as much as Bomberman did.

Mega Man X was already a gritty reboot. This wouldn't be a gritty reboot - just a regular old reboot. And since the idea of continuity in Mega Man is hilarious, it would functionally be a sequel or spinoff.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
For the artistic types out there, the Korg synthesizer has been updated to the 3DS and is going to be released worldwide this summer. One of the new features is the ability to export midi-files to your SD-card, so you don't have to only record it raw off the DS anymore.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

To be totally clear, that's an update of Korg M01 which didn't come out in the US, and not a sequel to DS-10. Important distinction because they're simulating totally different pieces of hardware. The MS-10 is a subtractive analog synth while the M01 is just a fancy digital MIDI keyboard, which is totally not nearly as fun unless you just want to sequence some music on the go.

Here's a guy with one of each to highlight the difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYWUQtBTubQ

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
We've already got Mega Man 1-3 for VC and we'll soon have 4-6. If I want to get just one of these which is my best bet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FastestGunAlive posted:

We've already got Mega Man 1-3 for VC and we'll soon have 4-6. If I want to get just one of these which is my best bet?

Mega Man 2 is the best of those, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

FastestGunAlive posted:

If you want to play the original wierder one (wierder in the sense that it has a points system and only 6 robot masters), Buy the first one.
If you want to play everybody's favorite, get 2.
If you want to play what's probably the best one, get 3.
If you want the charge buster, get 4.
Don't bother with 5 or 6.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I meant to ask this a couple of weeks ago, but as someone who's not overly familiar with the Mega Man series, do Capcom really need to release 6 of them? Are they all radically different from each other to warrant it? I just feel that there are surely other games they could be releasing. I can't imagine people will drop cash on 6 Mega Man games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

I meant to ask this a couple of weeks ago, but as someone who's not overly familiar with the Mega Man series, do Capcom really need to release 6 of them? Are they all radically different from each other to warrant it? I just feel that there are surely other games they could be releasing. I can't imagine people will drop cash on 6 Mega Man games.

There's actually ten Mega Man games in all, discounting the Mega Man X ones. It's one of those franchises where everyone's got a favourite, and they're all different enough to be at least somewhat interesting.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hey. HEY. X4, X5 and X8 were great. X6 and especially X7 can suck huge dicks in hell, though.

Command Mission was okay, for an FFX clone.

Play it now. Seriously go back and play it. It really isn't that good.

Also to the dude going into surgery just buy Pokemon mystery dungeon or Luigis mansion if you want Star Fox. With the deal going now you could get two games for one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

irlZaphod posted:

There's a promotional element to them rushing out the Mega Man games - they're doing all sorts of MM-related crap this year as part of the 25th anniversary celebrations - but the simple answer is that all six MM games represent some of the most well-loved and biggest-selling third-party games ever released for NES, so they'd be nuts not to release them ASAP.

Also, when you go back and look at Capcom's NES output and rule out all the licensed games there aren't nearly as many "must-haves" as you might think. Here's the full list, minus any JP-only stuff:

quote:

1943: The Battle of Midway
Adventures in the Magic Kingdom
Bionic Commando
Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers
Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2
Code Name: Viper
Commando
Darkwing Duck
Destiny of an Emperor
Destiny of an Emperor II
DuckTales
DuckTales 2
G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Ghosts'n Goblins
Gold Medal Challenge
Gun.smoke
Legendary Wings
The Little Mermaid
Little Nemo: The Dream Master
Mega Man
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 4
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 6
Mickey Mousecapade
Mighty Final Fight
Section Z
Snow Brothers
SonSon
Street Fighter 2010
Strider
TaleSpin
Trojan
Willow
Yo! Noid

Now, here it is with all the licensed games removed (plus all the games that are out/will be out soon):

quote:

1943: The Battle of Midway
Bionic Commando
Code Name: Viper
Commando
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Gold Medal Challenge
Gun.smoke
Legendary Wings
Mighty Final Fight
Section Z
SonSon
Street Fighter 2010
Trojan

As you can see, there aren't really any heavy hitters on the same level as Ghosts 'n Goblins or Mega Man... Bionic Commando is probably the next best thing, but Capcom implied that there was some drama that kept it off the Wii VC, so who knows if it's a real possibility.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 10, 2013

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Oh I don't just mean NES stuff, I was thinking more of their later (and not Nintendo-hard) games. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised after they have released VC versions of pretty much every iteration of Street Fighter II on every single console. :sigh:

Basically what I'm getting at is that I haven't played the Oracle Zeldas (Capcom developed them, right?) and they should be releasing them. :argh: (Assuming it's up to them, and not Nintendo). But just in general, with how slowly VC games drip out, it would be nice to at least see some different stuff come out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The big hurdle at the moment is that the 3DS VC only supports NES, Game Boy and Game Gear, so they're only gonna be able to flood us with SF2 ports if and when Nintendo opens the VC up to more platforms.

RE: the Zelda Oracle games, Japan got them recently and the rest of us are getting them "this summer".

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The big hurdle at the moment is that the 3DS VC only supports NES, Game Boy and Game Gear, so they're only gonna be able to flood us with SF2 ports if and when Nintendo opens the VC up to more platforms.

RE: the Zelda Oracle games, Japan got them recently and the rest of us are getting them "this summer".

The 3DS VC also supports the GBA, half of the ambassador titles Nintendo made available were from the GBA, they're just not making them available for download commercially. (I'm bitter about it)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kaleidoscope posted:

The 3DS VC also supports the GBA, half of the ambassador titles Nintendo made available were from the GBA, they're just not making them available for download commercially. (I'm bitter about it)

Technically, they're not even VC games because the ambassador titles are played with leftover GBA hardware in the system as opposed to an emulator that supports suspend saves and sleep mode.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, honestly if they had started charging for them you'd probably be complaining about how hacky they are. They were cool little freebies for ambassadors but that's about it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Technically, they're not even VC games because the ambassador titles are played with leftover GBA hardware in the system as opposed to an emulator that supports suspend saves and sleep mode.
Is that really the case? I had just assumed that the emulator was unfinished or whatever.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A release of Gargoyle's Quest 2 on the VC would be excellent. Great game, that.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

gameday posted:

I'm going to purchase this now because of all of the words you wrote. Thank you.

Cool, let us know how you liked it!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Make Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones available to the store, why do you hate money Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Anybody remember the GBA release of Doom? I had it, and it wasn't half-bad. "Doom on the GO, holy crap!" was what I remember thinking back then. Would love to see it on 3DS eShop someday, but it won't happen.

• Locked thread