Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Sockmuppet posted:

my buttbaby turned out to be headbutting my ribs, not butt-butting them

I'm not actually sure if mine is headbutting or butt-butting my ribs. The docs haven't seemed to care about checking her position since the 20 week ultrasound (when she was head down but had tons of room to move). I assume she is butt-butting my ribs just based on the statistical probability that she's head down. I suppose we'll find out tomorrow at my 37 week appointment. Oh yeah, and I'm full term today! Woo!

Hope she flips for you so you don't have to worry about it. You've still got a lot of time.

hookerbot: I hope your baby gets to go home soon so you aren't having to deal with the stress of the NICU too much longer. Five pounds is an awesome weight for 34 weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

How many weeks are you?

28 full weeks, so she's got plenty of time to flip. 85 days in fact, thank you, annoying babycenter-app.

I definitely don't want the wrong kind of buttbaby, because then the 2400 kr we're spending on a natural birth class next month will be wasted.
I'm psyching myself up to pushing a baby out my vag, I'll be pretty grumpy if I have to get a c-section just because she's braced herself in there :mad:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

28 full weeks, so she's got plenty of time to flip. 85 days in fact, thank you, annoying babycenter-app.

I definitely don't want the wrong kind of buttbaby, because then the 2400 kr we're spending on a natural birth class next month will be wasted.
I'm psyching myself up to pushing a baby out my vag, I'll be pretty grumpy if I have to get a c-section just because she's braced herself in there :mad:

Oh yeah that's way early, she'll flip. I for some reason thought you were farther along. Anyway, you can still birth vaginally if you want to if she's breech. They'll measure your pelvis and if it's large enough you can choose what you want to do. Ahus is good with buttbabbies, I've heard. Just FYI if it ever comes to that.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

rectal cushion posted:

They'll measure your pelvis and if it's large enough you can choose what you want to do.

I'm pretty sure it's too small, unless I'm like the Tardis, i.e. bigger on the inside.

Thank you for buttbabby-info, I'm glad I'm in good hands if it should come to that.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Hookerbot, thinking good thoughts for you and your little girl.

I had my son a week ago today via c section and still have massive swelling in my lower legs, ankles and feet. I didn't have any swelling during pregnancy but I must be making up for it now. I'm wearing tent hose during the day and trying to keep my legs elevated as much as possible. My lower legs are so heavy I have to lift them by hand to get into bed. Any idea how long this will last?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I'd call your doctor right away; that doesn't seem healthy to me.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

An Cat Dubh posted:

Hookerbot, thinking good thoughts for you and your little girl.

I had my son a week ago today via c section and still have massive swelling in my lower legs, ankles and feet. I didn't have any swelling during pregnancy but I must be making up for it now. I'm wearing tent hose during the day and trying to keep my legs elevated as much as possible. My lower legs are so heavy I have to lift them by hand to get into bed. Any idea how long this will last?

Definitely call your OB.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Swelling like that is not normal, call ASAP to be seen. If you experience any pain on top of the swelling before you see your OB, go to the ER immediately.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Twatty Seahag posted:

Swelling like that is not normal, call ASAP to be seen. If you experience any pain on top of the swelling before you see your OB, go to the ER immediately.

Eh, she should call her OB anyway but my wife had the same thing and they said it was completely normal. It was likely due to being immobilised after the surgery.

An Cat Dubh, unfortunately for my wife it lasted at least a few weeks, maybe even more than a month. Her ankles were like balloons for quite a while.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Thanks for the replies everyone. They did say at the hospital it was normal to be swollen for possibly a few weeks. I did give the hospital a call after reading the replies here and they said to go to my GP if I get a headache or the swelling doesn't improve. It has gotten better since I left the hospital so I'll be keeping a close eye on it.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Oooooo congrats Dandy Shrew and hookerbot, I'm glad you both updated! Sorry things didn't go as planned for either of you but I'm glad you got healthy (if early and a little undercooked in hookerbot's case) babies out of it!

31 weeks today. Finally able to paint the baby's room tomorrow, and have my last childbirth prep class tonight. I went on the tour of the hospital on Sunday, brought my mom, and it was good to see everything. I'm in RI, so I totally take for granted that we have a Women & Infants hospital, so the whole hospital is geared toward this kind of thing! I was impressed with how quiet the L&D floor was, usually hospitals are all loudspeakers going off and monitors and doctors and nurses rushing about, but the L&D floor was almost full when we were there and it was still very quiet and somewhat relaxed, for a hospital. My mom had both my brother and I at this hospital, but it was so long ago and a different building, so she got a huge kick out of it.

Van Goober
Feb 28, 2005
If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

An Cat Dubh posted:

massive swelling in my lower legs, ankles and feet

I had this for about a week, from my waist down to my feet (which looked like two fat little hams). It really really helped me to sleep with my feet elevated on a stack of pillows, up a good two feet over the level of my heart.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR

sudont posted:

My mom had both my brother and I at this hospital, but it was so long ago and a different building, so she got a huge kick out of it.

I will be giving birth (assuming nothing crazy happens) at the hospital where I was born and where my mother was born and maybe my grandmother, but I'd have to check. What that kind of says to me is that my family has been stuck here for waaayyy too long. The hospital was founded in 1891, so it's theoretically possible a great-grandparent was born here too, but I'd suspect a home birth back then.

This thread has also made me incredibly thankful for my huge long torso. I'm 27 weeks now, and I didn't really start showing until a few weeks ago (more like "pregnant or fat??" kind of look) and can still get away with it when wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. No one's in my ribcage. No one's in my diaphragm. And the baby is measuring a week plus ahead. So hurray! I'll never complain about not being able to wear one piece swimsuits again. Maybe.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I also have a pretty long torso and I started really showing at about 22ish weeks. I'm 30 weeks now and pretty dang big and I don't understand how. A girl I work with who just gave birth a couple weeks ago is much shorter than me and even her at 37 weeks she was smaller than me at 27 or whatever I was at-- and it is my first and her second.

No idea how it works. Maybe her baby decided he was going to squish her insides around more and my baby just decided to grow out and leave more room for everything else in there. Who knows. :)

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
The swelling is so much better today and almost all gone. Looks like my little guy has blocked tear ducts in both eyes. Anyone else have experience with this?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

An Cat Dubh posted:

The swelling is so much better today and almost all gone. Looks like my little guy has blocked tear ducts in both eyes. Anyone else have experience with this?

Yes. Squirt some breastmilk in there or on your finger tip and gently drop and massage it in. It sounds silly, but it actually works. If not that try gently massaging with a warm baby wash cloth.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 22, 2017

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Thank you ladies! I'm trying the breast milk. Fingers crossed. Poor guy's eyes are practically glued shut and they gunk up 5 minutes after cleaning them.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/Carters-Recalls-Infant-Clothing-with-Zippers/

Recall of certain Carter's onesies with zippers.

quote:

Recall Details

Units

About 218,000
Description

This recall involves eight styles of one-piece, footed cotton clothing for infants made by Carter’s. They have a zipper from the foot to the neck and were sold in sizes newborn, 3, 6 and 9 months. Baby B’gosh®, Child of Mine® made by Carter’s or Just One You® made by Carter’s is printed on the fabric inside the neck area. The style number is printed on a side seam label.

Brand Style Number Description
Baby B’gosh 414-208 Yellow with white quarter moons and gray and white stars print.

Child of Mine 715-839 Baseball-style, white with blue stripes, yellow accents and “Little Brother” printed on the chest.

Just One You 520-242 White background with navy stripes and green neck binding. Sold as a 2-pack with:

597B537 Light blue with a nautical and green crabs print and “Captain Cutie” on the left chest.

520-243 White with a pink cupcake print. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B538 Pink with small polka dots and a bunny ballerina on the left chest.

520-244 White with green stripes and an elephant and duck on the left chest. Sold as 2-pack with:

597B539 White with a gray elephant, gray bear, green frog and yellow duck print.

Incidents/Injuries

None reported
Remedy

Consumers should immediately take the recalled clothing away from infants and return it to Carter’s for a full refund.
Sold at

OshKosh B’gosh, Walmart and Target nationwide from December 2012 through January 2013 for between $7 and $20. Baby B’gosh sleepwear was also sold online at https://www.oshkoshbgosh.com.

cross posted to parenting thread.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

38 weeks tomorrow and the baby decided to drop some over the weekend. My husband now asks if we need to go to the hospital every time I say "ouch". Still not feeling much else that points to labor so I'm leaning towards her showing up later rather than sooner but it's nice to have some of the pressure off my ribs finally.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My Beco Gemini finally arrived and I tried it on. Amazing! It is soooo much more comfortable than the Bjorn, and baby is definitely much better supported.

Then literally less than 2 minutes after I put it on, one of the buttons snapped right off of the thing. :what: So looks like it will be the Bjorn for at least another week.

e: I am curious actually, you can't tell from the instructions, but are the black straps that are attached to the shoulder straps supposed to go under the flap or over the flap when you're using the front-facing position? Over the flap, the buttons just came unsnapped right away, but under the flap lead to the button just breaking entirely.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 16, 2013

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

That stinks, papercut, but I'm glad you like it! I don't have the Gemini, but I just wore my Beco Butterfly II again yesterday for a few hours at the mall, and it was so comfortable! Not even a twinge in my back.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I can't believe Stephen is already 7 months old already. He's trying to crawl, but gets frustrated and instead, tries to stand. Both my husband and I were walking by 9 months, so I'm anticipating him being an early walker, too. We got him a walker and he runs around the house in it and is already getting into everything.

He's teething, too. Drooling a ton, gnawing on everything and sometimes fussy. Orajel helps a ton, thankfully. He doesn't like cold teething rings, though. I think the temperature difference freaks him out.

We've started to give him some baby food. He loves everything but green beans so far. I also took him to PA to meet my family. He did great on the plane, thankfully. Only one meltdown on the end of the flight to PA, and he slept the entire way back. My family loves him dearly and everyone cried when they met him.

Joe deployed, but we've kept in touch using Skype and Stephen still recognizes his daddy (thank God). My in-laws are being wonderful, and I've started working again. I'm a secretary at my MIL's business, and work 3 days a week for 4 hour shifts. It's basically an extra $200 a month, but it helps a lot of with the baby's needs, and it's nice to get out of the house for a little bit.

I've also lost the baby weight. I weighed 190 when I had him, and I'm down to 155. I was originally 150 pre-pregnancy, but I love the bit of extra curves, wider hips, and I have enough definition to make me feel confident.

All in all, things are going well. I can't get over how much older Stevie looks than he actually is.

Stephen at 7 months

Myself, 7 months postpartum

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Please consider using other methods besides Orajel for teething pain.

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm250024.htm

quote:

Benzocaine products should not be used on children less than two years of age, except under the advice and supervision of a healthcare professional. Healthcare professionals and consumers are advised to consider the American Academy of Pediatrics’ recommendations for treating teething pain instead of using the benzocaine teething products:1,2

Give the child a teething ring chilled in the refrigerator.
Gently rub or massage the child’s gums with your finger to relieve the symptoms of teething in children.
If these methods do not provide relief from teething pain, consumers should talk to a healthcare professional to identify other treatments.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2017

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Chickalicious posted:

Please consider using other methods besides Orajel for teething pain.

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm250024.htm

He gnaws on teething rings so long as they aren't cold. I have no idea why he won't use anything we put in the fridge first. I also heard of teething biscuits? They're supposedly really, really hard, and the baby can gnaw on them and they'll dissolve over time? My MIL said she used them, but I can't find them anywhere.

IrishHeathen
Jun 30, 2005

Lullabee posted:

Tips for teething? We got Collin one of those razberry teethers but its too big for him. He's drooling a ton, plus myself, my siblings, my fiancé, and his siblings all teether at 2/3 months, so I'm sure that's what it is. I also got the watermelon freezer thing but he can't really hold anything well yet.

We used those little mesh feeder/teether things. They were amazing for Izzy. We'd put breastmilk or baby food puree into ice cube trays and freeze it, then pop it in the mesh teether and give it to her. She'd gnaw on it for ages. You can find them online or in most stores. Another thing we did was wet a washcloth and freeze it and let Izzy chew on that.
Teething can be a bitch :(

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 22, 2017

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Tips for teething? We got Collin one of those razberry teethers but its too big for him. He's drooling a ton, plus myself, my siblings, my fiancé, and his siblings all teether at 2/3 months, so I'm sure that's what it is. I also got the watermelon freezer thing but he can't really hold anything well yet.

By the way, he turned 2 months on Monday and is massive! Next appointment is the 26th, and I'm sure hell be double his birth weight.

Oh, on the carrier talk- the one I was given is an older model ergo, and therefor does not have the snap at the top. Any suggestions of where I could get a snap close thing to use instead? They don't sell the replacements anymore. :(

Keep in mind that at around 3 months babies' salivary glands start developing full force so they become more drooly and constantly shove fists into their mouths. I was an early teether and both kids showed signs of it, but my son just got his first tooth to come through last week (at 8.5 months) and my daughter didn't get her first teeth until after a year.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

CravingSolace posted:

He gnaws on teething rings so long as they aren't cold. I have no idea why he won't use anything we put in the fridge first. I also heard of teething biscuits? They're supposedly really, really hard, and the baby can gnaw on them and they'll dissolve over time? My MIL said she used them, but I can't find them anywhere.

You can find them at Target, Earth's Best wheat teething biscuits or something. They're not as hard as you'd think they'd be, so be careful if your kiddo isn't a very good chewer yet. I stopped using them when Chris got into the habit of biting on them and then yanking them out of his mouth and he scraped his gum pretty bad one night with the jagged end of a biscuit. Babies bleed a surprising amount out of their mouths.

Honestly I think the thing Chris liked gnawing on the most while he was teething was the cap of a Gatorade bottle (still on the bottle of course). Whenever my husband finished one he would go to town gumming away, I think the ridges on the edge of the cap were just enough to itch his gums, and the bottle was nice and big and easy to hold on to.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Nuby makes a silicone teether that I swear by. It's light, easy to hold, a little smaller for when their mouths are still small, is easy to attach to a paci clip, and has soft bristles. I think the key is how soft it is on tender gums.

edit: http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Silicone...ilicone+teether

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 17, 2013

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 22, 2017

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Re: sharp little things - When I'm working my little dude goes to a daycare run by a friend of mine, she called me all excited a few weeks ago because "He just got his first tooth! OMG!" and then called me again a few minutes later to tell me that she is a doofus and really it was just a hard, sharp little bit of gum. A little raised area that felt like tooth. She was so disappointed that it wasn't, heh.

I use these little flavoured rusks or these teething rusks now that he can hold them himself, but even when he was wee I would let him gnaw on one, I would hold it and just let him gum it up. They are almost like a hard little breadstick.

I got told that frozen pizza crust is also good for them to chew on because it's hard to chew generally. We don't eat pizza often enough to test that theory though.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
A friend used cold celery for teething. Obviously you want to keep an eye out in case they take chunks off, but it was pretty effective for them. Gross thing: if it got limp and warm, she'd just toss the stick back in the fridge and rotate it with another that was in there.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
Any suggestions for vegetarian dietary iron additions? I bought raw pumpkin seeds because the internet seemed to like those, but I'd like more variety. I'm currently traveling for work, so things like blackstrap molasses are harder to come by and/or use.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you weren't traveling, I'd suggest making sesame seed milk. I drank it when I was pregnant. Its a good source of iron and calcium (you have to use unhulled seeds)

You could get some unhulled ones and throw them on a salad.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/467747-what-is-the-nutritional-difference-between-hulled-unhulled-sesame-seeds/

"A 1 tbsp. serving of hulled sesame seeds contains 5 mg of calcium and 0.51 mg of iron. While the same size serving of unhulled sesame seeds contains 88 mg of calcium and 1.31 mg of iron."

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Spinach usually isn't too hard to find, and lentils are a surprisingly good source as well.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
So is quinoa, which may be difficult to find while traveling. My midwives are big fans of Floradix if you decide you need a supplement.

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
I'm already eating lots of spinach on my salads. The Trader Joe's here has some quinoa in packaged salads (not so much quinoa) but they might also have microwavable quinoa. I'll have to check tomorrow. Sesame seeds have less iron that the pepitas, so I didn't buy any today.

I'm also trying to think of how I can work blackstrap molasses into anything. There's also a Whole Foods here, and I'm willing to bet they would have it. But it's not like I'm going to drizzle it one top of my black bean burgers or add it to my burrito. Would it be horrific in yogurt mixed with fruit? The only experience I've had with it was added to oatmeal, and it made it sticky and horrifying. I'd love to bake some bread or something with it or disguise it by mixing it with cream cheese, but that could be tough too.

Fortified cereals are out too because I'm GF. Is there some hippie GF cereal fortified with iron that tastes delicious? I could be persuaded to eat cereal for dinner on occasion.

At worst I'm home in a week and can make some molasses bread with hippie cream cheese and pepitas or something. Or just eat huge salads of spinach and quinoa, which sounds awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Spinach might not be the best for iron...

http://www.uamshealth.com/?id=883&sid=1

Soybeans are a good source-- well, any beans are really. :)