Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

That works. I'll check it out then. Thanks.

AFAIK Evernote still doesn't have a Linux desktop option.

The Windows client works quite well via Wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
Anyway to backup my pictures to my home server automatically each night? My wife takes a ton of pictures but usually only syncs it once a week. I want an extra layer if something happens. I can't believe crash plan or one of the other cloud backup companies haven't implemented something like this. I'd love be to be able to backup my phone directly to my crash plan account.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You can set dropbox to do it automatically, pretty simple to set up.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I'm looking for a personal finance app along the lines of moneywise but with a few extra features.

-use the camera to scan receipts for auto input as well as keep a copy for records
-ability to tag and search thru expenses
-mileage tracker
-configurable autobackup into cloud services like box or dropbox or google drive

Preferably does not require access to accounts like mint does.

Anyone with suggestions?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

lostleaf posted:

I'm looking for a personal finance app along the lines of moneywise but with a few extra features.

-use the camera to scan receipts for auto input as well as keep a copy for records
-ability to tag and search thru expenses
-mileage tracker
-configurable autobackup into cloud services like box or dropbox or google drive

Preferably does not require access to accounts like mint does.

Anyone with suggestions?

This sounds like it does much of what you want: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.me.mobiexpensifyg&hl=en

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's disabled for new users and gets completely shut down on May 1st for everyone else.
That's... really scummy. And irritating, since I just moved everything over from ColorNote (which is a pretty good note app) a couple of months ago.

I went to the Play page for Epistle to give a negative review, but you need Google+ to leave a review :ughh:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't used GB in a while. D: I kind of want to grab some cheap Android phone (doesn't even need to be used as a phone) just to compare things.

Or maybe fire up the Android SDK Emulator...that's much cheaper.

If you want to see some froyo do the amazon test drive an app, it starts a web based emulator, you can hit the home button and go to the launcher/settings.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_i=1000667581

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Nask26 posted:

Anyway to backup my pictures to my home server automatically each night? My wife takes a ton of pictures but usually only syncs it once a week. I want an extra layer if something happens. I can't believe crash plan or one of the other cloud backup companies haven't implemented something like this. I'd love be to be able to backup my phone directly to my crash plan account.

Honestly, I'm using Dropbox for this (they link to many different ways to run it on multiple accounts etc if that's necessary ), have Dropbox syncing onto the home server (allowing speedy LAN sync as well), then backing up my entire Dropbox folder. That's a good idea in any case. Periodically, I just move a bunch of photos out of the Dropbox Camera Uploads folder and into an archive folder outside of dropbox (but still backed up).

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is there anyway to not appear/hide from certain contacts on Whatsapp without deleting their numbers from my address book?

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.
Has anyone come across a minimalist Keep widget? Something along the lines of Simple Calendar.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/04/07/babel-chat-name-confirmed-again-new-google-play-4-0-makes-another-appearance/

Looks like the "Babel" name is confirmed as Google's new unified chat service coming soon.

Also, the Play Store revamp is a thing now even more. Looks like it was 100% confirmed by a YouTube developer on Google+...who then deleted her post.

This all might come next month, but knowing Google, probably late this month or mid-April. I don't care. I just want it now. :(

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
The best part of the new Play store will be only having 2 of the 6 areas actually work here in New Zealand.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Thanks but it appears that expensify does not do any budgeting which moneywise does.

I'm hoping for an app that takes a pic of the receipt. I would then tag it, and it would appear as an debit in the appropriate category in my personal budget. I would also be able to take a pic of a check which would appear as a credit in the appropriate category.

Yes, I'm that lazy. If some program combines the functionality of both moneywise and expensify it would be perfect.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

lostleaf posted:

Thanks but it appears that expensify does not do any budgeting which moneywise does.

I'm hoping for an app that takes a pic of the receipt. I would then tag it, and it would appear as an debit in the appropriate category in my personal budget. I would also be able to take a pic of a check which would appear as a credit in the appropriate category.

Yes, I'm that lazy. If some program combines the functionality of both moneywise and expensify it would be perfect.

Ah, yeah, I don't know of any app that does all that in one. Would be really cool, though. Personally, for budgeting, I just use Mint.com, and since I pretty much use credit or debit cards to pay for everything, it's all automatic.

NewcastleBrown
Mar 15, 2004
The One and Only
Something keeps turning on my WiFi, but I don't know what. Is there an app that logs stuff like that so I can tell what I installed that is enabling WiFi?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Is there a good app to record my screen while I'm gaming? For reference, using a rooted Nexus 10. Preferably free, but don't mind paying if the price is right.

Thanks in advance.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Is there a good app for creating flashcards on my computer and then using them on my phone?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is there a good app for creating flashcards on my computer and then using them on my phone?

You want Anki.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

You're god drat right.

:hfive:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I finally got around to activating Carbon...but what the hell was the point of installing something on Windows to enable it? Carbon had been sitting on my tablet for the longest time because I was too lazy to go through with connecting it to my PC, and then I finally get around to connecting it and running the Carbon Windows application and am told afterwards that I no longer need to hook up my tablet to my PC to backup.

So what the hell, Carbon? All I was interested in doing in the first place was backing up to Dropbox, why did I need to "activate" the app while tethered to a computer? :argh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Because initiating the adb backup command locally on the device requires root privileges.

Edit: And unless he found a sneaky way of bypassing it, if you reboot your phone you'll need to initiate the app again via PC. It's not the fault of the app or the dev, it's how Android security works.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 9, 2013

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a homescreen widget like Zooper that lets me edit the widget on my PC and then export the configuration to my phone? I want to like Zooper, but it's just way too much work to get anything the way you want it to look with a touchscreen interface. I want to use a mouse and keyboard.

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
I'm looking for a pdf-viewer that will let me have multiple files open at once and allow easy switching between them. I'm imagining something like how browsers have tabs you can switch between. It would be a plus if it can open other document types aswell, but PDF is what I'm gonna use mostly.

Thanks in advance!

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm looking for something that allows me to diagram notes via touch. Thanks!

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
This is a weird request. Our area has been having problems with the police, specifically them making things up and violating peoples civil rights but oops, the dash cam recordings disappear mysteriously and I know of two people who had their phones taken and videos deleted by cops. Its perfectly legal to record police here.

So what I'm looking for is an app that will at the very least record audio/video and simultaneously upload it somewhere. Preferably it would be able to start a recording, lock the device and keep recording.

The only thing I've seen is the NYCLUs Stop and Frisk app but its intended for use only in NYC and by bystanders, not the people being interacted with. I think it also only uploads when the recording is stopped which still leaves it open to tampering by a cop. Thanks.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.aclunj.policetape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a85JsJZsdIM&t=60s

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Users also viewed: "Police Light LED"

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Android App Thread: DO NOT USE FOR BAD

That's pretty impressive. This is why I read this thread.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

brc64 posted:

Android App Thread: DO NOT USE FOR BAD

That's pretty impressive. This is why I read this thread.

This would be an amazing thread title.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It gets better: there's a Pro version:

quote:

TASER you can use police taser
LED Lights: Red, Blue, White, and more types
SIRENS: Police more sirens and funny sirens
POLICE RADIO: Its Help to you protect bad guys
CARALARMMODE: If movement detected alarm works
Just use it and enjoy

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Karthe posted:

I finally got around to activating Carbon...but what the hell was the point of installing something on Windows to enable it? Carbon had been sitting on my tablet for the longest time because I was too lazy to go through with connecting it to my PC, and then I finally get around to connecting it and running the Carbon Windows application and am told afterwards that I no longer need to hook up my tablet to my PC to backup.

So what the hell, Carbon? All I was interested in doing in the first place was backing up to Dropbox, why did I need to "activate" the app while tethered to a computer? :argh:
To expand on what Maker of Shoes said, all that the Carbon app does is provide a shell for the ADB backup command. You don't even need the app to do what it does if you want to do everything via command line/terminal in ADB on your PC. That's the crux though, you can't run certain ADB commands locally without running being rooted and so you must run the backup command from a computer running the ADB shell. The fact that all of this is abstracted to the user is the point of having an app and the limitations you're seeing are due to real and well-addressed security protocols not bad coding on Koush's part.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Is there an app like Trackthisforme which has a widget for adding 1 to whatever you're tracking?

I want to be able to tap a single button whenever I smoke a cigarette.

Trackthisforme wants you to enter a value every time, which seems kind of dumb if that value is always "1".

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

To expand on what Maker of Shoes said, all that the Carbon app does is provide a shell for the ADB backup command. You don't even need the app to do what it does if you want to do everything via command line/terminal in ADB on your PC. That's the crux though, you can't run certain ADB commands locally without running being rooted and so you must run the backup command from a computer running the ADB shell. The fact that all of this is abstracted to the user is the point of having an app and the limitations you're seeing are due to real and well-addressed security protocols not bad coding on Koush's part.
What you and Maker of Shoes said makes sense. How does the Carbon app retain the ability to run the ADB backup command on the device if it typically needs to be rooted or connected to a PC? I don't know enough about ADB to make sense of the fact that a one-time connection to a PC is all that's needed to make the app work on the device from that point forward, tethered or not.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I swear I read some news story about someone getting arrested because they actually pulled over another driver using police light for bad. Coming up with nothing on google.

fuf posted:

I want to be able to tap a single button whenever I smoke a cigarette.

I found these 2:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=digitalfish.counter&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImRpZ2l0YWxmaXNoLmNvdW50ZXIiXQ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...nRlcndpZGdldCJd

I had been doing good on not smoking, not so great lately. I had/have an idea of getting an nfc bracelet, it's there all the time to remind me not to smoke and then if I do I would have some type of counter go +1 when I tap the bracelet.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 10, 2013

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Does anyone here use feedly for RSS reading? I recently started using it and I love the look and feel. Problem is that it seems to use an inordinate amount of data? Has anyone noticed this or is my sense of what would be normal usage for an RSS reader skewed? According to data usage montior (the native android one) I've used 147MB in about 2.5 days on feedly alone.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
It's spring time and I've decided to do some cleaning of my music. I've been using iTunes for years and it worked fine for me. But as I change files, update files to better rips, etc. iTunes is becoming a pain. I need a suggestion for a new music player. I would like it to be cross-platform, Windows and Linux. I would also love for it to handle my podcasts, where I can hook my phone up and it will update the play position to the player on my computer and I can finish listening to it. Suggestions?

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Does anyone here use feedly for RSS reading? I recently started using it and I love the look and feel. Problem is that it seems to use an inordinate amount of data? Has anyone noticed this or is my sense of what would be normal usage for an RSS reader skewed? According to data usage montior (the native android one) I've used 147MB in about 2.5 days on feedly alone.

How many articles do you usually load when you get on? I use Feedly most weekday mornings on the way in to work and it loads probably 40 headlines and out of those I read one or two. In the past month it's only used about 20 mb.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

What you and Maker of Shoes said makes sense. How does the Carbon app retain the ability to run the ADB backup command on the device if it typically needs to be rooted or connected to a PC? I don't know enough about ADB to make sense of the fact that a one-time connection to a PC is all that's needed to make the app work on the device from that point forward, tethered or not.
The PC client starts an elevated ADB process. Once that process is running, it is available for Carbon to keep using. If you reboot your phone, the process is killed and you have to restart it using a PC.

Terrible analogy: It's sort of like if you try to run an application as an admin on your (Windows) PC and your IT guy comes along and puts the admin password in for you. You can keep using that application with admin permissions for as long as you want even though you don't know the password and your IT guy went back to his basement/cave/pod. But if you close it or restart your PC, you have to call him again (and then he hates you). Now imagine that your PC is your phone, you are Carbon, your IT guy is your PC and the application is ADB.

I'm sure that made things a lot clearer :dance: .

The reason this limitation exists is because if any old app could go around running ADB backup commands then they could pull data for other apps on your phone and transmit them to China or whatever. This could be protected behind a permission when installing the app but it's pretty dangerous because people just skip over those. There is almost no legitimate case for an Android app needing to run these ADB commands.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Why the gently caress is every single app I've ever installed in the "my apps" list? :psyduck:

Most of it is junk poo poo I removed 5 minutes after installing.

How do I remove them all? I can't see anything on the web interface, and the app wants me to do them one by one which is gonna take forever.

Also is there a way of getting music on the SD card uploaded to google music? I didn't realise google music was available outside the US now. It's pretty awesome.

Sorry for the retarded questions, I'm doing my bi-annual rom flash and search for cool new apps.

e: vvv sweet, thanks

fuf fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

fuf posted:

How do I remove them all? I can't see anything on the web interface, and the app wants me to do them one by one which is gonna take forever.

Long press on one of them (in the app, obviously) and it'll go into multi-select mode so you can nuke a bunch at once.

• Locked thread