Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I get the chain. But why is the blade a sickle? It is just used to cut people who are tied up, so why can't any type of blade be used?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

I get the chain. But why is the blade a sickle? It is just used to cut people who are tied up, so why can't any type of blade be used?

I think a lot of these weapons are supposed to have been based on farm equipment, since it would be illegal for peasants to have swords or something? Not sure if that applies here though.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

McNerd posted:

I think a lot of these weapons are supposed to have been based on farm equipment, since it would be illegal for peasants to have swords or something? Not sure if that applies here though.

Most weapons that aren't swords or spears usually started out as farm equipment/common items. I'd be surprised if this weren't the case for the kusarigama as well. As far as I know, it wasn't illegal for peasants to have a weapon but they were prohibitively expensive. This is pretty much the same in the east and the west. A sickle is also a pretty drat fine weapon given that it has a sharp point and can rip flesh pretty easily when it hits. Entangle and then gouge your blood vessel of choice? :getin:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The kama started out as just a small hand scythe/sickle, and the kusarigama branched off from kama.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Serious Frolicking posted:

Because it's a ninja weapon. Ninja weapons are all based on farm equipment, because actual shinobi were just pretending to be peasants or whatever. A kunai is just a sharpened trowel.

So a peasant would have a regular little sickle for harvesting, but actually be hiding the chain part, which is what makes it a dangerous weapon.

Or course, it's been turned into a sort of generic weapon that ninja carry even if they're not pretending to be peasants, just like the kunai. But that's where it comes from.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So I just saw this animation of an older fight today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tns3-QkzazM

Man, what a badass combat scene; Killer Bee does not gently caress around. I really wish he would fight more with that bizarre knife stance, he produces results that is practically poetry in motion.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Springtime of Youth 22: http://mangastream.com/read/rock_lee/32387355/1

Poor Tenten, always with the worst luck. :smith:

Also, I guess I'm literally a child, because I laughed so hard at that panel with Yamato.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's fine, we can all be children together.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
I threw a frog rasen shuriken at the moon loving problem solved.

e: anime is lame and got into a discussion with a friend and I was complaining about how lame I think the storyline is and has been since mid chuunin arc. then I said "Madara" and he was all "eheheheh" so I had to read up.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
If anyone's keeping track of the english dub, they recently released up to episode 180 of Shippuden.

Nilryna
Jan 2, 2004

=^o^=

Sai stole the show with "The face doesn't matter as long as the body's rockin' :heysexy:"

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
I really hope we get some frames of chakra cloaked Sai in the upcoming chapters, can you imagine if he used it to draw the Kyuubi or something equally great? It'd be better than anything Sakura is inevitably going to do that's for sure.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

milktwice posted:

I really hope we get some frames of chakra cloaked Sai in the upcoming chapters, can you imagine if he used it to draw the Kyuubi or something equally great? It'd be better than anything Sakura is inevitably going to do that's for sure.

Have they ever spoke about any restrictions on Sai's power? In the game at least it seems like every drawing is a shadow clone, more or less, that poofs away as soon as it touches something. Has he drawn people before?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Apparently a late chapter.

Heres some spoilers

Even though Itachi never heard Hashirama himself, he was the follower of his will. ( like Hashirama wouldn't hesitate to kill brother, friend or family to protect the village. )

Sasuke : "For a Uchiha to be the one who understands you the most is really ironic."

Tobirama had mutliple subordinates and one of them was called Uchiha Kagami.
Shisui is one of Kagami descendant.

Hiruzen : "As a Hokage, I did nothing but failures."

Minato : "I couldn't answer everyone's expections."

Orochimaru : "And they even ignored me." ( As Hokage, he was never choosed.)

Hashirama : "What are you going to do Sasuke ?"

After hearing answers from the past, Sasuke is more determined.

"I won't let Itachi turns to nothing."

Sasuke turns his Sharingan on and heads to the battlefield.

Karin enters as she sense Sasuke's chakra.

She attacks Suigetsu as he was starting to run away.

柱間の意思を直接聞いたわけでもないイタチが受け継ぐものだった
柱間を一番理解した忍びがうちは一族だったとは皮肉だなと言うサスケ
扉間の部下にはうちはカガミと言うイタチと同じ様な忍びが居た カガミの子孫はシスイ 
3代目は火影として失敗ばかりしてしまったという、 4代目も期待にこたえられなくてと言う。
大蛇丸は嫉妬し「あたしを差し置いてなったのにね」と言う

サスケはどうするか柱間に聞かれた

サスケは走馬燈のように過去の記憶思い出しながら決断

イタチを無にはさせないと言う
全員で戦場へ向かう事を決意

カリンがサスケのチャクラを感知し登場 逃げようとした水月に攻撃w

まだ少し有るけどココまでしかよめてない

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/627

e: The first pouting :D

Kild fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 10, 2013

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL
Why is it not next week now? :stare:

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
This might be the best Naruto has been in a long time.

Even if Sasuke is going to be "redeemed" or whatever, 4 Immortal Hokage... Madara is so hosed.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Madara is about to get his poo poo kicked in, and it's going to be glorious! :getin:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Holy hell... Sasuke had a loving sane reaction for once. There's gotta be more to this, there's something for Naruto to do here surely. I wonder if it is just Mangapanda being mangapanda, but did Hashirama say that Tobirama had the Flying Thunder God technique? I liked the idea that it was the Fourth's original creation. :(

But who cares about that?! Four Hokage zombies, ready to kick some rear end! :hellyeah:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love the reaction of The 4 strongest zombies! The 3 strongest monsters...and an idiot! going after madara. Its amazing how just about everyone were suddenly redeemed on the course of a single chapter

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
Karin takes being a beaten spouse to the next level. It's kind of creepy, but whatever, feel good moment, Sasuke says something not stupid for once and everyone goes to punch Madara into the floor.

I'm not sure Sasuke and his merry zombie army is even necessary to change the outcome of the war at this point but hey.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

No, this is loving stupid: http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/627/15. We're definitely trapped in an infinite genjutsu right now. Naruto's ridiculous battlefield powerup, Karin's battered wife syndrome, people being happy to see Orochimaru. No seriously, the Third and his goddamned tortured experiments in Taka should be 150% pissed right now and trying to kill him. For reals, though, this looks exactly like what I imagine a mind-controlled world looks like. At this rate, the next chapter for this and Springtime of Youth will be the same.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

You could kind of tell that Sasuke's reaction isn't 100% genuine; it's probably almost like Madara's: He'll help with the battle, but once the smoke clears, it'll be him versus Naruto for a path (he is brain damaged after all). The only difference being Naruto will have to "surpass" the First and actually win him back over during the battle.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

No, this is loving stupid: http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/627/15. We're definitely trapped in an infinite genjutsu right now. Naruto's ridiculous battlefield powerup, Karin's battered wife syndrome, people being happy to see Orochimaru. No seriously, the Third and his goddamned tortured experiments in Taka should be 150% pissed right now and trying to kill him. For reals, though, this looks exactly like what I imagine a mind-controlled world looks like. At this rate, the next chapter for this and Springtime of Youth will be the same.

The third still had a soft spot for Orichimaru even back during the attack. So a reformed Orochi is something he is totally fine with leaving it be.

Juugo is loyal to Sasuke because Kimimaro believed in him. He will agree with whatever Sasuke does.

Suigetsu doesn't really have any motivation.

Karen probably couldn't do anything even if she was angry. Plus she was in charge of one of the facilities that Orochi ran IIRC. She should be pissed at Sasuke for the whole stabbing her thing. Not Orochimaru.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Apr 10, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Yeah Karin was originally pissed at Sasuke because she actually was loyal to Orochimaru and only joined up with hebi because of her crazy crush on Sasuke and Jugo has the least personality of anyone in this entire manga (and that's saying something) so him having any original thought would be hilariously out of "character".

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Not much to say about Sasuke's redemption except it was a lot less huge, cheesy, unbelievable, hamfisted and epiphany-like than I expected.

also

Naruto during whole manga: "I willl bring back Sasuke! I will bring back Sasuke!"

Percentage of Sasuke brought back by Itachi: 40.0%
Percentage of Sasuke brought back by 1st Hokage: 20.0%
Percentage of Sasuke brought back by 2nd, 3rd, 4th Hokages: 10.0% each
Percentage of Sasuke brought back by Orochimaru(!): 10.0%

Percentage of Sasuke brought back by Naruto: 0.0%

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Prison Warden posted:

Jugo has the least personality of anyone in this entire manga (and that's saying something) so him having any original thought would be hilariously out of "character".

Tenten. But yeah.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Dexo posted:

Tenten. But yeah.

I keep forgetting that the real Naruto isn't Springtime of Youth.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Prison Warden posted:

I keep forgetting that the real Naruto isn't Springtime of Youth.

You mean it's not?

In actual comic chat though, Was it a terrible translation error or was the fact that Karin is an Uzumaki kind of glossed over for being sort of a big detail? At least I can see it being a bit deal. A clan that basically made the tailed beasts their bitch is now gonna be heading to where the omega-beast is currently wrecking poo poo up. I mean Naruto and female characters etc but it'd be kind of a neat little foreshadowing given how that point has been kind of important in the past.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Robviously posted:

You mean it's not?

In actual comic chat though, Was it a terrible translation error or was the fact that Karin is an Uzumaki kind of glossed over for being sort of a big detail? At least I can see it being a bit deal.

This isn't the first time this has been mentioned. Naruto 579

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Robviously posted:

You mean it's not?

In actual comic chat though, Was it a terrible translation error or was the fact that Karin is an Uzumaki kind of glossed over for being sort of a big detail? At least I can see it being a bit deal. A clan that basically made the tailed beasts their bitch is now gonna be heading to where the omega-beast is currently wrecking poo poo up. I mean Naruto and female characters etc but it'd be kind of a neat little foreshadowing given how that point has been kind of important in the past.

Its not that important. I think he said it in a Databook like right after she was introduced.

Uzumaki's can't help but to chase after Sasuke. It's genetics.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Still don't understand why anyone would ever trust Orochimaru again. He's quite literally a snake. Also, someone needs to get Karin a psychologist because there's no way she's not going to stab either Naruto or Sasuke at some point.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Still don't understand why anyone would ever trust Orochimaru again. He's quite literally a snake. Also, someone needs to get Karin a psychologist because there's no way she's not going to stab either Naruto or Sasuke at some point.

Every Ninja in this series could use a psycologist.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Dude doesn't want to be stuck in the moon eye plan. I can buy that seeing someone else act the same as he has been doing from the outside would make him reconsider his past actions. I'm not sure how far it will go, but Big O has had nothing but time to think about his life.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I have a feeling Oro has something up his sleeve here, but part of me hopes he's on the up and up and it really is the powerhouse freight train headed to the battlefield. poo poo is about to go down, either way.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005
Naruto makes friends by punching, Sasuke makes friends by stabbing. It makes a bizzare sort of sense...

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nothing terribly unexpected this chapter, still the execution of Sasuke helping defeat Madara was alright. This isn't that surprising though; even if he still hates Konoha, he wants to destroy them. Not create some infinite bliss dream world.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 10, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
After seeing Kabuto pull it off, and the reformed Orochimaru, I kind of want to see what shenanigans Orochimaru could cause in the war if he became the Dragon Sage.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm kinda worried about how overwhelming the good guy force is now - either we'll see a lot of new power from the other side, or a lot of good guys are going to die.

Did anyone else see Road to Ninja? A good movie, but I feel like it could've been a lot longer to play with the alternate characters. Plus some things didn't really make sense...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mangastream is up.

Goddammit, they're on a break next week :smith:

• Locked thread