Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
You should probably make a distinction between intentional foreshadowing and retroactive linking. However, I can believe that Kubo planned out the main character's backstory a very long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Batmasterson posted:

I probably would have preferred it had Urahara been observing the fight, rather than just happening to bump into Masaki the next day. But I suppose it doesn't matter either way. I really do enjoy these flashback chapter, and I think Kubo has done very well so far.

You really think that Urahara 'just happens' to do what he does in this manga?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guilty posted:

You really think that Urahara 'just happens' to do what he does in this manga?

In this case, it looks like he was walking around in spirit form and wasn't expecting to run into a human that could see/touch him. At least it seemed to me that Masaki's friends didn't notice him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gyges posted:

In this case, it looks like he was walking around in spirit form and wasn't expecting to run into a human that could see/touch him. At least it seemed to me that Masaki's friends didn't notice him.

Come on. You think that was Urahara's "gently caress was that" face?

Thats the same face he had all those times he kept information from someone. He has all this poo poo figured out.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

You should probably make a distinction between intentional foreshadowing and retroactive linking. However, I can believe that Kubo planned out the main character's backstory a very long time ago.

Which would you consider retroactive linking?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Kild posted:

Tell them my name is Kurosaki and watch beds open up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kild posted:

It isn't possible to tell for certain. But having a new event call back to an earlier event which originally had nothing to do with the new event is just something that happens with serial fiction. Claiming that everything was part of some master plan from the start is just silly. Kubo isn't Aizen.

An example from One Piece is Trafalgar Law. Oda has no reason to lie about creating all of the supernovas at once on short notice. However, the events at Marineford were almost certainly planned out well in advance. At the end, the one who got Luffy out and saved his life was Law. Either Law was put in as a substitute for some other doctor, or else Luffy's wounds became more serious than originally planned as a way to bring Law in.

My point is, the writing process is a lot more organic than simply making an incredibly lengthy outline and then following it to the letter.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

It isn't possible to tell for certain. But having a new event call back to an earlier event which originally had nothing to do with the new event is just something that happens with serial fiction. Claiming that everything was part of some master plan from the start is just silly. Kubo isn't Aizen.

My point is, the writing process is a lot more organic than simply making an incredibly lengthy outline and then following it to the letter.

Also, learning to improvise and inserting possible plot hooks for later use are standard techniques in serial fiction. I once read something by Neil Gaiman about re-reading Dickens after writing comics and seeing him do the same thing. There's three artists with nothing in common.

Reading the recent chapters, and how they're a) better than usual and b) link way back to old plot points, makes me think Kubo planned the series from the beginning fairly tightly, but it deviated from the plan and got worse. Aizen and the importance of Soul Society/Hueco Mundo being deviations, the hypothetical plan being much more based in Karakura town, and Kubo's struggling to reconcile the plan with what he wrote.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://mangastream.com/read/bleach/38504462/1

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Thats the same face he had all those times he kept information from someone. He has all this poo poo figured out.

This. Urahara hasn't just "happened" to do one single thing in this entire manga. I'm curious to see if this changes our perception of his alignment--is he really chaotic good? Neutral and self centered? Is it all fun and games until his interests don't align with the greater good? I don't subscribe to the 'Urahara is the Big Bad' theory, but I would be pleased to see his character have a bit of a bad streak. And I say that because he's one of my favorites, and I think characters are best when they're complex and not purely motivated.

I liked how on page 6, bottom left panel, younger Isshin was drawn very similarly to Ichigo in the jaw/face. It's the first time I've really noticed any family resemblance being drawn in.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
That's a good point, and now with the MS version it does look like Urahara runs into her on purpose. But can anyone tell me what the hell happens to Masaki on the bottom of 19? Is that supposed to be her eyeball?

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
What exactly is going on in the last panel here?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

ArcaneTree posted:

What exactly is going on in the last panel here?

I believe she bumps into Urahara, who she is not even suppose to be able to see. She apologizes in the next panel.
Why his cloak changes color is beyond me, probably The Heart.

Also he totally hears her name from her friend, so he knows she's a Quincy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

It's awkward to say that a female character has "balls". :raise:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Ovaries are things that exist, you know. :colbert:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Silver2195 posted:

Ovaries are things that exist, you know. :colbert:

I'd have just rendered it as some variant of "That girl's got guts."

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Kyoraku's face on page 12 :v:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

I'd have just rendered it as some variant of "That girl's got guts."

Yeah except A.) It's a pretty common turn of phrase and B.) Ishin is a pretty crude guy so it fits him perfectly to say something like that.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

It really isn't. I've heard and used the phrase used for women nearly as often as I've heard it used for men. A recent example jumping to mind being Lana Kane referring to herserlf as having big balls at the end of episode 2 of the latest season, where she's killing the double agent with an improvised weapon (a falling tree). Although, I don't even think she refers to them directly honestly, it's just implied that's what she was gonna say (either that, or dick or something) since she says if I recall "and you know what they say about people with big hands? Big...". She's clearly referring to male genatalia of some kind though. It's a phrase that was co-opted a long time ago at this stage and is just taken to mean guts. Sure, they could say "she's got guts" instead, but as someone else pointed out, balls fits more to Isshin since it sounds cruder and frankly, funnier.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I do actually, because if he wanted to observe her there's no reason for him to let her know he's doing so, nor to do it by literally letting her bump in to him. If he wanted to observe her he could do so without her knowing if he wanted given that (a) she doesn't know he's looking for her or who he is and (b) his tech is pretty out there. I think he's got a rather subdued face on because he's a rather subdued person. He only acts out in really obvious ways when he's trying to fool people, and he keeps his real emotions in check. Including surprise.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 10, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

tsob posted:

I do actually, because if he wanted to observe her there's no reason for him to let her know he's doing so, nor to do it by literally letting her bump in to him. If he wanted to observe her he could do so without her knowing if he wanted given that (a) she doesn't know he's looking for her or who he is and (b) his tech is pretty out there. I think he's got a rather subdued face on because he's a rather subdued person. He only acts out in really obvious ways when he's trying to fool people, and he keeps his real emotions in check. Including surprise.

I think that he is going to have put some kind of monitoring device on her. I'm rather sure he ran into her on purpose, but it's the only real reason I can think of for that.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I saw Urahara's look as a bit more malicious and deviant. Plays on the whole Urahara was the bad guy the whole time theory...

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It's basically the same look he always gave in the first hundred or so chapters.

I really dig the center left Misaki panel on this page. It just looks different from what Kubo normally does.
http://mangastream.com/read/bleach/38504462/19

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Seems like Ishida's dad, his family or Misaki is connected to the Vandereich. Their badge thing is the same.

http://i.imgur.com/3gUPirW.png

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Kild posted:

Seems like Ishida's dad, his family or Misaki is connected to the Vandereich. Their badge thing is the same.

Given the fact the Vandereich are Quincies, yeah they're gonna have similar looking badges. Five seems to be the number of points for a full powered bow. Just like Ichiro's Fullbring.. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah, I think that's just a recurring motif with the Quincies, I think Ishida's third bow came out of a badge that looked the same way too.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I enjoyed early series Isshin's over the top love for his dead wife, so I really liked the way Isshin and Masaki were shown thinking about each other. It wasn't overdone at all, but it felt right as a beginning to romance we know ensues. I'm kind of impressed Kubo took the time to nail those emotional beats.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
This was like the first time the old man didn't grossly overpunish someone for something. Was expecting him to be sentenced to death.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Harry posted:

This was like the first time the old man didn't grossly overpunish someone for something. Was expecting him to be sentenced to death.

Well he probably called it even for the 3 people Ichigo alpha killed during Isshin's trip.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kild posted:

I want to see more of Ryuuken and Misaki in action just because the small bit of their weapons you can see makes them look cool. You're on a roll Kubo, keep it up just a little longer please.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Harry posted:

Yeah bizarrely laid back especially for pre ichigo yamaji

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Zyla posted:

Yeah bizarrely laid back especially for pre ichigo yamaji

Isshin is nobility. Perhaps Yamamoto is only socially allowed to press so much.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I hope Ichigo's new quincy powers don't mean that he's gonna start fighting with class and finesse now. His fight with butterflaizen was a nice change and pretty badass, but he was still punching through poo poo and grabbing faces.

Ichigo fights best when he fights like a god drat reckless animal. I wish Hichigo was just the main character sometimes. By sometimes I mean all the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I hope Ichigo's new quincy powers don't mean that he's gonna start fighting with class and finesse now. His fight with butterflaizen was a nice change and pretty badass, but he was still punching through poo poo and grabbing faces.

Ichigo fights best when he fights like a god drat reckless animal. I wish Hichigo was just the main character sometimes. By sometimes I mean all the time.

I want him to fire a Getsuga Tensho, that turns into an energy bow that shoots another Getsuga Tensho.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I think Ginjo might show up in the flashback. Soifon said he hunted down Shinigami to steal their powers. It's another way to have Isshin lose his power without using FGT.

milktwice
Feb 15, 2012
Yeah, we still don't have any idea how Ichigo's dad lost his powers,let alone how he regained them. I'm hoping that it wasn't just coincidence and we will eventually have that explained. Hopefully it was because he was also shot in the neck in an equally badass way by Masaki

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Final Getsuga Tenshou. How else would he have known about it?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Thoren posted:

Final Getsuga Tenshou. How else would he have known about it?

He could've learned it but never used it. Ginjo steals Isshin's powers, uses FGT and then loses his powers. Ginjo's loss of his powers needs explained and it'd explain both.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I still think that the Hueco Mundo arc should have ended with Orihime's death and Ichigo basically throwing in the towel. She professes her love to him with her last breath and it just shocks him into giving up fighting. Shirosaki takes over, the body undergoes a partial hollow transformation and basically tears a ragged Garganta portal into the mortal world. There, Ichigo is more of a distant threat. Reports come in of hollows and human spirits attacked and partially devoured. Shinigami who are sent after him are either butchered, if they're no-name filler guys, or if they're someone like Renji or Byakuya they hold back because it's still Ichigo. Focus shifts back to the rest of the Karakura gang, training with Urahara and/or the vaizards to take down Aizen. Have Grimmjow show up to teach Chad how to use hollow-like powers, since the fullbringers don't exist, and to bitch about how he owes Ichigo a beating.

I'm running on the original assumption that Aizen wanted Orihime to reject the Hougoyku to its unsealed state, of course. She would attempt to reject it out of existence entirely, only to be stopped by Gin or Tousen when it's at the right state (since she'll be effectively rewinding its personal timeline). It would have made a better story than the stuff we got. Aizen kipnapped Orihime for no reason, apparently.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I would've preferred Aizen killing Ichigo as Orihime watches and it pushes Orihime to erase Aizen from reality entirely(so that he never existed). There are so many interesting things Kubo could've done with Orihime's powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Just re-reading some of this quincy war stuff and I dunno how I missed it before, but it seems that anyone can use the quincy medallions to steal bankais. Ivan (arrancar) tried and failed at the beginning.

Ichigo's fullbring looks like a quincy medallion...

• Locked thread