Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Ursus Veritas posted:

Barrow, Caravels, Citycop., Mahria, Old Gray, The Reptilian, Shizune, Vales.

Those are a few existing (I hope) bands that I've enjoyed in the past, I left out bands that released stuff before 2008 since I assumed you'd be aware of them; Also this little exercise reminded me that Sed Non Satiata have a new album coming out this year.

Thanks for this will check these bands out, and yeah Sed Non Satiata is great, didn't know they were still around, etc though.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Suis La Lune reminds me Raein, too.

Yeah, into both of these bands. I picked up Raeins 6 track album they did in 09 or whenever but I wasn't that into it. I grabbed Suis La Lune's Riala recently but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Hoping it holds up to Quiet, Pull The Strings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Cloud the Cat posted:

Does this classify as screamo? I don't understand genres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE9DHWh3Vhw (The Amity Affliction)

either way, awesome australian band!

This is the utter opposite of screamo.

Perhaps check out Celeste for something screamo but incredibly heavy. And their previous band, Mihai Edrisch for less heaviness, and more France.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnkjAg60gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgRJNl9BiI

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Amanda Woodward, Mihai Edrisch, Belle époque and Celeste are all great French bands. Celeste is impressively oppressive, especially if you understand the language.

I think Celeste's releases are all free from their label? I think it's Denovali, but I'm phone posting so I can't be sure.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Amanda Woodward, Mihai Edrisch, Belle époque and Celeste are all great French bands. Celeste is impressively oppressive, especially if you understand the language.

I think Celeste's releases are all free from their label? I think it's Denovali, but I'm phone posting so I can't be sure.

Pretty much anything on Denovali is free and downloadable for free, or streaming for free off their site last I checked. Wonderful label.

http://denovali.com/celeste/

Streaming several songs with links to the albums for free. Warning though, it does start the streaming instantly, so check your volume.

Killsion fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 5, 2013

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Killsion posted:

This is the utter opposite of screamo.

Perhaps check out Celeste for something screamo but incredibly heavy. And their previous band, Mihai Edrisch for less heaviness, and more France.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LnkjAg60gw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebgRJNl9BiI

Like I said, I'm very familiar with older screamo. Most of the Denovali catalog is amazing. I love Celeste (earlier stuff more than later stuff, I never gave Morte(s) Nee(s) enough of a chance though). Though Amanda Woodward and Belle Epoque being around still would be news to me.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I don't think they're still around, I was mostly commenting on French screamo. Sorry for the confusion!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Speaking of French screamo, Time to Burn is likely to be of interest to Celeste fans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PSgaCx7RU

rivals posted:

Like I said, I'm very familiar with older screamo. Most of the Denovali catalog is amazing. I love Celeste (earlier stuff more than later stuff, I never gave Morte(s) Nee(s) enough of a chance though). Though Amanda Woodward and Belle Epoque being around still would be news to me.

Sorry, it was more just a general suggestion than directed at you. Maybe Cathedraal would be to your liking?
http://cathedraal.bandcamp.com/album/voix-blanches

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot about Cathedraal! I saw their name pop up in here before and checked them out then and promptly forgot but they are really good. And yeah, sorry about confusion etc :) This is all good chat anyway. I've been pining for more current screamo lately and esp with Comadre on their last tour that's like 1/3 bands I bother leaving the house to see anymore I realized I should probably get back in touch with current music again (the other two being Loma and Punch).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

rivals posted:

Someone recommend me good current screamo bands to make me feel like it's the early-mid 2000s again. Does this exist (and is not Touche Amore, PBTT, etc)? I've been realizing that a good 90%+ of what I listen to came out before 2008.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I've been listening to a lot of I Hate Our Freedom lately, ex-Thursday and Texas is the Reason.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

rivals posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about Cathedraal! I saw their name pop up in here before and checked them out then and promptly forgot but they are really good. And yeah, sorry about confusion etc :) This is all good chat anyway. I've been pining for more current screamo lately and esp with Comadre on their last tour that's like 1/3 bands I bother leaving the house to see anymore I realized I should probably get back in touch with current music again (the other two being Loma and Punch).

Loma Prieta is fantastic, I.V. was in my AOTY list easily. I like Punch but I find they fall into this weird category where people that normally hate this kind of music like them for some reason. Kind of weird I find. I think its just the tumblr crowd kind of thing, but either way, I do like them.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Cloud the Cat posted:

This type of poo poo is why I can never bring myself to say "screamo" out loud because it's what people assume you mean.

rivals posted:

Someone recommend me good current screamo bands to make me feel like it's the early-mid 2000s again. Does this exist (and is not Touche Amore, PBTT, etc)? I've been realizing that a good 90%+ of what I listen to came out before 2008.

Capacities are pretty cool. One of the guys used to be in The Saddest Landscape (or still is, I dunno) but they don't sound anything like TSL.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Kevar posted:

This type of poo poo is why I can never bring myself to say "screamo" out loud because it's what people assume you mean.

I know that feeling. I got a hair cut about 2 weeks ago and the nice barber mentioned her 15 year old daughter was into screamo music like Bring Me the Horizon and Asking Alexandria... needless to say I ended up having a nice music discussion with her. Also it just further showed to me such music is indeed meant for 15 year old girls, which I mentioned to her and she absolutely agreed, haha.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh I don't remember if I posted this in here or not but I stumbled on this a month or two ago. It's not screamo at all but still relevant to the thread but Gut Feeling is really good. It's ex-Catharsis doing youth crew-ish sort of stuff which is the other genre in which I'm still stuck in the early 2000s but more because every band broke up v:shobon:v.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

rivals posted:

Oh I don't remember if I posted this in here or not but I stumbled on this a month or two ago. It's not screamo at all but still relevant to the thread but Gut Feeling is really good. It's ex-Catharsis doing youth crew-ish sort of stuff which is the other genre in which I'm still stuck in the early 2000s but more because every band broke up v:shobon:v.

Never been a youth crew fan, but of course I love Catharsis. Not bad though.

Speaking of Catharsis, this should be required listening for this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1soepagNQ

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, I was really into youth crew but I also like Catharsis so hearing that is pretty great. I'm definitely into it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Screamo recs:

June Paik (sorry if everyone already knows these guys, I kind of get confused as to what is known and loved and what isn't)
Esazlesa
Aussitot Mort (maybe more on the post-rock side of things, but still worth mentioning.
Tel Fyr//Todos Caer 12" split Coming soon and sounds very promising.

Sidenote: I am really enjoying the new Caravels album. It seems a lot more subdued than other screamo I've listened to. I can't really explain it, but they sound quite different to most of the other stuff I've listened to which is very firey and passionate. Given that these guys were recommended to me as "like PBTT but not as good", I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

e: Everything on Aussitot Mort's bandcamp is free right now, so if you have any gaps in your discography: GOGOGO!

nomapple fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 6, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

rivals posted:

:hfive: nice to see a (non NC?) Goon gettin' on the Gut Feeling train. I saw them open for Catharsis a few months ago. They were awesome.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah, I'm nowhere near NC haha, I'm from CA. Super jealous though. I saw they had a few upcoming shows but all on the east coast :(

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Well I'm halfway encouraged by the reaction so far in this thread.

So a question I noticed popping up a couple of times was 'Why make a thread to concentrate specifically on bands from those 10-12 years rather than an emo megathread period? The answer is twofold:

Well, for starters, it wouldn't be an emo megathread, it'd be a Post-Hardcore/Emo(core) megathread.

Second, it's more along the lines of 'If you wanted a discussion about grunge, would you open it up to be about bands with a rather tenuous link to that sound who came on the scene 20 years later?'

This is not to say that we wouldn't be discussing any material that was published after that, or bands that were formed after that, but the focus should be on bands in that era/those specific sounds. This thread is about to start its 200th page, and is probably due for a new one soon. It just makes a lot more sense to me to have:

Punk/Hardcore/Emo megathread - for the general punk/hardcore/emo discussions & new releases
Post-Hardcore/Emocore/Screamo* megathread - for a discussion about these specific sounds and the few bands that still make records like that
Scenecore Megathread - for whatever happens in there

in terms of divisions.

It seems to me right now there is not really anywhere to discuss post-hardcore stuff (this is not really the best thread for that), this thread is too scattered to really have discussions about emocore and the same goes for 'screamo' (back when it was still just 'louder emo'). This is the kind of stuff that I want to discuss, I really don't care much for modern punk or hardcore, and would rather keep digging to find rarer tapes/eps/7inches I never heard of before. I must not be the only one

*not gonna use the other S-word, but that's what I mean.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It doesn't really matter to me what you do, but this thread doesn't really move that fast and seems to welcome all comers. It would suck to have discussion be even slower by moving post hardcore to an emo thread.

edit: yeah I thought the scenecore thread was all about what you want to discuss.

alg fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 7, 2013

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
I agree, even though there's not a lot of post hardware discussion in here, I feel a lot of the post hardcore stuff, like Glassjaw/Thursday/At the Drive In, etc. would be welcome here. Some people might hate it, but I doubt you'd be run out of the thread for bringing it up. Some of the shittier post hardcore, like Hawthorne Heights or Asking Alexandria or whatever can easily go in the scenecore thread. Breaking everything up even further just seems counter-intuitive.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
While we decide about the new thread, I have to say this: gently caress Troubleman Unlimited, what is wrong with you guys?

They have been saying for at least a decade now that they were going to release a completely remastered 'The Hated' discography and have done absolutely nothing toward making that a reality.

I've had the chance to hear a completely remastered 'What Was Behind', finally the right speed the band wanted it to be, and it's incredible. No wonder they disowned the version that was put out. They were an awesome band, more than deserve a whole 'discography' treatment and nothing is happening on that front. I've been waiting for almost a decade and a half now, and it's really frustrating.

vvv Everysong is indeed perfect

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 7, 2013

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Everysong is perfect. It's What Was Behind that was mastered at the wrong speed. And i agree: at the right speed it is incredible. Probably my favourite ever hardcore album. To think it was just a 6 year old unreleased demo until that too slow LP release came out. What a fate it's been given.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

rabidsquid posted:

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I've been listening to a lot of I Hate Our Freedom lately, ex-Thursday and Texas is the Reason.

Everyone in this thread should be listening to I Hate Our Freedom regardless of genre. :colbert:

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Cloud the Cat posted:

This is pretty sick, I'm bedroom moshing! But yeah, people in this thread doesn't really care for this brand of "heavy", come join us over at the Scenecore thread :)

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
OK so I am only 36 but I realize I am getting old when people say "emo" and I think gently caress yeah I like Sunny Day Real Estate and The Promise Ring then I click on a link someone posts and it sounds like the singer is having their nipples shorn off while the rest of the band throws their instruments in an empty dumpster over and over.

I think I basically skipped 2000-2008 in my music listening life.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Defleshed posted:

OK so I am only 36 but I realize I am getting old when people say "emo" and I think gently caress yeah I like Sunny Day Real Estate and The Promise Ring then I click on a link someone posts and it sounds like the singer is having their nipples shorn off while the rest of the band throws their instruments in an empty dumpster over and over.

I think I basically skipped 2000-2008 in my music listening life.

I'm more or less in your age bracket, and I pretty much ended up having the same reactions you did (and that's also why I wanted that separate thread). 'Emo' to me was always from Rites of Spring to SDRE, I kept on listening to that music but somehow there's a whole other genre that has nothing to do with what I knew as emo that developed.

I'm not even talking about Panic at the Disco! or My Chemical Romance and all that, apparently its still a vibrant scene nowadays but I have no idea what kind of bands play or what they sound like.

In a way, my tastes in terms of Punk/Hardcore/Post-Hardcore/Emocore/'Screamo' (I hate that last term) were pretty much set in stone by 1997 and I've had no desire to expend them since then outside of listening to the new material from those bands that are still kicking around.

Which is funny because in pretty much every other music genre I've always been listening to new material all the time.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Has anyone picked up the new Paint it Black yet? How does it stand in the Lexicon vs. CVA dichotomy?

Edit: Does AlexisonFire count as Screamo :cheeky:

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Defleshed posted:

OK so I am only 36 but I realize I am getting old when people say "emo" and I think gently caress yeah I like Sunny Day Real Estate and The Promise Ring

I always think of these two as part of a larger group with like Jawbreaker, Sarge, Braid, Cap'n Jazz, etc etc. The Sunny Day/Cap'n Jazz angle is around in like 1994!, Snowing, Algernon Cadwallader, Glocca Morra, You Blew It!, that kind of thing. Aaaaand the rest all got rolled into orgcore.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

nomapple posted:

Screamo recs:

June Paik (sorry if everyone already knows these guys, I kind of get confused as to what is known and loved and what isn't)
Esazlesa
Aussitot Mort (maybe more on the post-rock side of things, but still worth mentioning.
Tel Fyr//Todos Caer 12" split Coming soon and sounds very promising.

Sidenote: I am really enjoying the new Caravels album. It seems a lot more subdued than other screamo I've listened to. I can't really explain it, but they sound quite different to most of the other stuff I've listened to which is very firey and passionate. Given that these guys were recommended to me as "like PBTT but not as good", I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised.

e: Everything on Aussitot Mort's bandcamp is free right now, so if you have any gaps in your discography: GOGOGO!

Dude, thanks for the heads up on Aussitot Mort's discography being free on Bandcamp. I'd never heard any of their stuff before, and this poo poo totally kills. Totally endorsing everyone and anyone jumping on this poo poo.

I also listened to the new Caravels a couple of days after it dropped, and it's pretty awesome. Didn't really grab me as much on first listen as Floorboards did, but I think it's because the album is a lot more restrained and less raw and in your face all the time. Floorboards sounded like Identity Crisis-era Thrice wrote a Level Plane record. The new one seems to have some more stuff going on though, so I assume it'll take a couple more listens before it really clicks.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Damaged City Fest is this weekend in DC. It's going to be awesome. Especially the special guest(s) that I've heard are playing. Also Night Birds should be fun as well.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

rivals posted:

Thanks for this will check these bands out, and yeah Sed Non Satiata is great, didn't know they were still around, etc though.

Yeah, into both of these bands. I picked up Raeins 6 track album they did in 09 or whenever but I wasn't that into it. I grabbed Suis La Lune's Riala recently but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Hoping it holds up to Quiet, Pull The Strings!

Riala is amazing and definitely lives up to Quiet, Pull The Strings. Also if you like Raein don't forget about La Quiete. Gotta add some italian for your worldlwide screamo push pin map. Dannoso turbare il sonno delle persone, cavie immerse nel torpore da loro voluto.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Awesome Belgian noise / punk

http://missilesofoctober.bandcamp.com/album/hangover-EP

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The new Shai Hulud finally arrived today and maaaaaaaan what a ride. This is some good 'old style' hardcore for me, the stuff that really made me stop genre hopping and stick to hardcore for a good long while. Get get get.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a slime posted:

Just saying, I got burned last year because Circle Takes the Square was on the last.fm page and they later announced they had no idea why and had no intentions of touring Europe any time soon :(

It would be sick if they booked Ampere again! See you there amigo :hfive:

Well it looks like CTTS will be at Fluff. I hope they've rebooked Code Orange Kids as well!

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

Well it looks like CTTS will be at Fluff. I hope they've rebooked Code Orange Kids as well!

I should be in Paris on that date, gonna have to see if I can make this work. Thanks for the post.

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"
Jimmy Eat World just released a new song called "I Will Steal You Back". On first listen, I dig it. It's got a Futures vibe with a touch of their newer stuff. I'm excited to hear more of the upcoming album.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Well it seems the new Paint it Black is available for stream on Bandcamp, along with all their old albums.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Firecube posted:

Jimmy Eat World just released a new song called "I Will Steal You Back". On first listen, I dig it. It's got a Futures vibe with a touch of their newer stuff. I'm excited to hear more of the upcoming album.

Is Futures any good? I really love Stay On My Side, particularly "Disintegration", and I'm a big fan of Clarity, but I only moderately dug Bleed American because everything I love about the band seemed to be toned down and too poppy in spots for my taste. Which on reflection seems sort of weird, because I generally really love pop punk. Maybe I should give both albums another listen.

This track is awesome, and it sounds like the new album will be good if this is any metric to go by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"

Nails posted:

Is Futures any good? I really love Stay On My Side, particularly "Disintegration", and I'm a big fan of Clarity, but I only moderately dug Bleed American because everything I love about the band seemed to be toned down and too poppy in spots for my taste. Which on reflection seems sort of weird, because I generally really love pop punk. Maybe I should give both albums another listen.

This track is awesome, and it sounds like the new album will be good if this is any metric to go by.

If you loved Stay On My Side Tonight, You'll probably love Futures too. Most of the songs on Stay On My Side Tonight are just Futures-era demos. Futures is my favorite JEW album and I highly recommend checking it out. While you're at it, give Bleed American another shot.