Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

Sniffles and Zoinks.

This would be an amazing name for either a game or a Nickelodeon-style TV series.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I guess you could buy one of those bootleg "Baby Mario" versions of Bio Miracle, maybe? I wonder how much those go for these days...

I have one from when they were new (or whatever passes for newly-available in the Bootleg world in the NES days), be forewarned that the last boss isn't in the bootleg version since it required a disk flip which the bootleggers didn't bother with. :effort: When you beat the snake boss in 7-2 it soft-resets the game. I saw the last boss for the first time via the Game Center CX episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's a gimmick of a game packed with gimmicks. Can Arino gimmick his way through Mr. Gimmick?

This episode was translated for you by zari-gani and quality checked by Hirayuki, 2/9ths of the world's greatest baseball team.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 678.67 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Haam posted:

Are there any more puzzle game episodes that aren't translated yet? It's fun watching him be good at something for a change and I think I've watched all the translated ones.

Tant-R and Kickle Cubicle are it. Tower of Druaga and Ultimate Qix are kind of puzzlish, too.

Mace Bacon posted:

Be prepared to pay a lot for Bio Miracle, the cartridge re-release is really expensive and the Disk alone is like 30-40 dollars. (I should know, I bought one :retrogames:)

I accidentally bought a pirated copy for $2! (All I knew was I was buying a gaming penguin, I had no idea what it actually was...)

It was a part of a terrible system that used awful, unusable controllers. :negative:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
I watched the Fire Emblem Mystery of the Emblem challenge last night and I really loved it when Arino turned around in his chair to try and keep playing after a character had died. Wireless controllers and the Chief are a great combination. :3:

versus
Sep 11, 2001

:iw:
Nice. One of my friends has been waiting forever for this episode. I can finally tell him it's subbed.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for yet another new episode!

Echoing the conversation from the previous page, Mr. Gimmick has been on my wanted-list for a long time too, but it's simply too rare for me to buy at present time. (only ever got released in Japan and Scandinavia, which makes it a huge valued item among the local Finnish NES collectors.) I think there are repro's but they aren't available anymore and also very expensive.

It's a very good game though, played it on an emulator a few times. I think Arino will be able to clear it, but it won't be easy

[edit] The Sunsoft NES games have the best music. Gimmick, Batman, Blaster Master and especially Journey to Silius.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 10, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'm going to assume the Gimmick! episode is hilarious in that Arino will be awful at it. I tried playing that game last weekend and it's definitely not the easiest platformer ever. Hell, I couldn't even finish the first level

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

Thanks for yet another new episode!

Echoing the conversation from the previous page, Mr. Gimmick has been on my wanted-list for a long time too, but it's simply too rare for me to buy at present time. (only ever got released in Japan and Scandinavia, which makes it a huge valued item among the local Finnish NES collectors.) I think there are repro's but they aren't available anymore and also very expensive.

It's a very good game though, played it on an emulator a few times. I think Arino will be able to clear it, but it won't be easy.

You'd want the Famicom version of Gimmick anyway, it's got a new sound chip in there which the Scandinavian version does not.

Right now the easiest way to play the game (well, legally play the game) is to get it on the PS3 through the Japanese store and buying the Sunsoft Memorial Collection volume with it and Super Spy Hunter/Battle Formula.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your GCCX theme for this week: games that own but are heck of expensive to buy nowadays. I know what I'll be listening to while this downloads :allears:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for the new episode. Just about the only thing I know about the game is that it had rounded corners which has a very impressive technical feat at the time.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I am glad to see more of the newer episodes being subbed. Glad to see that most of the episodes from the first 14 seasons are subbed. Just 4 episodes left from that group. I am excited for season 17 to start tomorrow.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oh wow I've fallen behind on this latest batch of episodes---need to attack this fine backlog! Great to see even more fine works as always.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I've been excited for Gimmick ever since playing it for the Retro Game Masters thread. Unlike Takeshi's Challenge, Arino can die all he wants because the music in Gimmick is amazing.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

I hadn't checked the thread since this weekend, and now I have three more episodes of GCCX to watch. Thank you, team. You're the best.

Seith
Sep 28, 2011
Can't wait to see Mr. Gimmick tackled on this fine program.

I really enjoyed this annotated long-play that goes into detail about some of the finer nuances of this game. Definitely sold me on its merits.

RedFive
Feb 20, 2003

Thank you for the Mr. Gimmick episode!

Looking forward to seeing Arino get past this:

I definitely second Seith on the annotated long-play of the game. It's very interesting!

Part 1: http://youtu.be/zYcf2yUgblc
Part 2: http://youtu.be/BzsA3ziEIuQ
Part 3: http://youtu.be/DoznFNKFM1E
Part 4: http://youtu.be/0QH_pdDy95Q

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*

AzraelDarkheart posted:

Last I checked, this was the internet. People use emotes. Last page, someone who wasn't me used a "T_T" emote. Remind me why I'm getting attacked but this person got a free pass.
SA is a sort of bastion against that stupid junk that fills the rest of the internet. People skipped over his anime emote because you were much more obnoxious. There are plenty of actual stupid emotes for you to use as well. You're new, probably very frustrated right now, and you don't have PMs so I'm going to quickly help you out a bit here.
The price to get into the forum as well as the somewhat strict rules both go toward keeping that sort of annoying behavior off the forums (There are 175,897 users currently, which is a lot of people to keep in line.). That's why there's a probation system in the first place, to give a warning without outright banning everyone.

It's a comedy website, so people expect there to be a certain level of parody and general silliness, but the forums are generally geared to being more mature than you'll find in most places. Nobody here likes most memes or foolish emotes or whatever other crap you'll see all over places like 4chan and reddit, if you do something annoying and continue to push it and derail threads when you get a negative response you're very likely to get probated or have nasty custom titles bought for you (or in your case both). If you look at the top of the screen, you'll see several personal account options, information, and abilities to buy certain features like Private Messages or an Avatar for yourself or someone else ($5 and $10 respectively). Someone found you annoying enough to spend $10 just to give you an insulting custom title, that should tell you something right there.

When multiple people tell you to lurk for a while, it's because you're doing something that really doesn't fit in with the way the forums function here, and you really should consider doing it. Acting with a certain level of maturity and actually contributing to threads is encouraged, continuing derails and just being argumentative not so much.

Now back on topic, I am pretty pumped for this episode.
I only found out about the game fairly recently, I should really get around to giving it a try. I find it surprising that it never got released in NA, it looks very polished and seems like it would have done quite well.

TemporalParadox fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 10, 2013

Unmature
May 9, 2008

RedFive posted:

I definitely second Seith on the annotated long-play of the game. It's very interesting!

Part 1: http://youtu.be/zYcf2yUgblc
Part 2: http://youtu.be/BzsA3ziEIuQ
Part 3: http://youtu.be/DoznFNKFM1E
Part 4: http://youtu.be/0QH_pdDy95Q

I love Frank Cifaldi. I once got to watch him buy a $200 copy of Snatcher at PAX. But I missed him playing the C&C Music Factory game in the classic console room that night.

TemporalParadox posted:

I only found out about the game fairly recently, I should really get around to giving it a try. I find it surprising that it never got released in NA, it looks very polished and seems like it would have done quite well.

It was one of the many, many victims of a dying console. So many great games come out at the tail-end of a console's life and really use all of it's potential since the company finally knows exactly how to make games for it. Like Drill Dozer for GBA.

We did however get the pseudo-sequel in Trip World for Game Boy!

Unmature fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 10, 2013

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

TemporalParadox posted:

Now back on topic, I am pretty pumped for this episode.

It's probably because it was released very late in the Famicom's lifetime, after the SNES had already launched in NA. I guess they felt sales potential just wasn't very good at that point. I have no idea how it ended up being released in Scandinavia in 1993 though.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Really excited to watch the Gimmick! Episode. I was introduced to the game by watching this guy speedrun it in a little over 11 minutes. I don't know if it will be fun or painful to see Arino give it a whirl. Probably both, if I had to guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

evilalien posted:

It's probably because it was released very late in the Famicom's lifetime, after the SNES had already launched in NA. I guess they felt sales potential just wasn't very good at that point. I have no idea how it ended up being released in Scandinavia in 1993 though.

There were a lot of interesting Famicom games that were released from about 1991 on that just didn't get NA port because of waning support for the console. I find those final days of the console to be the most interesting times as experienced teams are putting out one last magnum opus for the platform before it goes away but because the audience has moved on they tend to be obscure games.

Another one like Gimmick is Hebereke (Ufouria); I've been expecting that game to show up on GCCX for years...

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Another one like Gimmick is Hebereke (Ufouria); I've been expecting that game to show up on GCCX for years...

Ufouria is a WONDERFUL game, but I don't think it's very GCCX. It's not really difficult, just exploration-y and meandering. It's a really early example of Metroidvania.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TemporalParadox posted:

SA is a sort of bastion against that stupid junk that fills the rest of the internet. People skipped over his anime emote because you were much more obnoxious. There are plenty of actual stupid emotes for you to use as well. You're new, probably very frustrated right now, and you don't have PMs so I'm going to quickly help you out a bit here.
The price to get into the forum as well as the somewhat strict rules both go toward keeping that sort of annoying behavior off the forums (There are 175,897 users currently, which is a lot of people to keep in line.). That's why there's a probation system in the first place, to give a warning without outright banning everyone.

It's a comedy website, so people expect there to be a certain level of parody and general silliness, but the forums are generally geared to being more mature than you'll find in most places. Nobody here likes most memes or foolish emotes or whatever other crap you'll see all over places like 4chan and reddit, if you do something annoying and continue to push it and derail threads when you get a negative response you're very likely to get probated or have nasty custom titles bought for you (or in your case both). If you look at the top of the screen, you'll see several personal account options, information, and abilities to buy certain features like Private Messages or an Avatar for yourself or someone else ($5 and $10 respectively). Someone found you annoying enough to spend $10 just to give you an insulting custom title, that should tell you something right there.

When multiple people tell you to lurk for a while, it's because you're doing something that really doesn't fit in with the way the forums function here, and you really should consider doing it. Acting with a certain level of maturity and actually contributing to threads is encouraged, continuing derails and just being argumentative not so much.

Fuckin Agreed!

Now, if youll excuse me, ive got a new episode of GCCX to watch

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

apophenium posted:

Really excited to watch the Gimmick! Episode. I was introduced to the game by watching this guy speedrun it in a little over 11 minutes. I don't know if it will be fun or painful to see Arino give it a whirl. Probably both, if I had to guess.

My only exposure to Gimmick has been watching Cyghfer repeatedly crush the game dozens of times, so it should be interesting to see it from a more normal perspective.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Mr. Gimmick is interesting to me because, i remember reading a review in my gaming magazine of choice, Electronic Gaming Monthly, and thinking as a kid, man that sounds sort of cool. However, time passed, and the game never came to be. No idea why the release in America was dropped, or if they were reviewing an import copy on the assumption it was coming, but either way, it never came to be.

On the actual topic, super excited for another Season 15 episode. So far, the track record of this season is fantastic.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Adamant posted:

I actually did find a guide here.

So for those who want to understand just how unfair and dickish Takeshi's Challenge is, here's a description of the first city, and how to pass it:

1) First, there's the two buildings where you can get money - your workplace and the bank. These were shown in the episode:
*In the workplace, you get 200000 yen from talking to the boss, 500000 yen from taking to the boss again and quitting your job, and there's a secret stash of 100000 yen hidden in the first room. Asking for a leave or a paid vacation will result in you NOT getting the 500000 from quitting your job.
*In the bank, you get 50000 yen from making a withdrawal.
(All this is pretty simple to figure out with a bit of trial and error save for the secret money stash, which you don't actually need)

2) Next, there's the stores, where you can get items by buying things. This includes the three non-karaoke bars. There are 8 stores in total, selling a total of 59 items. 12 of these will show up in your inventory when you buy them (hangglider certificate, scuba certificate, balloon certificate, ballroom dance diploma, breakdance diploma, airplane license, ship license and the 5 different airplane tickets you can buy). One of the items (tequila from Bar Gold) heals you a bit when you buy it. One of the item is a fake treasure map that shows you a screen similar to the real one, this one appears important but has no actual effect.

3) The pachinko parlor. 6 more items to buy with your balls here, 2 of which will show up in your inventory (the shamisen and the shakuhachi). Oh, and that "trick" they show to get 5000 balls right away? You HAVE to use it. If you just play normally (it's very easy to win, actually) you'll be asked to stop once you reach 3800 balls. The shamisen is 4000. Balls do not stack between tries. This game is a dick. (though thankfully the shamisen isn't actually required, it just makes things easier. Not sure how)

4) The karaoke bar. Unlike the other stores, this lets you "buy a new glass" after you drink one, which at least hints towards this possibly having an effect if you experiment a bit.
*Drink 5 glasses to get sent home. Your wife will ask you what you want now, with 5 options. Choosing anything but the divorce option will just make you leave as normal, and you need to repeat the drinking to get the question again. Asking for the divorce and then paying up when asked will get you the divorce papers in the inventory, which will at least hint towards that being necessary.
*Drink two glasses to be asked to sing karaoke. Only four songs can actually be sung - it doesn't matter which of them you choose, but the Shinkaichi one is easier to get a "good" on. Get 3 "good" in a row to make the yakuza appear, choose to fight them to make them fight, stay on the screen for a bit for the old man to appear, etc etc, you saw this in the video. You need to kill the old man to keep the map afterwards. Note that it doesn't show up in your inventory, though.

5) Finally, there's the airport, where you will take a plane if you have one of the five tickets in your inventory. If you have both the Southern Islands ticket and have killed the old man for the map, you will get to the next area, otherwise the plane will explode for no given reason and you'll get an instant game over.

This was only the first area of the game. Remember there are no hints towards ANY of this stuff, it's all about trying random stuff until you stumble over things that seem like they may be important.
Sounds fun yet?

Were you playing games in the days of Sierra adventure games? I'm becoming convinced "Beat Takahashi" is just Japanese for "Roberta Williams"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There were a lot of interesting Famicom games that were released from about 1991 on that just didn't get NA port because of waning support for the console. I find those final days of the console to be the most interesting times as experienced teams are putting out one last magnum opus for the platform before it goes away but because the audience has moved on they tend to be obscure games.

This is an interesting point, and was especially bad in the Famicom/NES days when cartridge sizes would roughly double every year or two which made old titles obsolete within the 1-3 years it would take to translate a game to English in those days. Dragon Quest IV's Japanese release happened I think before the Super Famicom was even announced (it came out 9 months before the Super Famicom), its US release over 2.5 years later was almost a year after the SNES and Final Fantasy IV's US release.

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I accidentally bought a pirated copy for $2! (All I knew was I was buying a gaming penguin, I had no idea what it actually was...)

It was a part of a terrible system that used awful, unusable controllers. :negative:

Oh cool, I didn't know the OUIJA came with pirated games.

Gimmick looks pretty awesome, I'm gonna have to watch those longplays now since I can't play the game myself.

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

This episode was translated for you by zari-gani and quality checked by Hirayuki, 2/9ths of the world's greatest baseball team.

This is a hint that the next episode to be released is Koushien, right?! :downsrim:

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
I've been lurking this thread a while but I just wanted to pop in and say a massive thank you to the translation team for their hard work. My brother introduced me to GGCX towards the beginning of the year and I have been watching an episode most days when I get in from work with my husband.

Random Stranger posted:

Tant-R and Kickle Cubicle are it. Tower of Druaga and Ultimate Qix are kind of puzzlish, too.
Of all the episodes left, my brother and I are looking forward to Kickle Cubicle the most! It was the very first game I ever bought (as a present for my brother when he was sick). It's surprisingly addictive and I still enjoy playing it now. I'm not very good at it though. :3:

I'm sure everyone has games that they would love Arino to play. Mine would be Fantastic Dizzy, Swordmaster or Gyromite and my husband would love to see Arino attempt any of the Streets of Rage games. We're both pretty excited that he's already played games like PaRappa, Golden Axe and Comix Zone and we're looking forward to getting to those episodes!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Those of you who don't watch until the King's message are missing out.

This must've looked incredibly silly in the original hiragana.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
My dog was very interested in the latest GCCX episode (even though she doesn't understand Japanese and I don't think she can read).

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Season 17 starts tomorrow. Can't wait to see the Mickey's Magical Quest challenge. Hope it is another 20 episode season. I know one episode that is most likely to come this season. Hope that Megaman 5 is pretty early in the season. I also hope that AD Matsui stays the whole season. I also want to see more of Abe's daughter Amane. I wonder what special things they will do this season for the 10 year anniversary. What do you guys want to see for the 10th anniversary guys.

Wonder if he'll take another trip this year like San Fran and Cambodia. I am from Baltimore and would love to see him come for Otakon. I know Arino is a big Otaku fan and that they have many Japanese guests.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I really hope they do a major trip for the 10 year anniversary.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

daveisawesome posted:

De-lurking for a moment to see if there's room for one more on the Swapnote train... 0989-1780-9175

Also, in case it isn't said often enough, you guys are just about the best people ever.

Add me back :) 0748 2017 5632

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
The ending to Gimmick! was exactly as I had envisioned. Great times.

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
Aw yisss, GIMMICK. I too have been excited for this one since falling in love with the game in the Retro Game Masters thread.

Thanks as always, ever-growing SAGCCX hero team family!! Your collective output never ceases to amaze me.

Lik
Apr 8, 2013

Kachou ON!
Never heard of GIMMICK. can't wait to check it out!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Unanimous conclusion from me and my 7 friends I watched Mr. Gimmick with, it was a great game and one of the best episodes.

The Live episode wasn't that funny and Inoue and the other guy really hosed up in terms of making their segments unbearable (they looked like they :lsd: an hour or two before they started rolling)

VV Yes you need to watch it on a real TV. It needs to be shown on a large TV. I speak from experience VV

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 10, 2013

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I finished watching Gimmick earlier. I had seen the raw a long time ago, but I forgot how it ended with the other Famicom freezing before the final level. I know you guys are probably beyond sick of this by now, but thank you again for another amazing job. :)

Also, watching GCCX on an actual TV is so much more fun. I really should do it more often. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

redmercer posted:

Were you playing games in the days of Sierra adventure games? I'm becoming convinced "Beat Takahashi" is just Japanese for "Roberta Williams"

I was, but I don't think it's all that close a comparison.

Most of the stuff you have to do isn't all that hard to figure out with a bit of trial and error - the karaoke bar is the only store that prompts you to buy another of the same item up to five times, so you'd logically experiment a bit to see what happens when you say no after this and that many drinks. The karaoke is involving enough to obviously be important, finding the one song of the four that's easy to win at isn't that hard, and since you're prompted to sing again, it's logical you'd try to win a couple times in a row to see what happens. When the yakuza yell at you, you only get two options - apologizing has no noticable effect, so you'd try fighting. You're thrown into a fight, so it makes sense to see if fighting them off has an effect... this entire sequence isn't hard to figure out, it's all about just trying the different options you have until you find the one that sends you further into the sequence, and every time you do something right it's obvious you found the correct option.

But here's the kicker:
When you get the paper, it's obvious one of the presented options is correct. The GCCX episode didn't explain them, so here's a rundown.
"Look at the paper" just freezes the game. No button you push will do anything. Press reset.
"Tear it up" and "paint it with ink" ruin the paper right away, these are obviously wrong.
"Soak it in water"... Well. Pressing the button at any time will ruin the paper. After 10 minutes the paper will automatically be ruined. BUT, if you breathe into the mike after 5 minutes have passed, and (obviously) before the entire 10 minutes pass, you'll get the map. This is horribly obscure and not something you'd really figure out.
"Expose it to sunlight" gives you the map after an hour.

The puzzle is one you'd logically solve after some experimentation. Three of the options can be canceled out of, and the other 2 are clearly wrong, so you'd logically try not canceling out of them. The water option destroys the paper after 10 minute, so you'll try the others, and eventually figure out that the sunlight one gives you the map after an hour. It's a trial and error puzzle where one of the two correct solutions is simple enough that everyone will eventually stumble upon it, though it'll probably take them some 10 tries or so, experimenting with the various options offered.
But remember... every time you want to try one of the options, YOU HAVE TO BEAT THE KARAOKE SEGMENT AGAIN.
And that's where it goes from being "a lesson in logical trial-and-error gameplay that really could've used some hints towards the correct options" to "an obnoxiously frustrating dick of a game".

(and keep in mind that until it occurs to you that since getting that map is obviously something you need to do, you should go get that right away, then save, because if you do something else first and it's not something you need to do, you'll probably gently caress yourself out of the possibility to buy the items you need, and will need to restart, doing the karaoke and the waiting game AGAIN)

Oh, and you need to beat the karaoke 3 times in a row without failing at all. If you fail once, you'll be asked if you want to give up. If you say no, and continue singing, you can get the "good" ranking a dozen times in a row, but nothing will ever happen. You MUST sing well on the first 3 songs you try after buying two drinks. Just to make it even harder to figure out what to do.

EDIT: btw, good luck if you don't know the songs. While the music in the background helps you keep the rhythm, it's nowhere near a good enough indicator of how you need to sing that you can wing it.

Adamant fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 11, 2013