Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah I have Paypal, haha. I don't need money, I need time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Salvador Dalvik posted:

I guess I should post my project since we just released it on the Android market.

It's the official Android app for Slickdeals.net, working with the guys who made the iOS app.

It's a mobile interface for that site, it handles their deals, forums and deal alerts. It uses the SlidingMenu library for navigation, along with the usual ActionBarSherlock, pull-to-refresh, ect.

More screenshots: Navigation, Sharing, Listings with floating headers.

Thats a really great looking app. Some of the icons look a bit blurred to me but that's a really minor thing and probably just me.

Salvador Dalvik posted:

I feel kinda bad because I haven't put any serious work into Awful in the last few months. I want to apply a bunch of the techniques I picked up doing this project back to Awful, but I'm sure to be back in the middle of a new contract within a few weeks.

Awful really needs a good cleanup and update release, there are a lot of bugs and annoyances that have been left to simmer for too long. I'm going to tackle a few of the major issues while I have time.
Don't feel bad. Awful is relatively stable right now (save that reloading bug maybe that I can't replicate). There is no hurry. Considering you have an iphone now it's great you are even still working on the app.

seiken posted:

You probably already have thought about this but if it could do caching of your bookmarked threads for when you're offline (like Currents does) that would be fantastic.

Yes it has been discussed a few times and there are a few ideas but it's not a priority to be brutally honest.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 4, 2013

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mug posted:

No kickstarter in Australia.

Indiegogo and Pozible both allow Australian users. No Australian users for Kickstarter is annoying...

Mug posted:

I'm taking two weeks unpaid leave before PAXAus. I don't have holiday pay / sick leave where I work. Just doing what I can :)

Casual/Contractor? That's the only reason i can think you wouldn't have holiday/sick leave... otherwise employer is doing bad things...

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

_Gumby posted:

Casual/Contractor? That's the only reason i can think you wouldn't have holiday/sick leave... otherwise employer is doing bad things...

I don't know about Australia, but here in the US you don't usually get holiday or sick leave unless you're salary, so he's probably just paid hourly.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Yeah I'm casual but with 40 hours guaranteed per week.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Mug posted:

Yeah I'm casual but with 40 hours guaranteed per week.

:raise:

How long has that been going on? If its been a while you might have the right to be classified as permanent, or be considered as perm for leave purposes. Of course, maybe you are happy with the casual arrangement though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Most contractor relationships are technically illegal in Australia but you'd have to complain to Fair Work or whatever to actually get anything done about it and most people like the increased hourly rate.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
This is super legal, we are really careful about this kinda thing. I am pretty involved in the business side of things whenever it comes up and we make sure it's 100% good.

Anyway this is way off topic. I should be promoting my greenlight :)

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

And then the doorbell would ring and the next santa would come
I like listening to baseball games, but never remember to actually do it while at work. So, I'm making this little status bar app that lists out all the games for the day and links each game to it's MLB Gameday page. I'm hoping I can find the time and wherewithal to add a way to login to MLB.tv and have the audio play right from the program because dang am I lazy.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

dustgun posted:

I like listening to baseball games, but never remember to actually do it while at work. So, I'm making this little status bar app that lists out all the games for the day and links each game to it's MLB Gameday page. I'm hoping I can find the time and wherewithal to add a way to login to MLB.tv and have the audio play right from the program because dang am I lazy.

I was wondering why it also had DropBox and Last.fm support, and then I got it :doh:

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I just drastically increased the speed of my Team Fortress 2 backpack viewer: http://www.meta.tf/backpack/76561197993753022

That page was crashing the server before, with a few objects getting to the size of a few hundred megabytes. I utilized a dynamic array object sort method I found on StackOverflow, and pre-sorted the array based on a property value. It allowed me to completely remove a second for loop while displaying an array, and it loads pretty quickly now. It exponentially decreased the amount of calculations and iterations to display an entire backpack.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Screenshot Saturday! I made some major technical changes and made it so the player gets hit, and can hit enemies back.

Blog post is here.

Per usual, the screenshot doesn't show too much, the real meat is in the videos and the blog pos.

Two videos this time! Although the second one might not make too much sense without the blog post that explains what it s.

Showing the player getting hit, and hitting back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ4rsD0SQqw&hd=1

Showing how the sword is implemented by turning a normally invisible entity on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHfgFoEoaI&hd=1

Orzo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 7, 2013

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I'm happy to report that http://www.beaglesnes.org is up and running. If you want my SNES emulator for your BeagleBoard-xM, go download it and go to town. I'm still working on the docs and all, but the code and filesystem images are available, at least.

Also, Internet Janitor, Suspicious Dish, and Lumpy: I'd like to credit you three for providing assistance with my GUI development. If you can PM me or shoot me a mail at hendersa (at) icculus.org with the name and contact e-mail (if you want one listed) that you want to be credited under, I'll get you guys in the docs as soon as I can.

thepedestrian
Dec 13, 2004
hey lady, you call him dr. jones!

dustgun posted:

This is rad. You might take a look at mlbviewer for an example of how to interface with MLB.tv. I'm pretty sure it handles audio streams as well as video. It was made by a Linux nerd back in 2006 when MLB.tv didn't support Linux and now he just keeps going for the gently caress of it I guess.

dustgun
Jun 20, 2004

And then the doorbell would ring and the next santa would come

thepedestrian posted:

This is rad. You might take a look at mlbviewer for an example of how to interface with MLB.tv. I'm pretty sure it handles audio streams as well as video. It was made by a Linux nerd back in 2006 when MLB.tv didn't support Linux and now he just keeps going for the gently caress of it I guess.
Whoa, very cool. I logged a bunch of their auth traffic to figure out how to add it in, but this'll be much better to go off of.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Here's a video of my wife playing Black Annex. It's a really daunting experience watching this kind of thing happen. I was stressing out really bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJl3zrV60_I

I'm the unopened box of condoms on the desk.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Mug posted:

Here's a video of my wife playing Black Annex. It's a really daunting experience watching this kind of thing happen. I was stressing out really bad.
Dude, I know that feeling. Letting my wife play with my app is nerve wracking. I swear if she ever wanted extra income she could be the world's most sought-after beta tester for the way she can crash any app.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mug posted:

I hate user testing. I hate personas. I hate people who haven't spent the last six months working on this drat thing suddenly having any right to not immediately understand whatever hacked up UX I developed.

Hatred.

Maybe condoms are the secret to good HCI.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
so the site I've been working on for awhile now is live (but not publicizing too much): http://cuesbey.com
https://github.com/rdennis463/cuesbey/wiki goes into a bit more detail on the "why" of it , but it's specifically answering a user story for Magic: The Gathering "Cube*" Designers:

"As a cube designer who's interested in finding new cards, I often want to compare my list to other lists I've seen out in the community, and I'm interested in where they are different. These differences may lead me to new cards I hadn't even thought of that I'd be able to check out."

* http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/tpc12/intro_to_cube

given two lists of cards, show me the differences in a clear and logical way.

using angular for the client side js, django/celery/redis/postgres on the back. Been working weekends/nights since late last year, and pretty happy with the execution given the narrow scope I bit off before release.

http://angularjs.org/ and especially their unit test platform has been great :). Big recommendations.

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

The dog is fine in Portugal - that big threat is away - you don't have to worry about crime anymore.

Orzo posted:

Screenshot Saturday! I made some major technical changes and made it so the player gets hit, and can hit enemies back.

I don't know if it's supposed to be normal behavior, but if you go to the 0:44 mark of the top video, you can see the bottom 2 enemies triggering even though you're not in their actual line of vision (I take it the torch should block their vision, plus if I remember correctly from the original zelda game, they only respond when the player is in between the two of them, not on top of them).

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

PirateMathew posted:

I don't know if it's supposed to be normal behavior, but if you go to the 0:44 mark of the top video, you can see the bottom 2 enemies triggering even though you're not in their actual line of vision (I take it the torch should block their vision, plus if I remember correctly from the original zelda game, they only respond when the player is in between the two of them, not on top of them).
Good catch. If I decide to keep this enemy (it's more of a tech demo than anything else), I will probably take obstructions into account. Thanks!

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I've been fighting with the logistics of releasing BeagleSNES as an open source project. I think that far too many people release software by just sticking it on the web as a tarball and saying "help yourself". There's a lot of documentation and packaging that goes into making software "useful" to an interested end-user or developer. The documentation is particularly important, since complex systems can be really difficult to get set up and running without good guidance.

As I started gathering up all of my various sheets of notes and began writing documentation, I have found that I keep identifying more and more things that should probably be documented. I could probably write a book on all of it. So, why not?

Man, I hope there's some open source software award out there that is given for "most awesome documentation".

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
I hate to do this to such an awesome project, but my inner OCD requires me to inform you that "funtionality" is spelled wrong on the second image, second paragraph, second line.

I will say though that I wish all the projects I used had such good documentation, props to you for sticking with what is usually one of the dullest parts of development.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Top Quark posted:

I hate to do this to such an awesome project, but my inner OCD requires me to inform you that "funtionality" is spelled wrong on the second image, second paragraph, second line.

I will say though that I wish all the projects I used had such good documentation, props to you for sticking with what is usually one of the dullest parts of development.

No problem at all. I welcome all feedback! Otherwise, how would it get any better? It has not been run through a grammar or spell check yet, so I'm sure there are plenty of typos in there. I'll probably sic a bunch of goons on it as editors prior to release, if I can get a few volunteers.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Just got the UI pretty much done for my TF2 trading add a trade function:

Also finished up my very basic admin area:

e^ Hard to follow that :unsmith:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 10, 2013

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

More documentation pages in progress! :stare:

Troubleshooting:

Kernel/bootloader timeline:

OK. That's enough screenshots of documentation.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Someone probably already did this, but I was curious about the post counts of various participants in my LP, so I whipped together a tool to scrape that information.

It can be used for any SA thread. Still needs a little polish and a lot of commenting, might throw it up somewhere.

Doesn't use any fancy stuff, just basic WinForms + LINQ + HTML Agility Kit.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

bgreman posted:

Someone probably already did this...

Well, kind of. If you click on the number of replies to a thread you get a list of who has posted the most in descending order, but you don't get the stats about first post/most recent post date.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

cliffy posted:

Well, kind of. If you click on the number of replies to a thread you get a list of who has posted the most in descending order, but you don't get the stats about first post/most recent post date.

Dang, I never even noticed that. Oh well, the first/last post stuff is still useful, and I'll be adding an export to csv function as well.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

hendersa posted:

More documentation pages in progress! :stare:

Troubleshooting:

Kernel/bootloader timeline:

OK. That's enough screenshots of documentation.

I don't suppose you've got a link to the WIP pdf anywhere? It's hell reading halfway through a paragraph and not having the next page available.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Ephphatha posted:

I don't suppose you've got a link to the WIP pdf anywhere? It's hell reading halfway through a paragraph and not having the next page available.

Sure. Here you go.

parkov
May 4, 2005
Vintage Ahoy!
Just for the hell of it, I made CRAPCHA (Completely Ridiculous And Phony Captcha that Hassles for Amusement).

You can play around with it here: http://crapcha.com

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Holy heck that owns.

I'm wanting to do little projects like that but I can't think of anything :(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ARACHNOTRON posted:

Holy heck that owns.

I'm wanting to do little projects like that but I can't think of anything :(

I want to have free time during the weekdays and I want to not feel sick when I see code outside my job. :(

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 12, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Kitties in hats, and in borrowed and tiny ties.

... the chaos engine (HTR's 2D artist) continues to rock, basically. Though I believe we should have 3D art of some of this soon, too, which'll be other artists.

EDIT: And now you can play russian roulette:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZDz4zp1kCg

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2013

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

parkov posted:

Just for the hell of it, I made CRAPCHA (Completely Ridiculous And Phony Captcha that Hassles for Amusement).

That is so good.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

parkov posted:

Awesome. It'd look even more ridiculous with several random characters close together as "words".

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

parkov posted:

Haha :) Captchas are frustrating and hard enough to read these days. This is amazing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I decided to learn 3D graphics and GL, so I wrote a BMD model viewer in WebGL:

It's based on an old thing a bunch of different people wrote called "bmdview2". I cleaned it up and started porting it over. No live demo, since it crashes Firefox right now, but when I solve that, some other bugs, and implement everything else.

I'm not sure why those materials turn out white. I'm guessing it's a Chrome bug maybe, since the same shader works fine on the desktop?

Also, I haven't even implemented parsing and decompressing textures. I'm legit impressed at Nintendo's artists for their ability to implement all this shadowing (even detail like this) using vertex colors.

Anyway, this is sort of a big "first project", since I'm learning the extremely quirky OpenGL API, and also pretty much emulating the native Gamecube GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Just added the minimap to my RTS

Edit: screenshot without JPG artifacts

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 12, 2013